Iceland Foods

United Kingdom2,442 reviews

Found 2,442 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,529 reviews
deliverytillrotavanstockstorewhilstdiscount

Retail Assistant

-Unsociable Hours-Decent Pay-Get staff discount straight away-Sometimes not paid for overtime as it is not added on-Trained in other areas with little opportunity to then make use of those skills

Fast paced

A fast paced job, you need to be active. The area covered by delivery is not a big area which means lots of drops and not much distance driving between drops, so in bad weather you get soaked.

Insights into Iceland Foods

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Stressful

Before I joined Iceland I’d only heard good things about it, so was excited to start working there. However, my store was terrible to work in, very understaffed. Only one person per department, you were expected to break down a big delivery by yourself with minimal help, sometimes no help whatsoever. Oftentimes I couldn’t even take a break because I had far too much to do. My rotas were often changed without me being asked/informed. Overall wouldn’t recommend.

Just run away and don't look back.

Constantly under pressure, with long and heavy shifts, expect no breaks. With little, to no help provided. Pretty toxic work environment, by far the worst, personally.Unorganized and poor communication provided by management, a complete disaster. Everything is your fault, not theirs?

Would not recommend working for Iceland

Would not recommend anyone working for Iceland food. Very clicky and if you don't fit in your made to feel useless. Bullying by store management happens. Working extra hours happens alot and be lucky to be paid for it. Moral is low sickness is high.

A lot of Stress

It’s a beautiful morning, till you walk into work and all the staff are disheartened and have long faces because the management and work load has already gotten to them, because hours are being cut everywhere, making it harder to get everything done, then to try get through your shirt with little to no help on deliveries because what little staff there is, is trying to do their own jobs around the shop, while there is frozen deliveries defrosting in the front of the store, then to be moaned at by the management that you’ve only gotten 1 persons job done and not 3.

Streefull

Full of stress they give you 4 hours Job each 2 hour slots they give you 10 deliveries to do how would u manage to do 10 deliveries in 2 hours where within that 2 hours you have to load the van check the van which takes around 40 minutes and than come back and unload the van this normally takes around 3 hours but they are so greedy wants to save money makes you come earlier which they don’t even pay you a lot of work for driver poor stressful job and worse customers order 10 bottles of water and all Havey stuff which you have to take to flats where no lift and customer doesn’t even help and they blame on drivers for everything ovoid this company to work for. Also you can even go to shop and buy drink. Worse company to work for as a driver.

Pros

Cons

Stressful

It's simply okay.

The people who I worked with were a mixed bag, the overall mood was influenced by the boss. Gave me lots of hours which I appreciate but the work culture was toxic for me, with the boss and nobody else caring for what I wanted to do outside the job, such as education or actually having a life outside of school and work. Gave me the same pay like everybody else despite working there when I was 16 to 18 but other than that It was average.

Awful atmosphere, zero benefits

Low wages, no sick pay, holiday days don't accrue, half assed training, no regular schedule, hours spread over many days as super short shifts, no feeling of respect or value from management/corporate, zero team mentality. Just overall grim. They also refuse to do anything about problem staff so at least you have job security but prepare for daily yelling matches between staff members.

Pros

I'll get back to you on that one...

Cons

good

it was good and i really enjoy working on the end and stuff so nice that we went back in bed and got a shot at it all and i went back in the last few days of

Good job

Have no idea what it would be like to work for the company now but I enjoyed it when I was there. Good company good staff and good products for a good pri

Overpaid management,underpaid everyone else

Really not sure how Iceland are ever voted a good place to work. They pay minimum wage or a pound over for delivery drivers and offer only 7.5 or 12 hour contracts. And you certainly are pressurised by the supervisors and management with them insisting that you deal with home deliveries, constant replenishment and going on the checkouts every five minutes. It also seems to be frowned upon if you want your unpaid break.Online job training was tedious and mostly irrelevant via Nexus. Also was only paid for some of the time spent completing it. Because management are never moved on each store becomes their own little kingdom. Customers are mostly decent, and understanding of the endless mispricing of goods. Definitely wouldn't recommend unless you're a bored teenager and even they don't last long

Very friendly staff and management . Great work / home life balance . Career opportunities . Social events and staff discount . Sick pay and a save as you earn scheme

Unfair work place

Internal management roles should be offered equally and fairly to all staff, especially to staff who have proof that their training had already started, and especially to those who on regular basis take the lead working on their own initiative and always go above and beyond. Staff should be given equal amounts of hours per week, and extra shifts should be offered to all staff equally and fairly. Being multi skilled, being flexible as in working days and nights, or having 100% attendance doesn't count for anything.

Ridiculous Expectations

A ridiculous amount of pressure for a minimum wage job. Regularly expected to go weeks at a time without a single day off, with the constant threat that your hours will be cut to the bare minimum if you turn down shifts. Cashiers are expected to work stock as well as the till, prompting abuse from impatient customers. The only way to make up enough hours to afford the cost of living is to take the 3 hour shifts every day and do split shifts. The rota gets changed at the last minute, often with no warning. Drivers are expected to come in an hour early, for no extra pay, just to be able to complete all their deliveries on time. Management foster a toxic culture among staff to get them to compete for hours, which are repeatedly slashed by head office. Fewer and fewer staff on the shop floor all the time making the place a goldmine for shop lifters.All for the worst pay rate of any supermarket in the UK.

Relaxed atmosphere and friendly

I enjoyed working at Iceland foods. The management team was good, and it had a relaxed atmosphere with friendly banter between staff. At the time that I worked there, the pay wasn't based on age.

Awful

So stressful with all shoplifters etc, and constantly having to compete for any hours. It’s not worth turning up for the 4 hour shifts either I did split shifts morning then lates just to get enough hours.

Great team and management

Anyone above store management level does not have a clue.They expect you to still do the role as a team leader but have stopped paying the team leader pay. They think you will do this for minimum wage because you love the job. You are seen as a number and you can be easily replaced.

Not bad

Not bad being a van driver. Sometimes the day can be busy but it's not too bad, some good days and some bad days but I suppose you get that in any job.

pretty good

it was good, pay was okay....management and supervisors are pretty noice, but sometimes shifts can be a tiny bit boring...........work life balance was very good because of flexible jobs, recommended if you are a student!

Pros

good oay

Cons

nothing

Official response from Iceland Foods

22 June 2022
We are so happy to hear that you enjoy your role with Iceland. We pride ourselves on providing a supportive and friendly working environment and appreciate all your hard work.

Stressful and Unwelcoming

It was a decent place when a certain set of staff were there but they've all left, now staff pretty much rotate through new staff. No one who starts there wants to continue working there. Customers are incredibly rude, Managment make most people feel uncomfortable and hated, if you work extra you're never actually paid for it since its never added onto your schedule, training is done online but never really given much of it in store which would help others, if they deem you 'slow' or 'unhelpful' your dumped on the til with no chance to do anything else until close and nothing is ever done about any of this stuff

Pros

Discount

Cons

Staff/Management, Lack of pay for extra work

Official response from Iceland Foods

22 June 2022
It’s disappointing to hear you are experiencing these issues in store. As a business we take all feedback seriously and we would encourage you to raise your concerns directly with your management team, or Talking Shop rep. In addition, as a current employee you have access to myHR Support, which you can access via Nexus, where you will find useful information on how to escalate your concerns further should this be necessary.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iceland Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement