Hestia

Hestia Employee Reviews

Serious and a good place to learn

I have been working at Hestia for a short time in the last 2 years and I can confirm it is a great place to learn and be exposed to different areas of an organisation.

It's a terrible place to work

My experience with Hestia was positive for the most time. However towards the end I realised what it means to be "thrown under the bus" with no mercy.

Draining

Staff always leaving due to no support/help from management. No encouragement for progress. Training is rubbish. Do not work for Hestia. They pay crumbs for the amount of work you are doing. The best part about the job is interacting with the clients, however, even then most things we do is just for statistics..

Very Poor

I very much enjoyed doing group activities and support work with center members but I was victimized in this job by management, the pay was low and the hours were un-necessarily long, my fellow team members were mostly hostile towards me and I was unfairly dismissed.

Pros

Group Activities and one to one support work.

Cons

Bad Management, low morale among staff, low pay and long hours

Overloaded by work

. Poor management . Lower paid compare to other charities . Working extra hours . Overloaded by casework . Stressful work///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

It was a Job, I enjoyed interacting with the clients.

They do not encourage progression into other job roles. Day staff earn more than night staff, who do unsociable hours, which is not correct.. some colleagues are great fun, and others who are control freaks due to being in their jobs a long time and can not handle progression. The company does encourages outside training.

It appears nothing has changed

They make you work hard for minimal money, I was just lucky to be part of a great team. Management support was limited as they were under their own pressures, restructuring didn't help matters. I left when I was going to be managed by a woman who turned out to be a notorious bully. Her demands were unreasonable and not thought through, she cared nothing about her teams.

Not a bad experience

Hestia is not that bad for work as an outreach worker but travelling Cost is really high. I needed to travel end of east to end of south and end of north in one day. Which was so difficult

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Pay is not good in relation to the job and needed to go one place to another, which is really far

Hestia develop a culture of collaboration with the service users

Hestia work to get the men and women we support, who are all in vulnerable situations, whether through ill mental health or homelessness, to engage with staff and the higher structure and make changes that benefit more and more people in similar situations.

Learnt a lot

I typical day at work would vary depending on Service Users needs. Long hours and very little appreciation There is a lot to learn and training provided. The opportunity to move sideways but not really up.

Jobs at Hestia

See more jobs

Fun and helpful environment

I am happy to work in a place where I know that we are helping others in need, I am surrounded by a group of professional colleagues and inspirational people.I am happy to work in the company.

Do not work for this company

7 area managers in 5 years. They talk the good talk but do not care about their employees. Management break all rules and procedures then leave before they are fired leaving services in turmoil. Never fully staffed so other members of staff are carrying out 2 roles at a time. Managers have no Training therefore unable to support staff members. Bullying and harassing in management.Discrimination and employejng family and friend and if you challenge them They find a way to fire you. Il be hanging in my resignation soon

Cons

Dynamic, busy, challenging, progress focused

I enjoy working with Hestia as a Team Leader. It is very dynamic, there is a lot of movement which suits my character and personality as well. I run 6 properties, called the Community Houses, low support accommodation in the Mental Health sector. The team is great. Everybody is very supportive and helpful. It gets challenging at times and the job requires greater responsibility, vigilance, good managements skills, patience and pro activeness. However trainings are provided on various relevant topics and if you like challenge and dynamic, vibrant and dedicated people, you are in the right place. On a typical day of work, there is a medication supervision AM and PM with the clients. There are two shifts, early and late shift. Key working sessions with clients and supporting them with appointments, achieving their goals and building a trustworthy relationships with them and the team (colleagues). Supporting the clients in the process of their recovery. I have learnt a lot so far and I am grateful for this opportunity. I have built a lot of valuable skills that help me manage my team better each day. There is a lot of diversity in the work place, people from all over the world, which is amazing and gives opportunity to learn about different cultures. The hardest part of this job for me is when I see client relapsing and needs to be admitted back to hospital, even after much hard work has been done to support them otherwise. Most enjoyable part of this job for me is when I see my team comes to work smiling and positive, ready to smash the day, always striving for better. -

Worth waking up for in the morning

I genuinely love my job. I have been with Hestia for 3 years. I identify as disabled and from day one received a huge amount of support from my Director allowing me to work full-time. It is hard work with hectic days but it is it immensely rewarding. I know I can get a lot more money for the same role elsewhere and although salary is important, job satisfaction so much more for me. Yes there are companies that pay more as there are companies that pay less but I have personally seen talent nurtured and grow in their career, myself included. People have a real passion for the work Hestia does and although I hate that alarm early in the morning, I don't dread going to work as my team is absolutely amazing and supportive. There is an increase in face to face training available with the portfolio of courses constantly expanding. There is a real culture of learning and development. There are roles which offer flexible working with the core hours between 10am and 4pm.I am an early bird so get in early and leave at 4pm. Others prefer to get in at 10am and leave later. Hestia is constantly bringing in new services and I for one can't wait to see where the charity goes. It has been an exciting journey so far.

Pros

great team environment, supportive management, flexible working, good benefits.

Cons

Pay can always be more of course and a health benefit would be great.

Awful experience - terrible management

It’s very corporate and although they talk a good game they do not treat their staff or service users with respect. Petty inexperienced management who only care about statistics and outcomes but show little understanding of the client group.

Cons

Hestia is middle of the road charity three out of five

Hestia has its rewards with TOIL working Monday to Friday its training is poor its support loading with local authorities can be strained. It suffers from Large turn over of staf

fun and beneficial

It helped me gain an insight into the lives of families who have been through hard and difficult situations, therefore I have learned a lot whilst working.

Pros

friendly colleagues

Cons

Values based, service user led, supportive organisation to work for.

I have recently joined Hestia from a different background and I am very confident and pleased with my decision to join. Hestia's values; Respectful, Genuine, Dedicated, Collaborative and Courageous are very much at the heart of what Hestia is all about and it is acted upon every day in the office, in the services and by staff. I have been so pleasantly surprised to see truly, how service users contribute to Hestia's vision and day to day delivery. Service users are welcomed, encouraged and facilitated to influence and participate in designing; front line work all the way through to the work of the senior operations team, team of directors and the CEO. It is certainly unlike anything I have seen elsewhere. There is a lot of work, however this is replicated across similar sectors and I take responsibility to manage my own workload, however my manager and peers are also considerate and conscious of my work load and are on hand to support if I need them. Budgets will always be a challenge in these sectors and I would say resilience and innovation and key attributes which will support you in any role in the sector and at Hestia. Especially when trying to stretch the budget to best deliver for service users, budget holders, fellow colleagues and benefits for the organisation. This balancing act will always bring its challenges in every organisation. The team I am working with are very experienced, dedicated and a pleasure to work with. From my experience so far, I have seen very positive working environments at Hestia at all levels. Although Hestia is championing -

Pros

Hestia Rewards

Heavy workload 38 clients

A typical day at Hestia is to see as many clients as possible. They have gone for a contract where you have to do 31 hours in a 39 hour week excluding travel time and including a 7.5 hour duty day per week. You have no energy for a work life balance you spend a lot of your weekend worrying and catching up as you have to take a laptop home. Mental health on employees is burnt out most staff leave, including the managers the head office is not supportive its all a numbers game.

Pros

clients, colleagues

Cons

long hours, high caseload, mental health, physical health, emotional

productive and fun job

it is very special ti be able to help peope who really need help at all. I have learned to be more kind, patient and affectionate with the people I care for. the most difficult part of working is physical and mental effort, the most pleasant to perceive as they thank you without saying a word. Helping in what I can.

Pros

good places

Cons

far away sometimes

no help

As floating support worker the job was hard as there wasn't any real help given to the people who needed it. the management is poor staff always leave.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hestia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement