HM Passport Office

HM Passport Office Employee Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom20 reviews

Workspace where you can be yourself and feel safe

It’s a really friendly environment where work colleagues can be themselves. Worst bit is civil service pay means they don’t get to choose what to pay but are governed by the treasury on that. Still it’s not bad compared to a lot of places.

Pros

Flexi Hours

Old fashioned work culture

Target driven and bullyish behaviour from management. Training very inconsistent, what you may be taught by someone will be wrong in someone else's opinion. No common sense applied and very much a tick box operation. Managers clueless, favouritism shown, if your face fits you will get on. The job is processing passport applications, a lot of discrepancies in the system, Training needs to improve as all passport offices around the country are different. Not a pleasant environment to work in at all. There are better civil service opportunities out there, just not the Passport Office.

Insights into HM Passport Office

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Support from manager
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energising work tasks

Good place to workInteresting jobNice staff

Good place to workInteresting jobNice staffShifts flight quickly.There are lots of courses which you can do in your working hours. Management mostly supportive.

Pros

As above

Cons

No cons

Bullying management culture

I worked here for almost a year in a part time (evening) role. Ok let's start with the interview: This was an on site interview and was structured around the examples you gave on your application, team working, working to pace etc. An explanation of the situation, task you performed, why you did it and reflection as to how it went is all that's required here. Just remember your examples and be prepared to explain what happened in a logical sequence. And the job.... The role is basically one of processing passport applications. Sounds easy, right? Wrong. There is an absolute ton of law to know regarding who is entitled to a passport and under what circumstances. There are three or four quite complicated pieces of law going back nearly 100 years that you have to be familiar with. If this is your main job, then it's manageable. If you work part time and/or work at another job during the day, the sheer amount of information they expect you to absorb during a handful of training sessions is staggering. Also, I meant what I said about sweatshop conditions. Once you're trained you'll be given a box full of applications to process. This will involve checking whether the person is entitled to a passport by virtue of birth or some other means....if it's a child you'll also need to check who has parental responsibility.....if it's a new application you'll have to check birth/adoption certificates, make inquiries regarding the countersignatory, if the person lives in one of around 50 specific post code areas (or high risk areas) you'll also have to perform even more checks.....add -

Pros

None that spring to mind

Cons

Antiquated IT systems, bullying management, inept management, boring and repetitive work

Hard work but satisfying

Treated well by management. Day to day I opened applications and carried out the initial check of the passport application. Later on I progessed to work with more in depth queries.

Professional busy workspace with many segments in flight at all times

Good mix of perms and contract staff. Many teams from different providers all trying their best to gel and work on complex projects. A positive department to work in.

job

no challenge, fast-paced - ok as just a job and all the necessary facilities were there. The building is fairly new. I don't think I learned anything and the job was not hard at all.

A great place to work

a really nice place to work, nice people, great environment. Pay isn’t great but that’s the agency not the Passport office. All climate controlled so neither too hot ir too cold

Pros

location, training, good team members

Cons

agency, rolling contracts

Pleasant and focussed

As usual the Civil Service lags behind in terms of process and practise. However, there's a very friendly culture. Focussed on getting the job done, but at the same time, relaxed. The work is fairly routine, and repetitive, but not stressful and the great sense of camaraderie amongst co-workers makes this a lovely place to work.

Pros

Good leave entitlement

Cons

Outdated processes

Good Team

This role was only temporary, but I found the staff treated everyone the same no matter what their employment status. They offered support with future jobs.

Pros

good support

Cons

fixed term contracts

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at HM Passport Office?

Micromanaged

Micromanagement by senior officers does not encourage a happy working environment. Some managers bark out orders.....no please, thank you or even a smile. Competitive culture between day and evening shift leads to ill feelings between colleagues.

Good working environment

I felt really productive and focused when I was working in HM Passport Office. Everyone was really focused on working and it had a very relaxed atmosphere

Pros

Great location (city centre)

Cons

N/a

Interesting, intensive and rewarding

While I didn't work for HMPO directly I got to see exactly what entails when people apply for their passports. However, due to the nature of the business I cannot go into express details. It was a fast pace job that was personally rewarding. The work load was heavy and there was no difference from a day to day basis. It was highly repetitive but that suited my nature and I enjoyed every moment of it.

Pros

Close to my home and decent pay

Cons

Temporary and ended suddenly.

Challenging environment with good team workers

challenging environment constantly reviewing new IT projects which could improve set criteria for Home Office improvements.Assisting with setting up approved programs/projects, planning, allocating resources, tracking progress, using reporting tools to ensure all concerned were kept up to date, all within budget and in time.

Pros

Joib satisfaction

Cons

long hours at times

Excellent

The job was everything it's advised to be with a friendly team and great team leaders who help drive a happy and productive team.

Pros

Overtime, friendly team and great manager.

Cons

Temp

Chaotic when busy

The job could be challenging, especially during a busy period. The training was not always sufficient and a large part of thinking on your feet was required. The hours could be long and tedious. People were friendly.

Pros

Nice work environment

Cons

Long, and can be tedious

Professionally operated goverment agency

I was employed by an agency and found this to be a relaxed and pleasant environment to work in with helpful and friendly work co-workers. The job roles where clearly explained but were very routine. I opened and processed mail and regularly checked remittances to ensure that the remittance was valid.

Pros

Working with goverment procedures

Cons

Intensive hand/finger work

chalenging

I enjoy my job as its challenging and motivating, I have a great team of management and staff. The job provides over all satisfaction.

Pros

non working days

Cons

working weekends

Productive but hectic workplace

A typical day at work starts around 7:30am getting everything ready for when the customers arrive to apply for their passport applications. I learned that it can get hectic in the morning, particularly in the summertime where you can get between 1000-1200 applications day in day out. On the flipside, I managed to gain good working relationships with the examiners as well as my co-workers. I also got the chance to learn different techniques, such as ordering stationery from third-party suppliers, which I found most enjoyable as it gave me the chance to be my own boss. The management were very supportive towards me as they have examined how well I have done there and have looked at ways they can develop me further via one-to-one meetings.

Pros

3 breaks per day & days off in the week

Cons

Detailed, process rich, security tight

A good place to work. Learnt earned value and more detailed planning and strategy skills

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HM Passport Office. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement