HobbyCraft

HobbyCraft Employee Reviews

United Kingdom225 reviews

crafthobbytillstockcolleaguelovelydiscounttidy

Generally relaxed atmosphere

HC expects staff to an effort promoting their club card / cards issued, swiped and customer reviews monitored but staff get nothing more than a pay on the back for these. Most people work 4 hour shifts and you are expected to work at weekends and bank holidays.providing Good customer service is Essential

long hours and repetitive

very long shifts doing same tasks on your own very boring. pay is decent but personally not worth it as have no free time and extremely tired after shift

Insights into HobbyCraft

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things

Not good

Not good. Other colleagues are good but the management not so good. All panicking and shouting at the colleagues. Did not feel welcome at all.Good team but poor management

Worked in the head office/hub

I found the company itself to be OK but my team was the most unfriendly team I've ever worked for. My line manager appeared to be inexperienced and very uncaring. There was a very strange atmosphere and my team colleagues appeared to be very unhappy. One member of the team who sat next to me never even said hello or gave any eye contact in 5 weeks! No-one spoke to each other and when I raised this with my line manager she couldn't of cared less. I couldn't bear the awful atmosphere so I left.

Pros

The hours were OK.

Cons

Very unfriendly, work was boring, HR dept wasn't visible

Pressured, poor management and hard working employees

Hobbycraft is a fast paced environment to work. Everyone works hard there leaving no time for breaks and a good work life balance. I was excited to work for hobbycraft however the reality of working there changed my opinion of it. They expect a lot of there employees and are managed by people who don’t support you they just add more to the workload without giving you appropriate training. I felt like the team moral was low due to these issues and this made it a very tense environment to work in.

Fun and entertaining to work at

Very pleasant job. Lovely management and many things to do so you don’t get bored. The interview was very casual, first couple hours of work were online training such as safety at work, fire drills etc.

Busy warehouse

When I worked here, hobbycraft went through some big changes. It started OK at the new site but was overtaken by big personalities which was detrimental to the company. This was allowed to continue by the higher management.

Pros

It's a job

Cons

Heavy workload

Respectful and inclusive company to work for

A great company to work for, very inclusive and understanding. A great place to get the opportunity to show off your individuality and especially your creativity and skills/talents! Working in retail is fast-paced but like most places there will be quiet times when it’s more relaxed. All of my colleagues were amazing, and very supportive of team work. There’s opportunity to advance into higher positions from the very beginning. Holidays & pension is generous, pay is always more than government national minimum wage, colleague discount is amazing! In my experience they’re very flexible when it comes to other commitments you may have and they take into account work/life balance where possible.

Supportive

I worked for Hobbycraft for 5.5yrs and honestly loved every second they supported me while I studied and I have made friendships that have lasted if they had full time hours up for grabs I’d go back in a heartbeat

Bad management , good workers staying at home and poor one working every day

Bad management, really disappointed and always laying about shifts and hours 0 star for everything ,no communication between stuff.I don’t want to know anything about that company .I’ve been there the best picker ever with 165% performance every day

Stressful…

It honestly isn’t even about crafting anymore. The management here only care about how good they look and nothing more. It’s a shame because it started off quite well, but it started to go downhill.

Pros

Good Colleagues

Cons

Bad Management

Amazing Team, Terrible Management

Hobbycraft has been a very interesting place to work to say the absolute least. My general team are amazing and I love working with them, however I don’t have a lot of positive things to say about members of management. Store manager is stressy and will (figuratively) bite your head off when the slightest thing goes wrong. Assistant manager very immature and sometimes hard to believe she’s much more than 18. Never rolled my eyes in a job more in my life. Spend a lot of time on the till and covering the door as a ‘greeter’ which combined over an entire shift becomes quite mind numbingly boring. Great for a first job or if you’re looking for something Easier but be warned about nasty management and unprofessional conduct.

Pros

25% discount.

Cons

Management.

Fun, perfect for students

Had a great time working here for 3 years whilst I was a student! Flexible hours, could basically work as many hours as you wanted, it was really easy to pick up extra shifts. Was a fun, upbeat environment.

Busy environment very customer focused

As a member of the management team you need to be able to multi task and be organised in this busy environment. At times the workload can be heavy and you need to be prepared to work at a fast pace to complete tasks whilst also assisting customers and leading a team in their daily tasks and encouraging them to meet the stores KPI targets. You receive on going traing throughout your time with the company. Small yearly bonuses are awarded, good in store discount, birthday day off and regular store incentives.

Pros

Colleague Discount, Great work atmosphere, strong team focus.

Cons

Very busy at certain times of year.

Pressurised

So many codes to remember .Always busy to much time on the tills .Had to ask every customer if they wanted a loyalty card and sign them up .management are all about targets and sign ups .work colleges were good to work with.Staying on tills longer than the usual times slots .Taking into office for not having enough sign ups in front of other members of staff ( how unprofessional)

Pros

Discount

Cons

Till work

Good workplace, shocking management

While the pay seems appealing, the management team at Hobbycraft are unsupportive, condescending, and at times just horrible. The day to day job was enjoyable, I enjoyed what I did but felt looked down on by the rest of the management team. A very clicky workplace, felt like being back in high school.

Pros

Pay

Cons

No work/life balance, bad management, clicky.

Not a good place to work

Most of the staff are great it the office and management that are the problem changing the shifts so you have to work weekends(nights) with no more money that what it was before what a joke.For people who have a family at home like myself, big bosses don’t care I said I won’t see my family and his reply was well I will see mine, they don’t care about you as long as they are getting to job done Don’t go to hobby craft I know people that have been there years like my self and have left and since I have left I am a lot happier with my new jobs and the balance between work and home lifeJust avoid there is alot more better places to work than hobby craft

Pros

Cons

Hours, pay, bosses

Stressful, draining and NO appreciation

If you want a stress free life DO NOT join management at hobbycraft. Be a general assistant seeing as you don’t get paid much more for being a team leader for all the same stresses as a manager!!!!!

Pros

Holiday allowance

Cons

Management, both in store and above

Good for a part time job but no more than that.

Amazing company to work for if you’re only wanting a part time job with very little hours but good luck getting any more than 16-20 hours in a contract. Lots of overtime offered but can easily be taken away from you just as fast! It’s a very simple job and can usually be quite enjoyable, lots of holiday and the 25% discount is a bonus. Like most companies the higher management are slimey and very two faced, but they are over paid so they don’t have to care what you think!

Pros

Discount in store

Cons

Small contracts

Friendly and challenging

The atmosphere is usually relaxed and friendly, all the staff are lovely and the management are enjoyable to work for; they are understanding of your needs, but know when to challenge you and keep you stimulated. It can get busy and customers can sometimes be uncooperative but everyone works as a team and has your back when you need it. Overall I really enjoy working for Hobbycaft, and I can speak as someone who has worked at 2 of their branches (Ashford, Kent and Coventry)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, fair lunch break times, flexibility

Cons

Challenging customers, can be high stress

Creative and motivating place of work

An inclusive and supportive working environment that supports progression within the company. Shifts are dependable with flexibility for change with other colleagues. Holiday is generous, but does have holiday limitations throughout half terms and Christmas. Work is generally fulfilling, as well as inspiring to customers to try new crafts or consider options suggested. There's a focus on membership and swipes at Point of sale, so strong customer service skills are encouraged here with support where needed. Creative skills are encouraged with the Artisan position within store and online.

Pros

Discount card and generous holidays

Cons

Short contracted hours and holiday lockdowns

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HobbyCraft. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement