Heriot-Watt University

Heriot-Watt University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom61 reviews

Loved my temp job at Procurement. Had the best colleagues, manager and the job was fun. Sadly it was a timelimited position for 12 weeks. Would have loved to stay for longer.

Pros

Hybrid work

It was a fun place to work but the culture has shifted significantly since 2017-18 onwards.

My personal view is that HW management works on a command and control style and this is totally against any form of Continuous Improvement culture according to my research for the past 20 years. Leadership was weak and people engagement was not so great either.

Insights into Heriot-Watt University

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility

Great place to work! Work life balance is brilliant and pay is good. Safeguarding involves a lot of walking but the campus is beautiful so can’t really complain! You get well trained and there’s constant support from team leaders and co workers.Overall a friendly place to work, would definitely recommend!

Great

Great. Training scheme and friendly work environmentGood facility to carry out my work;Great leadership management and high efficient team work .Great information sharing and communication.

Cant Complain Much

Good Place To Work, Great Opportunities To Gain Experience Working With Students And Helping Them Whenever They Require Assistance, Gained My First Aid At Work Cert Also Done Some Mental Health Training Also, Good Training Matrix And Meet Alot Of Interesting People, Couldn't Fault Any Of The Experience And The Salary Is Great Also, Comes With Alot Of Perks And Everything Is Easily Done Online

Pros

Wages, Hours, Experience, Training

Cons

Very Quiet When No Students, Open To Anyone To Walk On Campus

Poor

Was a Extremely good company for the first 5 years then management changes then went through the floor. It's the type of place where we have always done it this way. What more can I say.

Pros

Very little use to be good

Cons

Poor management

Relaxed workplace

Good resources to help with research. But lack of accessibility to it. Phd or researchers can not use equipment or facilities on their own or at anytime. You need to book to use and if the technician is not there you waste valuable research time. Other than that all good.

Great academic environment, competitive and productive

I enjoyed working for Heriot Watt University and have great time with colleagues who are so helpful and collaborative. Great institution and place to work for.

Pros

free parking, spacious offices, great wellbeing and care of staff.

Cons

location of university makes difficult to live around and find accommodation nearby.

productive and colaborative work place

Herito watt is cosmopolitan university, peopole from different backgroun, origine and ethnicity work together on a daily basis which make it a really great work atmosphere.

Very motivating and encouraging colleagues and supervisors

Relaxing environment which encourages critical thinking and life-long learning. Supportive colleagues and supervisors who encourage communication, presentation and technical skills development at every opportunity.

Excellent professors and lecturers. Amazing fellow students. Good campus.

Heriot-Watt is a tertiary institution with a very good learning environment. Pros: Excellent professors and lecturers. Amazing fellow students. Good campus. Cons: I enjoyed my study in the university, nothing to complain about.

Excellent work place

Excellent place to work in a diverse environment .hopefully there would be opportunities to grow and achieve more.i got to learn new technology and approaches to customer service.

A relaxed work environment

Not a bad place to work, but like most academic institutions there isn't a clear career prospect for non-tenured staff. The work environment is quite relaxed and if you have a good line manager you'll enjoy it.

Great

Great environment to study and work as research scientist.

Great

Great environment to study and work as a research scientist.

Interesting Work

Good management with regards to Psychology and a comfortable work-life balance. Interesting psychological research is being done and it is a joy to be a part of it.

Good company

Worked here for 12 yrs wish i never left good company staff are amazing and had really good times wages are good and pension and holiday time is good as well

Productive and fun academic environment

International and multidisciplinary working environment, supporting colleagues, state of the art scientific apparatus, good postgraduate societies, beautiful outreach activities

Boreing no motavation to work.

Thought it would be a job till retirement WRONG. The section I was in where more interested in sitting in the work shop sleeping or chatting. Some of the work I got and completed in half hour had been sitting waiting to be done 6 months before. The client told me that some one came and that was 6 not her ago. All it needed was a M12 lock nut to complete the job.( 100s in the store). This was how it went on , other work which I thought was in our discription of works was handed to outside contractors for no good reason. Over time was never offers it was declined on your behalf by the forman. On call was given to the forman unless he desided to give it to another from a list 1# to 6th so only if the other 5 refused I got the job. Must say other trade sections where better worked with each other but the joiner section was a joke. Management new and did nothing. GUTLESS.........

Pros

Ideal for lazy people

Cons

Cleakish if your face dose'nt fit beware.

Family Friendly Employer

Heriot-Watt are a family friendly employer. They offer flexible working schedules, e.g. condensed hours to accommodate the needs of their employees. They also have a nursery on campus

Pros

Large picturesque grounds, flexible working, good pension scheme

Cons

Low moral, insufficient staff communication

I was a student

Great environment for learning. Great lecturers. Great area of the city to get to in rush hour traffic. Clean environment. Good support from all the staff within the university.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heriot-Watt University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement