Howdens Joinery Co

Howdens Joinery Co Employee Reviews

Work was exactly as advertised, staff all friendly, drivers were helpful, planning was good and very helpful producing full details of delivery areas and safety advice on risks associated with all the sites, would've liked to have been kept on but covid again!
Pros
Decent tackle and pay
Cons
Non
Great place to work at 1st but then things changed and if you're face doesn't fit you will realize. The pay is great but you do alot of work for it which is fine but being happy and not around horrible people was more important to me than money.
Pros
Money
Cons
Hours in sale month / workers (depending on branch)
Working at howden is a great opportunity to improve your skills in all aspects of cabinet making and problem solving. The people on the shop floor and management are a wealth of knowledge to keep you interested and keen to learn more and give your views and ideas on how products work in real life and future developments .Have been with howdens for 10 years now as a outside contractor no pressure just great people to work with
Pros
Work well enjoy the people
Cons
Live too far away to be full time
The job is very stressful, the managers are on your back constantly to achieve targets. And then when you do achieve your targets they move the goal post and you soon realise that what ever you do it's never enough.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Unachievable targets
if ur a hard working person and enjoy going to work then howdens is the place for u, I've been with them 4 years and still love it there.It can be very stressful hitting targets and chasing work but worth it with ur bonus in the pay pack every month.
Pros
too many to list
Cons
same as any other job in the world
Bad management. No support for customer care on computer. Let none employee use computer who could get information to customer accounts. Try your best and if u question anything was told if I don't like it get out . Hr department was no good . If your a yes person u will be fine . Tonbridge branch was 100 % bet well run and customer safety was very important
Pros
Work through lunch or half the time
Cons
Bad management
As a sales rep your job it’s 80% New Business Development, with a lot of cold calling. There was a round of redundancy’s in the summer ‘20 in order to increase rep territory size, and increase job satisfaction. Has worked in some ways as you and seeing a wider variety of customers but has removed a lot of the in branch responsibilities. You spent about 7 hours plus per day by yourself in the car driving around hunting for customers. Progression from this role is tough as you would need to move into the branch in order to move up the chain. Everyone in the business seems to be scared of area managers and above
Pros
Company car, Saturdays off for reps.
Cons
Long days, very target driven, constant goalpost moving
Only sad I had to take redundancy to be closer to my family I would go back to howdens in a heartbeat as I so miss my work family and the sense of achievement I got from being successful.
Pros
Team work was more like a family
Cons
I worked at howdens for almost 6 years, it depends what depot you are at, some are brilliant, some awful.The pay isn't the best, the bonus structure is spread over everyone (even those who don't put the work in) You will be able to work up the ranks though if you're willing to stick it out I last worked at Salford and got bullied out of the company by a power mad manager, months later and upper management phone calls with me said they didn't even know I'd left which is pretty bad...There are a lot of hours, pressure and very little reward when you're not in a depot with a decent manager, it really is luck of the draw, I know I won't be going back after the way I was treated though
Pros
Work your way up
Cons
Long hours, low pay, no comunication between managers, bullies
Great place to work with the right management teamA typical day is very busy and as long as you do your job your left to get along with it yourself unfortunately, it all comes down to management and if your manager is nice then happy days. In my experience my manager was not and made my life very difficult just because he could. He was a manager and protected by his area manager so got away with whatever liked. No moral code. All about money
Pros
Great team work, customers fun
Cons
Long hours. Over time not payed, bullying culture
There are friendly management and fantastic people. Always ready to help you in everything. Free coffee and good food and cheap. Nice and clean canteen
Enthusiastic to work as designer and creating CAD models of kitchens.Engaging with customers and selling the kitchens required lot of negotiations between the customers and management. Told not taught way of working with continuous pressure of selling kitchens to customers who are not even ready to buy and would like to have visual idea of what their kitchen will look like. It's not exactly cheap to buy a kitchen and live with it if it's wrong.
Pros
Free parking and fuel expenses
Cons
Unrealistic targets
Salary and benefits are fab for the work you do but sadly this is let down by the behaviour of management which then reflects in the staff.Bullying is allowed and not addressed. Regularly swept under the carpet and ranks closed when it's brought to light.Your face definitely needs to fit.. My advice is be careful and keep your wits about you.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Old school holl behaviour
Don't listen to all the negative reviews, guessing there from the same bitter lazy person that probably wasn't pulling their weight and would rather blame everyone but their self! I'm a kitchen designer and have worked for other kitchen companies, Howdens is the best by far. I have never once been worried about my job, get a great wage, shares every year, good holidays, they are flexible if I ever need time off for family reasons. You can have a dinner hour, I often choose not to and eat at my desk. The area/regional managers have been fantastic and in all the years I've worked here never seen any bullying. Most people have worked at Howden's for decades which shows how great of a company it is.
Pros
Family environment, unlimited coffee & biscuits
Cons
5.5 days a week
Worker for Howdens for 18months, it’s horrendous how the retail customers are charged and what the fitter actually pays. There is a click within most depots and if your face doesn’t fit they get rid of you by any means. Bonuses are ok depending on sales. You can earn a lot more money working elsewhere on commission.
Pros
Time off at Christmas
Cons
Operation of business
Dealing with various types of people relaxed but result based so your under pressure nothing different to any other place. Management it’s how you do your work if you are hard working results oriented no trouble lot of work but learn to handle it can be fun.
Pros
Good working hrs & staff
Cons
It’s not for all takes time getting used to the environment
I don’t really know what to say it’s took my whole life away because how bad I got treated and another college , I don’t want bring the place a bad name but I wouldn’t recommend anyone working there.
Pros
Sometimes free lunch
Cons
High expectations with very little training Long hours low pay No respect for staff, your just a number and very clicky. Wether all depots are the same i dint know
Pros
Job Job security
Cons
Your just a number
You're over worked and under paid. You get told half hour lunch to get every other sat off but really you get about 10 min lunch if that. As again OVERWORKED AND UNDER PAID
Pros
Cons
Pay is rubbish
Good place to work,a few managers think they are God.but all in all a good place to work.all gooooodd nice people. I have had worser jobs.they pay you well for what you do and get a lot of perks.
Job is boring. Management are only focused on hitting a figure. Staff and depot managers are literally micromanaged to the penny, by the day. Depots have daily to find figures, weekly figures and monthly figures. If you're planning on buying a kitchen and know someone who works for Howdens, find out when the end of their monthly sales period is. If that depot is struggling to hit their sales target, they will literally bend over backwards to sell you a kitchen. The customer base is still written down on calling cards, like an office from the 70’s, which makes it impossible to follow GDPR correctly. If you Google Howdens, you can see how notorious they are for ripping customers off. They literally make up prices for certain customers. There’s no set prices, unless something is on offer, this leads to inconsistency and often, to complaints. No holidays are allowed in October due to the companies “sales” period. However, there isn’t actually a sale at all. In some cases, they actually put prices up. They just give away free tools to the tradesman, as a bribe to buy from them. Also, no holidays for a full week during your stock take. Hours are long. 8am to 5pm and half a day Saturday. These hours are extended during the October sale and your stock take, as you are expected to work longer hours. If you do not volunteer to work these hours, you will more than likely not be rewarded for them. Everyone is on different pay, there’s no salary banding. You have to ask for pay rises. The kitchen designers are on far more than the rest of the staff.
Pros
Pay is half decent
Cons
Aggressive target driven management
  1. Employee reviews