Home Office
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Home Office Employee Reviews

United Kingdom225 reviews

immigrationorganisationcolleaguebordercivilprogressionroletarget

Good work life balance but some lower grade roles are stressful

Some roles at AO and EO level can be stressful. Productivity isn't always great. Very frustrating levels of bureaucracy and everything takes way longer than it would in the private sector. Some great staff amd managers but also some very lazy employees and inexperienced bad managers. EO Decision makers are paid so much less than they should be considering the amount of work and stress in the role. No pay rise in over 10 years.However, the work life balance is good. Flexi time and casual dress code are good perks to have.

Pros

Flexi time, good work life balance, relaxed dress code, potential for home working

Cons

Too much beraucracy. Lack of training in some roles. Lazy staff

Good, steady job

Flexible working, interesting work, job security but pay is not particularly great. There can be an atmosphere of cynicism and lethargy. Generally a good place to work.

Insights into Home Office

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Job security and flexible working

At the lower end, teams work to unachievable deadlines with harassed managers and staff trying to get twelve hours work out of an eight hour day. Sick leave and stress issues are prevalent, and upper management rides blithely over the top making noises about progress and staff wellbeing but achieving little.

Horrible place to work

I worked there for just over 2 years dragged us all back in after COVID after working from home for literally 1 and a half years no easeing us in just get back in I had trouble adjusting started having panic attacks at work and they fired me no mercy at all no understanding just straight brutally droped me like a bag of rocks after two years of loyal service don't do it the management are like robots the whole work force will soon be temps from agency's

Pros

Cons

Long hours expect you to act like robots no sympathy or understanding

Learning a lot and feeling appreciated, great team to work for, Travel Documents Section

Love working here, best part is working from home which gives flexibility. Great support from colleagues, very understanding and offer additional training and support. Always learning on the job.

Best place to work, extremely nice team and best people I ever met . People are extremely professional. They are very helpful and there is great emphasis on team work.

Some really interesting aspects to the job but don't expect to be considered

Some really interesting and could enjoyable roles under home office but your work / home life is continually disregarded. Basic salary at AO, EO And HO grades are per poor for the work done. Shift allowance helps but you work the worst hours for it and again this is changed constantly

Its goood for security but depends who your manager is. Some are micro managers and some are chilled. So its a lottery. Be careful what you say

Salary isnt good. But the pension and the flexibility is what makes it worthwhile. Its a good place for stability but job advancement is about knowing the right people and if your face fits

Pros

Flexibility. Long lunches.

Cons

Micro management. Training isnt good.

Work life balance can be good but progress is limited

I want to be balanced. It is a very interesting area of work whereby you can make a real meaningful impact if in the right area. Often processes are too inefficient. People are resistant to change. Salary is poor and the culture does not promote progression but its a case of who you know.

Pros

Flexible working can be a benefit.

Big mistake moving to Asylum as an EO

Asylum is a terrible dept to be an EO in . You are expected to be competent with everything skimmed across at Training Academy and the time at The Academy been reduced substantially .Team leaders dont even know what was covered in the training but youre expected to know everything anyway. Fear culture not safe to say you didnt quite get something ! Training was remote. Lots of admin and checks too scared to ask for help . Get reminded this is a management grade you should have the skills after a handful of days in the office.You lose your confidence and who you are as a person. Begrudged support and being micromanaged doesnt effectively help me perform.

Pros

Flexible working available

Cons

Not a supportive culture luck of the draw with management

Flexible working good work life balance, jobs can be repetitive but lots of room for progression. Managers are a mixed bag some nice some not so nice. Hybrid working is beneficial

Pros

Flexi time

They say they care about mental health however this isn’t true

Overall working at the Home Office is interesting however too many bullies and diversity has too much focus and not enough focus on existing employees and ensuring right fit for the team.

Pros

Interesting subjects

Cons

Long hours. Poor management. Back to back video calls without breaks.

Great starter job

The HO is a great place to work if you want to expand your knowledge base and get training in a variety of topics. You get as much as you put in. Good work/life balance and they are keen to look after their employees. A lot of support is available. Sometimes it's organised chaos. Salary is definitely not commensurate with level of responsibility though.

Pros

Fairly flexible working, good level of support from management, a lot of training offered.

Cons

Steep learning curve at times, having to meet targets and deadlines, salary is low for what you do.

Highly unorganised, old fashioned and not open to change

I think the home office needs to modernise all of its technology, management styles and policies. There is a huge amount of time wasting and disorganisation that results in either no work to do or too much work to do. Alot of the work is pointless as a computer could do it better and more accurately, it doesn't help provide a quality service and time would be better spent making changes to the tasks and systems. For a process based job there is no training manual and that results in constant stress, over working and miscommunication. Other teams might be better but it depends where you work. I wouldn't recommend working here if you are used to efficiency or modern technology.

Pros

Leaving and regaining your mental health

Cons

Applying and waiting a year to start the job

Employees can progress up to the level they want.

It is a pleasure to work for the Home Office, to learn new skills, work for a reputed firm, good pensions etc. Highly recommended my friends and relatives to apply for positions here.

Pros

Good Team working

Cons

Slightly congested seating arrangements

Stifling and frustrating

Office based - Agency workersTurn up, switch on get on with work more than hitting rigid targets while being aware of established staff wandering about, playing games on/using mobile phones. Once every 6 weeks recruitment consultant wanders in for a meeting to castigate agency workers for doing above.Learned that established staff are lazy.Extremely poor management, give no effective training, management have no experience of implementing or facilitating major projects and no interest either. Established staff have no work ethic, over promotion of family and friends, nepotism is rife. Management constantly on sick leave.

Pros

5pm leaving work

Cons

9am arriving at work

Awfully organised and poorly managed

From the moment I applied through to working ten months of an apprenticeship, the organisation was woeful. I had no actual work for the first two months, then completely isolated in a placement totally unsuitable for an apprentice, whilst being ‘managed’ by three different managers. I moved placement, upon request, to a team that had no idea what my job/apprenticeship requires, to then be told at my six months that I was being put on a disciplinary for not reaching the standard of work required…even though I’d barely been given any work, let alone trained how to do the any of the handful of tasks thrown my way. I resigned before they fired me for their own incompetence in running an apprenticeship. Upon leaving I learned that only three out of twenty-five apprentices from the previous year actually completed their apprenticeship. This could be a great opportunity for someone, if only they knew how to manage people and run and resource an apprenticeship scheme.

Pros

Pay was reasonable

Cons

Poor management and organisation of apprenticeship, Most people struggle to have any informal conversation

Theres some great staff but you wouldn't trust the management as far as you could throw them.

Management make the job unbearable at times. Its a real shame because there are so many great people at the basic admin levels, but it seems that once people get into the management positions they lose the ability to just be a decent human being. The whole culture there is one of cliques, corruption and abusing power. Too many people are in management positions because they have the ability to bully young staff into producing higher stats, rather than because they're actually good at their job. As a colleague once said to me, about 80% of the management in the Home Office would be sacked if they worked for a company in the private sector. That just about sums it up. If you're prepare to keep your head down and ignore the world of wrong that goes on with management then it can be a decent job, because most of the admin assistants and officers are such great people.

Pros

Flexi leave. Low level staff make the job worthwhile as there are many good people.

Cons

Awful culture there. Management are very poor.

Good place poor management

Mates rates apply to this place, terrible middle management and upper management not helpful, spiteful and vindictive would be a more appropriate description

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Poor management

Fulfilling helping the most vulnerable groups of UK society

Challenging working in a fast paced government environment not having access to all the relevant tools especially when having to react to changes inPolicy and legislation

Pros

Flexible working

Fascinating work!

Really interesting work and most high profile work I have been involved with. There is a purpose to the work which sadly gets lost sometimes with poor management and the political will of the government of the day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Office. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement