HM Treasury

HM Treasury Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews

Amazing place to work

I really enjoyed working for HMT, it’s such an advanced workplace and would recommend to friends and family in a similar background as mine. 10/10 would highly recommend.

Demanding but genuinely intriguing work

Working on many different workstreams across multiple policy areas is normal in HMT. People are often overworked and there is an expectation to always take on more.A lot of the projects are fascinating and no two days are the same. Learn how to deal with the hierarchy and HM Treasury can be a great place to work.

Insights into HM Treasury

What people like
  • Energising work tasks
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Support from manager

Gradiose but very welcoming

The treasury building is a wonderful place to work, a rich history pitted against a highly efficient and dedicated team of young professionals who are dedicated to public service.

Nice place to work

Nice place to work. Fast paced and every day different challenge. Many benefits included. Large team and lots of oppurtunities to upscale service provided to client. Very high security procedures.

Productive and nice colleagues

There was no typical workday at the Treasury given the nature of my assignment there. The project progressed through the different stages of a typical short training project.

good creer move

very enjoyable place to work great hours great benefits good over time paid for senior staff as well as junior good staff moral good team spirit lots of support back and front of house

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

nada

Productive and fun place

Typical work day at work very busy where I have learned the dynamic of help desk operators. My managment team is very relaible and supportive. No hardest side for this job but very enjoyable because all the collegaues are support me.

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

Productive and great place to work

Productive and great place to work.with lots of potential to grow as a person and learning opportunities. great location and great work culture. Great management who will direct you in the right way and always willing to help.

Pros

Grat place to learn your craft

Cons

Travel can be tricky with the unerground

Challenging, interesting and always engaging

Never a dull moment at the Treasury and working with exceptionally smart colleagues. Organisation is very flat so there is a high level of accountability from the outset.

Pros

Interesting work

Cons

Reactive so hours aren't static, poor pay

Interesting and Challenging

HM Treasury is a hardworking institution at the heart of UK Government policy making. As the Economics and FInance Ministry, it is responsible for economic growth and ensuring that the government lives within its fiscal targets.

Pros

Dynamic, flexible, interesting

Cons

Sometimes long hours

Its a good place to work

Its a good place to work,good opportunities for young people. The negative is that it can be stressful at times and the workload can on-going and at times be a lot. But it is interesting place to work

Pros

good place to work

Cons

workload for some employees

great work place

great people to work with. employer helps to develop the employees. great place for team working. understanding to contractor. focused on the organization as well as the employees.

productive and fun working environment

A typical working environment where you are able to complete your set tasks to your own comfort having no pressure above it.

Pros

busy environment

Cons

Very busy but very rewarding

Having worked here since November 1999, after a 5 year stint in the Public Sector, the workload has increased consistently. I am the Office Ambassador and the first port of call for his office. I deal with an extremely hectic diary and quite a few international travel arrangements. I book all travel and deal with all the expenses in a timely manner. I liaise quite regularly with the Chancellor's Office and with all grades through to the Senior Level on a regular basis. Management here is extremely good and all adhere to the work/life balance, but everyone works extremely hard as we have had to break down our staff tally. The hardest part of my job is actually finding rooms for meetings as we do not have very many. The most enjoyable part of my job is talking and helping others find their feet when they join.

Very Good functional place to work maintain intergrity

A pleasant place to work ensuring Government Policies are maintained to a very high standard

International Exposure on Legislative Powers

Launched by the Prime Minister in June 2007, to bring into line different spending controls and reporting frameworks - To provide a financial framework including comparative analysis across the following countries: Sweden, Australia, the Netherlands and the United States of America, with the United Kingdom. - Focusing on Legislative powers over the Parliament, Standing Expenditures, and Spending of net allowable income across Departments and International Reporting Standards and Practices.

Originally fun - then privatised

Before the computer centre was privatised, we knew our duties, career progression etc. When we were trasferred to the private sector, we found that we had to work 12 hour shifts, pay and conditions were undermined and staff morale collapsed. Then the computer centre was demolished and our jobs moved to Staines. I left and moved to Suffolk where I worked in the NHS until I decided to go to university.

Pros

Cons

long hours. Bad shifts. eg Mon/tue 0700-1900, wed/thu 1900-0700. Exhausting.

Great environment to learn

It gives all employees the opportunity to see the back office processes of government policies prior to the engagement with outside businesses and the economy.

Pros

Great work life balance, looks brilliant on your CV

Cons

Low wage, no performance based benefits are easily accessible.

Educational,productive and enjoyable.

Everyone supports eachother and are always willing to help one another. It is a very enjoyable and rewarding place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HM Treasury. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement