HMV

HMV Employee Reviews

My store (Leeds) honestly might've been an outlier. We were consistently one of the best stores in the country. I used to think that meant we were really good, after helping relocate a neighbouring store I started to wonder if the average was just low. Honestly, it'll all depend on the team around you. If nothing else you'll likely share an interest in film, music, tech, etc that you can find common ground with. You don't have to like great swathes of what they sell, or be an expert, or afficianado. I don't particularly like music but I made it on the Visual and Tech sections for years. It certainly helps if you have some interest in some of the stuff you're selling (and merchandising, and remerchandising, and pricing, and repricing, and repricing, and repricing).Honestly, my main word of caution would be that the company (above store level) tends to go off on tangents without informing stores until you get an update that some major change is going to occur very soon. That and they greatly over-estimate how much you can get done on a Sunday afternoon (spread it thorough the week for god's sake!), oh and they routinely give you a group code with a couple hundred product lines to reprice, only to realise a few days later that they messed up some of the prices and expect you to do the whole thing again.But yeah, the people I worked with were sound and the discount was good
Pros
Employee discount, potential mutual interests, you can wear jeans & trainers and have indigo hair & tats if you like
Cons
Last minute price changes, excessive promotional repricing
Lack of job security, been with hmv two years and it's been taken over due to administration, new Management wants to cut working hours in order to increase profit while throwing triple the workload on top of understaffed stores. Lack of communication from management regarding anything, can be a very clique place to work at times. Great staff don't get acknowledged enough. 30% staff discount is an okayish offer.
Pros
Get to choose own music to listen too
Cons
Lack of job security, no overtime, no room for advancement
I worked in many hmvs. In both management and customer service capacities and I was luckily enough to meet some of the best people I've ever met in some of my roles. Unfortunately there's a flip side and, well, if you happen to end up with a manager who is a psychopathic sociopath then I fear for you. But hopefully you don't! hmv is peppered with wonderful people, exciting product and was always an ambitious company, looking to expand and optimise. Although my experience is from the pre-administration and subsequent takeover period so I'm not sure how the land lies now...
Pros
Staff discount. Early obsolescent mark-down access. Exciting events. Passionate people.
Cons
First-in-last-out management culture. The expectation that you will do unpaid overtime.
A typical day at HMV starts with an update on the individuals, store and company performance, then it's onto your tasks, could be on the tills or putting stock out. Management was hit and miss but you get that in any role but for all their faults they taught me some valuable lessons for roles like this. Workplace culture doesn't get much better than this, I've never worked in a job where I got on with everyone I worked with over the years, it's refreshing to be surrounded by people who love the same things that you do and I'll always be grateful for that, at HMV I can honestly say I've made some friends for life. The hardest part would be the customers, whilst most were lovely there were always some who it felt like it was their job to make you miserable or take out their frustrations on you. Most enjoyable part was the people I worked with. Overall whilst the tasks were repetitive, it was the people around me that kept me there so long.
Pros
Staff, discount, atmosphere
Cons
No room for progression, boring at times
I worked as a Christmas Temp for the last few years and honestly loved every second. From the minute I walked through the doors, I felt welcomed and like I’d joined a family. Every person there is passionate about what they do and it shows. It can get hectic during the busy Christmas period but there is such camaraderie and dedication from the team, that it doesn’t matter as everyone pulls together. There are targets, mini incentives sometimes and regular team meetings and fun quizzes to keep everyone informed and motivated. You get fabulous discount on the products and work in a place filled with music, fun and passion. I enjoyed going to work every day and although you do work hard, it’s very rewarding and a lot of fun. Highly recommend.
Pros
Good staff discount, passionate, friendly team, long breaks, fun, creative place to be, team meetings, competitions.
Cons
Not permanent as temp position, not always enough hours
Super supportive staff. Great environment. A pleasure to work there!
Management are clueless and a lot of "picking favourites" goes on. Maybe one member of staff out of the whole team was welcoming to a new staff member. Lots of gossip and schoolyard behaviour. Any complaints or concerns volunteered will only alienate you further. Absolutely do not recommend, very disappointing to see a company I've always been loyal to run this way.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Terrible Management, Childish Behaviour, Toxic Environment, Bullying
Had a great time working there. They are super flexible with shift patterns, the stores range from super busy and hectic to near empty and you get plenty of time to breathe and keep up with general tasks (Tidying the workspace, keeping up stock levels, etc.)
To work somewhere that you can be yourself, surround yourself in the things you love is the best and to make life long friends Along the way just adds to the fantastic time I’ve had here
Pros
Music, friends, love
Cons
Basic minimum wage
Many of the people I worked with at HMV were lovely people to talk to and extremely helpful in helping you learn the ropes. If you like film/music this is a great place for you, as you're encouraged to talk to the customers about what they're buying and this would often lead to really interesting conversations. Aside from serving, many of the duties at HMV were pretty easy which fits in with the relaxed work setting. The downside to working there was that I ended up spending loads on records! If you are an impulse buyer I'm not sure if this is the best place to work because I ended up buying a lot of stuff I didn't need. The other downside is that I was required to give a 4 weeks notice having not even worked 6 months at the job, which was frustrating as for me the job was interfering with my A Levels and I wanted to leave as soon as possible to focus on them.
The people who work there are the most welcoming people i’ve ever met, everyone is funny, kind and unique in their own way. The work it’s self is laid back and rather enjoyable. I got to work doing what i love, talking about music and films and listening to music that i loves too. 10/10 experience, would love to go back
Cons
Egotistical racist morons, hateful bullying culture. Not interested in staff moral what so ever. The sooner this company goes into administration the better
Cons
My day consisted of starting at 6-7am and finishing at 17.30 due to excessive workload vs staff headcount. The communication from senior management was poor to non existent and was delivered in a very arrogant way.
If your into music games dvd and tech a great place to work great team bonding and always fast paced look after there staff and there wellbeing would recommend if your in retail to try out working in a shop
Standard retail work, co workers were great. Management we’re pretty terrible. They have a good discount scheme. I’d recommend this job to students but definitely not for anyone looking for full-time.
HMV staff are very friendly and help you succeed to the best of your ability and mentor you until you're ready to work alone. Never a dull moment and easy work.
You'll enjoy it. Great people in general. Relaxed dress code obviously. Pay as per retail in general. Flexible working & remote access when working offsite.
Stuff, cleaning, did delivery's, was a super fun, nice people, great environment, nice team, had plenty of work to do and kept me busy, overall great place to be
A fun and lively place to work but no job security. It's a shame because it was once a thriving company but online music sales etc are the future sadly.
It was a good place to work, but unfortunately loads of people don't do their jobs properly and others have to do it for them. Other people will keep on telling you how to do the same job all over again because they only see you in that department, even to you're the one correcting it and reporting it to the managers. Some of the staff would be not that 100% customer orientated, do a fast job yet no one is seeing them. There are some reasons why only british people work in here, unfortunately even with loads of customer service/retail experience you won't stay long with them unless you know how to be friends with the managers, or how to get promotions. Generally speaking really nice people, but managers would act like some kids, swearing at staff, poking them etc. Going over the board with jokes and hence even the staff would be rude with each other "as a joke" not very professional. Payment it's bad, you're only getting the minimum income so even you work 40 h you'll barely get 1100 £
The most fun I ever had working as a temp.Great staff. Fun Atmos. Lots of customers. The christmas season whizzed past for me. Would return in a heatbeat.
  1. Employee reviews