Ian Williams Ltd

Insights into Ian Williams Ltd

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things

Good company to work for

Ive worked for Ian Williams for nearly 5 years and have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the company. Everyone is very welcoming and you'll be part of a great team. The Mission Statement is to be "A Company Loved by its employees and customers" and the culture supports this.

Pros

flexible working, autonomy in my role, great team members, job security

Cons

Cant' think of any

Great values and culture. Great development opportunities

Worked for the company for 2 years and have had support and development throughout as I settled into the role. The company took into account transferable skills with my application as I was new to the sector and not all companies I interviewed with thought the same way. I think this was a huge positive. The interview process was robust but well communicated and the process moved quickly once involved. Work has been challenging but worthwhile and targets are achievable with hard work.

Pros

Development, Support and Culture

Cons

Covid has been tough on us all!

Fantastic Employer

I joined Ian Williams as a Graduate Management Trainee over 10 years ago, and have enjoyed many opportunities progressing through operational and functional roles in the business. As an employer they continually demonstrate strong leadership and a clear intent to look after employees. My roles have often been challenging - especially with the impacts of Brexit and Covid - but have always enjoyed strong support from many parts of the company to help achieve company and personal goals. Would strongly recommend the company to friends, family and contacts.

Pros

A company that listens and responds to its employees.

Cons

Demanding industry (albeit well supported internally)

Strong Values

Ian Williams have retained all their employees throughout the pandemic so job security is excellent. Having started with them during a pandemic (and not being able to meet new colleagues face to face - or have the ability to work from an office), I found my line management and colleagues extremely supportive and helpful.

Pros

Work Life Balance, supplier discounts, pension

Generally good

Long term work. Bonus scheme, and if you want to do more hours to earn more you usually canTravel allowance and fares paid so if you are working further from home you get more money.

6 December 2021
Thank you for leaving us an excellent review. We're thrilled you are loving your experience and we'll be sure to feedback your review. It’s important our employees are satisfied and your review reaffirms the hard work we contribute daily. So thanks, once again, for your kind words.

A People Business

I was attracted to the company based upon the vision and values of its employees. I wasn't disappointed having been offered the role and the support the business provides has so far been very good. The senior leadership team listen and takes appropriate action where necessary in what is a competitive market. A very structured business with innovative technology and processes.A very fast paced business where no 2 days are the same.

Pros

Job security

Great company

Been here just over 6 weeks now and so far Happy I made the choice great rates of pay good hours especially for me being a family man work load not to much always happy to help if you have a problem great place to work

Pros

Good pay good hours not over worked

Terrible place to work

Your fed a bunch of lies about how much you can make.All work is set with unachievable time based targets made so you don't make "bonus" and are set up to fail before you even start the job.Management are arrogant and full of themselves and are constantly trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Avoid at all cost unless you enjoy being belittled and insulted!

Challenging, but rewarding

I have been working at Ian Williams for over 15 years and there have been ups and downs during my career, but I have always been able to speak to my manager and leadership team if I have had any significant issues.The roles I've undertaken have been challenging and demanding, but I feel that there was the right level of support versus autonomy to make a difference.The company provides the opportunity to progress and has embraced the hybrid working option, which for me has made a significant improvement to my work/life balance.

Pros

Challenging roles and opportunity to progress

Cons

No major issues

Terrible management

DO NOT work for this group, very 'gang' atmosphere, forget contact with management when you need it, the time frame your given for the amount of work is a joke for the results they expect, working on buildings in terrible conditions but expected to restore and paint in less than a week, constant issues with pay but they won't discuss that with you they will just ignore you. Avoid at all costs

6 December 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're sorry your experience didn't match your expectations. We respect your feedback and we'll do better in the future.Please feel free to reach out to recruitment@ianwilliams.co.uk with any further comments, concerns or suggestions.

