Home Bargains

Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Found 1,781 reviews matching the search
I had an interview and was offered job within a few hours. Had my induction two days later and my shift the day after that, didn't make it to my second shift as I quit before it not for any particular reason just simply wasn't for me I have never worked in retail before so it was a big change from what I'm use to. I must say the store I worked in and the people I met in the couple or days there were all so lovely and the management also seemed really nice I had heard a lot of stories which didn't paint their team and management in a good light but the team I worked with were really nice.
Pros
Lovely people
Cons
Unsociable hours
Worked at the Bridgwater store not so long ago, at first all seemed well and I thoroughly enjoyed my job within the store. However it became quickly apparent that you needed to "get in good with the store manager" The culture within the store felt like they were looking for any reason to fire you, even for the lesser serious incidents.I would never recommend anybody work here (it may be different in a different store but I can only speak from my experience)
Pros
Good Wage, Reliable hours
Cons
Shifts are always longer than expected. Manager plays favourites
Working at home bargains all depends on the management. Before i applied i had heard terrible things about terrible managers who were nasty but i have to say the manager of my branch and the general management are all really nice people. I have never felt uncomfortable asking for days off or any help at all. Of course they ask that you put 100% work effort in but that is expected. They are all down to earth and really nice. A typical work day is mainly either working on tills, cleaning shelves and bringing stock forward or opening boxes and stocking shelves. Occasionally the manager may ask you to rearrange a shelf or aisle with them but very rarely. All my co-workers are also down to earth and even though i barely know any of them you can chat with them and they are great. The hardest part of the job is the fill shift as even though it is a 4 hour shift by default it can last upto 6 or 7 hours depending on how lazy the other staff on shift are. Personally i love being on the tills because its very easy and i hate opening boxes all the time.
Pros
10% discount, good management
Cons
Your back aches from standing up for long shifts, no chair at the tills
No work life balance made to stay without asking and make you work all day with no break. No structure or organisation of the work place. Have shop lifters in all the time and meant to memories them all.
Pros
Cons
The job
Really enjoy working at home bargains. Everyone is really nice , always kept busy. Good rate of pay also.Staff are very helpfull and nothing is to much bother for them.
This company is an awful company to work for. The hours are horrendous and your expected to work miracles in such little time. Your treated like rubbish and are never listened to. I would never work for this company again. Senior managers are lazy and can’t be bothered to do anything themselves.
Worked in Banbridge store only there for 3months as MANAGEMENT was rude,abusive and just plain nasty, when I applied I clearly stated I have austism and couldn't deal with being on tills and was forced to use tills or leave and tried to pay for holiday and was told no even though was for funerel, just very unhappy exspeirience, staff were nice though and one of the like 10 mangers was decent
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Management, hours
Management on night shifts are very clicky and manipulitive, heath and saftey yeah ok (what a joke) increased rodent problem was reported multiple times but never got feedback, bad comunication.Never giving full training on the job roles i was given and still expected high standards.Always understaffed in my area and when asked for more staff they would send unexperiance and barely spoke english which made the job harder
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Managment nights
Working for home Bargains is better suited for a student, wage is slightly higher than minimum wage but isn’t a job for life and certainly isn’t a place for progression unless your happy to praise management who are happy to belittle staff in front of other staff and customers, for absolutely no reason whatsoever.
Pros
There isn’t any
Cons
Working your butt of to watch management drink coffee on the shop floor talking to each other
Working with colleagues is like a family. You get full training for tills, replenishing stock I. E fill shift, trained for using buffing machine by management for cleaning
Pros
Wage hourly rate higher than minimum wage
Cons
I worked here as a part time job as I was doing college at the same time. My contact was 8 hours per week yet most days I’d spend 8 hours there as well as being put on overtime when I couldn’t attend as I had assignments I simply had to do for college upon explaining that management didn’t care. The pay is ageist they give you the very minimum that they can. Majority of the time you will not receive your breaks and even then it’s such a short amount of time. I Adobe you to look elsewhere this is is a terrible place to work, when I quit so did others because of the same exact reason each staff member hated it there because of management.
Cons
Management, no breaks, long hours, no understanding for staff
stay far away from here the management is awful and choose their favourites. i went home crying everyday and i was exhausted from working constantly and starting at 7:30 most days. absolutely no support from the management. get a 15 minute break for a 6 hour shift.
Pros
Cons
everything
This place is a joke, management wont help you with anything, they'll treat you like a slave and play favourites, when you ask for a break based on what your contract states they'll quote the government website before they honour what they made you sign, when it comes to shift requests and holidays you have to use their app and they NEVER honour anything and if you request to swap with other staff they wont help you because they hate the place more than you.
Pros
10% staff discount...... wow let me give you your money back.
Cons
Short shifts, treated like s**t, no stability, zero hour contract, favouritism, 5am starts to be sent home at 7am, useless employee app.
Great place to work good atmosphere, teamwork is key. Having good communication with both staff and always putting our customers first. Even during this pandemics which has been difficult at times we as a team have gotten through the toughest of days.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Weekly pay
Managers do nothing apart from talk to each other in the back no help to the fill shift at all this is the main reason nobody ever gets away for 10pm. Staff are great but never met a more useless bunch of supervisors and managers
Favouritism is an issue you will work all weekend every weekend if management think you're a doormat.You work about 6 hours before you can get a 15 min break.No work/life balance & mentally draining.
Whilst the salary is questionable, and area management is horrific. On site management and the people are awesome, you become kind of like a family and it is really one of a kind on the Caerphilly site at least.
Pros
10% discount and great company
Cons
Low salary
A very normal workplace. Shifts are easy, but can get a bit stressful when the store is busy. Everybody gets along, and the management is helpful and fair.
Pros
Close-knit colleagues. Easy work.
Cons
Some shifts can be too short, others too long. Can get stressful if busy.
I enjoyed working here, I experienced a lot of skills and really helped me grow as a person. The management team are really understanding and nice, it is a very fast place environment as the nature of the business is growing.
Pros
staff are lovely
Cons
No set finishing time, sometimes finished at 6pm sometimes 10pm, didnt know until you started shift. Poor management, power hungry and talked behind other staff members backs.Minimal/zero breaks.Boring work, lack of variety.Would not recommend at all.
Very poor management, they will change your shift with no notice, and if your unlucky enough to be on the fill shift you have no finish time, it’s more like a prison sentence then a job
Pros
Cons
Everything just avoid working there
  1. Employee reviews