Hiscox

Hiscox Employee Reviews

Nice place to work but very demanding for the pay

Great environment, lots of positive and professional people. I worked in Direct Commercial and the role was very demanding for the level of pay. High pressure to sell hard. I am used to targets and high pressure but the financial rewards didn’t match the demands.

Pros

Free toast and coffee! Great facilities, very professional.

Cons

Poorly paid for a very high pressure role

Fun but challenging at times

Hiscox is a fun but challenging environment to work in. There is a multi tier structure which at times can create confusion as there are multiple IT divisions depending on which business stream you are working under

Not all it’s cracked up to be

All sunshine and rainbows until you get into the actual day job. So many changes within a short time made for a very stressful work life. It was suggested one of the internal it systems where being updated, however just dropped off the face of the earth as was “too expensive”. I got moved to another team manager and asked them for some extra training on something in particular, he booked in the time and as soon as we sat down informed me that he just makes up his training on the spot and we weren’t going to go through my concern...management are a joke and are unbelievably cliquey. Wouldn’t recommend anyone to work here.

Pros

Ok wage

Cons

Cliquey management, very snobbish

Relaxed in a corporate world

I worked in the Finance department whereby the work is time pressured but the colleagues around were a collaborative encouraging group. I’ve worked in corporate financial institutions and never found such a nice team of people from Board level down.

Pros

In house healthy cafe, nice offices

Cons

Pay not quite as competitive as other companies

An OK company

Nothing particularly special to say about this place that would single it out from all the others. There are a lot of people who have been there a very long time, and whilst they are all nice people working there, the company is in need of transformation.

Pros

Location/ City of London

Cons

There are probably better places to work; stressful, not much job satisfaction.

Good company to work for

Low salary and little room for progression through hard work. But good benefits throughout the year. The office is beautiful and you do get looked after.

Pros

Amazing culture with friendly people

Cons

Hard work doesn’t always pay off

Not for me

My team were amazing. However the firm as a whole is too rigid. They have old values and I feel some of the management don’t have time for people “ below them” yet lots of time for others on their level / above

Good work/life balance

Great team, good work/life balance, respected company. Salary and benefits on the low end of the spectrum, from what I could gather. Share scheme available.

Very good place to work

Hiscox is an amazing company which treats its employees fantastically. The benefits are very good and keep the staff going. The culture is brilliant and everyone lives the values.

Who you know not what you know.

Through - out my time at Hiscox I was given good training including a multitude of information about the products however, when moving onto the floor this was incorrect due to staff doing their own thing. Job progression was based on who you knew rather than job performance. The only good thing about this job was my line manager, who was positive, encouraging and overall fantastic.

Great place to work, amazing culture. Helpful and friendly people who are willing to support you at all times.

I enjoyed working and learning at Hiscox. The management were approachable and were willing to give you an opportunity to grow and learn . There was a lot of trust and a great culture. No blame culture , everyone was very respectful . Although fast paced and the teams were under pressure with deadlines the mood was still relaxed and people were patient as they had trust in their colleagues. A great place to work and an amazing set of people with high standards.

Hiscox was an excellent place to work once accepted.

Once through the tough interviews you were accepted and encouraged to do your best for both yourself and the company. If as with myself you could not excel, due to illness, they tried to help with private health care and reluctantly let me go when it was obvious it would take a lot of time before I recovered. They look after their employees even when on contract and I would recommend anyone to join them.

Great Company

Great company, offers great opportunities to everyone that works there and is willing to put in the effort. The culture is something I’ve never experienced elsewhere - everyone really wants to help the company succeed and help each other. Communication is really good throughout the whole company, everyone feels listened to and valued. Free coffees (from nice machines!) teas, juices, toast and jams, biscuits and regular other bits are a lovely bonus. Annual bonuses can be very good. I left due to a single poor manager that wasn’t at all suited to the role and caused lots of problems. From what I understand, she’s no longer in the position so i guess they sorted it.

Collaborative and supportive

Very supportive Project Sponsor. Open to consider new ideas and explore different approaches which could contribute to enhance the current processes and improve the service provided to their customers

Just another call centre.

This is a job for young people who have no experience of a professional working environment. Fundamentally a call centre with the same high turnover of staff. Systems do not work but you are told to trust it. Training is not good and you learn on the job - not great for customers who are paying for a 5* service. There are better jobs out there.

Fun and productive workplace

Make friends for life, good work and life balance. Pay is better than most insurance/offices. Management are very fair. Chance of progression. Free food and drinks on a morning. Great staff nights out!

Pros

Free drinks and breakfast

Cons

Temp contracts have to re apply to stay on

Stay well clear

I wouldn’t recommend this company at all its stuck in the 70s not very diverse or multi cultural and most of the senior management seem to operate through the old boys network. Stay well clear if you are looking to advance in marketing or financial services.

High school clique mentality

The team I worked for was very hostile and did not want to hear about their mistakes and failings, which was difficult as it was my job to find the mistakes that were made in the credit controlling process. There was an inner circle of pretty unpleasant people and you were either in or out, no middle ground. I have seen two people be bullied away in the time that I was there, and found it very stressful to try and deal with the people who had treated others so badly. Perhaps other teams are nicer, but the one I worked for was awful.

Pros

Free fruit and cereal, and the good colleagues.

Cons

Company culture

Productive and enjoyable workplace

Typical day included administration duties and computer tasks using Microsoft Excel. Communication between team members was key to the success of the workplace.

Positive and Strong

See other Kinetic review. This was a different client, working with the same team. Kinetic worked very well with the client team to establish a centre of excellence

Pros

HIghly inclusive environment

Busy place to work

Enjoyed working with my team Ability to advance if you wanted it. Some of the Managers were OK but others did not know what the teams they supported really did.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hiscox. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement
  • Hiscox
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?