A company who believes in treating their employees fairly

Ian Williams has a great culture. It is a company who recognises the importance of its employees and at every level you are recognised for your contribution. It clearly sees its employees as its most prized asset, the employees are the face of Ian Williams and therefore they have a great focus on its people having the right behaviour. The teams work collaboratively and you are seen as an individual, not just a number. Ian Williams will open doors for you and allow you to excel in what you do best.

Pros

The team and the culture and the career opportunities

Cons

N/a

6 December 2021

Your better working for yourself

Estimate jobs, estimate materials, get order for materials, collect materials required, complete the job, complete the app, complete the paperwork. Running round constantly for the guys if the office to make out it’s easy work 😂 39 hours a week get paid enough to pay bills & nothing else. Great work life balance 😀

Pros

Cons

Better off self employed

Not a good company to work for

They say 6 jobs more like 10 and they still want mor I would advoid Waverley branch godalming the more u do the more they want no appreciation by the management AVOID AVOID AVOID

Pros

There aren’t any

Great place too work

Great place too work, good group of lads on the team As with any job there are good and bad days though the bad days are few and far between thankfully Supportive environment which incorporates a culture of self improvement and always conscious about employees health and safetyCouldn't recommend enough

Pros

Bonus, overtime, travel allowances, generous call out

Not bad too work for but all based on hours for everything so not good environment to work at always worried about getting hours in and trying to do the best possible job.

Pros

Cons

Hours are unworkable

Professional but fun business culture

Worked as a scheduler/planner and have personally never had an issue, management have been supportive and accommodating and the business environment makes even the bad days good. Would definitely recommend having a job at Ian Williams, I have never experienced this level of professionalism in any other previous job and management do their best to uplift and motivate rather than micro-manage.

Pros

Relaxed office culture

Supportive, friendly and positive environment

Working at Ian Williams has been a breath of fresh air compared to my previous employer. The overall culture is that of enthusiasm and positivity. Successes are celebrated and I have been given great support as a new starter. My manager celebrates my successes and is patient with me as I learn new aspects of the job and my team and all the wider colleagues here have been really friendly and welcoming.

Pros

professional, supportive positive environment

Cons

Ill let you know when I find any.

Joke to work for

A joke two work for DO NOT work for them the worst company I've ever worked the worst time of my working life all 3 weeks and it took six weeks to get my money do not work for this outfit keep well away

Pros

Cons

A joke to work for

Dog eat Dog

A very top heavy management structure totally target driven ethos.Money and profit before peopleif yiur face fits.Became totally demoralising and depressing.Robots are welcome.

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Bullying

Painting, alledgedly

We're to start, targets are totally unachievable, , management actively encourage bumping in general, Mainly paint externals and wash down windows, the work force arnt decorators, more glorified cleaners poor pricing buy the in experienced quantity surveyor, force the lads to bump, profit allways comes before client No property inspection prior to painting, basically paint round the rot, yet when snagged employee blamedThe bonus scheme is non existantFind any excuse not to payBe aware if you use your own vehicle Travel And fair is wrong every week, common theme through out the branches,

Pros

There is non, treated badly.

Cons

Run your vehicle in to the ground for 20 p a mile

They choose profit over staff H&S

A typical day at Ian Williams you start up with 50 emails about trying to Persuade Head Office to allow a unit to purchase a item cheaper from a non supplier. Then you have to find the correct forms to fill out after they amend it for the 10th time. There is a lot of competitive culture where head office creates tallies and tables who has done the most work. Everyone is trying to out do their colleagues to be noticed by the directors. The Management is too top heavy that during my time people/departments were suddenly disappearing and new outsourced companies where being used. Ian Williams has contingency plans they know what type of business they want to be you just need to know if your job is going to be in it. If you do not fit in the workplace by standing up for your self you will get bullied. The hardest part of the job is to meet the demands the management has set last minute because they have to much to do the work has been forgotten about so to keep the client happy they make you work through your lunch or make you feel bad for having lunch. The enjoyable time was back in the first years of working for Ian Williams when they were a small family run company.

Pros

Holiday

Cons

Long hours poor pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ian Williams Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement

Compare Ian Williams Ltd with

• Ian Williams Ltd
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?