HMV
Happiness score is 73 out of 100

HMV Employee Reviews

United Kingdom619 reviews

Amazing, fun workplace

I absolutely loved this job. The team I worked on was amazing and supportive, and we always worked together to get the job done, despite often a heavy workload. The only reason I left was that I wanted to progress in my career, and during that time there was no opportunity to do so.

Pros

Staff discount, relaxed uniform and dress code, working with people who shared my passion for music.

Cons

Long hours, no opportunity to progress

Great

Excellent place to work, completed my business management course there working in the stock room as well as on the shop floor. Met a mixture of personalities and love my time there.

Wonderful people to work with. Upper management hard to deal with.

I worked at hmv for 7 years. In that time I progressed but every year it got worse and worse with the constant pressure to do more and more work for the same money. I ended up leaving after essentially doing the jobs of three people and all concerns given to head office were never taken seriously.

Enjoyable job but dying industry

Good friendly environment, fast paced at peak times but dead at others, as such job security is shaky. Managment was friendly and supportive, as were colleagues.

Pros

Good friendly colleagues and managment

Cons

Lack of job security and steady hours

One of the best jobs I’ve ever had!

I really enjoyed working for HMV over the Christmas period! It was very busy but enjoyable and management were brilliant! Extremely helpful and friendly, never too busy to talk to you. Feedback and praise whilst working and colleagues were great too! I thoroughly enjoyed every part of the job from till work, to sorting through stock and helping customers. I was bitterly disappointed when the branch was one of the shops that closed

Pros

Great staff, relaxed atmosphere, lots of variety

Cons

Sometimes late finishes

Not an understanding place to work

I was asked to do tasks that I was not the most suited for such as heavy lifting when there were several employees more capable of these tasks and they weren't in my job description. I didn't end up signing a contract the entire time I was employed as management kept procrastinating the task. A member of the management tried to imply that I shouldn't be using my earned holiday days and blamed me for taking a sick day under the false pretense of it being friendly advice.

Pros

30% discount in all stores

Cons

Guilt tripping from management

Awful

Terrible, kept me out of work until past the cut off date for pay even though they said specifically they would pay me before christmas as this was a christmas job and they did not. Havent stepped foot in the building since. Screw that place.

Pros

Not working there is a pro.

Cons

Theyre awful.

Best job I’ve ever had

The environment was great to work in, the staff are friendly and welcoming. You are fully supported and looked after, if you’re sick you are treated with respect and care. Just like any retail job it had good and bad days but this was bearable with the staff being so supportive and friendly.

Pros

Great staff, perfect management, good hours, kept busy

Cons

That I couldn’t stay longer

Decent staff but the manager was terrible

I really enjoyed my time working at HMV. As someone who knows a lot about music and film, I was able to help customers find what they were looking for and even get on easily with the other staff members. The exception to this was the manager. He showed 0 care about the products being sold in the store and only instead about pleasing upper management and how many loyalty cards were being sold. I was hired for a seasonal position and from my hard work, was reccomended for being kept on by other staff members. This was ignored by the manager who instead hired a know it all, cocky people pleaser who had sold more loyalty cards than me.

Pros

Nice atmosphere when it's not busy or the manager wasn't around

Productive and inclusive.

Enjoyed it profusely, strong sense of team effort. Benefits and salary were exemplary, staff are given a store discount. Timetable was flexible and fluid.

Pros

Store discount

Cons

Working over holidays

Disappointing

Too relaxed management let people get way with anything and are not appreciate of staff members that go above and below the standards set by the company. Very poor skill at developing members of staff and sticking to a plan that will see them improve and move up the chain of management

Pros

Decent discount on products

Cons

No plan to improve or develop staff

Potentially good: Highly dependent on your in-store team

My store (Leeds) honestly might've been an outlier. We were consistently one of the best stores in the country. I used to think that meant we were really good, after helping relocate a neighbouring store I started to wonder if the average was just low. Honestly, it'll all depend on the team around you. If nothing else you'll likely share an interest in film, music, tech, etc that you can find common ground with. You don't have to like great swathes of what they sell, or be an expert, or afficianado. I don't particularly like music but I made it on the Visual and Tech sections for years. It certainly helps if you have some interest in some of the stuff you're selling (and merchandising, and remerchandising, and pricing, and repricing, and repricing, and repricing).Honestly, my main word of caution would be that the company (above store level) tends to go off on tangents without informing stores until you get an update that some major change is going to occur very soon. That and they greatly over-estimate how much you can get done on a Sunday afternoon (spread it thorough the week for god's sake!), oh and they routinely give you a group code with a couple hundred product lines to reprice, only to realise a few days later that they messed up some of the prices and expect you to do the whole thing again.But yeah, the people I worked with were sound and the discount was good

Pros

Employee discount, potential mutual interests, you can wear jeans & trainers and have indigo hair & tats if you like

Cons

Last minute price changes, excessive promotional repricing

Fun workplace at times

Lack of job security, been with hmv two years and it's been taken over due to administration, new Management wants to cut working hours in order to increase profit while throwing triple the workload on top of understaffed stores. Lack of communication from management regarding anything, can be a very clique place to work at times. Great staff don't get acknowledged enough. 30% staff discount is an okayish offer.

Pros

Get to choose own music to listen too

Cons

Lack of job security, no overtime, no room for advancement

It all depends on who, what and where...

I worked in many hmvs. In both management and customer service capacities and I was luckily enough to meet some of the best people I've ever met in some of my roles. Unfortunately there's a flip side and, well, if you happen to end up with a manager who is a psychopathic sociopath then I fear for you. But hopefully you don't! hmv is peppered with wonderful people, exciting product and was always an ambitious company, looking to expand and optimise. Although my experience is from the pre-administration and subsequent takeover period so I'm not sure how the land lies now...

Pros

Staff discount. Early obsolescent mark-down access. Exciting events. Passionate people.

Cons

First-in-last-out management culture. The expectation that you will do unpaid overtime.

Repetitive but fun

A typical day at HMV starts with an update on the individuals, store and company performance, then it's onto your tasks, could be on the tills or putting stock out. Management was hit and miss but you get that in any role but for all their faults they taught me some valuable lessons for roles like this. Workplace culture doesn't get much better than this, I've never worked in a job where I got on with everyone I worked with over the years, it's refreshing to be surrounded by people who love the same things that you do and I'll always be grateful for that, at HMV I can honestly say I've made some friends for life. The hardest part would be the customers, whilst most were lovely there were always some who it felt like it was their job to make you miserable or take out their frustrations on you. Most enjoyable part was the people I worked with. Overall whilst the tasks were repetitive, it was the people around me that kept me there so long.

Pros

Staff, discount, atmosphere

Cons

No room for progression, boring at times

Extremely fun workplace.

I worked as a Christmas Temp for the last few years and honestly loved every second. From the minute I walked through the doors, I felt welcomed and like I’d joined a family. Every person there is passionate about what they do and it shows. It can get hectic during the busy Christmas period but there is such camaraderie and dedication from the team, that it doesn’t matter as everyone pulls together. There are targets, mini incentives sometimes and regular team meetings and fun quizzes to keep everyone informed and motivated. You get fabulous discount on the products and work in a place filled with music, fun and passion. I enjoyed going to work every day and although you do work hard, it’s very rewarding and a lot of fun. Highly recommend.

Pros

Good staff discount, passionate, friendly team, long breaks, fun, creative place to be, team meetings, competitions.

Cons

Not permanent as temp position, not always enough hours

Great company

Super supportive staff. Great environment. A pleasure to work there!

AWFUL Place of Work

Management are clueless and a lot of "picking favourites" goes on. Maybe one member of staff out of the whole team was welcoming to a new staff member. Lots of gossip and schoolyard behaviour. Any complaints or concerns volunteered will only alienate you further. Absolutely do not recommend, very disappointing to see a company I've always been loyal to run this way.

Pros

Staff Discount

Cons

Terrible Management, Childish Behaviour, Toxic Environment, Bullying

Rad people, even the customers!

Had a great time working there. They are super flexible with shift patterns, the stores range from super busy and hectic to near empty and you get plenty of time to breathe and keep up with general tasks (Tidying the workspace, keeping up stock levels, etc.)

2nd family

To work somewhere that you can be yourself, surround yourself in the things you love is the best and to make life long friends Along the way just adds to the fantastic time I’ve had here

Pros

Music, friends, love

Cons

Basic minimum wage

Stimulating for music enthusiasts.

Many of the people I worked with at HMV were lovely people to talk to and extremely helpful in helping you learn the ropes. If you like film/music this is a great place for you, as you're encouraged to talk to the customers about what they're buying and this would often lead to really interesting conversations. Aside from serving, many of the duties at HMV were pretty easy which fits in with the relaxed work setting. The downside to working there was that I ended up spending loads on records! If you are an impulse buyer I'm not sure if this is the best place to work because I ended up buying a lot of stuff I didn't need. The other downside is that I was required to give a 4 weeks notice having not even worked 6 months at the job, which was frustrating as for me the job was interfering with my A Levels and I wanted to leave as soon as possible to focus on them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HMV. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare HMV with

• HMV
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?