HobbyCraft

HobbyCraft Pay & benefits reviews

I worked at Hobbycraft for two years, which is nothing in comparison to some of the long standing team. If you can keep up with the amount of times they rearrange the store, you have a fair amount of knowledge either about craft, or you are just playful enough to learn then your onto a winner. The only downside is that the managers do not do enough to progress the rough diamonds in amongst their team. It was frustrating and upsetting and in turn I began to dislike the place that I so loved because of all the empty promises to work with me on progressing to to a team leader. I didn't have years to give them as life was difficult on so few hours given. You can only do 30 hrs if you are a manger or team leader. Below that your looking at 16-24 hrs which is not sustainable for long periods of time (depending on lifestyle).
Do not work here - you owe it to your mental health. I have seen far too many people come & leave with various disorders. It breaks my heart. Minimum wage. And I mean minimum. Zero training. Ineffective and lazy Management. Bullying culture with Management treating colleagues as an inconvenience.
Exciting business with good structure and future developments. I have worked for the business for over 10 years. Fair company, good salary and holiday benefits
Working at hobbycraft merry hill, management team are very kind and allows help me to learn and grow in the company. I’m in the process of being an artisan for the company and feel very happy working for the company
Pros
Competitive salary
Hobbycraft was a really good first job for me. They were flexible around me going to Sixth form and didnt reall demand to much from me. Their wew some moments when I did end up frustrated but overall they were a really good company to work for and the pays not to bad if I remeber correctly.
If you love crafting dont work for this company. The ONLY thing they are interested in is how many club sign-ups you can get to make managers look good.Very poor management generally,not interested in craft, and favouritism is rife.Mega disheartening if you genuinely love craft,it is not appreciated or rewarded.Expected to provide exceptional service but unreasonable when there are so few staff. If you can sell club cards and are happy to stand at a till for hours listening to the endless complaints that there REALLY are no benefits with them, rthen this is the job for you.
Management was poor. No benefits , forced to work overtime as were understaffed. If did not accept overtime, You were classed as off sick for the overtime you did not approve. Colleagues were lovely.
Salary is great, as is employee benefits, however I found management to be less than understanding and very unapproachable. Lack of communication between supervisors and management and no support when dealing with difficult customers
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
busy place to work, especially weekends, lots of customers, understaffed, need a good working knowledge of crafts and or active participation in one. :)
Pros
25 % staff discount
Cons
no decent manager, incredibly understaffed.
If you like working in a busy environment with plenty to do, plus learning new crafts, you will enjoy it here. I worked at hobbycraft for 4 years and enjoyed it - I was on a 16 hour contract though and would only occasionally get overtime. New people would come in and be given hours those of us who'd worked there years were begging for. Some management great, some don't know what they're doing. Work can be monotonous but it's easy and enjoyable as well.
Pros
Good atmosphere generally, generous holidays, slightly above min wage, good discount
Cons
Contract unlikely to change, some poor management
Learnt a lot in my 3 and a half years working here. Very productive and if you want to progress the option is there. Management could be supportive and training was always carried through and checked. Only negative was we was always short staffed and only part time hours available to general assistants. Pension scheme and holiday pay offered. Lovely team of people to work with despite lots of faces coming and going. Retail was not for me anymore but still a great place to work.
Pros
Free training. Pension scheme. Great team to work with.
Cons
Low Pay. Only Part Time Hours.
A typical shift is 4 hours which isn't bad at all but the jobs are repetitive and it is hard to get overtime as they are struggling to stretch the budget. The management is okay but it does depend on the moods they are in. They also struggle to praise you for doing a good job or going an extra mile and are quick to just move you onto the next job as soon as possible.
Pros
25% discount on all things including sale items.
Cons
Shifts do drag.
I work there part-time, after few months I got my hours doubled on contract, so if you really want to work there and they need you you can get more hours on contract or as an overtime. As a colleague you can get max 30hrs per week on contract which is still part time. Only full time workers are team leaders and managers. You should be prepared that the only days off are Christmas and Easter (that’s our bank holidays at hobbycraft), so if you’re lucky and your shift is on these days, you’ll have a day off, yay! You usually can’t use your annual leave before and during these periods as it gets super busy and deliveries are enormous. The job itself is pretty simple if the store isn’t busy, there’re no bank holidays or half terms. You should be prepared that some customers want to start a new hobby, they don’t know what they actually like and expect you to help them, it’s funny sometimes. Also surprisingly many customers expect you to know everything about every single item in the store + where it’s located. You will be spending your time doing stock, put backs, being on tills, tidying or doing demos or merchandising from time to time all of that under fire of customers’ questions. What annoys me the most in my job is the pressure on sign ups. Hobbycraft’s loyalty card system doesn’t really give the customers anything valuable so you’ll be often listening to complaints of regular customers that they don’t get any discounts, nor vouchers or they get them very rarely. It’s all about our customers so it’s sad to see them disappointed. We definitely could do more about it, add - more...
Pros
Discount, flexible hours, overtime available
Cons
It can be really busy at times and you have to work under pressure
A great, fun place to work.. staff so friendly, customers great.. very flexible with you if you have appointments, commitments etc... good pay for retail, management lovely but hidden away!
Pros
Friendly, salary, holidays
Cons
Management not seen enough
pushes you to get people to sign up to their card. But flexible for my student time table. Also good pay for under 18 year olds and a haven for people who like craft
Pros
good pay
Cons
pushes targets
Good company, push to many jobs on you with very little staff and keep cutting hours. No extra hours at peak trading but they will take them off you when quite
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Always making you change things
I enjoy working at Hobby Craft. The Derby store has a great team. i love interacting with the customers - we often have lots of fun conversations about their current projects and I often find myself leaving work inspired to get creative when I get home. The only downside to the job is that my hours regularly change and, as I'm not a full time staff member, the salary isn't quite enough to pay the bills! All in all though, a great workplace and I'd recommend particularly for students or those who are not dependent on their salary to pay life's essentials.
Pros
Discounted items in store
Cons
Changing shifts
Don't apply to work here if you think your days will be all about making things. In fact, being creative is no longer a requirement. As long as you tick the target boxes, push pointless loyalty cards, and brown nose the boss, you'll be fine. Management not interested in anything other than making themselves look good, and are happy to throw you under the blame bus. Don't dare to have an opinion or idea, as it will be used against you or 'claimed' as management. If you are happy to be a Retail Robot, then this is the job for you. Don't expect any recognition or praise.
Pros
Home time.
Cons
I was doing my work experience there the work staff was friendly enough and the work was enjoyably I wold recommend going to work there. the work times I was given was reasonable hours as well.
Pros
Had a good time while working there.
Cons
short shifts
If you expect to be able to help customers and find out about crafts don't get a job at Hobbycraft. They keep staff levels to a bare minimum but expect standards which will leave you frustrated. Most customers are lovely (if you get the chance to talk to them) but you will be doing a four hour shift which will probably consist of them expecting 8 hours worth of work out of you. The 25% discount is the best part of working there along with the finishing time
Pros
25% discount
Cons
No specific set hours
In the beginning the work load did not seem so bad, however the management is practically non existent, the staff are usually lively and fun to work with, the customers to a certain extent can be but they are usually rude towards you. The pay is decent and the discount is one of the best parts of the job.
Pros
discount
Cons
work load