Home Bargains logo

Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

2.9
Work-life balance

Found 344 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,887 reviews

Staff are easy to get on with

The managers don’t treat everyone fairly, they all have their favourites. You can’t speak to managers about problems because they don’t actually listen to what your saying.

Pros

Contracted hours

Cons

Poor management

Shocking workplace

Worst place I have ever worked, management were shocking, they favoured certain staff and didn’t even try to hide it. Honestly the store manager is the biggest muppet I’ve ever met (Truro one). There’s a reason they go through so much staff, if you’re honestly thinking of working here, DONT.

Pros

Leaving

Not enough hours

The staff and management are all very nice, never had a problem with any of them. The work itself is not too bad although I wouldn't recommend the job for anyone who isn't fit and healthy, especially if you have back problems. My issue was not getting enough hours despite being told there was plenty of overtime. This job is more suited to a student or someone who is looking for extra cash. Think long and hard about accepting this job if you are reliant on having a regular amount of cash coming in (unless you're lucky enough to get a full-time contract) They are now handing out 8 and 12 hr contracts so check before you accept a job what contract you are being offered.

Pros

10% discount, easy going staff and management

Cons

Not enough hours

Started out good, turned very poor, very quickly.

What started out as quite a nice part time job working in the Pontefract store, turned into a job that only gives stress at a break-neck speed.As with any other Home Bargains store, as a Store Team Member you are expected when working on Fill Shift to empty a cage within the incredibly unrealistic time limit. This is an impossibility on an average cage. Everyone you work with knows this - even managers know this, but will bury their heads in the sand about it because the cage rate will affect their metrics.If you have overstock, good luck getting store management to see it as such. They care more about their metrics and bonuses than the presentation of the store, so will ram stock out onto shelves, even if it means hiding stock behind something else, resulting in a messy and untidy looking shop just to make a few more pennies, and suck up to their higher-ups.The store is always under-staffed. ALWAYS.The result of the under-staffing, is that the pressure is piled further onto those staff there are, be it through having to effectively do the job of two members of staff at the same time, or through your rota being changed without notice, in order to give you double your contracted hours, over more than your contracted days. They may like to pretend that it's optional, but due to having bred a culture of fear within the staff of bringing issues up to management, there is nothing optional about it.If management want you to do something you are not actually obligated to do, they will attempt to force you into doing it by threatening you with disciplinary action for not doing -

Pros

Camaraderie between Floor Staff

Cons

Staff treatment, Work Life Balance, Mandatory Overtime, Understaffed

Awful place to work

Management awful ! You start at 6am and they tell you when you finish ? Is that even legal ? Constantly being watched and don’t you even dare make a conversation with a colleague.I would avoid working here if possible .The staff turnaround is ridiculous here and I’m not surprised by this .

Pros

Cons

Awful place to work

It can be fun and it can be very hectic and busy, especially if short staffed, during pandemic it has at times been very stressful.

I enjoy my job, I have worked at Home Bargains for over 7 years, if u want 2 progress the opportunity is there. Management don't always communicate with all staff, and recent changes to working times don't suit everyone. I feel its a fair pay for retail work.

Pros

Making lifelong friends, luvly customers

Cons

Changes to working times

Mixed feelings

I liked the job most of the time. It's active and your never not busy. But the management have favourite members of staff, who get perks including days off accepted as requested... (the rest don't)Management also want you to perform the duties of a security guard when there are shop lifters, but for no extra pay. Even though your putting yourself at risk confronting these people.

Pros

The pay is weekly so handy.

Cons

Fast paced but enjoyable workplace

Having worked at home bargains for nearly 3 years, I can say that if you have sense, it’s an easy company to progress in. If you don’t, you’ll struggle.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Short notice scheduling

Good job but can be boring

I have enjoyed working at Home Bargains mainly because of my work colleagues as everyone gets on really well. Main jobs are usually putting stock and, tidying and working on tills. This was overall ok but can become very boring especially when its a quiet day. The hours are flexible and they worked around me as I am a student. The pay is above minimum which also helped. Management were ok, some worse than others. Id recommend this job for anyone who wants to advance, most managers at my store were store assistants originally.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Boring, sometimes difficult managers

Worst company i ever worked for

I would rather starve to death in the gutter than work for homebargains. The way they treat their staff, I've seen management bully staff into doing overtime with no notice saying that they had to stay behind for up to 4hrs if you care about your soul give them a miss.

Pros

10% discount

Cons

Poor management on all levels

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Home Bargains?

Unappreciated, rubbish hours

A few nice people worked their, the hours was good at first , then dropped off dramatically. The management are lazy & arrogant,don’t appreciate anything you do , certain staff members didn’t like you helping them , pulling a face when you was told to help them . Felt like a dogs body one day & then a spare part the next . To much favouritism, wouldn’t recommend working there unless your face fits . Parking absolutely horrendous.

Pros

Some nice people

Cons

Rubbish hours, arrogant management

Stay away from this place!

First of all I would highly recommend staying away from this place. I’ve worked in a couple of retail jobs in the past and this is by far the worst. I would just like to say that the other store assistants (the ones who wear blue) I worked with were lovely and I enjoyed working with them but that was literally the only good thing about the place.When I interviewed for the job I was told everyone had to do a bit of everything, so tills, fill shifts and rebuilds, this turned out to be untrue and it was the same people doing the same things all the time.The fill shifts are ridiculous, you are told that 45 minutes is the expected time in which to work a cage but they don’t take into account the fact you have to move stock around to get things out, 45 minutes is simply unrealistic. Management make out that it’s a chore for them to help you get stock out but if you put something in the wrong place because you’re not getting any help then they moan and lecture you. You’re not allowed any cardboard or back stock on the floor and are expected to keep them on the cage but then it’s a struggle to work your other stock. You don’t know when you’re going home so it makes it difficult to plan things and they expect you to plan your life around the shop.The tills are not adequately staffed, resulting in long queues. For a shop of it’s size (16 aisles) it’s constantly understaffed meaning the few staff who are there are having extra pressure put on them and are expected to do numerous jobs at the same time leading to a stressful working environment.Tidying at the end of the day was a -

Pros

The other store assistants were lovely

Cons

Stressful working environment, horrible management out to make people’s lives a misery, poorly run company, feel like you don’t have a life

Horrible workplace.

Senior management like to abuse their powers by doing all sorts of things, such as cigarette taking breaks while still clocked in, chat amongst themselves for a decent amount of time, accuse or frame staff for fluffed up reasons, and employing favouritism/bullying tactics.There is no chance of advancement for anyone who doesn't fit with their status quo. Forced to work at 5AM regardless of availability, with older staff's availability changed to match this without consent. Forced to take the day off as "sick" if you can't do it.Teamwork is a grave sin in their eyes, so you can't even help your colleagues if they are struggling. Constantly accused of "not following instructions" despite not being issued any.Avoid working here at all costs.

Pros

The regular staff are friendly and will get along with and help you.

Cons

Everything else. Especially the senior management.

Absolute trash

Never worked in such a awful place in my life, management is poor and treat staff like rubbish, work timetable is always a mess so you can never plan ahead, the job itself is not organised and they favour staff they like the most...not proffesional at all.

Cons

Productive, helpful and have helped me a lot

Great company pay is good if you work hard they look after you. They have online courses and before Covid we would have a yearly Christmas party. Last year we got a bonus as well cause they could not give us a party. They are a great company to work for. Covid they were brilliant and gave us all 2 weeks paid if you thought you had Covid and they did it again during all the lock downs, they really helped me. Very happy there.

Pros

You get a uniform, and they do give small bonus and you can get extra hours if you want to.

Cons

They only give small contracted hours.

Only suitable as a first time job

The management team walk all over you while expecting you to work 9+ hour shifts a day on a 30 min break. You can only get holidays if you book them at least a month in advance but even then they’re not guaranteed. You don’t get paid for taking a sick day and are expected to make up the hours you didn’t work once you come back. They don’t train new staff and expect current staff, some of which might only be there a week or two themselves, to train them fully even though we’re not qualified too. If you work here there is no work/life balance, you’re expected to be prepared to come into work at any time and to put the company before anything else in your life.

Pros

They employ almost anyone

Cons

Exhausting hours and treatment

Laughably bad

Quite possibly, the worst job I've ever had. I've worked in lots of retail companies and this is the worst one by far.Stringent targets for putting out large cages of stock (45 minutes per cage). Barely any training whatsoever.Several members of management were borderline hostile. One of them stared at you, seemingly with brimming rage and another talked down to you in a condescending manner.Being told you weren't allowed in the warehouse for no discernible reason, even though this made things more inefficient, and worse - other members of staff sauntering in to have a chat whilst you were left outside looking for a member of management to either let you in or to go in for you.Couldn't even get two minutes of time from any member of management, even for an important discussion. Having to inappropriately discuss things on the shop floor and being told to "keep to your aisle."Being contracted to 4 hours a day, five days a week with unplanned overtime every day to meet delivery targets.Being pulled up for the smallest thing within a few days of working there, including leaving a box tucked in on the side of an aisle whilst you temporarily went and helped a customer. If you go and put the said box on a cage, you'll then get told to "hurry up", assumedly because you're wasting time doing the things they have instructed you to do in the first place.Long, endless queues with not enough tills to cope with customer demand.A member of management loudly complaining in earshot of a customer that we shouldn't be blowing up balloons, despite there being equipment dedicated -

Pros

Cons

Almost everything

Hit and miss

The people really create the experience of homebargains. If you have great staff alongside you, the work can be fun. However, my experience at 2 stores shows that management lack skills. Rotas are changed last minute, so it’s hard to have a life outside of work. They’re often rude to the extent customers comment on their attitude, which is what I experienced across both stores. The shifts can be okay, however fill shift has no finishing time meaning you can be there from 4 to 10 hours in my experience. The wage is above minimum, but compared to the industry, wage is below average

Pros

10% staff discount

Cons

Poor treatment of staff, no finishing time, last minute rota change

Production

Staff were amazing the management were not. Job was ok keeping busy all day stacking shelves had to be fast on tills too. Nice people to serve as well.

Avoid!

Managers have favourites and dislike you if you aren’t their favourites. Constantly changing rules without informing you and expecting you to know. !!

Pros

Cons

Managers horrible

Hard Work, Great Colleagues.

The people make this place special and the company is fair. It is very fast paced so you need to be willing and able to learn quickly on the job and work efficiently.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement