Home Bargains

Insights into Home Bargains

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Stressful, and not looked after by management

Changed my hours without my consent...Limited and only have contracted hours.. while they had favourites...Forced to do certain days even with a flexible scheduleManagement don't guide you..

Just awful.

Terrible management. Constantly looking for staff to make mistakes to bring them into the office. Bad atmosphere and the attitude of if you don't like it you know where the door is. No flexibility with shifts. Working three hour shift one day and then an 8 hour shift the next. Shifts over five days some weeks and only given 20 hour contracts.

Pros

None.

Cons

Management, flexibility, pay.

Fun place to work

I really grew at this place the people I met and worked with are now my family.I really found how to communicate with customers and how to deal with money.

Pros

Great understanding

Cons

Can be to fast pasted

Fast pace but fun

The company is the best that I worked for the management is friendly and helpful you know you can go to one of them and talk to them and the colleagues are warm and helpful

Fun, Manageable and Good Staff

Very nice and friendly environment to work in. Hard working and considerate management who were flexible to my needs. Great team culture. However, the pay does not match the work level, as lazy people got better/same pay as the hard working ones.

Pros

Breaks, Flexible and Friendly, Nice colleagues

Cons

Average pay

Not a good place to work

Not a good place to work. Constantly expected to work overtime (sometimes staying up to 4 hours after the shift had officially ended) due to unrealistic expectations and deadlines. Often a lack of staff due to the manager cutting costs on rotas, which created a stressful and unhappy work environment. Overall, most colleagues were nice to work with but the environment was negative.

Do not work here

Stay well clear of this company. Management are awful and you are treated with no respect. Customers are horrible and shout at you all the time. Always kept late, not given breaks on 8+ hour shifts some days, ridiculously low pay especially for students. Please stay clear and save yourself the depression this company will make you develop.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Everything else

Stressful

Very fast past environment higher management pull u up for slightest thing very target driven hard working people you can work with can be the best thing

Pros

N/a

Cons

Long days

Stay well clear !@

Stay well clear the worst job you can apply for theres no progression if your not a friend of the management your not going anywhere unless your great at making tea ! The managers wear headsets and the openly backbite staff members regardless whos listening they only follow the rules when they hear the regional managers coming in staff are treated so badly its mentally draining and toxic place your never thanked or aporeciated no natter how hard you work staff are constantly shouted nobody is ever trained properly and people are leaving everyother week ! Please stay away

The company is non accepting of disabilities and unwilling to make lawful reasonable adjustments

The company have a great system in place to give support for mental health and disability,but this is purely smoke and mirrors. Speed of task which i understand is important, overrides personal well being.

Horrible place to work

Unorganised and the managers don’t care about you. They have favourites, and even when you’re a good worker, they make you feel bad about yourself. I asked for my graduation off and they let me go.

Keep an open mind

Retail is stressful more so since COVID. Just because management wear a different uniform don't think they aren't doing there best by everyone. It is team work that works. Get the right team you've a job and friends for life.

5ujtnyjunjy

it was great the people are great the managment are the best i had a good time here at this place I would come back if i didnt have a diff job at a diff place

Alright

Alright job but management could be better, the pay is good, above minimum wage and the staff are very nice. The hours can be stupid times but overall its a job so

Appauling

Do not work hereStressful work environment schedules changed at last minuteNo work/home life balanceExpected to work over contracted hours most weeks with no thanks

Unhelpful Management and no organisation

Firstly i was promised a full time contract when applying for Home Bargains Middlesbrough however the maximum hours i ended up working per weekly was barely over 20 hours, if the job role was porperly advertised then i would have not even bothered applying.Another annoying thing was not been given any uniform and having to remind the manager of the store multiple times to order my uniform however eventually this seemed useless and the manager did not seem bothered or seem to care about providing the correct uniform despite me working there fore 4 months already.Whenever i was unsure about anything i would always ask to double check that was i was doing was correct to avoid mistakes however the manager seemed to lack any sort of leadership skills and just expected me to know everything from day one without barely any training. Asking for guidance seemed to irrotate the stores manager which was a big indicator that if i continued this job i would just be left to my own devices and unable to obtain support when necessary.The high staff turnover was majorly concerning too, in my time at the store, 4 team members left as well as the WHOLE management team leaf within the space of 2 weeks including myself.Shift patterns were terrible too, rotas always were changed without warning and you never know you shifts for more than 2 weeks in the future with is terrible for a work / life balance.Overall the store failed to provide the correct training, correct equipment / uniform and the support required to complete the role confidently.

Pros

Cons

No support offered, Lack of empathy, No work / life balance, no uniform provided, ignorent and unhelpful management

GREAT at first

I applied for a Christmas temp position at home bargains, was really excited to work there, had the interview on a Tuesday, got a call Wednesday and my induction day was Friday. For the first couple of weeks, I had a good time but I also have school. I told the management before I even started when I could and could not work yet they would put me down for a shift when I had lessons and I would tell them, I can't do it, and they instead of changing them to fit my schedule in which they knew off, they told me to come in. This means I had to choose between losing time at school or losing income, I chose to lose my income as school is more important to me. This was the reason why I ended up quitting before my Christmas Temp finished.Some of the people I worked with, I had only known for just under a month, but they were some of the most amazing people I've ever had the chance to work with and I'm glad that I was able to meet them. Ultimately, the most enjoyable part of the job was looking at my rota for the week and not seeing a timeslot when I was supposed to be working.

Pros

10% staff discount, The staff that I worked with were great people

Cons

Staff discount does not apply to family like other retail stores, its exclusively for the employee, They might give you hours when you can't do them EVEN if you tell them that you can't

Good work for students

Great shop to work in, staff and managers make up for the long hours of work and just make it fun, stress will come with the job but then is rewarded

Nice Staff, Kept busy, Supportive

I have worked here for almost 3 years. I enjoy coming into work because the staff here are great and really supportive. It is a busy chain so you are kept going but everyone helps each other out. A negative is that management may change the rotas at short notice like the night before your shift, usually for their own benefit. Apart from that management are usually easy going and issues tend to be sorted outl.

Pros

10% discount, recent payrise, staff members great to work with, management are supportive

Cons

shift changes without notice

Team member

Worst place I've ever worked in my life if your not in the click you get every late shift and every weekend, not good when you have kids. 1st time I've been in a retail role where management literally walk around doing nothing on fill shifts! Management or not if theirs a job to be done erm do it. Literally one member of management who actually cared to the rest your just a number ignored, no management communication what's so ever you'd speak to one then ask the manager what was going on he knew nothing about it then when he says why haven't you been to see me well I'm on every late your not here then expected to come in earlier to speak to him because is reply is I have a family at home erm so do I but it didn't matter about mine

Playground behaviour of Management

Most of staff friendly but usual clique mentality egged on by Management. Work was ok - tills always busy, endless job tidying up the shelves, time pressure working stock. Enjoyed assisting customers but that stops you meeting target to empty stock cages.

Pros

Discount for staff and uniform was good

Cons

Constant pressure to be quick but at the same time tidy up and assist customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Home Bargains with

• Home Bargains
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?