Helping Hands

Helping Hands Employee Reviews

Featured review
Helping Hands selected this as a representative review
Lovely place to work for, very supportive throughout your whole time with HH not just through the application period. Room for staff development, constant supervision and management involvement to make sure you're confident in your role. I was new to caring when I started with HH, but they guided and supported me through everything and I am now a care and training practitioner within 5 months of being with HH. ☺
Pros
Holiday, competitive pay rates, support
Cons
Driving (but as a community carer this is expected alongside the role)
Initially a great company to work for with a good manager and care coordinator. Sadly the management team changed and bullying crept in. If your face doesn’t fit here, you will be treated badly. No work life balance. My availability was ignored and I was made to feel guilty when I said I wasn’t available to do work. Even on my weekend off I would be guilted into working.
Pros
Decent company providing good care
Cons
Horrible management
The management give me all the tools and encouragement I need to do well in my job. I am very pleased with the thorough level of training that's provided, which helps me know that the workplace really values quality of care. Admittedly, I've started off with fewer hours than I expected when I applied for the role, but I've since learnt that it takes some time to build up regular customers, which is understandable. Also, whenever I have any questions or concerns, the management are very receptive and transparent, which helps my trust in the company. Overall, the workplace is friendly and the work itself is lovely.
I’ve worked in other companies where there are far too many managers. Helping hands has a “team work” ethic which I enjoy and all the managers give constructive feedback to improve oneself and give work accordingly. Overall good company.
This is the only company not worth recommending specifically Richmond branch. Their trainings are repeated (you'll do online and offline during recruitment, a waste of time)-i hated it, they will force you to finish online training at a given time to suit their interests even when their system says otherwise, especially if CQC is on the calendar, their rotas are never staple, you can have a client on your rota one minute and the next minute client is off, and they don't even let you know about the changes, very disrespectful and inconsiderate management, they think they have your life in their hands and there's nothing you can do about that. Management is discriminative-they've got favourite carers they give loads of hours and the least favourite go without hours just because they have no obligation to give you work. When they need you, they sound very nice and friendly-(watch out for that dear applicant). If you are looking for reasonable hours of work, Try other Richmond care companies because you wont get that here - don't waste your time going through the lengthy recruitment processes and training, its a waste of time-do these with other companies. bottom line, APPLY TO OTHER COMPANIES. to HH you can do better - just get the right management team, Achene is the best to keep as branch Manager am sure there will be surprising developmental progress.
Pros
maybe next time
Cons
No regard for workers
I enjoyed working with Helping Hands, I had a wide range of clients with different needs and focuses.The office is relaxed and approachable.Long days are the hardest part, you may only have 5 or 6 visits for the day but you could start and 6am and not finish until 10pm
Pros
Local clients
Cons
Client visits spread too far apart which meant long days.
Worked here for 12 months was really good when I first started but it didn’t take long for the company go down in my expectations. Decent pay however you only get 19p per mile and they send you to different areas and they can’t co ordinate, always going backwards and forwards. My days were 12 hours long but I only had 5 hours worth of work. Avoid this company they will get you into debt, promise you hours but can’t provide them. Sometimes sent me out for 2 morning calls and nothing else, 1.5 hours it’s a disgrace
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Long days as gaps in between calls
I enjoy working hear. It is real team work. management always there to support. Good pay and career progression. Flexible hours with alternative weekends.
Pros
Support
Too much work involved as a coordinator. New branch so had to hire carers and seek out private service users. No or very little support from management. Set targets that were impossible to reach. Too much bitchiness within the company, with branch manager trying to make herself look good with management and making up lies to make herself look good. Avoid company.
Pros
Free laptop, tablet and mobile phone.
Cons
Long stressful hours, work every day.
They used to be a great family run business but now its all about targets and growing the business with no care fir staff or customers.All senior managers are from corporate backgrounds with zero care experience-and that us apparent as they woukd replace you very quickly. Staff feel under valued.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Helping Hands?
This company will tell you everything you want to hear when getting you to accept the job. The reality is that you are going in with a sense of security and high hopes which will soon be crushed. Make sure you get everything about the job in writing before accepting the role other wise they will walk all over you and when you try to stick up for yourself they will guilt trip you and email with subtle underlying threats. Be cautious joining this company.
Pros
Most of the clients are lovely
Cons
You will be stretched thin, spend a fortune on petrol, be sent all around Essex most days, (get paid a fraction of the time spent out) Lack of support or explanations, extensive travel.
Worked all over the UK good placements and they pay your travel train and bus they try to match you with the correct customer then you are both happy
Pros
Travel paid
Cons
Long hours not paid enough
I have worked for Helping Hands for nearly 5 years. I first started there when we were only 15 carers in 2016. I really enjoyed working. Management team was amazing then we had zlit of changes. I stepped up for a Care and Training Practitioner position in 2019. We were a great team together and I really enjoyed my time with everyone. The care team were brilliant and I wilm really miss them all.
Pros
Great care team
Cons
Alot if changes
I’ve been with helping hands now nearly a year, I’ve always had a pleasant experience working with them. The management are very supportive and helpful, my visits and times are always at what I’d expect them to be! Moving from a company that was making me depressed to this company has helped me massively come forward from that feeling.
Pros
Support management, great rates of pay, Lone working, hours to suite you!
This company has the potential to be brilliant as it has a lot of wonderful people working there with valuable experience but unfortunately they are so money mad and profit driven they use and abuse the people who make that money for them. The work load is extensive and unrealistic and when people were unable to manage that work load they were let go. If you are happy to operate in a cold and cut throat environment this is the place for you. If you value people and actually care, go somewhere else. This company will not value you at all and doesn't care about its staff or customers.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
Long hours, unpaid overtime, targets targets and more targets, competition between regions, poor management
I have now been working here for a year now, I really love my role as care coordinator. My manager is extremely supportive. The job has it's challendes but overall a very enjoyable role.
Pros
Monthly team meetings, little treats at christmas and easter (small present)
Cons
There are lots of opportunities to progress at this company and they really do want to push you in the right direction. It's a fast-paced environment but I've learnt so much since I've worked here. It really is a great place to work.
Poor management that was more interested in gossip that actually work. Poor culture where management talked about staff things that weren’t appropriate.
Pros
Free dbs
Cons
Cleaning effective work
Lovely place to work, everyone is so lovely it’s like a little family. Yes some customers are more difficult than others but you do get used to dealing with it. Amazing training and quick progression and long term prospects avaliable.I love my job and to be honest I love going to work everyday and miss it when I’m not there or have to have a day off.
Pros
Lovely customers, fabulous care coordinator and branch manager, always there to help.
Cons
None found yet.
Love my job, you are kept very busy and the job can be very demanding at times. Not always enough support now a couple of the office staff have left over the last year but I am sure the new ones will find their feet soon.Manger is not always good with the way she comes across at times and would maybe benefit from Some form of training.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Demanding job at time
Friendly and fun company to work for The family run the business when I worked at helping hands Training was excellent Gave excellent support to carers by our manager June hillyard
  1. Employee reviews