HM Revenue & Customs

HM Revenue & Customs Employee Reviews

Found 1,065 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,125 reviews

I enjoyed the work, but with all the impending changes regarding locations and staff numbers reductions, i took early retirement.

I had been in the one job since leaving school till i turned 60 and had seen the streamlining and changes within the Department first hand over the years. Due to "modernisation", which included relocation and centralisation of offices, i, like many others in the same age group, elected to take early retirement. I still miss many of the people i worked with.

Pros

Enjoyable and knowing that i was providing a necessary service

Cons

The modernisation meant that staffing levels were drastically cut

6 October 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate all feedback that we receive. We wish you all the best for the future.

Great colleagues, Flexible working & Good Work-life balance

Very friendly colleagues, always someone willing and able to help you with anything. The flexible working recently introduced helps work-life balance with a combination of office work and working from home. Lots of benefits available to assist a work life balance but sometimes not aware of what is actually available until you search, and then you'll find there are quite a lot. New offices are modern, but only downfall for some like me is that they are now located in City Centres so no parking and public transport (which not very reliable) only way to get there. However, the city centre locations may actually benefit some, but but others.

Pros

Flexible working. Benefits. People

Cons

City Centre Location

Good Emoloyer

HMRC is a great place to work. Good salary, Pension and job security. Good prospects for promotion once you are in the job too. Staff training is also good.

Pros

Job security

29 September 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. It’s great to hear that you’ve had such a good experience working here at HMRC. We wish you all the best for the next step in your career.

Bunch of crooks

Loved staff . Management was terrible. Never appreciated my work.Manager never understood what we did and was always asking us to show him. Then always say we're behind in our work. That's cause we always had to help him

29 September 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We aim to train and support our managers so that they can lead our staff fairly and effectively. I’m sorry to hear that you felt one of our managers didn’t meet these standards. Please could you contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk so that we can look into this further.

Not thrown in at deep end!!

Training given for all tasks, starting with easiest tasks first and adding difficulty and responsibilities at a pace suited to your abilities and performance so far. The more “can-do” attitude you show and have the faster you can progress.

Pros

Pension, job security, not making rules up as they go - established processes and protocols

Cons

Not the most forward-thinking industry with software, remote/flexible work/life balance not in-line with private sector.

29 September 2021
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience working here at HMRC. We’re pleased to hear that some of your experience at HMRC has been positive, however we recognise that it wasn’t perfect and that you’ve identified things that could have been better. We wish you the best for the future.

Horrible, overworked, underpaid, poor management and mental health support.

Felt like a joke working here, typical office environment with toxic underlying nature, they will pretend to care and want you to advance while also putting more work on you and indirectly making you feel inadequate when not meeting their perfect expectations.Never ever again, most people I know who work here have to, for the simple fact of living paycheck to paycheck, not fun at all, you spend most of your energy carrying yourself along and keeping up the facade that the jobs enjoyable in any stretch.This job in particular was so poor on myself that it entailed years of stress and now advanced mental health issues, worst decision I ever made was making my issues aware to my management.Just save yourself, whatever pay they’re offering you it’s not worth it, I assure you.

Hard work with luck of enough air

The work place is not bad, the front desk and security guard are very good helpful and friendly. The job it is not bad but it there are too heavy fills to take down to enter the data with one electric socket in 15 meter room to charge two persons laptops, we requested an extension not reply’s from the management. Not enough air with the heat and going up and down in the ladder we requested fun no response and the worst part is in rain and bad cold weather we have to be out the building because we have temporary badges. The most enjoyable thing made friends from front desk, security, people I meet in reception area daily and my specially my colleague we work for four month together.

Cons

Terrible place to work. Awful company,

They lie and stab you in the back. They are utterly worthless as a company. Do not work for these chancers. They have nothing but contempt for their workers.

Pros

Ha

Cons

Too much to list.

Avoid at all costs

Couldn't organise a party in a brewery. Most of the staff are excellent but most decisions are made by stat crunchers with no sense of what the job is actually like. Just pay lip service to staff needs and welfare.

Pros

Cons

Constant pointless changes

17 September 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We strive to create a positive working culture where everyone can develop and flourish in a stimulating and safe environment. We value all the feedback we receive and we would be grateful if you would contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk to tell us how we can do better.

