Highways England

Highways England Employee Reviews

Highways England staff have a wide range of expertise and skills and come from all parts of the community. As a member of Highways England you will be collaborating closely with our partners across the supply chain to help carry out a challenging programme of work
15 September 2020
Thank you for your review. We're glad you're enjoying your time with us.
Poor. No development strategy, no investment in talent. Non technical. Project management and KPI focus. Poor ethics regarding team and graduate development.
Pros
Cons
Too long a list
14 December 2020
We’re sorry to hear you didn’t have the best experience with us. The development of our colleagues is a priority for us and part of this involves taking the time to read and digest these reviews. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.
I was press ganged into this organisation then bullied out by a vindictive line manager and his cohorts. This, however was not before I witnessed staff having driven to Nottingham from Birmingham do a few minutes of work then leave presumably to go home early, with the cabal doing likewise.
Pros
Great if your face fits
Cons
You will be mistreated if you do not fit in
15 September 2020
We’re very sorry to hear that you had this experience with us. This is not the kind of work environment we promote at all and we take accusations of bullying very seriously. Thank you for brining it to our attention.If any current employees have experienced similar issues, we recommend contacting your line manager in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact HR in confidence to discuss this.
Control Room Traffice Officers.... So short staffed that holidays are non existant... Management if ok IF your face fits.. Understaffed by 50 percent..the Shifts are BRUTAL and change so often you just want to sleep..Handover add 45 minutes to each day.. WINDOWS 7
Pros
Parking...
Cons
Hours Pay Conditions Equipment and lack of Holiday
15 September 2020
Sorry to hear that you’re not having a good experience with us. As employers who promote a healthy work/life balance, this is disappointing to hear and not the kind of work environment we support. If you have any immediate concerns with your conditions or management, you can contact HR in confidence to discuss this. We hope this situation improves for you soon.
nice place to work good training nice people good location good salary nice office helpful training good progressions flexible working hours good pension
15 September 2020
Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying so many aspects of your work at Highways England.
You need the training & experience to work in a very fast traffic work area the only thing between you & the traffic is cones you need to watch out for each other at all times & be professional in all your work .ps but I loved my job great lads too work with .
15 September 2020
Thank you for your review. Keeping our roads and colleagues safe is absolutely paramount for us. We’re glad you enjoyed your time with Highways England so much.
Highways England is a good place to work and fun with awesome team qualities in a vibrant office environment. Management are approachable and great to work with. However there is to much red tape in HE, and you only get to keep your job if you know someone who can pull strings otherwise your not so lucky,
15 September 2020
Thank you for your positive review, we’re glad you enjoyed your time with us so much. We aim to provide a fair experience for everyone who works at Highways England, not matter their role or department, so we’re taking comments like yours on board.
A busy work environment which works 24/7 to serve the people of the country travelling for either business or pleasure on a daily basis. Making sure customers got to the preferred location as safely as possible.
15 September 2020
Keeping our roads and colleagues safe is paramount for us. Thank you for being a part of it and for leaving us a review.
Good environment Good culture Opportunity for multi site working Agile working Good training Excellent office space Work / life balance encouraged Ideal location
15 September 2020
Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your time with us at Highways England.
Management blame culture, work place bullies Actual work load is bliss, management are only interested in own progression and not the progression of the staff.
15 September 2020
We’re sorry to hear you’ve had this experience. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We take accusations of bullying very seriously.If any current colleagues have experienced similar issues, we recommend contacting your line manager in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact HR in confidence to discuss this.
I am a truck driver with numerous years experience, their try filled all the gaps in my know age bank, the way I east rested by them was embarrassing and disrespectful. Found they had no respect, them, for people with a social, disability
15 September 2020
We’re sorry to hear you’ve had this experience with us. We value the wellbeing of our people. Looking after their mental health, as much as their physical health, plays a big part in making sure Highways England is a safe and supportive place to work.If any current employees have experienced similar issues, we recommend contacting your line manager in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact HR in confidence to discuss this.
Over stretched, at work 24/7, resistant to change, competitive environment, no agility in problem solving, unchecked spending on projects that have little worth. No clear accountability to deliver solutions.
Pros
nice building
Cons
overloaded with administration
15 September 2020
Sorry to hear that you’re not having a good experience with us. As employers who promote a healthy work/life balance, this is disappointing to hear and not the kind of work environment we support. If any current colleagues have experienced similar issues, we recommend contacting your line manager in the first instance.
Working as Highways England has been interesting the people are welcoming and encouraging. Management are approachable if you need their advice and the work is varied. You are also able to add to you knowledge and experience
15 September 2020
Thank you for your review. We like to encourage a collaborative environment at Highways England, and it’s great to hear that your experience reflects this.
The job can be relaxed and stressful depending on what your dealing with. It a safety critical job and can be dangerous. you have to be prepared to work in live lanes of the motorway and drag cars off to a safe area. if you get it wrong Highways England will not support you. interesting and rewarding job helping and supporting the public.
15 September 2020
Thank you for your review, we’re glad you’re enjoying most aspects of your work. The safety of our colleagues is extremely important to us and we’re dedicated to complying with the highest levels of Health & Safety. If you do not feel properly supported, we recommend contacting your line manager in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact HR in confidence to discuss this.
The pay doesn’t keep up with the cost of living. Top managers pay rise more than I earned in a year. Poor decisions made by management. Little to no chance of advancing unless you are prepared to move areas In the commercial area Work is dull and without reward. I have worked in far more progressive public sector organisations.
15 September 2020
We’re sorry to hear you’re not having a great time with us. Engaging our people is a priority for us and part of this involves taking the time to read and digest these reviews. We hope you start to see an improvement soon.
Colleagues are lovely, work-life balance is good, delivery is prioritised over everything, not sure about the progression, "its who you know" is something you hear a lot
15 September 2020
We’re glad you enjoyed most aspects of your time with us. We aim to provide a fair experience for everyone who works at Highways England, not matter their role or department, so we’re taking comments like yours on board.
The job was ok, we were taken over numerous times until the government scrapped the toll. I gave 30 years loyal service and was made redundant. i enjoyed working there
15 September 2020
We’re glad you enjoyed working with us. Sadly, redundancies are often unavoidable, but we’re truly grateful for your time at Highways England.
busy environment, not much job advancement within the contact centre, however there are others within the business. As work can be busy/stressful, & contact centre is 24hrs, you rely on your colleagues a lot. Everyone is great, management can be questionable but all advisors are nice.
15 September 2020
It’s good to hear that your experience with us is mostly positive. We’re taking the time to listen to our colleagues and take comments like yours on board. Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review.
There is no communication between HR negotiations and the manager on the job. This put me in a difficult position of having an agreement with HR and my new manager knowing nothing about it. There is little work across all departments and no rush to get anything done. There are lots of office politics which resulted in me handing my notice in.
15 September 2020
We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had this experience with us. We’re taking the time to listen and take on board feedback like this. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.
Good company to work for, provides great opportunity to demonstrate your initiative. Great team working spirit, openness and collaborative form of working.
15 September 2020
It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us so much. Thank you for your time at Highways England.
Supervisors are little gods and no one can change it as the whole management culture, it is a dog eat dog, but colleagues are fun and the work can be fun at the time
Pros
you've got to have a thick skin
Cons
shifts and long hours
  1. Employee reviews