Home Bargains

Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Found 1,798 reviews matching the search
Where to start.. The job itself was very easy, especially for slightly over minimum wage. a usual day at home bargains starts with getting there early, and clocking in. I’d find out which till I’d be on for the whole day, and then just clean up, tidy and put out stock if it ever got quiet. It could either be tedious and boring at times, or get overwhelming busy. The people there are lovely though, made some great friends! Some of the management were really nice and helped whenever needed. My coworkers made the experience enjoyable. Now to the bad stuff. As a student, I was mainly available on weekends.. however they always expect you to be flexible 24/7 and work extra, your contracted hours are just the minimum you’ll do. Another thing is that they never ask before putting you on overtime. The amount of 9 hour days I did were exhausting! And as if 8am-6pm wasn’t enough, half of the time the heating was broken, so expect to be freezing during the winter. You need 3 layers at the very least. Some certain people were also very entitled, and it always felt like I was picked on for every little thing I did wrong. As if they were searching for a reason to get me in trouble.In conclusion, I’d recommend this as a first job for students, just working part-time to make some cash. I’d never work there full time though.
Pros
The people, easy but tiring, guaranteed break
Cons
Long hours, very unreasonable, some management, should honestly get paid more
Quite possibly, the worst job I've ever had. I've worked in lots of retail companies and this is the worst one by far.Stringent targets for putting out large cages of stock (45 minutes per cage). Barely any training whatsoever.Several members of management were borderline hostile. One of them stared at you, seemingly with brimming rage and another talked down to you in a condescending manner.Being told you weren't allowed in the warehouse for no discernible reason, even though this made things more inefficient, and worse - other members of staff sauntering in to have a chat whilst you were left outside looking for a member of management to either let you in or to go in for you.Couldn't even get two minutes of time from any member of management, even for an important discussion. Having to inappropriately discuss things on the shop floor and being told to "keep to your aisle."Being contracted to 4 hours a day, five days a week with unplanned overtime every day to meet delivery targets.Being pulled up for the smallest thing within a few days of working there, including leaving a box tucked in on the side of an aisle whilst you temporarily went and helped a customer. If you go and put the said box on a cage, you'll then get told to "hurry up", assumedly because you're wasting time doing the things they have instructed you to do in the first place.Long, endless queues with not enough tills to cope with customer demand.A member of management loudly complaining in earshot of a customer that we shouldn't be blowing up balloons, despite there being equipment dedicated - more...
Pros
Cons
Almost everything
filling shelves/ how to merchendise products/ talking to customers and helping them find what they are looking for ,/ till work / stocktaking keeping shelves tidy and clean .working in a team and on your own.
Pros
staff room, for your breaks
Cons
The people really create the experience of homebargains. If you have great staff alongside you, the work can be fun. However, my experience at 2 stores shows that management lack skills. Rotas are changed last minute, so it’s hard to have a life outside of work. They’re often rude to the extent customers comment on their attitude, which is what I experienced across both stores. The shifts can be okay, however fill shift has no finishing time meaning you can be there from 4 to 10 hours in my experience. The wage is above minimum, but compared to the industry, wage is below average
Pros
10% staff discount
Cons
Poor treatment of staff, no finishing time, last minute rota change
Staff were amazing the management were not. Job was ok keeping busy all day stacking shelves had to be fast on tills too. Nice people to serve as well.
Managers have favourites and dislike you if you aren’t their favourites. Constantly changing rules without informing you and expecting you to know. !!
Pros
Cons
Managers horrible
The people make this place special and the company is fair. It is very fast paced so you need to be willing and able to learn quickly on the job and work efficiently.
When I worked at home bargains, the managers thought they were better than everyone else they never asked How are you all they said was do this do that! Furthermore, they gave you different hours every week it was not consistent one week you had 4 pm to 8 pm the next week you had 11:30am to 7:15 pm.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Rude managers and inconsistent hours
The manager needs to get off his high horse and actually speak to store members with a bit of respect. Rude! never ever been in a work place like it. All the other store members are lovely but if they’ve got a red jacket they think they can talk to you like....It really isn’t hard for a grown adult to ask and say please or thank you instead of saying ‘put that out’ it’s a major shambles - already looking for a new job. Rather get paid less and be treated with respect.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
If you have kids don’t bother working here they don’t help around childcare hours are rubbish, ask for your breaks to be told to do something else Iv never know a place like this
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long hours on days and 2 hour shifts on other days, no family flexibility
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Home Bargains?
Used to be a nice place to work but now the management talks down to you unless you are their favourite. You are spoken down to the moment you say no to them no matter how many times you have been helpful in the past.You just get no respect and management treat you like it is a surprise you have a life outside of work even in lockdown. While they sit in the back with a drink and food in office for up to 5 hours a day!Floor staff are friendly for the most part and get you through on tough days unlike the managers.
Pros
Friendly staff members
Cons
Long hours, spoken down to by management
Do not work here! Management is very up the companies butt, two faced, and lie. They move the goal post and expect you to start at 6 am, then 5 am. Expecting you to bend over backwards for them but NEVER return the favour. They won't pay night wage or "unsociable hours" pay, and constantly ask if you can stay longer. Management do not care about their staff (supervisors and up dont care about the underlings), leaving staff frustrated, irritated, and stuck. Your availability gets changed without your permission, and management threaten staff members if staff members don't comply. They threaten to cut your hours down if you don't do as they say, and they expect you to clear cages in an impossible time frame. Overall it is the worst possible place to work. The only singular good thing about it is that the other fill shift (blue shirts) that you work with are lovely and helpful.
Cons
This job is only useful if your a student or near retirement. No career can be made from this job. Management is poor and will put pressure on you with talking down to you and letting you know you are only as good as your part time contract. You can take overtime because they need you but thier is simply no appreciation as it gives them more of an opportunity to harrass you while your doing your best. After reading other reviews i am glad its not just me. This company needs to look at the way staff are treated and that for working adults like myself a part time contract doesnt even cover rent. Will be looking to join a better company once the pandemic is over.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Managers
Excellent place to work for they aways cater for your needs ie shift patterns etc im enjoying it Also great team always there to help you incase you get stuck
Pros
Good pay and hours to suit
Cons
Learned quickly that if you weren't in with the Manager then none of the Lead Sales would support you either. Extremely two faced back stabbing culture which verged on bullying. High turnover of staff due to this. If you were not one of the sheep you continually got the worst hours on the rota.The most enjoyable part of the job was receiving the wage and clocking off. Have worked in retail before but this store has dented my confidence and put me right off applying for retail positions again.
Pros
Not much really
Cons
Ever changing rota
Salary is good. But it’s stressful especially if you are not one of the favourites. Every manager have their favourites. Loads of discrimination. Managers get bonuses on Christmas and bank holidays. While the staff gets no bonuses . All the company rules applies on staff and on no management . Depends on the locality .. where I worked was super busy fast paced and rude customers so my experience wasn’t great
Pros
Pay weekly, good salary rates
Cons
Stressful, discrimination
The management are actually terrible. Talk down to you. There was one case that everyone was bought into the warehouse the manager pick stuff up through items around there was goes was just come out of school petrified. Definitely the worst place I’ve ever worked
The company management need to be more praising of their members of staff and offer bonuses. The company should acknowledge and be more supportive of holiday and leave requirements.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
You get very little hours spread over the week, the staff runs like a hierarchy. People french-kissing certain people's bums to get into the in-group. The produce they sell is worst of the worst. Cheap brands that not the over 75's buy and knock-off produce that lacks in flavour, quality, etc... making the 10% off discount not very worthwhile. One of the worst places I've worked. Never have I been treated so horribly.
Pros
Cons
Working there is a con
Was not given enough hours. Mangers dropped me from 16 hours a week to just 4 hours a week but environment overall was alright,wouldn't say irs the best .
Pros
Easy walking distance
Cons
Money was rubbish.
it’s the same repetitive day every single day, nothing changes also the management here are rude and the staff are questionable, wouldn’t recommend although i have worked in other stores within this company and they seem so much better and less tense to go into so depends on what store you work in really
Pros
easy money
Cons
pretty much everything
  1. Employee reviews