IBM

IBM Employee Reviews

United Kingdom671 reviews

Found 671 reviews matching the searchSee all 31,477 reviews

Poor employer

Job itself was good but had a horrible culture at work. Also advised jobs were safe and within a few months they were gone. If working would recommend being on the lookout for other positions.

Great place to start as a Grad

I have worked at IBM for 2 years as an early professional, my first year was as a placement year whilst at uni and I’m now back as an Associate Consultant. It is a great company where you have sooo many opportunities to move around onto different projects, working within different industries, trying out different roles etc. I’ve just completed the first year of the grad scheme and received a promotion equal to around 25% of my starting salary - which basically all grads get unless you fail your probation. Really good support from management for upskilling with both internal and external qualifications.

Pros

Amazing new office on York Road, free coffee, some employee after work events, good progression opportunities

Cons

Job enjoyment & work culture dependant on the project you’re on and business area are working within

Insights into IBM

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Have thoroughly enjoyed my time at IBM the management are supportive and there is a lot of focus on training. Clients have a lot of faith in IBM and have made good client relationships.

Great people as a team

Wages need to increase and a bonus scheme in place and better communication with workforce and explain direction company are going in, also need better shifts and training

Excellent people to work with. Good opportunities and now they have realised the benefit of training. Travel can be a double edged sword, depends on where you have to travel.

Pros

Working with top people

Cons

Travel. Training not coordinated with your actual job.

Fun workplace

IBM is very welcoming to new joiners, quite quickly you will feel part of the team. I found that there is a culture to be highly responsive. You can expect a reply within minutes from people.

Good place to work, relaxed and room for progression

Enjoyed working for the company especially large project, good company culture and can gain skills and work with different team to gain more experience.

Pros

good team to work with.

Cons

too far to commute

Collaborative and team work at all times.

Varied but collaborative and at month and quarter end you are required to pull out all of the stops and deliver. Those periods were quite challenging but the learning experience was very valuable.

Pros

Team work was great.

Cons

Long hours at month end and quarter end.

Get to work on great projects and gain invaluable experience with clients working with some great technologies.I mainly worked as a full stack developer using JavaScript and this was such a great experience.

Excellent Place to Work

It's really fun working at IBM, IBM is Ocean of Technology if you want to work or learn here, you have full freedom. Indeed a very nice place to work.

Good places to work for individuals who a trying to upskill themselves.

Good place to work with no experience needed a chance for an individual to upskill themselves then move on and commend a better salary. Although a permanent position its agency work so not sustainable in the long run.

Pros

4 Day working week when on 10 hors Shifts

Cons

10 hour shifts week occasionally

Sometimes stressful depends on manager.

IBM was a great workplace, however over the years work became too stressful and the culture changed. Too demanding for one person doing the work of three now.

Pros

In the past was a fun place to work

Cons

Long hours expected now and no fun as you are expected to do more.

Excellent place to work

Really enjoyed my 12 years only left due to redundancy. Meet alot of people & learnt many different things . Took many courses & good rewards for my hard work .

Has been a good employer for a long time.

I was a long time company man back in the days of final salary pensions, full benefits packages etc. Whilst there were issues when the company decided to withdraw from a market, usually by hiving off (eg Lexmark) or selling (eg Lenovo) an entire business unit, it was always interesting and stimulating.

Relaxed pace left your own devices

Relaxed pace left your own devicesNot enough guidance left to work too many things out on your own not enough information flowing from the top to the bottom kept in the dark about developments and future future prospects

Pros

Left your own devices

Cons

Long shifts

Proud to have been an IBMer

Whilst a role at IBM demands the best out of everyone in the Team, it's the collaborative spirit that gets the job done.If I had the opportunity, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Very intelligent workplace with a lot of home working possible

It was easy once I knew what I was doing. Mgmnt trusted you a lot even when you were working from home. You could work the hours that suited you as long as you got the job done, and working with people all around the world meant that this was desirable. Various people had different part-time arrangements - more flexible on this than most companies. Nearly everyone there is at least a graduate and generally seemed very competent and professional at their jobs. However recent revenue numbers mean they are always cutting back and it's hard (unless you are in a real strategic role) to get any meaningful pay rise or promotion.

Pros

Flexibility with hours.

Cons

Lack of promotion/career opportunities/significant pay rise.

Professional approach to all aspects of the job

It's s a fast moving organisation that both drives and reacts to business and technology changes. Be prepared to work hard and reap the rewards. You'll be well supported by your manager.

Pros

Teamwork

Interesting Job, some great people

I got the job on the back of my Unix systems admin experience. 22 years ago, So I imagine things have changed somewhat. I was interviewed by my direct line manager, no technical questions.Fantastic place to work, opportunity to do more technical courses than you thought humanly possible

Pros

Excellent Cafeteria

Cons

Personally I was sometimes out of my depth

An outstanding work environment

My employment at IBM, was exactly how I dreamt working at a company would be. Welcoming atmosphere, prioritising hard work while providing a great service overall.

Pros

Guidance, employees, mentoring

good work place

Best job i have ever had . good managers good training all round good felt supported by managers and colleges well looked after, If you get an job offer I would take it ,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement