HM Land Registry

HM Land Registry: 44 Employee Reviews

United Kingdom44 reviews

A good option

A good civil service department. Full range of opportunities for job roles. Had changed considerably over the years. Many have been there for decades.

Brilliant place to have a career

I love working for land registry. My team are fantastic and I feel like the management really want to make it a great place to work. The work is interesting and rewarding and I can see myself working here for the rest of my working life

Pros

Teamwork

Cons

Can be competitive

Insights into HM Land Registry

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Sense of belonging

Great people

Department was good until management changed and focus was numbers driven rather than quality.The people are great to work with and very supportive. The company is currently embracing hybrid working

The Land registry is a very enjoyable place to work with many benefits. The work is interesting and can be challenging as well. The benefits including flexi time and home working are a massive bonus. However the options for promotion don’t come around too often and the salary is now falling below inflation

Pros

Flexi Home working

Cons

Pay Progression

Great place for work life balance

If you are not particularly interested in promotion opportunities and want a decently paid job that you can fit around your other commitments this is the place to be! The flexi is insanely good.It is definitely a heirarchal working structure and you are made to fear talking to people above you in the structure. It's quite old fashioned in that and you are supposed to know your place and suggestions or ideas from lower bands are dismissed in my area of the organisation.

Pros

Flexi, paid at top of civil service bands, great holiday from the beginning (28.5 days + bank holidays etc. Goes up with service.

Cons

Management. Structure.

Overall a good place to work; a very low stress environment. Civil service pension scheme is good and a big benefit to working here. However, the salary was poor and there was a lack of opportunities for progression.

Civil Service benefits

A unique, complicared role where the basic training takes 14 weeks.Organisation facing a demographic cliff as went many years without recruiting and now the majority of staff are coming up to retirement.

Pros

Excellent pension. Flexi time. 28 days annual leave (plus Bank Holidays)

Cons

Poor salary for what you do especially compared with private sector.

Great work colleagues and staff.

Great friends, very good training, promotion opportunities and great working hours. Work load became an issue but got resolved after good communication with team leaders.

Pros

Flexitime

Cons

Work load was quite high.

Fun, collaborative workplace and no stress

I've learned a lot within the workplace, primarily administrative duties, tasks, how to delegate tasks, leadership and teamwork, but more importantly communication and service. Although i wasn't able to fully show my potential due to limitations (lack of promotion or development), it is a great place to work and management are ok. The hardest part of the job is keeping up to date with policy changes and withstanding the fact that you may be stuck where you are, doing the same thing, for years due to lack of development opportunities and hard interviews. The easiest and most enjoyable part if having FLEXI and the work itself.

Pros

Flexi, leave and good practices

Cons

lack of development

Terrible place to work

Only work here if you're a corporate yes person. A lot of bullying goes on in plain site. Managers don't like having to manage staff with disabilities and are often quite bigoted. The ones who get promoted are the ones who go to the pub with managers every Friday. Others get no look in with this. Older male managers promote younger female staff beyond their capabilities over experienced staff and buy them gifts like bottles of prosecco. The same older men who drool over the young women make disparaging comments about LGBT members of staff whilst pretending they champion diversity, aided and abetted by very senior Civil Servants. An example of this being called a "diva" when challenging homophobic language which compounds the homophobia. If you speak out you're threatened and told that you'll never work within public services again as they will blacklist you. Having worked in modern Civil Service departments I can honestly say, thankfully, Land Registry was the exception and other departments are far more modern with much more diversity in management and robust procedures to give staff the ability to challenge behaviour. Do not challenge behaviour here as it could lead to the demise of your career.

Pros

Lovely staff at operational level

Cons

Bullying, intimidation, high levels of sick leave for stress

Good team working environment

The most enjoyable part of the job are the people that work there, under pressure due to the nature of work and how much there is, always something to do. Varied role.

Pros

No core hours.

Cons

Can be stressful

HM Land Registry

Great place to work. A lot of benefits, including flexible working and Civil Serivce Pension. Slow-paced most times unless you are in the higher roles of management. Lovely friendly staff - easy to get help when needed.

shared culture of public service and professionalism

good public service ideal with professional emphasis, where ideas and proposals are widely shared. Autonomy in workload with respect for diversity of approach

Pros

time to discuss issues properly with colleagues

Cons

long unpaid hours

Fabulous place to work

I loved my job here and worked as a Registration Officer for 20 years. Was heartbroken when I was made redundant. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. I always thought that I would be working there until I retired.

I enjoyed my time here. There is a culture of learning. Everyone wanted to help eachother and nothing was too much hassle for anyone. There are also a lot of very talented people on site, which I benefited from.

Pros

Relaxed, friendly atmosphere to work in with great learning opportunities.

Cons

Some people are reluctant to change, but they are in the minority.

Work with a great team

Overall positive, decent career prospects, work is repetitive but simple in lower grades, flexi time so good work life balance, would recommend for life balance.

Stay away

Awful management, bullying occurs from line managers and nothing is done about it. Cliques are very much a thing here leaving some people to become very isolated.

Slow paced and almost boring place to work

The benefits and expectations of you in this job are great, however it is monotonous work that is mind-numbingly boring, the culture is great and they offer a fantastic work/personal life balance but for my I like to be busy and that just isn't the case in this job

Not good

Avoid, poor management, lack of direction and development. Culture of bullying and harrassment and driving individuals to go off sick and leave. Poor HR

boring but exciting

not much variety in work but the office is supportive and the people are friendly, flexi time is great. great if you're looking for stability rather than excitement

Supportive and relaxed environment

Land Registration is not the most interesting place to work, however it is secure, flexi time is great and everyone is very supportive of you and your endeavers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HM Land Registry. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement