Hertfordshire County Council

Hertfordshire County Council Employee Reviews

Enjoyed time at HCC. Would have liked more support from management and room for progression. Good colleagues and facilities. Liked the flexible working.
Pros
On site parking. On site canteen. Flexible working.
Cons
Work issues not always dealt with by management.
Get yourself an organisation that will appreciate you for who you are. You can never progress if they don’t want you too. Promotions and career progression are suited to the chosen few.A lot of uncertainty.
Pros
No comment
Cons
No comment
3 February 2021
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry that you have had this experience and will raise your points regarding lack of career progression.
There is a lot of racism embedded within children recruitment services. The person in charge of children social work applications is rude and makes it clear non white applicants are not welcome to apply for roles in children services. Hertfordshire needs to wake and join other local authorities with tackling systematic racism.
Pros
Good training opportunities
Cons
Racism and bullying nature
21 September 2020
We are sorry to hear about your views of the Council. The wellbeing of our employees is of paramount importance to us and we have a zero tolerance approach to racism. As such, we would very much wish to discuss the matter further, and would encourage you to contact us by emailing: HRServiceDesk@hertfordshire.gov.uk Any communication will be treated in strict confidence. We look forward to hearing from you
I have found Hertfordshire to be Professional in their approach and support to employees and fair. They support personal development and training well. Caseloads can be high but I do feel that they listen. Supervision is regular.
19 June 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback about working for HCC! We appreciate you taking your time to review us.
Opportunity to progress and self educate in social care. Progression is excellent expectations high relocated from Borehamwood six years ago ability to transfer to different levels
10 June 2020
A great company to work for with opportunities for career development. I started in an advisory role and moved in to other roles as services developed across the Local Authority.
23 March 2020
Great place to work, to gain experience and to really blossom as a health and social support worker. The staffs are easy to work with, friendly and there are opportunities to grow into management position.
12 March 2020
Although a large expansive site, it is DDA compliant in every way. You meet a lot of really friendly, polite and considerate people. If I hadn't moved house, I think I would have liked to have remained in their employment, but the commuting was not feasible.
20 February 2020
Awful place to work. Cannot park most days and waste time having to drive into town and pay for parking. Pay is very low in comparison for same admin roles Elsewhere. Paid very low.
17 February 2020
Thank you for your feedback regarding working for Hertfordshire County Council. We would encourage you to contact us by emailing: hr.recruitmentorders@hertfordshire.gov.uk . Any communication will be treated in strict confidence. We look forward to hearing from you.
Before starting I was given a induction on the place and a information booklet to take home and memories all the information. I learnt what was needed for my job title which was all the software on the computer. The hardest part of the job was the extreme nature of the time spent. AS it is customer based some periods would be very long and boring and others would be very busy that there was no time to sit down. The most enjoyable was the benefits as a member of staff as I was in the library I could have extra time in borrowing books and using the e books for free whereas other people had to pay for it. It is completely different to sitting as a customer in there. A lot more is expected . Also it can be very noisy at times especially with a child group every Tuesday morning at 10-11.
17 February 2020
Management, people skills and organisational development can be improved in stressful working environments. Overall its a good working place to work for.
13 February 2020
Worked here for years. Had to leave when the bullying and harrissment got too far. Personel are the biggest problem, Back the management, rather than the staff. Blame culture is rife.
23 January 2020
We are sorry to hear that your view of your time with Hertfordshire County Council was not positive. The wellbeing of our employees is of paramount importance to us and we have a zero tolerance approach to bullying. As such, we would very much wish to discuss the matter further, and would encourage you to contact us by emailing: hr.recruitmentorders@hertfordshire.gov.uk. Any communication will be treated in strict confidence. We look forward to hearing from you.
Interview procedure quite straight forward. Clearance took longer than expected as checks are thorough. Pay not fantastic but I’m working with good people and live close to my workplace. Overall a good experience. I’ve been employed for nearly 5 months now.
30 December 2019
I was a lollipop lady last year, it was a fun job and my trainer was very helpful, the job helped me interact with all sorts of people from teachers to parent.
9 December 2019
The majority of the time you are left to figure out what is going on around you i.e. major changes, there is not active management. Colleagues are often fixated on what you are doing rather than theirselves and although they promote working as a team this is not the case rather, they will bother you when something is needed and when you are of no use to them they are unwilling to utilize your potential.
2 December 2019
We are sorry to hear about your experience with Hertfordshire County Council. As such, we would very much wish to discuss the matter further, and would encourage you to contact us by emailing: hrservicedesk@hertfordshire.gov.uk. Any communication will be treated in strict confidence. We look forward to hearing from you.
Rascism must be overcome at all costs it exists and deeply rooted in hertfordshire county council. Also older management team need fresh appraisal and recycling.
2 December 2019
We are sorry to hear about your views of the Council.The wellbeing of our employees is of paramount importance to us and we have a zero tolerance approach to racism. As such, we would very much wish to discuss the matter further, and would encourage you to contact us by emailing: HRServiceDesk@hertfordshire.gov.uk Any communication will be treated in strict confidence. We look forward to hearing from you
A council that tries to do it's best for the taxpayer, but creativity s stifled by Political Correctness, and an atmosphere that once in it's almost impossible to be fired, leading to laziness and ineptitude
22 November 2019
Hertfordshire County Council require newly qualified social workers to complete a 6 month period of training on top of your degree in order for your to be accepted as an ASYE Social Worker in Hertfordshire. During this time they effectively re-train you; which is not required at all and then put so much pressure on you to perform assessments that you feel like you cannot cope. I was told to go and see a counsellor and also told to go to the doctor and go on anti-depressants. All y management. I was constantly reminded of reasons why I may be struck off which created a fear in me and felt I was working in a management led blame culture.
15 November 2019
We are sorry to hear of your negative experience with Hertfordshire County Council. The ASYE is a national programme delivered by the majority of Local Authorities. Participation in the ASYE supports newly qualified social workers (NQSWs) to consolidate their degree learning, develop capability and strengthen their professional confidence in an employment environment. Hertfordshire has recently reviewed their programme and is delivering this with NQSWs based in teams across Children’s Services, with on-going support from a centrally-located, dedicated ASYE Assessor. We offer a 12-month training programme, Action Learning Sets, group supervisions and mentoring, as well as regular drop-in support for NQSWs and Team Managers and a number of digital learning opportunities (pod casts, e-learning, subscriptions such as Research in Practice and Community Care Inform). We would encourage you to contact us by emailing: hrservicedesk@hertfordshire.gov.uk.
I did my apprenticeship here which was my first ever job. The company had a great process for interviews and for looking after their apprentices. A good apprentice wage, but the permanent wage was fairly low. Pension was amazing. Flexi-time. Amazing experience.
12 November 2019
Not the best company to work for. Potential for promotions etc afe next to none, its not happening. They are so stuck in their old ways, that giving them new ideas is futile. The company is not worth thr hassle unless, you're looking to retire and dont mind working in a monotonous way.
12 November 2019
Was there for my final year statutory placement. Really enjoyed the experience. The staff were very supportive and the training was well structured. The place has a lot of resources in place for learning.
17 October 2019