Hillarys Blinds
Happiness score is 38 out of 100

Working at Hillarys Blinds in Nottingham: 23 Reviews

Nottingham23 reviews

It's a fast paced but organised company,,they recognise when your working hard and thank you,if your not doing your job well,they retrain you or give you another job to try, it's a good company to work for

Pros

A contract after few months

Cons

More incentives

Very stressful

Fitters constantly missing fitting appointments and irate customers who have taken their old curtains down and a day off work. Management don't care.

Pros

Free fruit

Cons

angry customers

Insights into Hillarys Blinds

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • General feeling of work happiness

Very stressful, underpaid basic salary with little or no chance of achieving bonus targets. Poor support from senior management

Very target driven, basic salary too low for the amount of responsibility. Quarterly bonuses unachievable, 50% at best. Lack of support/ongoing training. Very time consuming work hours, not covered by salary. Puts a massive strain on your home life. Field operatives (sales or 'design consultants') regularly mis-sale at inflated prices becaus they are commission based, earning 10% of the overall cost of each order. Installers/surveyors also earn 10% but have to correct what has been mis-sold. Customers are therefore not all treated the same as they are charged diffeing amounts depending in skill, ability of sales advisor to extract as much as they can. Very clique work culture.

Pros

Company car, although BIK tax can cost around £200 a month

Cons

Long hours, unsympathetic management, unachievable bonus scheme, regulsr unsociable remote working with little or no support

If your looking to develop, you are in the wrong place

Whilst the benefits and flexibility is good, the management is poor and the development of even day to day activity. You could have great ideas and look at implementing change but they will not be ready for you. The atmosphere is too relaxed

Pros

free fruit and month awareness for different causes

Cons

lacking structure

don't

if you like being belittled by managers then this is the place for you, rubbish wages targets are too high , like a victorian workhouse, the only people who like hillarys are the office staff, they get treated ok unlike shopfloor staff, morale is very low here

No recoment to anyone

When u been work in retail for some time and u seen it All.. Iam sorry but is not enough space to add here... More coments.... One word apauling company to work....

Friendly, regular pay reviews, lots of room for progression

I have now been at Hillarys for over four years and as a lot of people say, it's the "big" Nottingham company that nobody knows about. Even though it is one of the bigger companies in the area, what I like the most is the fact that it's very easy to make a difference. There's been a big culture shift since I first started; the company are very open to change and this means that it's really easy to make a difference. Then there are regular pay reviews (once per year), performance reviews (leading to promotion opportunities) and overall a really good culture.

Pros

Annual pay reviews and able to make a difference

Cons

Always lots to do

Good workforce team

Very approachable and hard working team. Team leader always let us know what we're doing in advance and helped with manual labour work. Clean canteen with good breakfast and lunch option (hot and cold food) which is a good chill out space on break.

Extremelly supportive and good relaxed work enviorment

Hillarys is a wonderful place to work especailly at a young age. I personally found i could relly express myslef and grow up while working in the relaxed enviroment. The people that you work with are one of the best parts of the job and make it enjoyable additoanlly, the management genuinly care for you and want you to develop as both a person and techincally. One of the hardest parts for me personally is that the enviroment is too relaxed, i found it personally difficult to stay concentrated without music. Additioanlly a new addition to the team that I didn't and still dont work well with due to his "up brining" making his dialect somewhat limited. but typucally the people are outstanding. A day at work is very relaxed but with certain times of pressure and managing your work load. If you put work in you get the reward and praise for it. This business is amazing to move aroun ddiffrent roles and love to develop their employees they currently have and make you feel truly valued.

Pros

Relaxed, 50 mins overall break, the people, the management

Cons

sudden heavy pressure, multi tasking constantly

Fast and Productive

It was a nice place to work. No communication or organisation from management but was a straight forward job which required you to use your initiative. I worked many areas of this company (in production) and there are goods and bads in all areas.

Pros

finish work 1pm Fridays

Cons

False hope of advancement

Easy place to work

Hillary’s isn’t a bad company to work for. But it doesn’t offer much variety in terms of a career path, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing depending on how ambitious you are.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Minimum wage, mind numbing work

Productive fun work place

Excellent culture and very family orientated which is lacking in a lot of businesses around Nottingham. You are a name and not a number here,. Past paced environment full of change with plenty of autonomy to be able to strive for advancement.

Pros

People

Fun and educational

this company have done a lot for me, they have catered to my hours being reduced as I am now a mother of 2 and cant handle full time work around 2 kids. the people that work there are great they make you feel welcome, they make you feel known and they make your days go fast. I have really enjoyed working here, it may be different in different departments but I've enjoyed my time here

Pros

people are great and you finish at 1pm on a friday

Not fun at all to be treated as a number

Work as a machine, targets set by the company do not allow you to breathe, minimum wage paid, two breaks only, as a smoker hard to maintain starting at 8am and having first break at 10:30 for and then lunch at 1:30 after 3 hours, only 30 mins, not enough time to eat, relax. Feel sorry for people that worked there for a long time, slavery job, dont believe go and try. Overtime not available until you get signed off, contracts temporary and extended, avoid

Pros

Overtime available however not

Cons

Long hours, min wage, 2 breaks, targets set to work as if your in a gym

Hit and miss

Hillary's is a relatively good place to work. The office is a bit outdated and the systems used are quite slow however the all round role and work environment is friendly.

Fantastic place

Hillarys are a great place to work but I'm currently looking for a more challenging job: Hillarys are very reliable helpful and understand customers needs.

Pros

Very positive place to work

would not recommend it

Very fast, hard environment to work, have not enjoyed it. Don't feel valued or appreciated as an employee. Feel very disappointed with managers and team leaders.

Pros

blind discount

Cons

work enviroment

Good secure workplace

This really is just a general day to day job, Not something I can see myself staying in as there is nowhere to progress. Easy going job, good staff, nice location.

great people to work with/ fun job

a typical day at Hillarys involves being on the phone waiting for a customer to call in with either a query about product knowledge or and issue they have with there purchase and also dealing with finance and placing orders over the phone. also at Hillarys I would arrange for advisor to go to customers house to either quote customer or to fit there order to suit the customer and the advisor.

Pros

local

Cons

not too challenging

Relaxed

Relaxed atmosphere good company pay rates. Not much room for growth or improvement within the company. very challenging but also rewarding.

Pros

relaxed

Cons

lack of progression

very producitve

The emplyees was very good to work with, we would go in each morning sign our health and saftey sheet to say everything was how it should be.Sort our barrels out ready for cutting the fabric to attach to them. It involved some heavy lifting that is why we had to do a manual handling cousre. I got moved around alot which didnt bother me much as i like to be multi-skilled. And i like to be kept busy. I always got my hourly number if not more is why they didnt want me to leave.But was not going to further my career with them. And i love new challenges

Pros

free blinds

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hillarys Blinds. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement