Helping Hands

Helping Hands Employee Reviews

United Kingdom517 reviews

lovelyrotahandhelpingbranchplacementsupportmileage

Mixed

People are lovely, hours can be flexible. very little training before out on the road. Hourly rate attractive but by time you divide wages with hours worked including un paid travelling time you earn below min wage. Jobs are far apart in distance sometimes upto 20min of unpaid travelling. Other times you'll have an hour or 2 gap in the day again unpaid. Change jobs day before, either adding work or taking it away so you don't know exactly what you are doing until the day. Some jobs they don't give you enough travel time others too much . Fuel is paid but with rising costs it barely covers what you've used. Own vehicle needed so added costs of business insurance and wear and tear too. Majority of Clients are lovely. Lone working can be difficult.Modern app way of working & recording visits which is very good albeit time consuming.

2 September 2022
Good morning, thank you for your feedback. It is helpful to hear about your experience and thoughts, as it helps us to improve. Our dedicated team is on hand to try and deliver smooth job plans which work best for the carers and we do try to reduce traveling as much as possible, however, sometimes we know that there can be a fair bit involved, and this is why we have increased our mileage rate to be able to give carers a generous amount to cover costs to and from care calls. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed working with our lovely customers and found the app a good way to record visits! If there is anything you would like to discuss further in confidence, please email reviews@helpinghands.co.uk

Do not work here

The clients and carers are lovely but the management haha its a joke. . Long hours and no home life.. Stressed constantly . No support for workers . Gives you depression Dont work here its not worth it.

Insights into Helping Hands

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Excellent management

Great team work Great Management, kept informed on changes of care plans and customers well beingEnjoyed my time thereLovely company and staff and customers Good payThe only reason I left was for me, my calls were too far away from home

Supportive and respectful.

I love my job with Helping Hands. The office staff are respectful, organised and always on hand to answer queries. Hours are flexible and I dont feel pressure to work beyond my availability when I am asked to take additional calls. Travel time is mostly adequate between calls. Pay is a little low when factoring in travel time, though unpaid travel time is an industry standard and sadly something you have to accept working in private community care.Pence per mile is reasonable, as long as fuel doesn't increase further.I wholeheartedly recommend Helping Hands to both potential carers and clients alike, this company genuinely cares for their clients and are supportive of their carers.

Pros

Stress free and flexible

Cons

Unpaid travel time

lovely company to work for

I have worked with Helping Hands now for two years and have enjoyed every moment of it!! All office staff are so nice and helpful. I love the flexibility of the rota and how I can work around child care. I enjoying seeing my customers in there own homes and seeing different types of calls in the day, so it could be a shopping call or a bed time call.

Fantastic company to work for

I love working for Helping Hands. It is like being part of a family who really care for their staff and their customers. The rate of pay is great especially for the care staff. There are lots of additional benefits and swift start options. Full training is provided and the office teams are lovely.

2 September 2022
Good morning, thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. We are so glad to hear that you are enjoying working for Helping Hands and couldn't agree more that the 'swift start' option is great for carers who want to start working and earning straight away!

Poor management.

I worked for Helping Hands Reading for 1 year and the first 6 months were amazing. Management and staff worked well together, we were all treated fairly and our clients most of all were happy. Since a change of management in November, the branch has gone down hill. Clients are not made aware of call time changes, the staff are not kept up to date in regards to rota changes and when we do not hit our contracted hours, we are told we are not being paid for it. Although the hourly rate is good, we are not paid for travel time so some days carers are out of the house for 13+ hours but only paid for 7-8 hours. The atmosphere is tense and the management treat the carers awfully. I wouldn’t recommend working for this branch.

Fun workplace

Very helpful in training and schedule outlay. Helpful in questions and supportive in job placements and transport to and from workplace. Supportive of employees needs and preferences. Pay for your flights to the UK.

Pros

Free lunches and accommodation

Cons

Long hours with minimum breaks.

Not a nice place to work, unless your face fits

None helpful office staff. You offer to help them out yet when you need help they don't bother. Owed money for shifts covered but never received it.All managers in the office are nasty and none helpful and only help each other.

Pros

None really

Cons

None really

2 September 2022
Good morning, thank you for your feedback. We are so sorry to hear that you feel this way, this is not up to our usual standard. If you want to discuss your experience further with us, please email confidentially at reviews@helpinghands.co.uk

Very good

Loved this company more like a family. Good interview process lovely management lovely placements and I loved the training over the two days learnt so muxh

Pros

Good hours

Cons

People pass away

2 September 2022
Thank you very much for your review, we really appreciate your feedback and are so glad to hear that you enjoyed working at Helping Hands!

Would higher Recommend

I have worked for helpings hands since February and I have never looked back. Everyone is very welcoming and you can feel the family values it prides its self with. The level of support you receive from Area and Regional managers is second to none and nothing it to much trouble for them. The training that helping hands provides is brilliant and in person training and there are material that can be accessed all of the time should you need them. Senior management are always present. Helping hands value the staff and the time they put into the company is very much rewarded.

Pros

competitive salary

2 September 2022
Good morning, thank you for your review! We are so glad to hear that you find the professional training and ongoing support from senior management so helpful, it is definitely a big help to receive this support so that employees are able to develop and have opportunities for career progression, etc. We really appreciate your lovely words, thank you.

Face paced and lots to learn

Since working for helping hands I’ve gained a lot of opportunities in different roles and have learnt a lot. Sometimes it can get quite stressful but it’s a care company and a lot of responsibility’s However they pay well and management are lovely.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Sometimes long hours, staffing

20 July 2022
Working at a care company definitely will come with lots of responsibility/long hours but knowing you are helping so many people to stay in the comfort of their own homes makes the job so rewarding too! We are glad to hear you have had such a positive experience, we appreciate your time taken to leave a review.

Good workplace

I'm really happy to working with Helping Hands. Very helpful and kind people who take care of your needs. They do everything what they can to help you settle down.

20 July 2022
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review, it is much appreciated! It is great to hear you have settled in so well and are enjoying your time so far

Rewarding, amazing customers

Have some fond memories of my regular customers from my time spent at HH. Can be stressful at times with staff shortages and very fast-paced if your calls run over but overall very rewarding.

Pros

Customers

Cons

Can be stressful

Poor practice, lack of support, endless hours of working

Halifax branch very poor management, very short staffed, this become a regular thing as staff rang in sick due to mental health, over worked, constantly covering calls, no support from management, doing their job, going out to complete new business as well as being a cater and working in the office doing paperwork, no one listened or supported apart from care-co and CTP who had there own jobs but was told to do other things and struggled to keep up their role, it was a joke.

false advertisement

Don’t believe everything that is said in interview. They ignore your availability, the pay is absolutely too low for what is expected of you and guaranteed pay contract? That is non existent. They don’t tell you it’s zero hours in interview. You’re expected to just check the app at all times as they throw calls in without telling you. Most of the customers are lovely some are rude and very demanding. More training should be given due to some of the customers having very complex needs. No social life is what you get from this job. On call staff make you feel like a burden for calling them.

17 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way and want to assure you that this is not up to our usual standard. We believe that a good work-life balance is important which is why we give carers the choice to work around their lifestyle, you are able to accept or turn down shifts as long as it is within your agreed set amount of hours. If you wanted to discuss anything further with us in confidence, please email reviews@helpinghands.co.uk

Caring helpful workplace

This company are a wonderful company to work for the help and training is next to noneManagement are very approachable Work life balance is spot onThe company are extremely caring to the staff

17 June 2022
Thank you for your lovely review, it is very much appreciated!

Supportive team

Lovely company but pay not amazing but you do get job satisfaction.Supportive manager and office team.Good benefits and lovely customers.Get nominated for moments of kindness awards

17 June 2022
Good morning, thank you very much for your review, it is appreciated. We are so glad to hear that you find working with our lovely customers rewarding, we couldn't agree more!

Absolutely Abysmal

Easily the worst company I have ever worked for.Absolutely no support, you're expected to be available 24 hours a day, even when you have booked time off FOR A FUNERAL.The only thing that they care about is money. Couldn't care less for the customers or the poor staff who are treated like dirt. The higher up you get, the more of your soul you are expected to sell!When trying to take lunch breaks I, among other staff were told 'you don't have time for that nonsense'I was reprimanded for not answering my personal mobile phone at 0530 on a weekend that I was NOT scheduled to be working/on call. Work life balance is non-existant and there are no boundaries whatsoever.Nesrly always understaffed and with very good reason. The emphasis is on growing business and gaining hours and money, never on providing a safe service.Staff at all levels are treated with a derision for their

Pros

Cons

The entire experience

17 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are very sorry to hear this and we can assure you that this is not up to our usual standard. So that we can get a better understanding, and if you would like to discuss further, please email us confidentially at reviews@helpinghands.co.uk

Terrible company

Do not work for helping hands, they have you driving all over, when yougive availability and area you applied for, they completely ignore this!!Never get paid properly, always have to fight to get your wages!! They charge clients for travel at £3.50 per call and pay carers 35p Do not work for this company it costs over £250 a month petrol and you receive maybe £65 back.

Pros

Lovely clients

Cons

All driving. Not paid enough and never paid on time.

17 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed working with our lovely customers, however, we are very sorry to hear that you feel this way regarding the travel involved. We appreciate there can be a lot of travel when visiting customers, so we do pay above average at 35p per mile. If there are any discrepancies with your pay, we would advise that you speak to your line manager who will of course look into this and we will always ensure that employees are paid the correct amount. If you would like to discuss any issues further, please feel free to email us in confidence at reviews@helpinghands.co.uk

People nice and friendly.

Productive and fun. People nice and friendly. Management very supportive, always there if you need them. Free uniform provided. Free tee and coffee.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Helping Hands with

Learn about Helping Hands in popular locations

• Helping Hands
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?