Ian Williams Ltd

Ian Williams Ltd Employee Reviews

Interviewed via Teams as covid was effecting normal routines. Had three interviews whilst being whittled down from all applicants. Got the firm offer, started less than a week later. Maybe a little too fast paced start as laptop took a couple of weeks to catch up. Enjoying the work, the colleagues and the fun culture here. Work is rewarding and challenging but I expected and wanted that to be the case. If you get the offer of a management role here grab it with both hands
Pros
good perks, great culture, nice relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
None apparent yet as working from home a lot due to covid.
A very top heavy management structure totally target driven ethos.Money and profit before peopleif yiur face fits.Became totally demoralising and depressing.Robots are welcome.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Bullying
Its a great place to work very organised in regards to materials and day to day work planning, Great team of colleagues on the team im working with who all work hard but can have a laugh at the same time. Even with the current pandemic things are straight forward and running in lines with government guidelines so you feel safe coming to work.
Pros
Happy place to work.
Cons
Iv not come across any
We're to start, targets are totally unachievable, , management actively encourage bumping in general, Mainly paint externals and wash down windows, the work force arnt decorators, more glorified cleaners poor pricing buy the in experienced quantity surveyor, force the lads to bump, profit allways comes before client No property inspection prior to painting, basically paint round the rot, yet when snagged employee blamedThe bonus scheme is non existantFind any excuse not to payBe aware if you use your own vehicle Travel And fair is wrong every week, common theme through out the branches,
Pros
There is non, treated badly.
Cons
Run your vehicle in to the ground for 20 p a mile
A typical day at Ian Williams you start up with 50 emails about trying to Persuade Head Office to allow a unit to purchase a item cheaper from a non supplier. Then you have to find the correct forms to fill out after they amend it for the 10th time. There is a lot of competitive culture where head office creates tallies and tables who has done the most work. Everyone is trying to out do their colleagues to be noticed by the directors. The Management is too top heavy that during my time people/departments were suddenly disappearing and new outsourced companies where being used. Ian Williams has contingency plans they know what type of business they want to be you just need to know if your job is going to be in it. If you do not fit in the workplace by standing up for your self you will get bullied. The hardest part of the job is to meet the demands the management has set last minute because they have to much to do the work has been forgotten about so to keep the client happy they make you work through your lunch or make you feel bad for having lunch. The enjoyable time was back in the first years of working for Ian Williams when they were a small family run company.
Pros
Holiday
Cons
Long hours poor pay
Anybody thinking of working here give your head a wobble definitely not a p & d company promise lots of good work like hotels, offices & schools all you do 99% of time is externals might not even be painting but washing down windows fascias soffits and guttering
Pros
None whatsoever
Cons
Getting ripped off with your money ona weekly basis
NEED to review target system seriously lack of support and logistics are a joke when trying to meet targets wairing for equiptment and materials constantly.double standard are employed regarding work specifications reslly badlly organized managment structure espesially QS assessment of target hpurs
Pros
Good HR and company generally
Cons
Unacheiveable targets
Place is full of bullies and are not helpful with any training .Ended up like the works lacky and gofer .Big turnover of staff and i can see why .Can't report to anyone because get bullied even more.
Pros
Cons
Could be working anywhere and hours are long.
ripped off every turn i made supposed to be on the books just felt like a poorly paid subby very clicky firm if your face fits fine if it doesn't be aware, watch out for getting ripped off out of wages and diesel if you use your own vehicle
Pros
Cons
Treated like being back at school
hour rate is a fix, wages always get change each week, u never she the full amount for the property, bonus scheme waste of time., Management dont answer the phone.
Pros
Cons
all of it
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Ian Williams Ltd?
Relaxed days, great brunch of lads. Bonus scheme available Management are excellent and approachable , good training provided, hard part can be filling out time sheets. provided.
Pros
Bonus available
Cons
Sometimes unachievable targets
It was a good place to work. The management were very supportive of staff and offered advice to improve any service issues. It was a stressful environment but it was well handled.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Long travel time
Do not join this company on a temp contract as umbrella company that pays you, takes to much from you. After deductions only left with two thirds of my wage!!!
I started with ian William's as an apprentice and they put me forward for any relevant training I needed. They also supported me with my college work and then helped me with price work when I finished.
Real them and us culture. Shockingly inept management Good workers being lost because of recent changes to pricework (or lack of) rock bottom morale on most sites,due to tight or impossible targets set by naive surveyors who don't know their a~~es from their elbows, telling experienced tradesmen how long a job will take when they have no real world experience. This was a good company but recent management changes have destroyed this.
I was TUPE,d over to Ian Williams when they won the new contract. I soon settled in was a great pace to work.Regretted having to leave at the end of the contract.
Worked there for 13 weeks while I was on agency good managment shame about the distance and hays the agency it was threw they did not keep to the actual wage they was commited to.
Bully boy mentally and always dishing out disciplinaries if you do something wrong. The phones are constantly ringing leaving no time to get your jobs done. Company has gone from a friendly office to a call centre environment which is far too stressful but management don't seem too bothered as when 1 good person leaves they're happy to replace them with temp who have no idea what they're doing. AVOID AT ALL COST
Supplied with everything you need to carry out jobs on your own. Therefore 99.9% of the time left to your own devices. You are kept an eye on to make sure your working and meeting targets etc but aslong as you do as your meant to be doing and communicate well everything is all good. I have always been supported by fellow workers, management and office staff and feel I am part of a team.
Pros
Support from team
Cons
Pay could be better
Been here for 20 odd years really good company to work for ,couldn’t ask for a better place to work ,they give you good opportunity’s to climb ladder to management :)
Seriously avoid the Leeds branch not sure about other units but Leeds is run by a bully who thinks it’s HIS company and threatens to sack people as if it’s a joke, Worst place I’ve ever worked I can’t wait to get 1 star is too much
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Manager thinks he’s god
  1. Employee reviews