Helping Hands
Happiness score is 60 out of 100

Helping Hands Employee Reviews for Caregiver

Caregiver3 reviews
United Kingdom3 reviews

Always different shifts available. Allows you to be flexible with working patterns Good training available and kept up to date with mandatory training.

A humanitarian role!!

PAY: I had a 32 hour contract @ £11:50 per hour. Helping Hands don’t pay for travelling time, waiting time between calls, break time or if a call runs over. I worked 3 long days (7am - 10pm) & therefore on duty for 15 hours each day but only paid on average 11 hours per day. This means my ACTUAL hourly rate was £8:43 per hour ROLE: VERY fast paced, which can be physically exhausting & stressful.

Poorly Supported, stressful job

Helping Hands had the potential to be a good experience, but fails to meet the mark. The interview process and training week were actually excellent and initially I was really looking forward to the job. I made some good friends during the training, who I still talk to years later. I expressed interest when starting in live in care stints no longer than 2-3 weeks. I am young and went to England to be close to unwell family and good friends, so 2/3 weeks on, one off was my ideal. I got placed almost immediately but on arrival is is when I first noticed communication struggles. The family of the lady I cared for were expecting a more static carer- her previous was a much older lady with grown children of her own and as such was happy to work for several months running, without days off. Noting that you're not allowed to really make friends in the area you work, constant days for multiple weeks are really intense. Following this, I many times agreed to a 5/6 week run. The lady I cared for had quite advanced learning needs and didn't understand or would sometimes 'punish' me for taking breaks. I cannot fault my service users family- her sister was excellent and without her support and communication I certainly wouldn't have lasted a year. Helping Hands however were at fault as soon as the interview process was over. When starting a placement, contract requires you have a support visit the day of, I believe a week later and then every month following. The care manual at my placement was roughly a year out of date, so I actually rewrote mine with assistance from -

Cons

Infrequent Support visits

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Helping Hands?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helping Hands. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Helping Hands with

Helping Hands Reviews by Location

• Helping Hands
  • Caregiver
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?