HMSHost

HMSHost Employee Reviews

Found 30 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,298 reviews

Amazing customers

This was some of the most enjoyable jobs I have had being able to get on with customers and staff, however come the summer the managers were awful to work with and blamed it on everyone but then selves creating hard working circumstances. But still an amazing work place

Very busy

If you take pride in what you do, then this job is not for you. Management have a select group of people who are lazy, the rest have to work their butt off to cover them. It's a joke.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, no social life. Work every weekend, unless you're one of the lazy one's.

HMSHost Inverness is a great place to work

The Team at Inverness Airport are lovely to work with. Although the job is hard work and can be very busy at times, there is always someone willing to help you. The Team are friendly and there is usually a fun atmosphere. The managers always try to be as flexible as possible with working hours within reason and were always supportive while I worked with them.

Pros

Busy and fun atmosphere

Cons

You have to be willing to work hard and like being busy!

Fantastic company to work for friendly atmosphere management approachable and will listen with any problems u have even personal and good insensitive schemes

Pros

Nice friendly company to work for

Cons

No over time pay

Management are very good and very helpful in being flexible with shifts. Good place to work, everyone is friendly and you fit in quickly. There are good benefits to the job also.

a complete lie and shambles

if you are reading this be warned! I currently still work for this company and I'm doing all I can too get out, iv been made promises and they were not fulfilled, I was threatened with investigation because I'm having to look for another job as the full time contacts are 16 hrs so your hours get cut to the very minimum when they are not that busy but will schedule you for over 50+ hours when it suits them and expect you to be fine when other are still on a comfortable 30-35hr week. they do not care about the amount of money you need to earn to pay rent and care for your family or care about your financial needs as long as they are saving money. some managers are brilliant at their jobs but that's obsolete when the GM is only looking after those who will suck up. trying to contact anyone in HR or payroll is impossible. all in all I would beg people to stay away, if you work for this company you put your family/yourself at risk either financial or mentally. id rather shovel feces with my bare hands than ever return to this company

Just don't do it

I was working for this company for nearly 1 /2 years, they make promises they don't keep, the management make rules for some and not for others, people are allowed to do whatever they want eg sit on there phones during work hours, only 30 minute break when doing a 10+ hour shift, you have to pay for car parking which is also a 10 minute shuttle bus ride, no free staffmeals.Save you're mental health and go else where.

Pros

Some of the people

Cons

Everything else

Do not work here

I worked here for well over a year and at first the company is great. Then once your settles you see the problems start to appear. Managers have no respect for staff. Head chef in trattiano Milano is lazy and spends more time smoking than in the kitchen. Junior sous chef In the lion and antelope is belligerent and rude. He has no respect for the staff. Head chef in the lion and antelope dosent care about any sort of personal issues. Never eat food from there because the amount of cross contamination is horrendous. The 'fish fryer' was used to cook pork sausages when we have a lot of Muslim customers. The floor staff are lazy and the till staff make so many mistakes that it drained you being there.

Avoid

Avoid this company at all costs, the management is non existant, long hours, if you did the early shifts, there’s barley any time to yourself afterwards, your days off are usually spent trying to catch up on sleep or being called back into work. The people you work with are amazing but the managements shocking

easy going workplace

a very laid back company with the best interest of their employees and always willing to lend a helping hand to ensure and employees and guest are well loved after

Pros

discount of lunch

Cons

not enough managers

Jobs at HMSHost

See more jobs

AVOID at all costs

Managers are up their own and contradict themselves on a daily basis. They leave the workers to suffer whilst they pop off for a cigarette every 15/20 minutes, sit in the office or stand on their phones, even though as a worker you will get disciplinary action for being seen on your phone. They also seem to walk into a shift whenever they feel like it, not on time, maybe an hour or two late with no disciplinary action taken, yet workers will get threatened with disciplinary action for being 10/15 minutes late. Managers also shout when you dispose of spoilt stock and tell you to 'just relabel it'. Professional. Managers abuse their powers and show a high lack of respect for their workers. If you have any issues outside of work or if anything is bothering you, do not tell or confide in management as the whole of the restaurant will know by the end of the day. :) There is no way of 'moving up' in the company as, instead of allowing current staff to be trained on new sections, they would rather wait to hire someone to specifically work on that section, causing more stress to the current members of staff. Free staff meals were taken away and hourly pay was meant to be going up. The free staff meals were taken away but the hourly pay never went up. Staff walk out and leave as a result of stress. Management do not seem to care unless it involves someone in management. They also do not rehire staff to replace the ones who leave, so now they are struggling to make up for the high number of staff who have left. The 'casual' racist comments are also disgusting, whether -

Bad Managers

This used to be a grate place to work, but it is now really bad. All benefits have been taken away without any pay increase. The managers are never around at the busy times, and when they do come to work, they stay in the office, not on the unit Hours are very long a lots of people off sick all the time, but nothing is done about this. There is no training so no real chance of getting a better job with the company Most aof the team are good fun to work with, but lots leave and always new staff with no training

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Very bad management - long hours - early start

ok

ok to work for not a career you dont get the help you ask for as a team member. the hours are 3 in the morning ealely and the lates start at 9 pm or some units the bar and pork and pickle stay open till last flight even if a delay.

Don’t do it, pay is good.... Management are not

Management style is very aggressive, rude and bullying in nature. Would not recommend working here, especially to any young people, it would put them off catering for life. Food is great, team work really hard, long hours starting early and finished late. Pay is good and airport is a vibrant place to work.

Pros

Food is great

Cons

Management behaviour

Job not secure

When training you are told to ask questions but when I was reviewed I was told I asked too many questions. That's the main reason they let me go. I also had a panic attack on the first day in the Airport and then went back and worked 2 weeks there but yet they don't think I'll be able to manage when they send me away again.

Pros

meet a variety of people

Cons

job not secure

Avoid working at Comptoir Cheshire oaks

No real leader, General Manager and assistant manager walked out just after opening. Staff not being paid right, staff paying to much tax because there new starter forms wasn’t sent off to hmrc even though they were filled in early November. Everyone does things differently, even managers and the comptoir training team all contradicts themselves. One says it’s like this the other says it’s like that, Stress is a huge thing amongst some staff members. More needs to be done to take care of the welfare of the staff they have before they loose all of them. The pay is poor for what effort is required.

Pros

The food is really good, the front of house and kitchen staff are really nice people

Cons

Everything other than the food.

Great team work good bunch of people

Current employee started working at Leon Stansted in April and I am still very much enjoying, since I been here I have had lots of support from management team as well as colleagues,we are all more like a family . I have seen many staff members come and go Airport is not for everyone it is busy and stressful at times but if you have a good team and you are a natural people's person and you are willing to go that extra mile then you can do anything . It is a fun place to work half hour unpaid break but you get a gorgeous meal for free and you also get to work with different nationalities we are a good bunch. For me the best place I have worked .

Pros

Free food good people

Good luck

Start work at 3am not a problem the problem was when you arrived early you had to wait before you could sign in to work even though they expected you 15 minutes before the shift started, the general manger clueless, no support from managing team. All I can say is good luck if you where thinking about trying to work here

Pros

Team, salary

Cons

Managers, no benefits

Not job description

I applied for the job it was advertised as a barista, but when I got there I was told for the first 60 days all I would be doing is changing bins sweeping floors and hosting at the front of the restaurant; meaning standing still for eight hours. There were 30 minutes break every eight hours but we were allowed free food from the menu. The manager didn't manage she was ready there, The supervisor sat in the office and told all of the team members to do her jobs. She would see you doing something productive that needed doing such as clearing tables of mess and rubbish and make you go and stand at the front of the restaurant to "host". Aka stand still and smile occasionally. The training was two hours and you got paid for it and all of the other team members were lovely. Overall it is a nice place to work if you have been there long enough so you can work on tills or cook and if they got rid of the useless and rude supervisor. The company as a whole is fantastic it's a shame the Stanstead branch lets them down.

Pros

Free lunch, Good pay for young people

Cons

non paid breaks, no advancement

Bad management with bad attitude

Had this misfortune of working for this company for a short time. Minimum wage with promises of pay rises that never came, threats to lose your job on a daily basis. To many chiefs and not enough Indians. Worst company I have ever worked for

Pros

Workforce where good people in fainess

Cons

To many managers stealing a living doing little work

Amazing company committed to its people

HMSHost has fantastic career opportunities to suit all flexibilities. The personal development opportunities the company provides from team level through to senior management is one of the best I’ve ever known or been lucky to have been a part of. There’s lots of recognition, communication channels and the company is growing in strength year on year in all avenues. I throughly enjoy being part of this business and I can say with pride that this IS an ‘employer of choice’’. There are so many different brands, different service styles and a vast array of positions to suit all. The company has been committed to supporting diversity throughout the company and I’m proud to be a part of such a large organisation.

Pros

Employee Recognition, Good PERKS from internally and externally through 3rd parties, an ‘open and honest’ culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HMSHost. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement
  • HMSHost
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?