HobbyCraft

HobbyCraft Employee Reviews

The work itself is good for retail, it can be hit and miss depending on management. The customers are the saving grace to any cons. If you are passionate about craft this is the place for you!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long shift work
Absolutely loved working here. The staff were lovely and most were welcoming. The work itself is demanding but if you like craft then this is perfect. A very busy store with all sorts of customers, some not very nice but that comes with retail. Majority of customers were lovely. But... Management was awful. Shouldn't be a manager at all in my opinion. Never seen on main floor unless severely short staffed. Took weeks to get a jumper so I weren't freezing while I worked. Blamed my colleagues for his own opinions and pretty much forced me out because I had been ill a few times during my probation (something I never even knew I was on) - I literally sat there crying while he went on about how he'd never been ill and made it clear that I probably wouldn't pass this probation period. Honestly made me feel like s**t till I said that I quit and then he handed me a piece of paper, told me I had to write that I was leaving there and then and then escorted me to the back door to make sure I left. If it weren't for him, I'd still work there.
Pros
Great team of colleagues
Cons
Manager
I worked at hobby craft as a cleaner The girls were lovely Nice friendly team and managerIf it wasn’t due to being offered a job with more hours which would have coincided with my hours there I would be there now.
Pros
Lovely relaxed friendly atmosphere
Cons
Not enough hours for what I needed
My experience at hobbycraft stores was not one I ever wish to experience again. The team I worked alongside were sensational, both polite & welcoming. The management of the store however, are inconsistent, rude, would sometimes not even give you the time of day when you walk by to begin your shift, which I find truly appalling. I was really excited to begin working at Hobbycraft, the management seemed to care about me & my interests, but really, the business is all they care about, and if you don’t “fit in to their regime”, you can get lost, or as the manager told me on handing in my notice “you can leave now”.I don’t want my review to seem all negative, as there were great company perks working there, and the team were brilliant at helping you to learn the ropes.I very rarely leave reviews that are negative, but I genuinely feel so disappointed by how the company treated me, I couldn’t let this go un-noticed.During the Covid-19 pandemic, I began showing symptoms of the virus one day after my shift, I called the store first thing to inform them I’d be getting tested & would resume work the moment I knew it was negative/ or I’d isolated for 14 days. During this period, the store manager pestered me with constant messages for updates, demanding I return to work at the earliest possible convenience as they were short staffed, but never once invited a message to check if I was healthy, safe or ok. What kind of manager does this?All I ask if someone from Hobbycraft head office is reading this, you really concentrate on recruiting a management team for your stores that actually - more...
Pros
25% discount in store / Friendly team.
Cons
Bad management.
I really enjoyed my 5 years with the company. Such a family feel. Lovely place to be, the teams were so hard working and caring. Just like any other retailer things are tough and workload get bigger and more challenging. I only realised once I had left, how good things were. The grass is not always greener.
Pros
Small family feel.
Cons
Heavy workload.
Biased management practices. Favouritism between certain staff and management, some staff treated better than others. Poor management and conditions. Poor hygiene in washroom area. Some get desired days off.. Others refused. Depends on who is friendly with bosses or office staff. Seems to be over run with managers. Unsympathetic to employees problems/work issues.
Pros
Don't have to work weekends if desired
Cons
Poor management and working conditions
The current manager is the reason I left. She is awful. Promotes from within without interview or advertising which in employment law is illiegal. If you’re young and have no home life issues the manager will love you. Anyone else she dismisses. The team are fantastic mostly. Overall job is great. Poorly organised and shifts change at the drop of a hat
Pros
The team and customers
Cons
Manager
The Glasgow Fort management and supervisors bullied and intimidated staff. Not professional when dealing with staff members. I was only part time and waited over 6 weeks for a reference that never materialised even when I went to the GM who checked my file with No reference done and I lost out in a good job. The perpratators and thief got caught and the latter resigned.
Overall I LOVED working there but I did have a few issues at the time which lead me to leave, manager was under alot of stress not just from the job which effected the staff but have heard they have changed the manager now, some staff were abusive and rude not just to myself but to customers which again has been sorted now as well would love to go back again very fast pace work and it is hard but very rewarding.
Great place to work where you can share ideas and information about crafting projects; the workplace culture is to be helpful and to support each other in all areas.
A typical day was starting with Team Leader, he was giving works to his department members, if it was busy, I was able to work in my department, if no, they was sending me on pick (and it doesn't matter, that I was working in my department from the beginning). Coleagues was very friendly, Team Leader was helpful, sometimes following me to the toilet, in the end of shifts was usually watching uncensored content. Job was easy. I learned how to pick, pack, use wrap machine, do put aways, work in a team and other warehouse duties. Management was very weak, most of them don't know how to communicate with people. I was bullied couple of times. Workplace culture, could be good, if everyone would respect the rules. The hardest part of the job was, that I was showing all my effort, but not rated enough. Most enjoyable parts of job is the collective (except managment).
Hobbycraft have no incentive, they just want you to work for free if they could. Not a nice atmosphere as no work relationship can be formed because of the fact they are watch you and expect you to be working silently. No standards in the warehouse. Insufficient training given to those who start on agency.
Hobbycraft is a good place to work. It's nothing special but never a dull moment as the atmosphere is enough to keep you on your toes. Management are decent and the company provides adequate facilities.
Role includes a wide ranged remit, with the chance for an ambitious and willing individual to gain invaluable experience for future development. The working environment is challenging, demands continuous self drive and integrity, whilst offering self reward as an outcome of extensive functional areas that require being covered. Individuals can have strong influence when approaching in the right manner, and the business has a solid growth strategy offering stability and security within the role available.
Do not work here - you owe it to your mental health. I have seen far too many people come & leave with various disorders. It breaks my heart. Minimum wage. And I mean minimum. Zero training. Ineffective and lazy Management. Bullying culture with Management treating colleagues as an inconvenience.
Lovely, friendly working environment. Very understanding colleagues and management. Decent staff discount and opportunities for learning new skills all the time. Generally the customers are pleasant and there are lots of friendly regulars.
Management is lacking, a bullying environment with no real support from colleagues. Lots of pressure to sign up customers to loyalty cards when the loyalty cards don't even have much benefit so I don't blame the customers for not being interested.
really bad place to work. horrible people, no respect, you are stepping up if you are aaaa licker or you sleeping with managers, managers controlling you all the time e.g walking in aisle and follow you if you are stopped for 1 min, not allowed to drink water too often because of targets... going toilet being watched all the time, in winter not allowed to go to canteen and get a hot drink to warm yourself as the Bay doors are open all the time so is like working outside for 8hrs. '' Team Leaders'' with no experience racist and no respect showed for all the time. Pregnant womans had to go back on picking and normal fit people been put on light duties instead woman 2 weeks before due. This place is crazy, I could carry on for next hour but I feel sick thinking how much time I have wasted in this place. Since this place been opened only max 5 people left, how many people left with depression and how many people want to forget about this place. NOT WORTHY TO BE TREAT LIKE THE.. DOGS. all what they want to make sure people are running like dogs. I spend too much time in this place and if havent got connection then you are no one.
Should be great in theory esp if you're into crafts,art baking etc.however you are constantly playing catchup with late notification of offers and price changes.the customers often can't see the correct price on items and are rightly fed up if items aren't the price indicated or not in stock when told they are.the team leaders are treated very badly,with a lot of pressure and responsibilities put on them for less than a pound more than general assistants.the assitant managers do a lot of work but if they are any good they soon get moved on to another store,to help it improve.no real consistency in management,we had 9 managers in 5 years,all with very different ways of running the teams and slagging each other off.what was once at least a fun place to work initially has now been damaged by toxic managers running the store like a dictatorship and have drained the staff of any enthusiasm and goodwill.
Hard working environment. Need plenty of knowledge in all types of crafts. Only worked part time so sometimes felt as though new products were not explained properly.
Pros
Staff discount
I worked at Hobbycraft for two years, which is nothing in comparison to some of the long standing team. If you can keep up with the amount of times they rearrange the store, you have a fair amount of knowledge either about craft, or you are just playful enough to learn then your onto a winner. The only downside is that the managers do not do enough to progress the rough diamonds in amongst their team. It was frustrating and upsetting and in turn I began to dislike the place that I so loved because of all the empty promises to work with me on progressing to to a team leader. I didn't have years to give them as life was difficult on so few hours given. You can only do 30 hrs if you are a manger or team leader. Below that your looking at 16-24 hrs which is not sustainable for long periods of time (depending on lifestyle).
  1. Employee reviews