Hillarys Blinds

Hillarys Blinds Employee Reviews

Heavy work, good benefits for staff on permanent contract but nothing for temps, disheartening when temp contracts get extended but with no promise of permanent just maybes so no security or benefits
Pros
Decent breaks
Cons
Heavy work
I spent 18 months working as a SP fitter. I took the job between careers while I was worked out what I wanted to do with my life. Its a very low bar to entry meaning anyone of any ability can rock up with their ÂŁ2k and be trained as a specialist fitter. The implications of this is that your working area can have many fitters and the limited jobs are shared amongst you all. The area I covered seemed to have loads of fitters which meant that there were lots of days with no work at all or 1 or 2 jobs a day. This is no where near enough to make a living wage. Especially as you take the cost of running the business, vehicle, fuel, tools etc.You are also very much at the mercy of Hillary's aggressive and many money-off sales. Your commission is based on the sale price and some of the BOGOF offers Hillary's double your work for a given cost/commission. It really is a race to the bottom as H has to compete against its competition.Other fitters in different areas will have financial success stories but you need to know that you never know how saturated your area is with fitters. I enjoyed the work but there just wasn't enough of it available to make a living. I barely covered running costs. This would be a good 2nd income if you do shift work eg fireman but if you want to feed your family then it's a big gamble.
Pros
Easy to start up
Cons
Not enough work
When you start working here they will promise you anything, but sharply take it away.Cell leaders don't lead by example. No progression. Favoritism
Pros
You might get some free fruit on a friday
Cons
Workers get punished, slackers get praised
Whilst the benefits and flexibility is good, the management is poor and the development of even day to day activity. You could have great ideas and look at implementing change but they will not be ready for you. The atmosphere is too relaxed
Pros
free fruit and month awareness for different causes
Cons
lacking structure
Sitting at the same stall all day. It’s not a hard job just very very long hours and customers can be so harsh and judgmental. I personally didn’t have enough hours but I was on a contract that fit at the time.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long Days
Worked as a digital designer in the marketing department for 5 years and had a fantastic experience. I went from being quite a reserved, cautious employee to taking on larger projects and developing personal & technical skills. The design team is fantastic and has consistently pushed to improve over the years. If you're looking to find somewhere to advance your skills in design, development or marketing I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants to take a step forwards in their career.
Pros
Events, Training, Team Work
I started as an apprentice in the IT department in 2016. My job role involved providing IT support to the sales advisor network, while they were selling and fitting out in the field. Initially, I found Hillary's to be a decent place to work, but after I passed my apprenticeship and got taken on full time my opinion began to change. My job role was very repetitive and tedious, and did not feel like a real IT job. The team environment was quite relaxed, and there weren't any negative consequences for having 35 minutes lunch instead of 30, for example. There were a couple of occasions where more senior staff tried to convince me that almost all other workplaces were much more strict, though this has not been my experience. Due to the bespoke nature of all the systems I had to use, none of the skills I acquired while at Hillary's have been transferable to other IT jobs. Also, I spent as much time arguing with the people I was supposed to be supporting as I did fixing there problems. I found this to be very frustrating. Looking back on it now, I believe that the job role I was in would be suitable for a person of average ability who had no interest or desire to progress an IT career, but totally unsuitable for someone with genuine technical ability who wishes to advance and better themselves. I never felt that there was any possibility of progression. I don't have any strong views about the senior management team, but my own line manager was quite good, and I think recognized my frustrations about lack of progression and the tedious nature of my job role. A group - more...
Pros
Everyone I worked with was really nice, Both Line managers I had were good, the hours were reasonable and the work environment was relaxed.
Cons
Boring job role supporting horrible people, lack of progression opportunities, not a real IT job.
I have learned a lot from my current job as I had very little office experience. I am now confident at what I do and although sometimes it is fast paced we are work as a team and get the job done.
Pros
free blind, summer fayre and great christmas parties
Cons
Pay could be better
In this job i go to work and make blinds for 8 hours a have breaks in between but you get told off for talking to people and when you try to help others you get told to get back on your job. the environment is negative its like you are out for yourself and you have to just constantly work work work. management could be looked at as you get away with things if your face fits. there is no enjoyable part of the job you have to work to strict targets and the staff aren't all as they seem with regard to being all nice to your face then your back is turned. what i will say is that if your someone who is looking for a job and full time hours then yeah id suggest you apply. 39 hours a week full time is good, and you get 2 weeks off at Christmas.
Okay job but there’s a lot of problems working with this company. Especially management they treat you like dirt. Unfair pay for the work you do. Should get paid more with the workload you are expected to do. Rarely get bonuses and when you do they tax all of it and it’s terrible compared to other companies who do less work. Break your back for them, work your best and do other people’s work and it’s never good enough. Health and safety hazard I don’t know how they pass the test as dust in the factory is awful and gave me and many others chest problems but was told by management it’s fine and pushed to one side. They are never happy when you hit targets as told it’s a minimum target and you should keep getting more. Treat differently to other staff (special treatment) to certain individuals. If your friends with management or team leaders you can get away with anything. The amount of times your workload is ridiculous and can’t keep up and sweating try to get the job done and you see certain staff get away with everything and talking to management for 30 mins plus and don’t get wrong but as soon as you stop or wait for work they are hounding you saying why have you stopped and on your back when you never do anything wrong. Wouldn’t recommend to work here long term only short term while you want to do a job you actually want. Pretty easy straight forward job learnt all jobs but it’s not worth the stress and depression it brings when hounded by management. Pay is terrible for the work your expected to do. Only good points about working here is hours, 7-4 or 8-5 Monday-Thursday - more...
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Hillarys Blinds?
if you like being belittled by managers then this is the place for you, rubbish wages targets are too high , like a victorian workhouse, the only people who like hillarys are the office staff, they get treated ok unlike shopfloor staff, morale is very low here
I worked for hillarys for 5 years had 5 different area managers 3 different areas Was recently had my employment with hillarys terminated due to a new manager taking a dislike to me Hillary's are the worst company I have worked for
When u been work in retail for some time and u seen it All.. Iam sorry but is not enough space to add here... More coments.... One word apauling company to work....
Would recommend to a friend. managers were very good. Very Helpful. Currently still friends with a few even though I haven't worked there for 4 years. Definitely made some friends for life
There were no space or identification for growth or progress. However, I have learned how to manage customer expectation and how to manage heavy workload so from a business expectation. The business never focused on work efficiency, only adding more processes and procedures ultimately creating more stress, pressure and bigger staff turnover. I however enjoyed working with the team.
I have now been at Hillarys for over four years and as a lot of people say, it's the "big" Nottingham company that nobody knows about. Even though it is one of the bigger companies in the area, what I like the most is the fact that it's very easy to make a difference. There's been a big culture shift since I first started; the company are very open to change and this means that it's really easy to make a difference. Then there are regular pay reviews (once per year), performance reviews (leading to promotion opportunities) and overall a really good culture.
Pros
Annual pay reviews and able to make a difference
Cons
Always lots to do
Don't work here find another place to work its not worth, it you stand all day, you can not talk. While the pay is fairly OK, the only good thing is that you work no weekends
It's hard to earn a good wage unless you are prepared to work unsociable hours. It all depends on the quality of appointment you get. You could have appointment twenty miles apart and with ten /fifteen appointment a day ,there's a lot of driving. With no petrol allowance. The good part is that you work for yourself.
I worked as a packer and the target was twenty eight blinds a minute which was possible as long as the line you were working on kept up to speed. After clocking in the first job was to assemble all parts required to be place inside the blinds and to make sure there was enough for the day then as soon as the line started up producing your target commenced.
Pros
Team meeting every Wednesday.
Cons
Sometimes overtime was compulsary.
Fantastic place to work , friendly staff . Good advancement prospects . Great modern building to work . Good staff facilities. Works council . Good health and safety .
Pros
Service awards . Benefit paid on death in service. Xmas vouchers .
Cons
Nmw
Very approachable and hard working team. Team leader always let us know what we're doing in advance and helped with manual labour work. Clean canteen with good breakfast and lunch option (hot and cold food) which is a good chill out space on break.
  1. Employee reviews