IHG Hotels & Resorts

• Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Interesting place to work

The staff are nice and friendly. Although the job itself can be monotonous, you get paired with interesting people and build relationships. Beautiful ambience too.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Routine jobs

Understaffed and dysfunctional “teams”

Worked at IHG as a bartender in Cardiff - which I have done in many other bars previously. Despite the environment being fairly relaxed in comparison to bars I’ve worked in the past, the lack of management and guidance made this place awful to work in.Would be rota in to finish at 11pm but would rarely leave before midnight; sometimes way later. And was just told this is simply how it is - leaving me very little ability to plan my social life around work.Management were often unwilling to help with any issues or support me in my new role.Was left entirely alone to manage the whole bar on my second day! Suffered a head injury at work as a fridge did not properly fit into its space under the bar, resulting me to fall to the floor and suffer with symptoms of a concussion for the next few days. Notified management of this immediately and was told to just stop messing around. Had to close and clean a whole bar down alone - which would result in the late nights without any help from the floor team. However if I had finished my duties earlier I was often set the task of setting tables - a job that should’ve been completed by floor staff. Despite them never helping me.Would rarely get given my breaks due to the fact nobody else could manage the bar as it would just be me working alone.In this role I was not treated like a person, but a number to fill the space. No consideration or care for the staff.I feel I was massively taken advantage of in this role, there is a reason why every week or two this place is advertising for new bar staff - because it’s NOT a nice place -

Pros

Free squash

Cons

Long hours, understaffed, poor management

Nice Place to Work

Lovely place to work, Lovely people, Lovely Guests..... but very hard work and under staffed, under-valued, under paid for what you have to do on a shift !

Pros

Talk to Guests

Cons

Hard work and low pay

Double standards

Used to be a great company to work for… until double standards and politics came into place a few years ago. Since then, it got worse for everyone, at corporate office and hotels. Constant consultations at the corporate office and outsourcing services meant lower levels of service for hotels… and obviously worse service for guests (when the company used to pride on being “Great Hotels Guest Love” and “True Hospitality”. Then, COVID happened. As much as I can understand a company must survive throughout crisis, they should have used furlough schemes to the max instead of firing and rehiring. On top on that, during consultation, words of one company representative, they don’t care about guests and/or service provided as the InterContinental brand will always be there… just another double standard. Show we care, do the right thing… all rubbish. Forgot to mention… while you have an employee on furlough you’re not meant to ask that employee to keep the phone on him… specially when you’ve told that employee the position was at risk of redundancy and finally made the position redundant. Just hypocrisy and double standards. Happy not to work for that company any more

Pros

Atmosfere

Toxic atmosphere

Very unwelcoming to new starts, made to feel belittled by management and worst of all fellow colleagues. Asking for help led to eye rolling and grunting, and no help given. Genuinely felt scared coming into work and dreaded waking up in the morning to attend.Training wholly inadequate. No role specific training offered, primarily overview of company values and policies.

Pros

Cons

Toxic culture; dirty kitchen; poorly maintained staff facilities

Very good experience to work with them

The administration, the concern for its employees, the induction, the organization of everything, the employee's food and the uniforms.All very well, only the Covid arrived and damaged the entire tourism sector, they also tried to help everyone until the last moment. You can see the concern for their employees and professionalism.

Pros

Cons

One of the many chefs, who had no education

Stressful work enviroment

Bad hotel ownership and management at crowne plaza hotel where staff were treated badly by management and basically dumped on from a great hight as management didn't care about guests or staff .

Pros

Cons

5 day week

Great team effort

Sometimes a lack of communication between various departments but overall a driven, fast paced 24 hour business environment with a great team of multi talented people.

Pros

Free lunch, uniform provided, global company

Cons

Can be stressful

Fun

I had a lot of fun at this job I wish I still worked there but with Covid it is very difficult to carry on in hospitality. I was going to climb the ladder in this job because of all the learning material and encouragement from staff. It’s the only job I have been made redundant from and it was my favourite job this far.

Pros

Great environment

Cons

Overwhelming

Disapointing place of employment

My role at this Hotel was at first very good with plenty of learning online about the various roles at the hotel.Once completed there is little or no chance of progresion.My role was to be developed into more hours but sadly other members of staff where allowed to perform my role when my hours expired.Management regarding staff welbeing and problems are left for the individual to sort out.I am still on Furlough whilst other members of staff have all returned,no one from HR or Management have contacted me to find out how i am and advise me of my return.Fuloughed since April.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

No communication between staff and Management

Great company

I worked here and it was a fantastic company to work for. You can learn so much and really progress. Some people have worke there for many years. They pay well and have great company benefits too.

Benefits

Bad experience

Not caring at all about its employees. Really bad treatment and used for tasks that does not suit the job, luggage porter...catering help, etc. Absolutely lack of respect.

Collaborative and friendly culture

A great company with fantastic people. The culture is very collaborative and they place a big focus on getting the right "fit" of person. Good benefits. Would recommend,

Not bad

Wouldn’t work there again. Staff pick and choose how they wish to treat you depending on what they want done. You’re denied many holidays without explanation and if your not in some form of high position your opinion doesn’t get accounted for.

Friendly team spirited company

A great place to work speaking to people all around the world, building replationships with hotels and owners, there can be a very relaxed atmosphere which allows you to carry out your role with ease

• Training staff on new housekeeping functions, techniques, efficiencies

Ensuring high standards of cleanliness, hygiene and tidiness • Maintain supply levels of housekeeping bases and trolleys • Supervising daily task of cleaning – rooms, bathrooms, corridors, public areas • Training staff on new housekeeping functions, techniques, efficiencies

Culturally dynamic environment

I worked here for some years and loved my colleagues. I eventually had to leave as new opportunities arose. You will definitely have a great experience as you will meet many people from different cultures from different walks of life.

Avoid

They use far too many agency staff and management are often clueless and have toxic people at the top who don’t listen or care about your career. Standards and expectations are too high vs the support they give you to carry out your duties, even as a head of department.

What you would expect...

Housekeeping is housekeeping. Hotel in general is fab to work for. Staff are lovely, its just a busy environment. Days aren’t too long, good length of breaks are given though. Only bad thing about the job is how hot the hotels can be during the summer when working.

Good company.

I had a bad experience personally as I was used to cover my manager when he left, they did not promote me but instead hired someone above me for which I had to train! Poor!

An amazing place to work with fantastic second to none training and support

Great place great people and great trading with strong work life balance ethics. Very stressful at times but so are most places you work in todays environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IHG Hotels & Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.7K
1K

3.7Job security/advancement
  • IHG Hotels & Resorts
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?