HUC

Working at HUC: Latest HUC Reviews

United Kingdom25 reviews

Good organisation to work for

The job can be repetitive itself at times but working in the call centre with friendly & supportive colleagues is always great. IT issues I find are quite frequent. The pay rate is ok but compared with other NHS 111 providers there is room for improvement with that. A lot of policies and processes to remember and follow and with the lack of clinical staff I worry that it is unsafe especially at weekends. Understandably with the pandemic and current strains on the NHS nationally the organisation(s) do their best with the resources they have.

Pros

Free Starbucks coffee Great team support Benefits ie. perkbox, nhs discounts etc. Refer a friend scheme Overtime Remote working

Cons

Lack of staff which impacts the service especially at the weekends

Maximum effort for minimum reward

After four weeks intensive and haphazard training of medical and system knowledge (and three exams) you are basically let loose into the call centre. You get a few shifts supervised then are expected to know eveything. You don't even know if you can keep the job until you've been there for six weeks.Management are unsupportive, not caring about health advisors except when they need you to work more or god forbid you've been one minute over on your breaks this month. Trying to change your contracted hours or rota is ridiculously long-winded and could be done through email.Not enough training is given e.g how to deal with suicidal patients, how to navigate the DoS screen, how to probe etc. You're just thrown into the deep end and expected to get on with itNot enough support after training. You get two shifts fully supervised and then you're basically on your own Staff turnover is very high and management do nothing to try and solve this. The amount of pressure you are under is ridiculous, especially for the pay. You only get 20 seconds between calls which is nowhere near enough. When a caller is shouting at you are expected to just roll over and take it. I'm not saying we should do the same but there should be some protection in place for health advisors when patients are hostile.You are made to feel silly when asking for help, especially in the first few weeks when you are still learning everything.There are always issues with the rota, don't expect to even know your shifts for the next week.These are the issues just off the top of my head. Not to mention the fact that -

Insights into HUC

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Probably one of the worst company to work for

Where to start? Managers are useless, unsupportive, rude. Work home life balance is non existent and they pay you then find ways to take money off your salary. It’s shocking how this company is still running. High staff turn over speaks for itself! Supervisors are clueless on the company policy so offer no help when you stuck on a call, higher management promise things and never deliver. Honestly stay away from this company if you can.

Pros

You can make good friends

Cons

Long hours, management, no support

Hard work little in return. No respect

After the interview which you had to complete a phone and system test without warning and 6 week training involving intense medical and system training admitted by trainers, until you know you are employed. It is very rewarding but after 1.5 years it becomes hard to be shouting at down the phone at times. Constantly under pressure with no knowledgement from management. There used to be appreciation from old management by providing some food as a gesture of appreciation when it was extremely high demanding with amount of calls that had increased, barely time for a break at times. Now, there is no communication from management unless they need you to do more and can feel belittled. Peers are the only thing after 2years that keep you there. Everyone tends to leave after second year but there is still a big staff turn around. It’s very repetitive and any time away from the screen is recorded and everyone has monthly email if it has been good enough or not. It is a good job and not all negative but apart from peers there is no support or goodwill

Pros

Peers

Cons

No appreciation or support. No pregression. Rotas around children impossible

Absolute disgrace

I currently work here and am desperate to get out of this company some colleagues are brilliant others and management are horrendous ,the high staff turnover amongst health advisors says it all ! We get treated like bottom feeders and get picked on for different things on different days one rule for one something different for another, no one wants to listen to you and management dont want to know you unless they want a favour even then they are rude. You will never get recognition working here or get any further than being a bum on a seat. Favouritism at every level, they always pick the wrong people to progress honestly look somewhere else for a job you’ll only regret working here .

Bad place

Not a good place to work. Worst part was that they don't bother to reply to job applications - it's simply rude to not even send a simple email out saying thank you but its a no.

Huc is a fair approachable employer

Huc have a good relationship with their staff, they listen and encourage internal promotions. they encourage flexible working and there are opportunities for a variety of roles within their organisation.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

.shift work including weekends

Its ok can be stressful

The company is good but the drivers get treated like the lowest of the low. Responsability is high for drivers but isn't shown in respect of your commitment to the job , and only get minimum wage.

Pros

Helpingpeole in need

Cons

Long hours and low wadges.

Fast Paced.

It is a job where no day is the same you get a different amount of calls every shift from the standard calls to what can be a life-threatening situation. There is sometimes a lack of support from those who are clinically trained so you cannot always get the guidance needed, this being said some members of the clinical team go beyond to help you and after a difficult call will also check on you. Only a small percent of management will actually check on your health and wellbeing, and some will make you feel when your unwell or unable to attend that you need to so you do not have any repercussions. In a lot of serious situations, it has been health advisors helping other health advisors and sometimes even helping clinical staff rather than any clinical or management stepping to help the health advisors when needed which can bring down morale. It is a fast-paced job that needs you to be able to listen and act quickly but it is a stressful job with high burn out rates, it has been the job where I have been able to help people and I am proud of the work I achieved there but also there could be more recognition for the work staff do..

Pros

Colleagues are supportive.

Cons

Management.

Excellent Recruitment and Selection Process

The Recruitment Team were very helpful. I spoke the manager of the recruitment team initially when I had a few questions, he answered it all. Also during training period they were very supportive and answered my questions with a smile.

Great place to work. But be prepared to work hard.

I am currently employed at Bedford. The team and training are great. If you need flexibility as long as you choose the right contract this is the job for you. I do not think we are paid enough. Staff retention would improve if the salary reflected the hard work and training effort required. You need to be constantly on top of your job and can not make mistskes

Rewarding & full on.

I've worked for the company for almost a year at the Luton & Bedford office. I really enjoy the job & the team I work with are great. There is the opportunity to progress within the company & if you put in the extra when needed, it doesn't go forgotten. The breaks were pretty rubbish but have been reviewed & are changing to a much fairer time. Yes you need to be thick skinned & prepared to work hard but it is definitely interesting & a rewardimg place to work. The shifts work well with me being a parent, took some getting used to but fits in perfectly so I can still be there for my children.

Pros

Great team. Good suport from manager. Interesting job.

Productive and fun workplace

it was fun to work here and there was a lot of support from management and other collegues. Even when understaffed we were always supported. Management always supported our decisions too.

Pros

Good work collegues

Cons

Understaffed

Very Challenging

The job itself is very hard at times, especially on weekends. The job has so much training constantly. There are some friendly colleagues and some that are not so friendly. The calls you take all audited and some are reviewed once a month which you must pass.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Long hours and short breaks

Repetitive work, no variety

I worked there for just over 1 year. The training was good and there were (mostly) good quality people working in the contact centre but the work is extremely repetitive, to the extent of having to read out the contents of screens word for word over and over again. The job suited for a time but in the end, I felt that I couldn't do it any more and I left. The management loaded more and more demands on the Health Advisors to meet the requirements of the Integrated Urgent Care contract. In short, I'd say do it for a short time e.g. student summer job or to tide you over between jobs. It is not a long term prospect.

Pros

Quality of peers, can work part time

Cons

Repetitive, unvaried work, unsocial hours, management

Hmmm

Have to have a thick skin to work here, you consistently get shouted at by patients when they don’t get what they want. If you’re good management will work with you to offer you shifts that suit your lifestyle but you are expected to work a lot of extra hours over xmas and Easter. Lots of overtime availability if you want it. Not great benefits (sometimes feel like an employee number not a person) so high staff turnaround but some lovely people working there.

Management are awful

Been there over a year. Honestly it's managed like a joke. Treated like dirt and constantly pressured to pick up more hours than anyone can handle. Will not get thanked for it but quickly shamed for not. Management are all friends and family everyone else is ignored. No career progression. No respect given. Revolving door of staff. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Pros

Cons

Everyday is a new torture

Excellent team morale

Excellent team morale , no to days are the same excellent and very supportive team ,managers are very supportive .Lone working no one is breathing down you and

Pros

left alone to work, no breathing or watching you

111 call handler

Busy busy busy, great staff but the role is demanding. Management never speak to you unless they want/need extra staff. Any decent jobs that come up are usually given to the senior staffs friends and family. Very rarely have enough staff. Needs a complete shake up of the senior staff.

Pros

They always seem to hire really good people but then treat them really bad

Cons

Management, hours, staffing levels

Call centre

Good work environment excellent staff benefits shift work free parking free beverages good management great team effort good salary overtime available

Great team feeling

Call centre based work In and outgoing calls Very good team effort Shift workwell managed Overtime available Free parking Free tea/coffee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HUC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement