HM Revenue & Customs

HM Revenue & Customs Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,135 reviews

Found 1,135 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,215 reviews

Advancement is possible

A range of interesting careers are possible at Officer grade and above if you are willing to put the work in to attain the requisite qualifications and pass the various in house training schemes.

Pros

Career structure, unionised.

Cons

Salaries have not remotely matched inflation for many, many years.

An Employer who cares little for their staff.

Very pressurised call based environment. HMRC likes to say the right things, but in reality they listen very little to their staff, put them under constant pressure to perform & usually offer a stick, rather than a carrot incentive. They lack any understanding of how to retain skilled workers & prefer a continuous stream of new recruits to fill vacated roles. The environment itself could be fantastic place to work, were it not for the management infrastructure currently in control of HMRC. The calibre & empathy of the top management there is of such a low standard it is no surprise to me HMRC delivers such a poor standard of quality. In the six years I've worked for them the decline I have seen is clear. I, along with many of my colleagues are actively looking to leave. I would not recommend working for this company with its current hierarchy. They are abysmal.

Changeable

You may be taken on for taxes for example but be transferred to say child benefit. You will be expected to work one late night a week and occasionally a weekend

I love working at HMRC

I love the people I get to work with and the type of work I get to do as well is engaging and exciting. Employer is fair and responsible, a job for life

Not everybody's cup of tea.

If you have any kind of mental health related problems, this place will only make them worse and even when you explain, they gaslight you till its your fault and no one takes you seriously anyway! I left for my own mental sanity before I ended up in a hospital. They care more about Stats and KPI than the actual wellbeing of staff. On paper they will say all the right things but in reality, they do nothing to help. Most management are in cliques and therfore certain people may get all the help but if your not in their clique, your on your own. For the pressure your put under and the abuse you have to take daily (only to me told you need to get a thick skin when you tell someone you've had a distressing call), they don't pay you enough or care about you enough!

Find something else

A very poor employer. There are many over-promoted managers pay lip service to doing the right thing but there is no focus or direction in the organisation. Senior managers are focussed on short-term schemes that make them look good, rather than doing the job (collecting tax). The best way to get on is learn the buzz-words and apply liberally, regardless of meaning and context.

29 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience working here at HMRC. We wish you all the best for the next step in your career.

Stressful and undervalued

HMRC was not a good workplace environment. There is a toxic WOKE culture and the promotion selection process is a joke. The management are poor and self-serving. The pay is appalling and you never get to the top of your pay grade scale. There is a very hierarchical structure that mirrors all the iniquities and inequities of the British class system.

Pros

Flexi-time

Cons

Low pay, poor promotion possibilities

29 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We are continuously trying to improve the way we do things at HMRC, so your feedback is helpful. We wish you all the best for the next step in your career.

Fun workplace

Build great relationships/friendships, good training for the position, good salary. HMRC management assist and encourage personnel to be their best and offer great incentives, very caring and compassionate

Poor working Environment

Not the best of jobs; poor management, average salary, no scope for moving up the ladder & constantly micromanaged. Only positive is opportunity to work from home twice a week. Has affected my mental health working there.

Pros

Hybrid Working

Cons

Poor Management, Average Salary, Lack of communication from management, too much expectations.

29 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience working here at HMRC. We’re sorry to hear that you had a negative experience in regard to your management chain. We strive for a highly effective management team through targeted training and development initiatives. Please could you get in touch with recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk so we can review this further.

Flexible Employer

Flexibility is a pro, but work is boring. You get to repeat same things, procedures again and again whole day to different customers. Queries are repetitive.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Repetitive queries

29 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We’re pleased that you are enjoying your time at HMRC overall, but we recognise that you have found the workload to be repetitive at times. We aim to provide an environment where employees develop a variety of skills and work on exciting projects. We’re sorry if we let you down in this area.

Well managed.

Fast paced and well managed place to work. Plenty of support given and room to improve/advance.

29 April 2022

Great place to have worked

Supportive Team , job progression available.Organisational culture very proactive .I had enjoyable experience. Great Team spirit I also felt very valued and had the necessary line management support.The training and induction was very insightful and progressive

Pros

Team Spirit

Very productive and fun

Working for HMRC it has been a pleasure as it has gain me more knowledge and I learnt a lot of things I haven’t known before it made me feel more intelligent and also I would recommend this job to anybody that is interested in customer service

Pros

Free access to medical

Cons

Adaptable hours

29 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We’re pleased to hear that you have enjoyed working at HMRC.

Secure but undervalued

Not bad for job security but they are not very good at identifying hard and committed workers.... kpi's are everything to the cost of quality in my opinion.

Cons

No scheduled breaks only unpaid 30 min lunch

29 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate all feedback that we receive. Whilst we’re pleased you found some positives from your time at HMRC, we are concerned that you have also had some negative experiences. We’re constantly trying to improve ourselves as an employer, so if you have any suggestions please contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk.

Terrible

Terrible work place do not recommend managers are bullies stop your pay and do not take anything into consideration Make you feel very vulnerable and like a child even if you explain everything to them

29 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We are continuously trying to improve the way we do things at HMRC, so your feedback is helpful. We’re sorry to hear that you had a negative experience in regard to your management chain. We strive for a highly effective management team through targeted training and development initiatives. Please could you get in touch with recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk so we can review this further.

Challenging to start with but fun once you get your feet

I started working with Hmrc in july 2021. As you might be aware taxes is not an easy subject to learn but once you learn it you will love your job. Best management support at every step of my progression.

29 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. It’s great to hear that you’re happy at HMRC. We’re pleased that you’ve had such a positive experience.

Flexible and good people

Everyone is lovely, flexi time makes the work life balance good. Management and good too and look after you. Training could be improved, too much pointless sessions and not enough on the job you will be doing or the systems you will use. Also have to complete an apprenticeship to prove are doing the job. This is pointless and could be scrapped.

Pros

Flexi time, good management, kind people

Cons

Training could be better, feel thrown in at the deep end

5 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. It’s great to hear that your time at HMRC has been positive on the whole, however we note that there were things you think we can improve on. If you would like to discuss your experience with us, please contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk.

Bullying and gradist environment

Once this was a decent place to work. However, over the years it became less about staff welfare and job satisfaction and more about bringing in money.Management is bullying and leans heavily into favouritism. If your face fits you're OK, if not, you'll sit at the level you came in at for the duration of your tune.

5 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback, we’re sorry to hear that things could have been better for you here at HMRC. If you would like to discuss your experience with us, please contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk and we can investigate further.

Memorable and rewarding work life

There is room to develop in the service, hard work is rewarded; my roles were quite varied and i learned a lot on the job - the VAT training is second to none, the training as an assurance officer covers various areas of business; doing the job involved a lot of communal interaction, visiting and inspecting different businesses, liaisons with the local authorities, the police, home office, trading standards and other government agencies, report writing, accounts inspection and analysis, debt collection and enforcement

5 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed working at HMRC. We wish you the best for the future.

Poor Employer

I was really disappointed with my experience during the six months I worked for HMRC remotely. Awful structura organisation. Poor communication between management so we often we're given the wrong information regarding work. The training was confused and often not in relation to the work we we're told to do. When we asked for help it was ignored and we were told to 'do the best we could'. We were then often penalised for mistakes made that could have been easily avoided had we been trained correctly.

5 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback, we’re sorry to hear that things could have been better for you here at HMRC. We aim to provide a working environment where employees can learn and develop new skills and showcase their abilities. We’re sorry that you found this not to be the case.

Good flexibility

Fkexibility for working parents. Inclusive, helpful and not overly demanding.It would be better if they allowed working parents to work from home more instead of insisting certain hours in office when productivity isnt in question.

5 April 2022

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HM Revenue & Customs. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement