Highways England

Highways England Employee Reviews

Job security good work colleagues overall not a bad place to work

Good conditions, own boss, no 2 days are the same reasonable benefits there was also reasonable training shift work includes early late and night shift

Catching up

This could be the greatest work place in the world. But can be slow and draining, with a bully bit mentality! There is good progress in some areas, but HR is in trouble with its diversity issues within the business.

Pros

Travel arrangements

Cons

Long hours and inexperienced project team

Great team to work with and love my time within highways. Always fully supportive of career development and constant praise from team leaders. If you are thinking of applying just do it best place ever

Pros

Great atmosphere

very good company to work for

its a busy and demanding job role but can be very rewarding supported by a government owned company with great benefits such as discounts and a good reward scheme recognising valued work

Pros

interesting work

Very ordinary

The idea of having a civilian patrol service to free up police is on paper an excellent concept on paper, however giving this role to Highways England has been a travesty. An organisation that is incapable of organising and maintaining any decent working conditions. A culture of reporting colleagues has developed which has caused an environment of mistrust and resentment amongst colleagues. Working safely in a high risk environment required trust between colleagues to ensure completion of shifts in one piece however that trust from certain individuals has been eroded to a point where colleagues will not work with others knowing that they will not have their backs. The organisation oppresses any thought or speech if it diverts from their mantra even if its constructive criticism or any ideas that do not come from senior management. The organisation talks a good job but working for them was completely the opposite. Some very vindictive people work there stay clear.

Pros

Decent money

Cons

Unhealthy shift pattern, vindictive colleagues, hypocritial senior management, untrusting workplace culture.

Bullying culture

Shifts are around the clock as with most emergency services. You really do have to beg and grovel to get any annual leave whatsoever.There is a terrible bullying culture in place from the line managers upwards. There is always a critical staff shortage and it’s time somebody looked into the rapid staff turnover and the reasons for it.Couldn’t wait to leave there and it was the worst job I’ve ever had.

Pros

Parking

Cons

Everything else

Traffic officer

The job itself is good also satisfying and can be difficult at times also sometimes traumatic as we deal with an array of circumstances from debris to accidents, lane closures to serious incidents involving the use of other agencies .24hr 7 day a week 6 shifts on 3 shifts off

Pros

Pay is good for what you do

Cons

Managers are only helpful when it benefits them

26 May 2021
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to hear that you haven’t always felt fully supported. If you are experiencing issues, we recommend contacting your line manager in the first instance. Alternatively, you can always contact HR in confidence to discuss any issues.

Poor direction

Poor. No development strategy, no investment in talent. Non technical. Project management and KPI focus. Poor ethics regarding team and graduate development.

Pros

Cons

Too long a list

14 December 2020
We’re sorry to hear you didn’t have the best experience with us. The development of our colleagues is a priority for us and part of this involves taking the time to read and digest these reviews. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

If your face fits you can get away with anything

I was press ganged into this organisation then bullied out by a vindictive line manager and his cohorts. This, however was not before I witnessed staff having driven to Nottingham from Birmingham do a few minutes of work then leave presumably to go home early, with the cabal doing likewise.

Pros

Great if your face fits

Cons

You will be mistreated if you do not fit in

15 September 2020
We’re very sorry to hear that you had this experience with us. This is not the kind of work environment we promote at all and we take accusations of bullying very seriously. Thank you for brining it to our attention.If any current employees have experienced similar issues, we recommend contacting your line manager in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact HR in confidence to discuss this.

underpaid and understaffed

Control Room Traffice Officers.... So short staffed that holidays are non existant... Management if ok IF your face fits.. Understaffed by 50 percent..the Shifts are BRUTAL and change so often you just want to sleep..Handover add 45 minutes to each day.. WINDOWS 7

Pros

Parking...

Cons

Hours Pay Conditions Equipment and lack of Holiday

15 September 2020
Sorry to hear that you’re not having a good experience with us. As employers who promote a healthy work/life balance, this is disappointing to hear and not the kind of work environment we support. If you have any immediate concerns with your conditions or management, you can contact HR in confidence to discuss this. We hope this situation improves for you soon.

good

nice place to work good training nice people good location good salary nice office helpful training good progressions flexible working hours good pension

15 September 2020
Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying so many aspects of your work at Highways England.

A high speed road & motorway environment

You need the training & experience to work in a very fast traffic work area the only thing between you & the traffic is cones you need to watch out for each other at all times & be professional in all your work .ps but I loved my job great lads too work with .

15 September 2020
Thank you for your review. Keeping our roads and colleagues safe is absolutely paramount for us. We’re glad you enjoyed your time with Highways England so much.

Government owned organisation

Highways England staff have a wide range of expertise and skills and come from all parts of the community. As a member of Highways England you will be collaborating closely with our partners across the supply chain to help carry out a challenging programme of work

15 September 2020
Thank you for your review. We're glad you're enjoying your time with us.

Planner

Highways England is a good place to work and fun with awesome team qualities in a vibrant office environment. Management are approachable and great to work with. However there is to much red tape in HE, and you only get to keep your job if you know someone who can pull strings otherwise your not so lucky,

15 September 2020
Thank you for your positive review, we’re glad you enjoyed your time with us so much. We aim to provide a fair experience for everyone who works at Highways England, not matter their role or department, so we’re taking comments like yours on board.

Busy working environment

A busy work environment which works 24/7 to serve the people of the country travelling for either business or pleasure on a daily basis. Making sure customers got to the preferred location as safely as possible.

15 September 2020
Keeping our roads and colleagues safe is paramount for us. Thank you for being a part of it and for leaving us a review.

Good

Good environment Good culture Opportunity for multi site working Agile working Good training Excellent office space Work / life balance encouraged Ideal location

15 September 2020
Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your time with us at Highways England.

good people, really poor management

Management blame culture, work place bullies Actual work load is bliss, management are only interested in own progression and not the progression of the staff.

15 September 2020
We’re sorry to hear you’ve had this experience. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We take accusations of bullying very seriously.If any current colleagues have experienced similar issues, we recommend contacting your line manager in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact HR in confidence to discuss this.

You fit or you dont end

I am a truck driver with numerous years experience, their try filled all the gaps in my know age bank, the way I east rested by them was embarrassing and disrespectful. Found they had no respect, them, for people with a social, disability

15 September 2020
We’re sorry to hear you’ve had this experience with us. We value the wellbeing of our people. Looking after their mental health, as much as their physical health, plays a big part in making sure Highways England is a safe and supportive place to work.If any current employees have experienced similar issues, we recommend contacting your line manager in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact HR in confidence to discuss this.

Team Lead

Over stretched, at work 24/7, resistant to change, competitive environment, no agility in problem solving, unchecked spending on projects that have little worth. No clear accountability to deliver solutions.

Pros

nice building

Cons

overloaded with administration

15 September 2020
Sorry to hear that you’re not having a good experience with us. As employers who promote a healthy work/life balance, this is disappointing to hear and not the kind of work environment we support. If any current colleagues have experienced similar issues, we recommend contacting your line manager in the first instance.

Good Environment

Working as Highways England has been interesting the people are welcoming and encouraging. Management are approachable if you need their advice and the work is varied. You are also able to add to you knowledge and experience

15 September 2020
Thank you for your review. We like to encourage a collaborative environment at Highways England, and it’s great to hear that your experience reflects this.

productive

The job can be relaxed and stressful depending on what your dealing with. It a safety critical job and can be dangerous. you have to be prepared to work in live lanes of the motorway and drag cars off to a safe area. if you get it wrong Highways England will not support you. interesting and rewarding job helping and supporting the public.

15 September 2020
Thank you for your review, we’re glad you’re enjoying most aspects of your work. The safety of our colleagues is extremely important to us and we’re dedicated to complying with the highest levels of Health & Safety. If you do not feel properly supported, we recommend contacting your line manager in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact HR in confidence to discuss this.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highways England. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement

Compare Highways England with

• Highways England
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?