Her Majesty's Passport Office

Her Majesty's Passport Office Employee Reviews

United Kingdom32 reviews

hourgoodmanagementworkingjobworkpassportplace

Nice so far

I have just started working there this week through an agency. I was employed for 20 hours but i have managed to reduce it to below the 16 hours which is perfect for me. People are friendly and they're not overly strict so long as your polite and get the work done. It's not too busy and I'm learning a lot. You need to be well organised.

Pros

Breaks, friendly people

Cons

Unpaid holidays

Shocking

Shocking place to work, bad management, back stabbing staff, lack of training, work to life balance is horrible, thrown around departments, lack of any progression

Insights into Her Majesty's Passport Office

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Not paid enough for the amount of knowledge required to do the job

Used to be a good place to work. Had 2 separate grades and pay for easy / more complex cases but then made it all the same grade so you've got some people doing the easiest straight forward work getting paid the same as more experienced staff doing very complex work. Support depends on your manager. Some excellent team managers but others with no people skills and no clue about the work and you wonder how on earth they got the job. Some managers are bullies by they move the lower grade victim instead of sorting the problem. Couple of good things are the flexi time and ability to take your breaks and lunch when you choose within reason.

Good people to work with

Would recommend to anyone out of work and seek to get back into a job. The people you work with are friendly and training is good. Senior management are a little aloof.

Producive & fun work place

The training is well accurate All help is provides by management Co-workers and all are amazing There is good understanding of when to have a laugh and when work needs to get done.

Pros

Paid breaks Flexi shifts /swaps

Home Office

I worked with Her Majesty's Passport Office 27 years.Excellent job my advise go for it. They have flexibility. Lots of department s. Colleagues friendly. Close to amenities town centre!👍😊☀️

Pros

Local town centre. Gym close by. Flexible hours, overtime if wanted

Cons

I havnt got any cons, great place to work!

Every body was friendly and it was a nice place to work

The job was only temporary but it did get extended, it was a good place to work and the hours are flexible, the only down side was that the training wasn't the best, you get shown something once and are expected to know what to do

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

The training wasn't the best

Overworked, stressful and repetitive call centre

It's a call centre job so expect call centre level of work. Big focus on stats and KPIs. Its tiring, exhaustive and repetitive business. But if that doesn't bother you then its easy money.

Pros

Working from home

Cons

Call centre

Not a great place to work.

Really stressful, micro managed with unrealistic targets, no real support for managers. If you ask for help, you won’t receive it, and you’ll be labelled as someone who speaks out. Not worth it for the salary. Despite being so many managers, they went there to help or support you. They are there to tell you off when you don’t hit the completely unrealistic targets. It’s a stressful and toxic environment and not worth your mental health.

Pros

No pros.

Cons

Stressful, unrealistic and unachievable targets, no support from managers.

Sweatshop conditions and bullying management : evening shift Belfast

I worked here for almost a year in a part time (evening) role. Ok let's start with the interview: This was an on site interview and was structured around the examples you gave on your application, team working, working to pace etc. An explanation of the situation, task you performed, why you did it and reflection as to how it went is all that's required here. Just remember your examples and be prepared to explain what happened in a logical sequence. And the job.... The role is basically one of processing passport applications. Sounds easy, right? Wrong. There is an absolute ton of law to know regarding who is entitled to a passport and under what circumstances. There are three or four quite complicated pieces of law going back nearly 100 years that you have to be familiar with. If this is your main job, then it's manageable. If you work part time and/or work at another job during the day, the sheer amount of information they expect you to absorb during a handful of training sessions is staggering. Also, I meant what I said about sweatshop conditions. Once you're trained you'll be given a box full of applications to process. This will involve checking whether the person is entitled to a passport by virtue of birth or some other means....if it's a child you'll also need to check who has parental responsibility.....if it's a new application you'll have to check birth/adoption certificates, make inquiries regarding the countersignatory, if the person lives in one of around 50 specific post code areas (or high risk areas) you'll also have to perform even more checks.....add -

Pros

None that spring to mind

Cons

Shoddy management, antiquated IT systems, boring repetitive work

Good Staff

My initial experience was good, I started within one role and then was handpicked to go towards a different facilities role, not many employers would give you that chance in a different environment so I was thankful for this. Pay was better than most places, working hours weren't too difficult, same as most work places. Definitely scope for moving up and down the ladder as you see fit and management seemed good and supportive, I know not everyone will have this experience but I have a fairly positive one.

Stressful and fast paced

This is a place where people come to get their passports. The environment can be stressful at times due to the nature of the work and the targets that is expected of staff. Overall, the benefits are more or less that of all civil service departments however, strict management and a lack of staff awareness causes a stressful environment.

Pros

civil service

Cons

shift work and long hours

Excellent Environment for Team Working

Input Data to Government Data Bases including Official Register Office for accurate records creation for Passport Applications. Skills Gain IT , Team Working, Collaboration, Process reviews, hardest part of job learning a new IT system. Skills gain through structured training programme.

Nice pkace to work.

Management are two faced hypocrites. If you are not a brown nosing, touting, back stabbing yes man then your life is made difficult. The management punish independent thought and initiative. But reward liars. Bullying from senior managers is extremely common.

Pros

Flexitime

Cons

Managers that are bullies.

Good role

Enjoyed it, liked the people who worked there, management wern't the best but the hours were good. Only had to work evenings monday to friday and got paid weekly

Amazing staff

I loved HMPO. I'd do anything to go back if I could. Excellent management, immaculate training, flexible around your personal life For a customer service job I think the salary is great! Plenty of services available within HMPO including couselling free of charge if you need a chat. Really a great place to work and I envy anybody who works there!!!!

Pros

Fabulous staff, plenty of breaks and 'comfort' time.

Learning Experience

A typical day at HMPO was: Opening Post. Distributing and Sorting Documents. Data Entry. Filing. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance my studies with my shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job was the social aspect of things, everyone who worked there was always in great spirits.

Pros

Short Hours - Evening Staff

Cons

Trying to balance my studies and my job in one day.

great fun

it is an experience, meeting different faces each and every day, very energetic, helpful, productive, positive hard working , brilliant smiles all around.

Pros

getting recognised for the hard wok

Cons

only having 45 minutes dinner in a 10 hour shift

Innovative and knowledge-sharing

A good place to work, friendly atmosphere. All employees help each other. Away Days help share knowledge and brings everyone up to speed with current developments.

Pros

Fast delivery of policies

Cons

Security to tight

ok place

Examine passport applications, keep up to date with current policy and procedure. Dealing with customers face to face and over the phone. Working as part of a team and on my own

Professional work environment

Management very supportive and available if required. Colleagues worked well together again supporting each other. Office was very well set out. Lots training and advancment available

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Her Majesty's Passport Office. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement