Iceland Foods
Happiness score is 48 out of 100

Iceland Foods Employee Reviews

Found 2,066 reviews matching the search
Worked for this company for just over 2 years. The folk who you work with on a daily basis are great and work together well but the senior management of the company couldn't care less about you.It is drummed into you that it is a family friendly business but when having to constantly deal with staff who aren't paid correctly, aren't managed correctly and ultimately treated like second class citizens it does not feel very friendly.Very hard work for colleagues who get treated terribly due to the culture of the company.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Colleagues not respected
Management is very poor and not helpful when you have an issue during the service, store manager is never around, hiding in warehouse. Management did not give me any support or encouragement. I didn't feel appreciated as person. I have wasted my time working for a company that does not care who I was and which skills-set was able to bring into the company. Unpleasant place to work, management staff swearing when the store was opened and customers were present. Shift rota was based upon favouritism if you speak up and ask for a reasonable shifts, you would not have any shift for the following week. No communication from management and floor staff. What I learnt from working in Iceland is to reject any job offer from this company.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Poor training
Had an amazing time here.Only reason for leaving was temporary contract. Lovely, friendly, hardworking staff. And great management team. Highly recommend if looking for new job role.
I actually got out at the best time as it apparently got worst after i left. I would often get called at before 7am to see if i could do a shift starting at 1pm. actually had a supervisor rudly hang up on me when i said that i had made plans and couldnt fill in.
Pros
apart from discount card nothing.
Cons
never enough staff to do the work that is required in store
They barely give any shifts, make you do roles u did not apply for, cancel shifts with no given reason. Feels very much like favourites are picked to cover shifts and new comers aren’t given a chance at all to get the hang of the role.
Cons
All round horrible work environment
Management was completely incompetent. I'd often be told the same day that the shift would be changed, or cancelled, and often I was not event told about shift changes, so I would arrive late for the blame to be placed on me. The short shifts would also mean to make a living, you would have to work 6 or 7 days a week every week of the year. However, besides this, the majority of the staff were welcoming, bar the manager and a few others, and pay was good. Finally, it should also be mentioned that while the profits of Iceland has skyrocketed during COVID, its workers pay has remained stagnant, recieving no danger pay and no rise. The ethicacy of the company is non-existant.
Pros
Good pay, 10% discount on store
Cons
Short hours, unpredictable shift changes with short/no notice, zero hour contracts
Comment – 16 February 2021
It’s disappointing to hear of your experience working for Iceland, this certainly would not be our expectation. We take all feedback seriously and would like to reassure you that your comments have been escalated. We wish you all the very best for the future
As a delivery driver it is very fast paced you are constantly busy all the time which is a good thing then your not stood about doing nothing it is a very busy little shop everyone assigned to there own duties
Pros
Discount
Comment – 16 February 2021
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear such positive feedback. Keep up the good work!
Paid less than the competition, can earn much more doing day shifts elsewhere.It's stressful, the staff are entrenched and the online picking culture is toxic - the older staff are grandfathered in and abuse the newer staff while being thoroughly incompetent.
Cons
Awful hours
Comment – 16 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review based on you time with Iceland. It is disappointing that you felt you had such a poor experience and are no longer with us. Your feedback is important to us, we wish you the very best for the future.
Seemed a very promising place to work initially but ended up being full of staff who thought way too highly of themselves as if they were on a 6 figures wage salary. You'd be made to feel like a fool if you were to ask for help. Wasn't trained properly either, felt as if I was thrown in on the deep end and way too much was expected of me early on when I was still new. Decent pay especially if you're younger. That's it really. Plenty of talking behind other people's backs happening here too. Glad I'm no longer working here and have moved on to better things!
Pros
Okay pay
Cons
Unpaid lunch, snobby and rude colleagues, horrible hours, rota given out last minute
Comment – 16 February 2021
The management at the store was terrible, no people skills whatsoever. You get breaks deducted from your pay but are never allowed to take them. Very little training and they expect you to know the job inside out from day 1
Pros
staff discount
Cons
No staff morale
Comment – 16 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s disappointing to hear of your experience working for Iceland, this certainly would not be our expectation. We take all feedback seriously and appreciate your comments.We wish you all the very best for the future
My time with Iceland was a frustrating time, with security, store management and senior management.My driving experience was not easy, as store duty managers were too busy to control delivery slots.Duty managers had little support from shop lifting issues.H&S issues were not regularly maintained.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Driver's not supported
Comment – 16 February 2021
After an on-line interview because we were in lockdown, I was offered a position at Iceland. I had to complete my induction training which was all completed on-line on Iceland’s learning platform. This was a comprehensive training for all aspects of the job. I was then given my first shifts and was made to feel welcome by all members of the team. Everyone helps with everything and they have a great social side which everyone is included in.
Pros
Great social activities which enhances team bonding.
Cons
Occasional late changes of working hours to suit the needs of the business.
Comment – 16 February 2021
Like being at school with some staff, nasty talking about other staff behind the back . The same staff swearing when the store is open and customers are present. Supposed to work 7 hours often done a hour or 2 over with no breaks
Pros
Cons
No breaks
Comment – 16 February 2021
I’m a home delivery driver and the store I work in is dreadful. Expected to arrive an hour early to get the deliveries sorted and get ahead for the day as people don’t give a flying one about the drivers. This company expects us to deliver 11-12 drops in 2 hours and then come back and get 100+ crates of shopping ready in 10 minutes. If we’re late then we’re the once facing the backlash from customers and head office, the routine they have just doesn’t work, drivers hardly ever get paid for lunch breaks that they work through and basically get told to deal with it. There is always a problem with the labels on crates from morning crew or missing shopping and it all falls on the drivers. I would avoid this company at all costs it effects your mental health really badly and makes you feel like not turning up everyday at a job you’re supposed to enjoy.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Toxic staff and unrealistic expectations
Comment – 16 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As a business we take all feedback seriously, It’s a shame to hear that not all aspects of the job met your expectations. Your feedback is appreciated and is very useful to us. We wish you all the very best for the future.
I am a driver for them and and trying to find a new job right now lol Crates are over weight and the drive time is impossible if you take your 1hrs break which you don't get paid for,They expect you to be able to deliver 10 crates in 3mins as if your like some kind of octopus no joke the job is a joke.Last resort if you trying to keep a roof over urself.
Cons
Its wll a con
Comment – 16 February 2021
Terrible place to work don’t go there store may look clean but staff room is not .were working at Doncaster food warehouse for 14 month nice place to work but been blamed for money been taken out of till to cover managers back I suppose, just don’t blame staff I say when I first got the job I were promised 16 hours week then they put my hours down to 8 never did work 16hours Apauling management so moody looking felt so uncomfortable working here sometimes I were late a few times but when I arrived to work never once asked me if I were ok after slipping on ice only bothered about company targeting not health no customers been stopped for mask 😷 wearing either this has put me off working in retail my opinion didn’t matter at all after 3 disaplinarys manager should at least answer phone when u couldn’t get in had no mobile number to call either just don’t call me a liar like to me I were picked on all time oh there were favourites there who got more hours than others
Pros
Don’t go on sm they look through it called been nosey
Cons
To boring hours drag on
Comment – 16 February 2021
If you like being treated like a dog then go for it worst food retailer I have ever worked for.you have to work nearly every weekend and over night for count and change overs and they went you in the next morning even if you have only had a few hours sleep.
Pros
Cons
Way to may to list
Comment – 16 February 2021
Thank you for your feedback, your comments are important to us.It’s disappointing that you feel your experience did not meet with your expectations. We wish you all the very best for the future
When I started it seemed ok. Was busy and Christmas was coming. I had a24hr contact but I was timetabled more. As soon as Christmas passed and kids were at home again I need to cut my hours to my contacted 24 to provide child care etc. But my manager didn’t like this and was told I’m not flexible enough. (Had worked whatever was asked up until this point) so I’m afraid it seems they don’t give a stuff about you or your family. The job itself was very demanding. Little or no help what so ever even though the training videos told you otherwise. You had to start early if you wanted any chance of finishing on time. It seems there route planning system is dated and inaccurate giving you unrealistic delivery times of which sometimes instead of 10/12 you were going 15/16 in a two hour slot. The two hour slot consists of 15 minutes to load and 1.45 for your deliveries. Doesn’t take into account the before and after vehicle checks or unloading the crates. The vans were hit or miss constant engine faults. Doors flying open. But they would come out when called to do bodged repairs. Also at my store we had two vans but only one pda. if you didn’t get the van with the pda you had to use your mobile for sat nav. You wouldn’t have any customer numbers if there was a problem and then spend time trying to contact the store using your own data etc. Uniform wise I provided with some tshirts. Really suitable for the job NOT. No high vis no jacket/waterproof/fleece. I ended up ruining two of my own jackets/hoodies as I needed to wear more than a tshirt in freezing conditions Come on - more...
Pros
Discount cards
Cons
To many to list
Comment – 16 February 2021
Delivery driver: vehicle never loaded ready to take out deliveries, zero hours contract are unpredictable and one of the people in charge have no idea that sometimes you cannot work the hours due to being of over your benefits limit. They also have no concept of the Working Time Regulations and expect you to work 12 hours a day with no breaks for lunch. When you have a slight bump in your vehicle delivering customer orders they say it is a disciplinary but then tell you that you have to resign so you lose your job. I have years of Home Delivery experience with a large organisation and never been treated like this. Wouldnt work for this company ever again.
Pros
Non
Cons
Too many
Comment – 16 February 2021
If you want work life balance and to work in a place where you are bullied by area managers , join this company!No working balance Little reward Demotivating Demeaning
Pros
Cons
Long hours, bullying by area management
Comment – 16 February 2021
Iceland’s foods really do support there colleagues. Financially and in every way. Great management in my store. Frontline customer based. Dealing with an eclectic mix of issues on a daily basis
Pros
Fast pace.
Cons
Stressful at times
Comment – 16 February 2021
Thank you very much for your comments, your feedback is appreciated. It’s fantastic to hear that you are happy and feel rewarded for the job you do. Keep up the good work!
  1. Employee reviews