IBM
Happiness score is 77 out of 100

IBM Employee Reviews

A place to gain exposure to complex projects and learn technologies however very politic and with slow reaction to change and improvement. Unless you follow their structure there is not support from the business at all.
My employment at IBM, was exactly how I dreamt working at a company would be. Welcoming atmosphere, prioritising hard work while providing a great service overall.
Pros
Guidance, employees, mentoring
Cons
Best job i have ever had . good managers good training all round good felt supported by managers and colleges well looked after, If you get an job offer I would take it ,
IBM insisted I get a license for a company car so I didn’t have to travel to London. I got a license and asked for several years to be placed in my area and that travelling to London was affecting my performance.I then got made redundant because my performance was dropping (big surprise, who could’ve predicted that!?)🙄I also requested countless times to be given a better work-education balance and was denied.As a result I was unable to complete some courses that also led to me being made redundant.I’d give this company 0 stars out of 5, if it were possible.
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Cons
My experience of EU VAT was enhanced by my role. It pushed me to learn and understand many more technical aspects and VAT rules in all EU member states. Plus the process of recovering import VAT of supplies of goods from outside the EU was very useful dealing with international freight handlers. IBM were not managing any of this ... my role was to gain control of all recoverable VAT & import VAT in the EU countries they operated in. Once managed I was recovering between USD 25 to 30 million a year for IBM .
Pros
Good work colleagues
Cons
Too much travel in the EU
IBM Marketing is populated by self-confident self-starters. People who have to present to customers confidently and with knowledge of the customer's business, in order to 'size' the mainframe computer(s). to run the customer's applications. Hours are long sometimes, but job satisfaction was outstanding; especially when you won the contract.
Pros
Well paid. Trusted to manage your own time.
Cons
Long hours, and could be quite stressful sometimes. But I loved it.
Tupe into IBM as part of a 'partnership'Not feeling part of IBM or the old company. Neither wants us, but both need us.And now, 12 months later, redundancies.I do think if working direct for IBM, it would be different picture.
Pros
remote working is promoted
Cons
extra hours required to complete. Higher management no idea what is required.
Not bad, but happy to leave The office life went downhill, office was less than a third full. They did offer good training and access to online courses Pay was acceptable, contract terms and benefits were not as good as my previous employer
Great job and great guys you work alongside but poor management and very little communication from them. Would not recommend applying for a job with this company.
working IBM Procurement Service on client account is not for the faint hearted it’s stressful, demanding and ultra competitive. The work environment on client accounts is political and toxic, putrid and demagogic management. At the interview I was told everything I wanted to hear don’t worry we are here to support if it doesn’t work we will move you to another account or to an internal IBM post which was a complete load of nonsense . The problem on these outsourcing deals they over promise and under deliver . They claim they can make savings without doing due diligence. They also promise they can deliver utilising half the resources than what is required, you then work all hours god sends . The IBM management constantly pressure you to deliver savings bullying you harassing you out of hours phoning you up hectoring you demanding the work is done regardless of the time of the day, threatening you if you don’t deliver your job is under threat . I would say this there is no amount of money that can compensate you for the stress, anxiety, bullying and harassment you get on this job. In all my years this has to be the worst place I have ever worked. There is no support , no structure, you ask for information, templates, insights, processes and they don’t have jack. It’s all smoke and mirrors, how these people survive is beyond me. Prior to me joining there 3 people left in 4 months in the category I was working on , another 5 people left in another category, this account had a high churn rate due to the client being demanding and complaining about everything. What they do not tell - more...
Cons
I'm a current employee and am having a decent experience here. I couldn't ask for a nicer team and direct manager, everyone freely shares information and supports anyone in need. My problem with IBM is the higher-level management, who seem more concerned with politics than making useful or informed decisions - an example of that is making a third of my already hard-pressed department redundant for vague reasons. There's also a lot of the usual large company stuff like tedious mandatory education and clunky performance reviews but nothing too different from other big companies I've seen in the past.
Pros
Nice colleagues, health insurance, fairly flexible working
Cons
Not a fan of upper management, pay's nothing special, big and clunky
Je n'aurais jamais assez d'eloges pour cette compagnie qui respecte ses employees. Qui les comprends et qui fait tout ce qui est possible pour assurer une balance travail/vie de famille. On pars travailler heureux, on travaille dans le bonheur, l'ambiance est magnifique, le management est tres comprehensif.
Pros
Tout
Cons
Rien
Salary is a bit on the lower end for the area. Not enough for a decent 1 bedroom apartment on my own. Work/Life balance okay, could be better. I managed to work remotely every other Friday. But I think this really depends on your project manager. Start times were flexible. Some people on our team got in before 8am others come in after 9am. I worked in the CIC which is separate to mainline IBM. Its basically just Java/JavaScript roles with a few others so not much opportunity for other stuff. But I managed to work on a few new technologies. So it depends on your project really. People there are really nice. Get on with them all and a really good culture. Management really started to annoy me though. I joined as a graduate and I thought there would be a project lined up but I ended up on the bench for 3 months doing loads and loads of online e-learning. The free courses on udemy were good but most of the time you didn't get a choice of stuff to learn either. They want you to learn whatever the current/upcoming projects will use. Including salesforce. After a while it gets stressful though because you get asked everyday what did you do to find/apply to a project. There were hardly any available though and you run out of projects to apply to then they get mad that you didn't apply to any that day. They then started trying to get people who joined as developers to be testers and thats when things started taking off. Loads of the graduates just started leaving, because theres nothing to do. Don't get me wrong you can just keep learning and learning and still get paid but after - more...
As a project manager employed through an agency I would have defined progress meeting to attend each day as well as meeting by myself would have scheduled. The overall Management was excellent, and enabled working remotely and at an hot desk office. I enjoyed all aspects of working with IBM
Pros
The Team I worked with were excellent and we got the job done
Cons
I am working remotely on a project affiliated with IBM. I have had an excellent experience with my line manager. IBM has been very accommodating during these trying times, and my manager has always been available, and happy to help.
Clueless management. No teamwork. Manager went to the pub every day. Had to explain basics to senior development staff - e.g. didn't understand basic unit testing.
IBM has a plenty of opportunities where we can learn and grow. The kind of projects I was offered were very innovative having new technologies, I was able to learn many new tools and technologies.
I worked here for a year on Placement while studying my degree. The process was long, but worth the wait and gave me a lot of experience. The job was what I made of it, allowing me to work to my stengths.
not sure what you want me to write here as I was made redundant after 18 years and felt that at the end of the day working 12 hour days for no extra pay was obviously not good enough
Great company to work. Work-life balance is there. Opportunity to learn new things every day, great culture, management is good, it is a big elephant moving with slow pace. very stable company.
This was a work placement as a part of my level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma at Farnborough College of Technology. I learned a lot of skills in the placement and was able to experience a real workplace for the first time.
  1. Employee reviews