Historic Environment Scotland

Historic Environment Scotland Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom12 reviews

Good place to meet like minded people, both staff and visitors interested in history, environment, politics, the arts.

Good place to meet people (Staff and visitors) interested in history, politics, the environment, the arts. great locations and monuments. Some sites are becoming more eco nature friendly with wildflower meadows and other habitats.

Pros

nice locations - staff and visitors are interested in history, architecture, environment, politics. Some good eco projects

Cons

Some sites experience bullying, intimidation and mismanagement from senior Staff.

Easy job with many benefits

Great job, good wage and benefits would highly recommend. Good wages and benefits including feee entry to all HES sites plus 20% discount at HES shops

Pros

Free entry to HES, 20% discount in shop

Insights into Historic Environment Scotland

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment

Great job, but frustrating

It is difficult to progress from Band A (lowest level), and the interviews are 'who can tick the box best on the day' affairs. Management is very opaque and old fashioned. But day to day being a steward is fun and rewarding, if a bit repetitive.

Culture of Bullies

Poor HR department that refuses to deal with narsistic bullies. With little or no regard for peoples work life balance. Most things are dealt with by managers, whom mostly have caused the issue. HR tend to shy away and claim its nothing to do with them, thus perpetuating the issue. North District Manager is a real bully boy, beware.

Pros

Lovely sites & staff that work therein.Ok pay.

Cons

Full of Narcissistic Bullies, Poor HR, long hours.

Everyone is very helpful and will push you to improve and grow. Training available and management is usually fantastic. I would highly recommend applying to those who love a good mix of history and industry leading standards.

Productive and Fun Workplace

Spent two years there. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful. The work was never overly stressful while still being a challenge at times and there was always something to do.

wonderful proprerties: often poor management

CSPS pension , t&Cs compensate for the low salary. currently undergoing changes for the better with residual shoddy management , organisational chaos at times and bullying in places. HR will not address this but protect higher management . hopefully better times ahead.

Interesting and stimulating

I worked as a Roving Steward, covering days off at 13 sites, so the first year was stimulating and varied. The second was less so, as I spent almost all my time at four sites, but that's the luck of the draw.

Poor management

Top heavy organisation with management sneering down at the people who actually do the work. There are company perks available but you're unlikely to benefit if you're in a minion position. Cliques and bullying are rife but not dealt with and the perpetrators progress while good employees leave. I agree with a previous reviewer who described it as us and them.

Pros

Colleagues

Was good to start with

Was good to start with but over time you realise that most of the managers who have been there for a while are a bit stuck up and don't want to deal with the minions as they are not on the same pay band. It's like us and them. It felt like there was lots of wraparound support for managers but not so much for staff. I wouldn't treat a sloth like that never mind a human

Pros

Good holidays and pension

Cons

Looked down upon

Not a good experience

Although the work was very interesting what spoilt it was the unhelpful and unfriendly attitude of some staff who had been there for upwards of 10 years and felt they owned the place. Although I think it is generally a good place to work I did not find it so in my office with 1980's style management and an uncomfortable atmosphere.

Pros

Flexitime - if you can get it.

Cons

Difficult to park, antiquated management styles and lack of staff engagement.

Great workplace

Fantastic company to work for. Great people and work culture with a real drive to succeed. Work tailored to suit individuals skillsets and much care taken to ensure welfare of each colleague.

Pros

Flexible working, strong salaries

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Historic Environment Scotland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement