HM Revenue & Customs

HM Revenue & Customs Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,205 reviews

Found 1,205 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,286 reviews
flexicentreflexitimetaxquerycolleaguewhilstcivil

Great place for a career start

HMRC is a great place to begin a career. If you have a good manager, you will get supported and if you find yourself with a bad manager, you will be frustrated. I have a great Manager who supports me every time and encourages me for career development.Salaries on the average for the work we do. This needs to be increased considering the high cost of living

Pros

Flexible time, hybrid working, inclusive

24 January 2023
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. It’s great to hear that you’re happy at HMRC. We’re pleased that you’ve had such a positive experience.

Run as fast as you can away from HMRC

This is by far the most toxic place to work. Management is a joke and the stress they put on you is completely wrong. BT&C is the most toxic area. alot of my co workers were driven to self harm , depression or had miscarriages because of the stresses of being mistreated by band Os or managers. The hardest part is when you do report problems it is more than likely you will be the one given the boot not the people responsible for the mistreatment. So to all the people thinking of applying just don't. JUST RUN

Pros

Were none

Cons

People, toxic place

30 January 2023
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We deeply regret that you have had some negative experiences here at HMRC. We aim to train and support our managers so that they can lead our staff fairly and effectively. If you would like to discuss your experience with us, please contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk so we can find out more.

Insights into HM Revenue & Customs

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

As far as jobs go its ok

The training was completely disorganized and sometimes it feels like the management is disorganized. However, the job itself is ok, not too much pressure and decent wages and pension.

24 January 2023
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We’re pleased to hear that some of your experience at HMRC has been positive, however we recognise that it wasn’t perfect and that you’ve identified areas where you’ve felt let down. . If you would like to discuss your experience with us, please contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk so we can find out more.

Tax credit hmrc

Overall a great place to work, mangers like to minute watch but not too much of a problem. Most are friendly and really nice with holidays and sick days. Training was good but could of done with more in depth knowledge in certain areas. They don't offer wfh it's hybrid or office only. Enjoyed my time here. I was hired through Brook street.

Pros

Mon yo fri

Cons

Not wfh once in a permanent contract

16 January 2023

Enjoyed working here, good pay and good working patterns apart from Sunday working as it is a bit out of the way to get to. A good team in the office.

Pros

Good team to work with, nice offices

Cons

Location a bit out of the way

16 January 2023
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed working at HMRC. We wish you the best for the future.

Excellent organisation to be a part of

I loved my time with HMRC. I learnt invaluable tax knowledge and transferable skills I will use for life. The management is very friendly and helpful. All colleagues on my team were fantastic.

Pros

Hybrid working

11 January 2023
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We’re really pleased to hear that you had a good time working here at HMRC. We wish you the best for the future.

Calls

Lots of calls to take. Many inbound calls and talking. Not a lot of admin work and many systems to go through and multitasking. Management is alright.

11 January 2023
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience working here at HMRC. We’re pleased that you enjoyed your time at HMRC overall, but we recognise that you found the workload to be repetitive. We aim to provide an environment where employees develop a variety of skills and work on stimulating projects. We’re sorry if we let you down in this area.

Harder than it sounds!

Worked at the Cardiff office for 5 months and it was honestly so hard! Targets are beyond a joke after just 6 weeks of training! Just over a week on phones with a buddy before you are thrown in the deep end! If you don’t meet their stupid call handling stats by the end of your probation you fail, simple as that! Requested post work as phones is hard but was refused this, I ended up leaving this employment as the pressure was just too much and my team leader wasn’t willing to help me

Pros

Working from home 2 days a week

Cons

Long hours, unattainable targets, not enough training

4 January 2023
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We’re sorry to hear that things could have been better for you here at HMRC. If you would like to discuss your experience with us, please contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk so we can find out more. We wish you the best for the future.

Avoid at all costs

Just above minimum wage doing a high pressured job. Team leaders who don't know their job, everything is monitored. There is nothing good about this place.

29 December 2022
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience working here at HMRC. We’re sorry to hear that things could be better for you here at HMRC. If you would like to discuss your experience with us, please contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk so we can find out more.

Productive abd fun

Overall a very good experience. However training was sloppy and you need to show the willingness to learn for yourself working from home so save mkndh on travelling

Pros

Flexi leave, Wfh

Cons

Training

14 December 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. It’s great to hear that your time at HMRC has been positive on the whole, however we note that there are things you think we can improve on. We’re constantly trying to improve ourselves as an employer, so if you have any suggestions, please contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk.

Customer advisor on the phones 24/7

Based in the customer call centre in Portsmouth- overworked, high turn over off staff, low morale and if your face fits so no more !! The recruitment process was just dreadful and doing 3 minute videos to answer questions !! It was a very stressful role and management only care about stats/targets/kpi - do not work here go somewhere else !! So pleased I left it was the best decision ever- all the calls are all about tax refunds and every call they say it’s my money!! I pay too much tax !! Lots of abuse and a very toxic environment- managers don’t care and they talk but don’t support you- go somewhere else I beg you because you will regret it here - the worst job that I’ve ever had- HR are useless and all they do is send surveys every 5 minutes

Pros

Car park

Cons

All a con

Unorganised / inept systems

Contact centre environment although Mixture of phone webchat and processing work. Systems crash daily. Little help from management. Hybrid working 3 days in office. Have to work several Saturdays and lates til 8. Very stressful environment. Encouraged to agree with customer complaints about the poor systems in place.

14 December 2022
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate all feedback that we receive. Whilst we’re pleased you have found some positives from your time at HMRC, we are concerned that you have also had some negative experiences. If you would like to discuss your experience with us, please contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk so we can find out more.

Supportive management most of the time.

Job was ok flexi time was good as able to make time and have more time off. People were friendly on the whole. Some of the benefits made up slightly for the very poor pay.

30 November 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We’re pleased to hear that some of your experience at HMRC was positive, however we recognise that it wasn’t perfect and that you’ve identified areas where you’ve felt let down. If you would like to discuss your experience with us, please contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk so we can find out more.

Working

Rubbish place to work. We are told we are tax professionals but my daughter who is a cleaner is paid more than me. Every second is monitored leave is not guaranteed. You work overtime without being paid overtime rate..no tea breaks allowed and toilet breaks monitored. Another public holiday has been removed on top of 2 last year. People are leaving in droves, and when you start training is negligible. You are not appreciated and not allowed to do your job properly they are only interested in stats and the software does not work properly.

Pros

Flexi

Cons

Bad conditions

24 November 2022

It's ok

It's ok you learn a lot however management is not that good. If you are on call centre, you are monitored for every seconds of your working day. Stessful on the phone & the training is not good.

21 November 2022
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate all feedback that we receive. We’re pleased to hear that some of your experience at HMRC was positive, however we recognise that it wasn’t perfect and that you’ve identified areas where you’ve felt let down. If you would like to discuss your experience with us, please contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk so we can find out more. we wish you the best for the future.

Relaxed working environment but lack of training

Interesting work, especially roles in compliance or fraud. Flexi time in the public sector really helps improve work life balance. However, I feel let down because of the lack of training. Despite my best efforts, it sometimes feels like you’re fighting a losing battle as it’s impossible to do a good job without the right tools/knowledge. Staff mainly undertake e-learning these days which is not sufficient - especially when compared to the qualifications that an accountant will undertake! Some managers will micro manage your tasks (depending on the department you are in.) There needs to be greater investment in staff training which will improve the experience greatly. Bring back more exams and classroom training! No more e-learning please!

Friendly people, good training. Work all set out for you so you know what to expect everyday. Can be repetitive.

I worked for HMRC for 38 yrs then retired

I would do anything to go back to my job part time I miss it so much . I was a complaints manager great place to work. Good for career options. Caring employer. Work as a team good values and respectful to all employees.

Pros

Working in Leeds travelling

Cons

Flexibility good job I just loved

21 November 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. It’s great to hear that you had such a good experience working here at HMRC. We wish you the best for the future.

Progression not great

Progression only for those that fit. Old staff were sidelined in a reshuffle so they could hire new staff on the cheap. After so many years it was disgusting.

21 November 2022

Exciting place with lots of potential for growth

I loved working at HM revenue and customs it was a very good easy job, with training offered and lots of different jobs to prosper further not having to wear uniform was the best part you could start and finish anytime you wanted. You don’t need no experience to work in HMRC because they give you training

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Too far

21 November 2022
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate all feedback that we receive. We’re really pleased to hear that you had such a good time working here at HMRC. We wish you the very best for the future.

Expected more from civil service got Opressive battery chicken call centre.

Had high hopes of good job. But civil service no longer a good job. Had to follow a set computer program. Way too many customers and not enough staff to answer calls. Oppressive managment always on your back. Excessive micro management. No job security. Late anti social hours. My normal work days were fri sat sun mon all lates. The calls were never ending and very tough. Of the dozen taken on the majority were gone within a year and of the 3 or 4 that still had a job the reason for selection was unacceptable. A long way from what they say about equal oppotunity. I was very glad to leave. It was an ordeal and I would not recommend civil service tax credits to anyone.

Pros

Pay was ok.

Cons

Ugly management.

9 November 2022

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HM Revenue & Customs. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement