HOLLAND PARK SCHOOL

HOLLAND PARK SCHOOL Culture reviews

United Kingdom26 reviews

Clear

Exciting and Challenging Environment

I have worked in many schools and I can say that working at Holland Park was a pleasure. It was a great opportunity to work with excellent colleagues and be exposed to a professional and career centered enviroment.

Terrifying management

Unacceptable management style. Bullying management culture pupil are enjoyable and talented. Clear space to work and direction on what needs to be done

Pros

Professional environment

Cons

Poor management

Insights into HOLLAND PARK SCHOOL

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things

Lovely kids, unacceptable management

The management preyed on inexperienced teachers who know no better: the stress and expectations placed on staff here were neither normal nor necessary.NQTs who worked a minimum of 12 hours per day - plus weekends - were idolised rather than helped. Other staff were made to feel guilty for going to the gym or making half term plans.Lessons were theatrical, in that they were largely for show - as were many of the school’s burdensome, legalistic, and frankly excessive policies. I would not recommend working here.

Pros

Lovely kids

Cons

Long hours, culture of fear

Productive, fast paced environment

Faced paced and professional environment. I feel valued and well managed in terms of my short term and long term goals. All hard work is rewarded and valued at Holland Park School. The leadership team are pro-active and work extremely hard to push you to be the best version of yourself.

Terrifying culture, extremely damaging for the mental and emotional well-being of staff

A culture of fear and intimidation for all members of staff and particularly those with a voice who disagree with the way the Headmaster runs the school. Students are a joy but equally terrified of Senior Leadership staff. Staff do not tend to stay for longer than 2 years.

Controlling and frightening culture

The students are fantastic. Unfortunately they are not treated equally and staff are made aware of who has the most important parents - these children will have their books marked first and in the most detail. Staff turnover is so high because the demands placed on teachers are unreasonable. The leadership team use underhand tactics, such as threats of disciplinaries for vague situations that they will not explain as this would trigger a disciplinary, leaving the employee feeling vulnerable and frightened. The culture is very much one of fear for students and staff alike and it is not uncommon for students and staff to be publicly humiliated, for example by being made to sit in order of who earns the most to the least, or being a student who is screamed at in the atrium of the school when you know that the school's 'open door' teaching policy means that most of the student and staff bodies can hear what's being shouted at you. I would not recommend taking a job at Holland Park School.

Great culture, great students

I was so pleased to come to a place of work that actually takes itself seriously. In a few of the jobs I did before, managers were not interested in my work, there was a culture of filling time and going home as soon as the shift finished. Here, everyone takes pride in their work. It is definitely demanding, and you get to know if your work isn’t good enough! But the place is organised, the vast majority of staff want to produce the best experience for students and students are (unusually) appreciative of extra clubs you run and trips you take. I recommend it.

Demanding but rewarding place to work

It is a fast-paced, professional environment. The students are wonderful and the leadership team are inspiring.  We all work hard but I am proud of what we achieve.

Holland Park School

The typical day at work is fast paced. What I learnt is that the school has a high turn over rate, plus to support students with special educational needs. The management is done well and is structured, but sometimes you are focused into tasks that you don't want to do. The workplace culture is encouraged and supported by your department. The hardest part of the job supporting students and not having the correct training to help them succeed.The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the young people.

Pros

Holidays and working with young people

Cons

short breaks and being talked belittled.

productive

the management and and the SEN team are brilliant and supportive of further training. staff members were friendly and easy to talk to the school takes pride in results and ensuring students get the grades they can achieve.

Pros

easy location

Cons

short lunch break

Outstanding workplace

It is an outstanding school. I couldn´t be happier with my job at the moment. The quality of teaching, the fantastic relationship between colleagues, the scenery where we are working. I can just feel privileged. It is a very demanding place as people may think, but you cannot succeed if you are not exigent with yourself and try your best. Behaviour and good manners are very important, also kindness and politeness. Definitely, a faboulous place to work.

A very rewarding work place

I work with two special needs children, both are very challenging and are both very strong willed. I support them to integrate into the classroom as well as supporting them to progress in their own IEP. I work within a large team , various teachers and support staff which we all support each other. I also work with small groups of children who are at the lower end of ability and need that extra support. Its lovely to see children progess and grow in confidence.

Pros

very rewarding

Cons

not enough hours in the school day to acheive everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HOLLAND PARK SCHOOL. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement