Home Instead

Home Instead Employee Reviews

This has been my first job in the care industry. It is a lot harder than I thought it would be but very rewarding. The in-house training at Home Instead is good and I've taken the first level of my Care Certificate. My day consists of visiting clients in their homes, I love hearing about their stories and memories from the past. The best thing is seeing the smile on their face when you greet them, the worse thing is when you lose someone. It can be very emotional. The office staff are great and will always help if you have any problems, but they are busy and sometimes there are blips in communication when you can't get hold of someone or a message isn't passed on. It can be stressful at times but the pros outweigh the cons.
Pros
Lovely clients
Cons
Pay is ok but could be a bit better
This company made me ill. I ended up in hospital with stress and anxiety. They did not care either and deducted so much from my last salary that they didn’t pay me for in the first place. I was so happy not to be working there anymore I didn’t question it.If you value your sanity and mental health DO NOT work here.
Pros
Cons
Owners of Franchise were obnoxious and had no idea
The reason I left home instead is because the work/life balance is awful. You are expected to work 16 hours a day 7 days a week which is completely unrealistic. Time between clients ridiculous, either not enough time for travel or too much time to go home so end up hanging around all the time.For eg this is a day of work. 7am-10am client 1 (20 miles away from home) 12pm-1pm client 2 (same street as you live) 1.10pm-2.10pm client 3 (18 miles away from home) 3.30pm-3.30pm client 4 (25 miles away from your home)5pm-8pm client 5 (same village as client 4)8.30pm-10.30pm client 6 ( 3 doors down from client 5)They expect you to give your life to the place and have no home life often given more hours on the same day without asking first. If you say no ever your given no hours then next month as punishment. However it is Decent pay, but very hard and stressful always getting complaints due to clients paying ÂŁ30 an hour and staff being paid ÂŁ10. Clients upset me when told the reason their fave carer is not here is because they have corona virus in hospital by office staff when you actually just have a dentist appointment. Not paid petrol properly or in between clients if more than 59 mins.Expected to do a lot of stuff in your own time
Pros
Lovely clients and making strong relationships
Cons
Long hours, tiring, people very poorly etx
Home Instead Senior Care Epsom & MV are about the best company I have worked for in terms of the culture and attitude to both staff & clients. They genuinely care & work hard to find the best situation/outcome for all. They are always keen to find clients that match your personality & are as flexible as they are able to be with regards to working hours. Management acknowledge good work & are always prepared to listen to any concerns. The office team are also incredibly supportive.
Pros
Incredibly rewarding job supported by a great management & office team
Cons
The nature of the job means that you will have to come to terms with losing clients. Never easy.
Home INstead Dudley treat all their CAREGivers with the upmost respect and they understand my need to work around my family. The training is first class and all office staff are engaged and suppoprtive.
Pros
Paid travel Time, paid waiting time, flexible, supportive, good selection of on going training, good communication between all staff.
Cons
loosing clients that you've built a relationship
25 April 2021
Thank you for your review of this Home Instead franchise office. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience with this office and thank you for your service.
My time here was enjoyable, primarily because of the clients and their supportive families. I didn’t enjoy being in the office because I felt that the staff were waiting for you to make a mistake. Then I was bullied and criticised to the point I was upset every time I went home. I would never have gone there if I’d known it would be so toxic an environment.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Poor management and frequent reviews
25 April 2021
Thank you for your review of this Home Instead franchise office. Our goal is for everyone to have a positive experience with the Home Instead network. Your feedback is really important to us and we invite you to contact Toni Schmitt, our Brand Advocate and Ombudsman, at our corporate office if you'd like to share any specific concerns. You can reach Toni at 888-484-5759. Thank you.
I have worked just over a year with home s teas and what a year it’s been never have I ever been so happy the office staff are amazing always there to advise help and support we are like one bog family and my clients are amazing it’s such a rewarding job helping and caring for my clients on a daily basis I can’t see myself working anywhere else than home instead
Pros
Achieving so many thing with the support of the office staff
Cons
No cons
I have recently started working at Home Instead Swansea, and it's already clear what a great company it is to work for. The recruitment process was super friendly and I was put at ease straight away. Not daunting in the slightest! The ethos of Home Instead is clear in everything they do, as everyone is clearly passionate about providing high-quality care in a tailored and personal way. There are clear bonds between the staff here and their clients, and you can tell that by listening into the calls between them, as it genuinely feels like they are chatting with friends. The staff really do care about the clients and go above and beyond to put a smile on their faces. Home Instead Swansea feels like a big family, clients included, and it's such a pleasure to be part of!
Pros
Everyone is so nice and friendly!
Being sent miles away from home is fine but no mileage is offered so driving 40 miles for £20 isn’t my idea of work. You only get paid for fuel in between clients but when you are given 2, one in the morning and one in the afternoon and they are 10 miles away it doesn’t become a viable job. I absolutely loved the work but the routing of the work was ridiculous, you should at least get mileage from the office to your clients home. Other companies do this.
Pros
Can’t think of any
Cons
Too much travel
The caregiver that work for the company are lovely and extremely helpful. The office staff however, I find are unhelpful and it is very much a favouritism culture. If the office staff are pals with you, they work with you to give you the hours you want. If not you are given rubbish hours and they are very inflexible with you. The pay is rubbish, definitely do not earn enough for what is expected of us.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Pay, Management
Because caregivers are matched to clients you enjoy visiting the same clients each week and no rushing in and out of calls as you have a minimum of 1 hour with clients. Clients become like friends and you genuinely get to see what difference you are making to their lives.The training, mentoring and support is fantastic, you feel prepared and confident to do the job well.The job satisfaction is so rewarding, you're work is recognised and rewarded and more importantly you are so well looked after, the wellbeing of staff is as mprtant as the wellbeing of clients.
Pros
Rewards, recognitions, referral bonuses, staff discounts and events and activities to attend.
Cons
None really apart from you need a car or access to a vehicle to be able to work, but the good thing is, if you are a driver you are paid for both your travel time and mileage.
25 April 2021
We’re glad to hear of your satisfaction working with the Home Instead network. Thank you for the great review and for taking the time to leave your thoughts for others – we appreciate it!
Working as a Caregiver for Home Instead is a very fulfilling role. Helping clients with day-to-day tasks in their own home is very rewarding as you not only help them but you also build working relationships.Your hours are suited to your availability as are the areas in which you work.There are on-going learning and development courses that can be completed online, some of which are mandatory in this role.Any problems or concerns you may have will be dealt with quickly and professionally by management who are very friendly and approachable.
Pros
Good management support, excellent learning and development opportunities, higher rate of pay than most other care companies, good work/life balance.
Cons
Only receiving your rota on a Thursday for the following week.
25 April 2021
This is a dreadful place to work. The management have no idea about how to run a business and have basically bought into a franchise. The training materials are american and not relevant, the “trainers” are current employees that are paid a pittance. I wouldnt recommend working here, they put everyone on a zero hour contact and employ lots of staff and mess them about with shifts and chop and change. The office staff are rude, the “safeguarding” lead has the worst people skills ive ever known in my life. You will not progress in this company as your face has to fit and the “owners” only care about how much money they can charge the clients, its appalling!
Pros
Placed with clients locally
Cons
Poor pay, no hours, poor management
Home Instead is a great starter job. It is very flexible and has a very supportive staff and CEO. Sometimes the hours may not be enough but it is based on your availability and if you are the best fit for a client.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
short notice
HomeInstead Abergele was a lovely company to work for when I first started with them, but a change of management made it impossible to work there, the management team lack sympathy, passion and are uninterested in the client's needs or what they want. They regularly change a clients time or send new caregivers in which upsets the client and their families and it's the caregiver whose left to deal with it, as the office staff are uninterested and unorganised. As this is a company that built itself up looking after clients with dementia I think the Abergele branch lacks the ethos with which the homeinstead franchise prides itself on, the caregivers are good, hardworking and genuinely care for their clients, it's a shame the office staff don't.
Cons
Long hours, sent to areas miles away and unhelpful office staff
I have never been so disappointed with an employer. Extremely poor management do not CARE about staff or clients needs. It's all about the money. No support from the management, poor communication, poor planning and very under staffed putting unnecessary pressure on teams. High staff turnover for a reason. Insufficient PPE provided when entering homes of those displaying C19 symptons, risks being taken, government guidance Not being followed.
Pros
Clients
Cons
This company have no care or compassion , they are dignified to a few choice workers but if you dare to have an opinion you are an outcast, very very stressful and culture is one which is not collaborative working
Pros
Cons
Changing hours at the last minute, no compassion or care, do not listen and do not follow through
30 March 2021
Applied for this job as always something that i wanted. Very welcoming , great training . Made to feel like part of the family . Shadowed for 4 days . Carers were lovely although was not hands on so jyst watched and memorised . Started out on my own the second week. Tried to stay confident although completely new to this so knew i would need support. From the beginning of being on my own things changed . Office staff became blunt to the extreme that the emails that i was receiving made me feel even more so inadequate and certainly did not make me feel that i could contact them with any problems. Was told that i was meet a new client so arrived to get a very blunt phone call from office staff to wait until another carer arrived to introduce us. Brilliant although the client was expecting me at 2.30 and i did not recieve the call untill a few minutes before . I waited outside if the property for 25 mins , no hello just a grunt , was taken to client a few words exchanged and then was left still no acknowledgment . Numerous emails to collect covid home test , asked for the organised number to enable me to send these off 4 times , didnt get it . Came to the conclusion that the ofgice staff did not like me and i did fit in and do i decided to quit . Angry frustrated and very puzzled as to why someone who cares greatly and puts everything into what they care about , be treated with no compassion and respect . Sort the office staff and this would be a wonderfull company to work for , such a shame to put all of your heart and effort and tears into a job and then have to resort in leaving - more...
Pros
Helping the elderly
Cons
Not being appreciated.
30 March 2021
Thank you for your review of this Home Instead franchise office. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience with this office and to give your advice to management. If you would like to discuss your experience with this office, please feel free to contact Toni Schmitt, our Brand Advocate and Ombudsman, at 888-484-5759.
When I first joined they were aware that I had no care experience and wasn't confident, they put me on all shifts by myself and I was told not to read the care plan and just get on with it. The training was inadequate, all of it was common sense and only lasted a couple days. So when I was put on shift K really struggled. When I told management that I wanted to shadow some shifts they told me they wouldn't do that.
Pros
Cons
No support, bad training
12 March 2021
The job itself is extremely rewarding. The clients are lovely as are the other caregivers. This company is let down by its management. They are rude, incompetent, malicious and selfish. Their only interest is making money and manipulating the workforce into robots.
Pros
Fair pay
Cons
Extremely stressful
Completely training but company had little communication. Waited 3 months! To start. Heard nothing. Had contract In place. Absolutely zero communication. Could have found another job but went without wages for 3 months because I was waiting for this company! No thought to affects on my life or mental health. Absolutely would not recommend
  1. Employee reviews