Home Bargains logo

Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Sales Lead

2.9
Work-life balance

Found 70 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,887 reviews

Good place to work to gain experience and move on.

Management decisions are questionable as I've been told many times by a well seen and known manager "doesn't matter what you know but who you know". Work responsibilities and tasks are changing, shifts are never the same time, weekends off are a luxury and life balance is affected by it. Now.. if you are lucky and your face fit to the place, you might get somewhere with the company but if not, no need to stay. If you don't want progression but you are a hard worker that just want to do their job and go home, can be a good place to work.. even so, you might hear that you didn't work fast enough even if you tried your best. In management, prepare yourself to run tills,starbuys filling and chillers worked in the same time.. and to be told that you still don't know to prioritise or to understand the company's vision. I am not sorry for working there for almost 4 years, I gained experience and made good friends. What I am sorry for is that I put my hopes up thinking that hard work, reliability and dedication is appreciated and I would be able to progress. They do not value this. They probably have values that I was not able to find.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Long hours, all over the place rota, not enough staff, discrimination, no value for confidentiality, bad higher management

Productive and teamplayers

The company management need to be more praising of their members of staff and offer bonuses. The company should acknowledge and be more supportive of holiday and leave requirements.

Pros

Short shifts

Cons

Working here has been the biggest waste of 3 years.

Home Bargains consistently fails to provide you with even the basic human rights that you are entitled to for simply being alive.I have spent three years slaving away in this company as a Lead Sales (a fancy title which basically means absolutely nothing) for approximately 10p more an hour than sales assistants.Every single job you are given to do is effectively meaningless, pointless and a giant waste of time. Every single time you spent hours merchandising areas of the store, another manager will often (in the same day) be told to move that section to another area of the store. Thus making your entire shift pointless and a waste.Your entire point of existence as a Lead Sales is to promote sales, yet you are expected to follow a planagram for the "Starbuy" section of the store that often goes against your job role and makes you display stock that doesn't sell, but the warehouse has too much of it. So it "HAS" to go on starbuy.The company will constantly pay you for holidays that you HAVE NOT taken, making it impossible for you to book actual holidays. It will consistently FORGET to pay you, leaving you without money. And if you ring head office about any issue, they will allow the phone to ring for almost an hour before they bother to pick up.Senior managers spend all shift on their phones talking about fantasy football leagues, showing each other baby photos, or spending hours (not an exaggeration) walking around the shop ignoring staff and customers to talk to their mum, or cousin, or brother, or neighbour. When senior managers aren't wasting their own time, they -

Pros

What are Pros?

Cons

Everything.

Avoid at all costs

No respect for employees. Managers dont care about employee's outside commitments or health and wellbeing. Often left without a break. Constantly trying to con people into being a lead sales which is sold as entry level management position when really it's a store assistant that is also expected to run around after store assistants for management queries to save actual management having to do that. Instead they stand around between the warehouse and shop floor giving out cages (which anyone could do), moving stock and making pretty displays (again anyone could do), and checking off lists.

Pros

Cons

Never finish on time, don't always get breaks, no care for staff

Fast Paced Work Environment

Home bargains is a fantastic place to work if you're looking for a job to keep you on your feet at all times. Management here can be a bit of a hit or miss and they are not afraid to tell you when you're doing something wrong however very rarely will you be praised.

No thanks

Reasonable company to work for. Fairly treated. Very accomodating where necessary. Good training nice bunch of people to work with. Treated every one equally

Personally it’s not worth it unless desperate.

This job is not made for those who want a work/life balance. The management is very harsh and contradicting in this environments. The job it’s self was no issue, at times it could be fun, but don’t expect management to let the fun last long

Stressful

staff treated poorly by higher ups and expected to complete tasks at unreasonable times, pay is not worth the stress for management. Would not advise anyone with mental health issues to work at the job, only perk is being paid weekly.

Okay

As a lead sales you do everything no help and can be stressful if in retail park your hours are early and late they put on lead sales in at a time to do till calls chillers , star buys and everything else

Good company if you have a good manager

I started with a good manager in place. Dozens of cig breaks took place between senior staff but the job got done. We now have a manger who obsesses over walking around taking calls and photos. Micro managing everything. He spends more time eating breakfast and lunch than running the shift

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Home Bargains?

A good idea of working for the team not the company

There is little company structure that is shared across the stores and each manager sets his own standards. It is a good team orientated work place, however, as it is a bargain store you must be prepared for the customers who are not always pleasant. Home bargains will give you a fundamental knowledge of retail however it is not a career based job. More of a stepping stone for something better.

Horrible work enviroment

Not a good environment to work in, staff are overworked and belittled. Certain staff are expected to do more work than others. Not a job that you want to stay in for long.

Free!

I was a manager at the falkirk store and for years the management have been inexperienced and weak at dealing with problems. Terrible shop don’t go to falkirk as it’s depressing and like a prison and the managers can’t run a shop to save them selfs.

Managers

Being a manager a little while ago the professional look on the shop was terrible. The way the manager and others deal with situations is immature and weak. The staff and lead sales are nothing to the managers. Avoid as it’s not a good shop. I head other shops ain’t as bad but the Falkirk store isn’t good. If you do something good it’s ignored but if you make a mistake then you are terrible

overall

Home Bargains was my first job then got promoted to Lead Sales. the work hours can be very long and expect over time. you dont get any time out of the workplace as you are required to use a whatsapp group which you have to use on your personal phone. be prepared to work every weekend and long hours for a stocktake day. management were great within the store however high management are not so nice. it is good for experience and most staff are friendly.

Pros

experience

Awful

Easier to list: No support from management Unbelievably low pay for the roles and responsibilities given to lead sales Happy to let senior managers bully their way in to new positions Very out dated systems Made to clock out for breaks but keep working through them Mandatory whatsapp groups that go off constantly, day off or not Encouraged to ‘shame’ other managers mistakes in above mentioned WhatsApp groups So many more issues at store and company level but these are some of the more serious/pressing issues encountered. Avoid this company at all costs. The only perk to this job is a 10% discount.

Pros

10% dispcunt

Cons

Everything else

Interesting workplace

Never boring as I have many different responsibilities. I have made some good friends and meet some very interesting people as well as gaining valuable skills. Great opportunities for career progression if that's what you want.

Pros

Great products and 10% discount.

Cons

20 hour contract

poorly managed

My time at home bargains started off exciting and fun but then due to poor management and staff being favorited certain staff members. Slowly more and more staff left and handed in there notice as did i.

Cons

poor management

Truly awful place to work

Management at all levels of the business are poor and ineffective, and prefer to promote staff who brown nose over those who deserve promotions and work hard at what they do. Complaints against bullying are actively discouraged - staff who ask to put a complaint in are told not to bother because nothing will be done, and nothing ever is done. In my own store, we were forced to put food on the shelves that had been contaminated by dead mice and mouse droppings, because management knew the company would face consequences if it was reported. We were told that if we refused to do so or if we told anyone about it, then we would face disciplinary action, and I was forced to anonymously report it to health and safety and food standards agencies.

fun

my typical day at work consists of some times in charge of opening and closing the shop so that means being responsible for the shop and safe keys. I do a lot of cash handling such as floating the tills in the morning and cashing up on an evening also being in charge of the till staff making sure everything runs smoothly and efficiently. I help rebuild the shop when new ranges come in using space management to create exciting stock displays that lead to high sales, I also help with the general running of the store keeping on top of loss prevention by communicating well with one another via radio which results in preventing shop lifters from leaving the store with unpaid stock.

Pros

like a family

Cons

not enough hours

Good, depending on other staff

Standard retail environment, and was good till a change of managers. New managers admonished staff on shop floor and regularly used foul language. Area manager approached regrding concerns, but ultimately ignored. Sometimes expected to stay as late as 10-11pm to unload deliveries, but that was due to warehouse failure. Only good thing was discount, as you could do most of your weekly shop there, with 10% discount.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Poor and lazy senior management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement