Home Bargains
Happiness score is 43 out of 100

Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Not a great company to work for anymore. Management is poor. Staff are not cared for. Stressful environment to work in. Unfair treatment of staff.beither long shifts or really short shifts. No consistancy in the job role.
Cons
Alot
- At first, I enjoyed working here, the staff members were lovely and caring and I was payed above minimum wage (roughly ÂŁ1.50 more). The management were generally quite nice and caring and the work environment was very fun, with other young people working on the weekend. They used to be quite flexible and would let you swap shifts and book holidays 4 weeks in advance as well as taking on extra shifts easily or getting someone to cover for you. However, they recently have rejected 3 in a row of my holiday claims while allowing others and don't allow shift swaps at times.- however, I have noticed they have a high turnover, this is probably due to the shift pattern rarely changing and taking to close the store can be up to 3 hours, the average time I would take to close the store was 1h 30 minutes, worse if it was in Christmas. They dumped these long close shifts on the same people for months and I often ended up doing a lot more than my hours. Some of the management have also been fickle on their treatment of employees, with them recently being rude and even customers noticing this.
Pros
Working culture, 10% discount, decent pay, can be flexible
Cons
Mundane shifts, long closes, often doing more than contracted hours
Excellent place to work for they aways cater for your needs ie shift patterns etc im enjoying it Also great team always there to help you incase you get stuck Only problem is the manager sometimes rude and unsupportive
Pros
Good pay and hours to suit
Cons
I have been working for them for a year now and I like it. The only thing I don't like is that we have to work weekends. But the team and my manager are great and I am really happy.
Other employees seemed nice but have never experienced senior managers like it. Never introduced themselves to new starters however belittled and shouted at us on the shop floor to the point some were in tears behind their masks, expected to know everything about the shop in terms of shifts patterns without it being fully explained. Has damaged my self esteem immensely, given me anxiety and has affected my ability to look and apply for other jobs. You aren't allowed to leave until all of the work is done that day, which means you always work over what you are contracted to work that day, even if it means doing an 8 hour shift but only being told you are doing a 4 hour shift. Has taken me over a year to come to terms with shocking experience and as a result i don't purchase anything from the company anymore. Please approach with caution.
Cons
Poor management who refuse to actually do any work. If you're not one of the favourites then you get treated like dirt. Shifts changed at short notice, treated like dirt if you need time off. I would definitely not reccomend working for home bargains, they don't care about their staff
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Everything else
Terrible management and no support while I worked there or understanding for any issues faced inside or outside of work. Would never go back to working there.
Worked in the Prestatyn store good management and helpful staff would recommend.really enjoyed working here and would work for them in future. Nice costumers.
Pros
Easy going and fun management
Cons
Not many
I absolutely loved working for Home Bargains, staff are well looked after and everyone is a team, managers are very involved and help with the work load.
Pros
Paid holidays, real team work
Cons
You can only use your 10% off staff discount in the store you work in.
Bad management, Constantly having to rush else you get told off, Pay was ok, paid weekly.Management are constantly sat in the office on there phones (not work related) They never offer to help out.
Pros
Paid weekly, Staff discount straight away
Cons
Management treat staff poorly, More stress than its worth
I worked here for a year. When the company needs you, you’ll get more hours (even more than you actually want) but when they don’t, they will ignore your request. Managers don’t care about you. It’s all about getting as much done, no matter if you’re on 3 or 11 hours shift and that’s when you start feeling exhausted and ill. I felt terribly underpaid and my life was a chaos because the shift here are terrible and unpredictable.
Cons
I worked here for more than a year and hated it at the end. It was such a simple job but the management made it longer and created a stressful environment. They never cared about when I would have my break, I would have to ask for my break all the time and would not get it at the time I was orginally told. Some of the management at Home Bargains think they are above it all. There were clear favouritisms at the store I worked in and there were people engaging in certain so called "against the rules" activities that were looked away at, but there were certain people that had been called aside on these issues which was unjust. The store manager singled out alot of individuals and should honestly change his attitude.
When I worked at home bargains, the managers thought they were better than everyone else they never asked How are you all they said was do this do that! Furthermore, they gave you different hours every week it was not consistent one week you had 4 pm to 8 pm the next week you had 11:30am to 7:15 pm.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Rude managers and inconsistent hours
This job is only useful if your a student or near retirement. No career can be made from this job. Management is poor and will put pressure on you with talking down to you and letting you know you are only as good as your part time contract. You can take overtime because they need you but thier is simply no appreciation as it gives them more of an opportunity to harrass you while your doing your best. After reading other reviews i am glad its not just me. This company needs to look at the way staff are treated and that for working adults like myself a part time contract doesnt even cover rent. Will be looking to join a better company once the pandemic is over.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Managers
Learned quickly that if you weren't in with the Manager then none of the Lead Sales would support you either. Extremely two faced back stabbing culture which verged on bullying. High turnover of staff due to this. If you were not one of the sheep you continually got the worst hours on the rota.The most enjoyable part of the job was receiving the wage and clocking off. Have worked in retail before but this store has dented my confidence and put me right off applying for retail positions again.
Pros
Not much really
Cons
Ever changing rota
Was not given enough hours. Mangers dropped me from 16 hours a week to just 4 hours a week but environment overall was alright,wouldn't say irs the best .
Pros
Easy walking distance
Cons
Money was rubbish.
it’s the same repetitive day every single day, nothing changes also the management here are rude and the staff are questionable, wouldn’t recommend although i have worked in other stores within this company and they seem so much better and less tense to go into so depends on what store you work in really
Pros
easy money
Cons
pretty much everything
Working at home bargains all depends on the management. Before i applied i had heard terrible things about terrible managers who were nasty but i have to say the manager of my branch and the general management are all really nice people. I have never felt uncomfortable asking for days off or any help at all. Of course they ask that you put 100% work effort in but that is expected. They are all down to earth and really nice. A typical work day is mainly either working on tills, cleaning shelves and bringing stock forward or opening boxes and stocking shelves. Occasionally the manager may ask you to rearrange a shelf or aisle with them but very rarely. All my co-workers are also down to earth and even though i barely know any of them you can chat with them and they are great. The hardest part of the job is the fill shift as even though it is a 4 hour shift by default it can last upto 6 or 7 hours depending on how lazy the other staff on shift are. Personally i love being on the tills because its very easy and i hate opening boxes all the time.
Pros
10% discount, good management
Cons
Your back aches from standing up for long shifts, no chair at the tills
Really enjoy working at home bargains. Everyone is really nice , always kept busy. Good rate of pay also.Staff are very helpfull and nothing is to much bother for them.
This company is an awful company to work for. The hours are horrendous and your expected to work miracles in such little time. Your treated like rubbish and are never listened to. I would never work for this company again. Senior managers are lazy and can’t be bothered to do anything themselves.
Worked in Banbridge store only there for 3months as MANAGEMENT was rude,abusive and just plain nasty, when I applied I clearly stated I have austism and couldn't deal with being on tills and was forced to use tills or leave and tried to pay for holiday and was told no even though was for funerel, just very unhappy exspeirience, staff were nice though and one of the like 10 mangers was decent
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Management, hours