Howletts Wild Animal Park

Howletts Wild Animal Park Reviews: Working at Howletts Wild Animal Park

United Kingdom14 reviews

Fun workplace, Poor Management

I learnt how to deal with both difficult and easy customers, how to work in a team on a daily basis. In my senior position i learnt how to deal with management not listening to my ideas and taking them on board. The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiles on the faces of customers who had an enjoyable day the park and on Treetops

An excellent place to start a zookeeping career

I worked on the primate section for 6.5 years from trainee to senior keeper, animal welfare comes first and foremost at the park, management is a democracy rather than a dictatorship and your views and opinions will be listened to and taken into account around any subject related to the section or the wider zoo. As a keeper there is huge opportunity to learn and grow as you are encouraged to get involved with everything occurring on the section, from enclosure building to primate vaccinations and much more, you also get trained to use equipment and machinery such as strimmers and tractor trailer and more if you show an interest in it! during my time there I lived in zoo accommodation and then moved off site, you then get a 'living out allowance' which helps top up your wages to afford rent etc... I have been privileged to work with primate species not held at any other collection outside their native countries, treated with respect and the team eventually feels like a little primates family! I worked at a collection after Howletts which did not prioritize animal welfare, more profit and showmanship with animals unable to get out from under the public's nose and needless to say did not hang around for long! Overall I would definitely recommend working at Howletts as a Keeper, especially the primate section!

Pros

opportunity to learn and grow, can go to conferences, democratic, animal welfare first.

Cons

Expensive area to live around Canterbury.

Insights into Howletts Wild Animal Park

Areas for improvement
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Good

Work was good and effectively run. I learnt a lot in my role and others were happy to help. I believe they were short staffed for a while, making it a little harder for the rest of us. Animals were incredible.

Pros

Animals

Cons

Some bullying

Friendly and very Accommodating

I’ve worked at Howletts since 2016 and yes it has its ups and downs but what job dosnt, we are a big family that will look after each other. The job it self isn’t hard but when it gets busy it’s a demanding job, but that’s what catering is, I have a part time job along side that I do a minimum of 16 hours per month and the Catering Manager is very accommodating to when I need to do those shifts as long as I give plenty of notice. Downside is if you looking for a career this is probably not that job for you.

Pros

Seeing the animals, being in a great environment with amazing people

I wouldn't get my worst enemy to work there.

ok I suppose wouldn't work there again your not treated like an adult and everything that happens is all based on favouritism if your besties with the boss you get the hours and where you want to be put! there is too many people giving orders and hardly anyone doing them, you always see one or two people running round doing everything and others just stood there talking or not doing anything and the supervisors don't even care because half the the time its them that is doing it! there is never a plan for the day and no one ever knows whats going on, plus there is not enough lockers for people to put there stuff in!

Pros

Seeing the Animals

Cons

RUBBISH Hours, Not Thanked for all the work you have done, spoken to like your 5

Great place for a Summer job

I thoroughly enjoyed my job where I worked in the restaurant and kiosks throughout the park. Yes, it can be boring and repetitive and it can be challenging on busy weekends and holidays, but it's a wonderful environment to work in if you love animals. The pay if poor and it can be hard work but there is usually a good atmosphere amongst staff members and generally the team spirit is high.

Pros

The animals

Cons

Hard, repetitive work.

Not a nice place to work.

The general day consisted of the management being abusive towards the lesser experienced staff. Not a nice place to work in general. Made you feel inadequate

fun workplace

I have been enjoy the gardening in the park. Nice place to work, very nice people to work with. Only very low income . I have learned a lot about gardening in Howletts.

It can be extremely boring

A typical day at work as a catering assistant saw the whole day standing behind a till, on your feet doing nothing but scanning food. Unless you were the lucky one like me and got to make coffee.

Pros

You basically had free roam of the zoo before and after shifts

Cons

Requires no intelligence really.

Fun Workplace

Early starts to the day but an enjoyable physically demanding workplace to interact with a variety of individuals. Wide range of tasks available to interact with providing a challenging but fun experience opportunity.

Pros

Free Lunch

Cons

Long Hours

Higher management are awful

All about taking money from the customers. Dirt cheap products sold for way too expensive prices. Minimum wage and would only give you a break when they legally had too! I used to work from 10-4 without being allowed any food or drink! You would get free entry to the zoo, which was the only perk...

Pros

Staff were nice

Cons

Minimum wage, horrible management

Fun and lovely staff!

The staff at Howlett's were so delightful and funny! A typical day at Howlett's was to deal with hundreds and hundreds of customers coming in and out of the zoo. The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with the difficult customers that I used to sometimes get at Howletts, but the staff was always very supportive.

Pros

Free entry to the zoo whenever I wasn't working.

Cons

Long hours, and only one 30 minute break if working 8 hours.

Happy

It's enjoyable place to work and has been throughout my time here. I am currently however looking for somewhere than can offer me more hours of work which in theory more pay.

Fun Work Place

Days were spent preparing morning, lunch and afternoon feeds for the Primates and then distributing the food to the primates. Cleaning primate enclosures and managing the Walk Through With Lemur Enclosure and answering any questions that the public asked about the Lemurs.

Pros

Working with primates, team work, nice staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howletts Wild Animal Park. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement