Hopwood Hall College

Hopwood Hall College Employee Reviews

Friendly and supportive 1-1 support for learners with additional behaviour /mental health needs to reach their full potential and reach smart targets. A fun place to work with young talented people.
On the whole, Hopwood Hall College only cares about enrolment numbers and the money that they can claim for students. In the Construction trades, the actual quality of teaching to successfully teach students is an afterthought. Trying to teach a trade to most of these students is a complete waste of time and effort as virtually none want to or will continue into employment in this area. Some workshops are an embarrassment to work in. It's a make do culture as there's no money spent on the right areas. Unless you're friendly with the right people or considered worthy enough, if you're a member of staff looking for some back up or support then it's either non-existent or just a box ticking exercise if enough of a complaint is made. The whole management structure need to seriously question themselves if they fully believe that they're worthy of the "Outstanding" from Ofsted that they so desperately crave. The place is a complete mess and poorly run from the top down. Executives NEED to want to know and accept the actual truth of the situation and just don't rely on questionnaires or Director's/Manager's telling them what goes on. Most students have zero interest or no idea what they're supposed to be learning and Managers try to lay blame on other staff. Most teaching staff are overworked, end up uninterested and fed up with the stupid rules that MUST be followed however stupid and MUST go along with keeping unsuitable students that simply aren't interested in their course as there's no other place for them. There's big problems and no flexibility to sort them out. HR and Management - more...
Pros
Some colleagues & students. It's also a wage until something better comes along.
Cons
HR are a nightmare to deal with, Poor Management, Unprofessional staff, Crazy ideas on how to deal with Mental Health & Wellbeing, Poor and expensive food.
The working or teaching environment at Hopwood Hall College is not the best. Lecturers are overworked, undervalued and inundated with some crazy rules and practices from upon high that must be adhered to. Most students can be very difficult most of the time as they're uninterested and not all bothered about what they're supposed to be learning. Management or Student Support won't allow the bad ones to leave, as the college need the numbers. You end up feeling sorry for the good students who actually do want to learn but you can't do anything about the toxic environment that's created. Most workshops have limited resources and equipment. Classrooms have faulty & very slow computer equipment. Nothing ever changes, just the same empty words from management. Staff, you get some tutors who are lazy, uninterested and pass the buck. Some that shouldn't be in the job with young adults. There's some good hardworking people, but even they want to or have already left the place. It's the management that's the real problem. Whether it's Programme Managers, Directors or the Executives. There lies the problem. You do hear gossip about staff that is concerning at times, but what does the management do? - nothing. Depending on the environment, you'll also be faced with some misogyny and sexist remarks that won't be treated seriously. Slap on the wrist. The place needs a complete overhaul with executives and management facing the tough questions about what actually happens and not the sugar coated stuff what they're told. Oppressive and a terrible management culture. A sad and insecure - more...
The Tec Centre houses some of the most inappropriate and unprofessional members of staff you'll find, whether it's Managers, Lecturers, Technicians or support staff. The atmosphere, ethics or conversations about students in the staff room is atrocious. Safeguarding issues are a real concern from some staff towards students. Senior Management and Programme Managers show off their poor management skills and if you have an issue, they simply don’t do much about it and will go out of their way to hide any problems from the senior executives. The teaching is badly organised with limited resources, faulty equipment and poor leadership.You have to make do. Programme managers don't look after you, as they're only bothered about enrolment numbers and not the welfare of students or staff. If Programme Managers are short on staff, then unqualified Technicians cover lessons teaching students. At the end of the college term, to get the right results from students, Lecturers are told to falsify or fudge results and the assessing is the same. If you don't like it, you're threatened with your job. Lessons are merely disorganised chaos where students are allowed to hardly show up and can do as they please in most workshops. The atmosphere in some workshops can be quite toxic where students can run riot. How can staff try to show discipline to students when management aren't even bothered. Like most members of staff, if Human Resources didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all. It's a game of survival where only HR know the rules. Violate and you'll end up being sent - more...
Pros
It's a pay check and you get to go home.
Cons
Senior executives & management are obsessed with their own image and reputation, Although the place is highly unprofessional and badly run.
Organised chaos in Health and Social Care at Rochdale Campus Limited resources in department, classrooms faulty equipment Poor leadership in areas Canteen facilities are minimal with a small selection of food available Faulty lifts Some inappropriate and unprofessionalMembers of staff members of staff
Pros
salary
Cons
Too many to mention
best place to work friendly team flexible hourgood place to develop your experience good salary good team and good management Life Balance good benefit
Students allowed to stay on the course, yet less than 40 per cent attendance. Then you are expected to do there work for them to get them through. You are threatened with your job of you don't ensure they pass and the pass rate always has to be higher than the previous year, otherwise your out the door.
I loved doing my placement in Hopwood Hall Creche. It gave me an opportunity to learn how it is to work with children. The other practitioners and the manager were so welcoming and I enjoyed all my time there.
Opportunities to develop your professional skill sets in this work environment, a small college with a culture of quality delivery. A well structured organisation with an approachable senior management team. The overall atmosphere is conjusive to excellent teaching and learning. The staff are proactive with team building and cooperation between departments is evident.
Some very dedicated teaching staff that are committed to doing their best for the students and really support each other, with good managers. Some tutors are lazy and should not be in the job. They are an embatrresment to the profession. The Principal has a big ego and his senior management team act like the Gestapoh. It’s all about performance managentment and they are consumed wirh their own self importance. A sad and insecure bunch that command loyalty and respect but rarely earn it.
Pros
Staff spur each other on and support each other.
Cons
Senior management are obsessed with image and reputation.
Brilliant learners. Every day presents new challanges excellent colleagues who are always supportive. The opportunity to change young peoples lives for the better occurs everyday.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
It was overall a fun place to work and i enjoyed the experience because I learnt new skills and developed more confidence Also I got to meet new people
Pros
Breaks and enjoyable experience
Cons
Sometimes long hours
Hopwood hall never gets boring, there is always a variety of tasks to be carried out each day. an average day at work would consist of 6 hours completing jobs and tasks and the other two spent in the workshop helping teach the next generation of construction workers leading demonstrations etc Hopwood hall has helped me turn my dreams into reality as I perused my career in construction.
Pros
short hours
Cons
non
Your day begins from 8.30-6pm due to carrying out interviews on a weekly basis. you have back to back sessions and lunch time can vary depending on your timetable. I have learnt a lot such as marking, becoming a part of standardization and becoming a course leader in a very short space of time. The staff are really helpful but due to poor management and the general environment in the staff room, it was difficult to work in an environment when the moral is low. management will throw a lot of their duties on you.
Pros
non
Cons
long hours, poor maangement
Known for its excellent facilities and successful students, the catering training by Hopwood Hall College. Has it own restaurants with real customers for students to prepare, cook, and serve.
Pros
guaranteed job placements
Cons
no cons
As an agency worker I was treated very well at Hopwood Hall Middleton. Good staff-room environment, was given own desk to work from. I would willingly work there again, if offered the chance.
Pros
Free car parking
Cons
Would have liked more teaching hours, lots of marking to do
Hopwood Hall was a very enjoyable place for me to gain work experience and meet new people along the way. I learnt how to take care of hard situations and how to satisfy peoples needs and my own. I find it easier to talk to people and communicate better.
Pros
good hours
Cons
expensive food
As a trainee hairdresser, everything is practical in the college salon which is helpful with my communications skills and learning new techniques for both the practical side and communication side.
I did my work experience here and it was really good. Taught me lots of skills and allowed me to finesse my technology knowledge. Lovely staff and great atmosphere.
Basicly I enjoy helping other people so I've enjoyed every single monent. But as I said it was a voluntary work and I didnt get paid and I Didn't get any cerrificate either because it was a section of my employability course and i had to do it to get the emplyability's certificate
Pros
Cons
Short hours
Poor management skills and badly organised. Obvious hierarchy where those at the bottom are not of any importance. The better staff are a threat to higher management and may suffer.
Pros
Cons
most things