Interesting at first

Working for HMRC was pretty good at first, but in later years it became much less enjoyable. This was due to many local offices closing, and at the end I was happy to leave.

Pros

Flexi time

Cons

Stressful

Jobs at HM Revenue & Customs

See more jobs

good steatdy job they kept you up to date

The reason I left was they moved the office to area that I could not commute to The new commute would have been over 2 hours each way which I was not prepared to do and the company would not let me do

Pros

good benefits, great team atmosphere

Cons

The work could change very quickly

Avoid like the clap

What to say about HMRC? To say to the job advert proudly proclaimed that one of the duties of a HMRC officer is to defend the public purse, they sure don’t mind wasting tax payer cash. The management and organisational structure at my site is horrendous with a clear friction between management and front line staff. The number is staff on long term stress related leave is quite frankly embarrassing and is indicative of the toxic culture that plagues this organisation.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Poor management, poor wage progression, limited progression and uncomfortable office culture

10 August 2021
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience working here at HMRC. We are concerned about the situation you described in your review, so can you please contact recruitmentmarketingattraction@hmrc.gov.uk and we can investigate the issues further.

Pants

Don’t touch this place with a barge pole; especially if you want a call centre job where you don’t have to be constantly criticised by callers and management on a HOURLY basis.

Pros

8pm finish

Cons

Tethered to a desk

Not what i expected

Not enough training on the back room office work, to much time elapsed between training and actually had to do it, basically it's a call centre job, kept changing systems which didn't work well, no real support with the IT side of things just told to contact IT department unless your very god with computers it's hard work and takes time out your own day to keep up with things.Managers are ok but seem under alot of pressure and stressed so sometimes cant find time to help you, but they do try when they can.i was basically on the phone all day telling customers that their refunds weren't ready due to lack of higher grade staff to process them, not what I expected at all.

Pros

No weekends and flexi time, a good team atmosphere from team members

Cons

Stuck on the phine most of the day, new systems dont work well, lack of support on computer problems, felt under preasure most days

A technical consultant for Customs Declarations Service

TSS are a good solid company, who over a short period of time have improved systems and guidance tremendously. TSS look to build careers in understanding goods movements, and Customer Procedures.

Pros

Learning, Good Management

Cons

Hours are a little antisocial, but overall good, over the cycle.

Stressful at times

Debt Management can be stressful job, dealing with public who have failed to pay tax due. Can at times become hard to handle with arguments during calls possible.

Pros

Varied shift patterns

Ever changing work practices

Great place to work overall. Management generally supportive but their knowledge variable, some managers are clueless others great - its just the luck of the draw. Senior management constantly changing the goalposts, and excessive use of the "flannel". I worked on the phones and after over 4 years left as fed up with constantly making excuses for delays in processing claims that would be pushed out 1 month to 3 months and sometimes longer. Most staff are great, its almost like a second family.

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

Management cannot seem to make up their minds

10 August 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, as we appreciate all feedback that we receive. It’s great to hear that you had such a positive experience working here at HMRC. We see that you feel that the management could have been better. We’re sorry to hear this and will feed back the business area.

Difficult place to work

The only positive thing is the pay. Micro management and bullying, very poorly run.So much unnecessary unkindness and very little support from senior management. The job itself is very easy but sadly dull.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Micro management

It is a family friendly work Department

Good place to work because it is family friendly and flexible working time is allowed provided you cover your hours. Reorganisation can be stressful to the workers because most times, management has its own agenda which is to put the department on a sound financial footing. Sometimes it is done at the detriment of the workers whose positions tend to be at risk of being scrapped.

Pros

Occasional free vouchers

Cons

Management can be somehow unpredictable.

Very good people

Great people very polite a pleasure to work for . Highly recommend. Very good work environment met good people was free to just get on with work .as long as your job was done you were never bothered at all .

Pros

No pressure

Cons

N/a

Fast results driven

Good place to work at if young as you can work your way up the ladder re promotion and get a good pension for retirement. Good bunch of people working together helping each other also.

Pros

On site facilities

Cons

Working Saturdays

10 August 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, it’s good to hear that you enjoyed working here at HMRC.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HM Revenue & Customs. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement

Compare HM Revenue & Customs with

• HM Revenue & Customs
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?