HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN & ST ELIZABETH

HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN & ST ELIZABETH Employee Reviews

United Kingdom33 reviews

workpatientgoodtimejobhospitalmanagementdepartment

Interesting Place.

A typical day involved checking off invoices so they matched purchase orders, putting away stock, date checking, assisting the dispensary team with taking in/labelling/dispensing of inpatient/outpatient/hospice prescriptions, procurement of stock for Various Wards/UCC/OPD1 and OPD2 along with a regular procurement top up for theatre being part of the main responsibilities and resolving invoicing/billing queries which requires a bit of detective work in some cases.The immediate pharmacy team/management around me were fantastic, helpful colleagues who I was always happy to assist as I knew it was always appreciated. My only real grievances were with some of the absolutely shocking incompetence and lack of common sense some of the staff/nurses/consultants in other departments displayed, inefficiency/resistance to change in other departments in which the pharmacy team and management at times was often collateral damage and created extra stress and work for myself personally at times. There was also some rules regarding infection control which just made no sense whatsoever although these were nothing to do with the pharmacy department. The pharmacy team/management always handled these internal politics of the hospital which could give most sitcoms a run for their money with great professionalism/humour and always looked out for each other.

Pros

Employee Benefits, Staff Discount, Supportive Team

Cons

The Uniform

Toxic working environment because the management is very poor.

High rate of staff turn over because the departments are always worked to maximum limit, short staffed and unsupported. New staff members are not being trained properly and are thrown to the deep end.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Very Stressful

Insights into HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN & ST ELIZABETH

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging

Great place to grow

Really pleasant experience, can make a difference with enough hard work. Reasonable hours, opportunities to grow and nice, friendly atmosphere lots of good colleagues.

This place is just terrible

Pharmacy in particular....management are untrustworthy, gossip, back-biting, micro-managed, very high staff turn-over, expensive canteen, the list goes on....

Overwork staff. No structure or organisation. Poor management.

A department with lots of potential however poorly managed, no organisation, not much structure as well. Management is poor.Always short on staff due to the above mentioned.

Confusing management and lack of knowledge

Management want to control how to work when they are not on your shift to oversee the work or know what goes on. But then sets tasks for you to do and have you moving all around.

Pros

2 min walk from station

Cons

Older staff gets treated differently and have more say

Strange place

I worked in pharmacy, I did a job beyond job description. It was never appreciated. Certain characters would always gossip and create drama. The things I’ve seen and heard done to colleagues are truly shocking. Sadly management promote this behaviour. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone. It’s not normal.

Pros

2min walk from station

Unprofessional and toxic

Having worked in pharmacy, 17 members of staff left within 3 years. The department is unprofessional, too much favouritism, snide comments, trash talking, the list is endless, management don’t care, you are just a number, no appreciation, always short staffed because they can’t keep staff so you are always covering late duties and weekends which are 12hr shift sat and Sunday with one break at 2pm. Honestly look elsewhere, it’s just not worth it.

Pros

Cons

Everything else

Go to nhs

In my experience it was very bad management, favouritism and a toxic environment and absolutely no career progression. In the past 3 years 16 members of staff left pharmacy. Says it all really, don’t say you wasn’t warned.

Pros

Cons

Everything else

toxic protocols

Unhealthy and unprofessional conduct on all levels of the hierachy. Protocols and policies are manipluated when senior staff feel neccessary to bend the rules to suit thier individual needs.

Pros

well built building

Cons

terrible levels of morality and communication on a daily basis.

Stimulating work and open for development

Enjoyed working in this job. Great feedback. Great opportunity for professional development and excellent support. Friendly staff, like family. Governance processes in place.

Pros

Plenty of challenges

great place to work

nice people to work with and lovey environment, lots of good work and people to work with. Nice place to work. 9-5 working with teams of people collectively

The hospital is a nice place to work in

Generally working at the hospital is good. It is fast paced and at times it can be stressful. The staff although that I work with are amazing but moving forward in my career, I don't think there is room for progress.

Horrible experience.

Worked for a while. No training was provided. Demand so much for such little pay, working for a property management company would be better than this place. Supervisors legit are not willing to help you, just give you outdated leaflets to learn your job role. Honestly a tragic place to be in. Head of faculty is an amazing person overall but also completely lost when it comes to his working day life. Two weeks into the role I was told to close the department ALONE! I had no proper training, just thrown in to the deep end especially with remarks ‘oh you will be fine’ as a form of reassurance. Long shifts with only a 30 minute breaks. Regardless wether you work 6-12 hours. What a joke. Majority of the staff members around the building will rarely approach or speak to you. Pretty much left to be a lonely miserable worker. Will have you questioning what you signed up for. Honestly not worthy of place to be in or work in. Just avoid. Hospital or Hospice environment is just super clean but what lies beneath is what will make you have a different experience. With all these issues I had, I spoke up and to be honest nothing was done.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, short breaks, not worthy

Nice environment

Very nice place to work, I had learnt a lot especially for eye surgery, recovery, anaesthetic and scrub and endoscopy. I had learnt about how to assess a patient in recovery and endoscopy, how to set up for emergencies cases in eye surgery

Productive, challenging, interesting

Lovely Hospital dedicated teams, thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Quite a few upgrades to building and the services over my time there. oldest charitable Hospital in the UK.

Pros

Good restaurant for staff and visitors and is used by consultants as well.

Cons

Any Clinical operational role will involve long hours, but accepted as part of job.

Good management and in house training.

I worked with a brilliant team, the Ward Manager and nursing staff on the stroke unit. Liaising with the other departments and other hospital staff was very good and all very professional too. Everyone was so supportive and pleasant. Ample in house training was always available. I felt that I had an input in the daily running of the ward and felt valued by the team at large.

Pros

Training provided by the hospital

Cons

During a typical day at work I will be picking up calls and also helping face to face giving them directions of where they need to be. I will also do all the admin work required for that day including consultant room hire charges, updating the system with the information of patients admitted, updating the screen so that patients know which floor their consultant is on for outpatients. With this role I have learnt hands on experience with confidential information and how to deal with it. I have also learnt PIMS which is a software program which covers a lot of detail about patients and consultants. I charge the consultants via PIMS for the finance department to acknowledge and produce invoices. The managers at HJE are really good and they have been a major help to me. I have loved working with them. The workplace culture is very good as it is a catholic hospital with a chapel within the premises. The hardest part of my job is dealing with arrogant patients and trying to help them. Sometimes if they are not listening to the advice that I provide them I will ask my colleagues to help. If they don't listen to my colleagues we will take it up to a more senior level. I enjoy my job and I enjoy working in this environment. I love helping the community and doing charity.

Not a good place to work

At 1st the hospital was a wonderful place to work. As time went on there was no training at all. That leaded to a lot of pressure being piled on you and the expectation was very high. Then the management team there’s no support no structure in place your expected to get on with it regardless of having no training. Also staff are very unhappy about how this organisation is being run. The turn over of staff is unbelievable I really don’t know how this hospital runs!! If patients knew I am sure they would think twice before they book any appointments Moral with in the departments is very low.

Pros

Mon /fri

Cons

Late nights

Friendly place

I was only a voluntary worker so I don't know the benefits of a permanent employee earning a salary but my time there was enjoyable and easy. The hardest part of the job was managing the hours around my daughter as she was young and in school but the job in itself was very easy.

boring and patronising

this wasnt a nursing post, it was a glorified waitress job, making tea for consltants and running around after them. No nursing skills utilised and patroning managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN & ST ELIZABETH. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement