IHS Markit

IHS Markit Employee Reviews

United Kingdom42 reviews

peoplegoodplacemanagementworkinggreatjobwork

Good experience but stressful

The experience I developed at IHS Markit was invaluable, and the culture promotes self-starters and those willing to step up and take control of situations, but make no mistake--it is a stressful place to work and the significant layer of upper-middle managers are often of mixed quality, giving it a somewhat chaotic feeling.

Fantastic place to work for me

Unfortunately, I was made redundant. I miss my job so much. I miss my colleagues and my work. It was the best job I have ever had. I have another job now, but find myself feeling critical of the way they do things because I feel I was able to do things so much better at IHS Markit.

Pros

Cons

Redundancy

Insights into IHS Markit

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Inconsistent

Due to the numerous acquisitions over the years, the company isn't well integrated. There is much jockeying for positions among mid-level managers, so it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. The top-level vision is well communicated in town halls and the like, but the execution gets lost by the top-heavy management structure. A lack of proper investment in some software products has led to the loss of business, prospects, and even employees to competitors over the last couple of years.

Pros

Some teams work well with each other

Cons

Lack of meaningful communication

A fun and rewarding place to work.

This was possibly the best job I ever had. Indeed the years at IHS Market were my most enjoyable from a professional point of view. Only the lack of career progression opportunities lead to my moving on after several very happy years.

Pros

Free breakfast

Cons

Long hours plus office based working

Really incredible corporate culture

It will depend on your department and what role you are doing but there is a lot on offer not only benefits but holistically and opportunities to learn too. It is what you make of it.

Pros

Progressive company culture

Cons

Development will depend on your skills

Tread carefully

Company has great opportunities however, you have to be in the click, if you're not you won't get promoted. The CEO is very short but HR isn't the best.

Productive and fun workplace

Productive and fun workplace. Good work/life balance and excellent job security. Flexible and remote working benefits. Overall a good company to work for.

Good if you want to learn

Good if you want to learn. Work life balance is OK. It is best place if you want to come to company just to work. Don't expect anything else regarding any fun activities at work.

Friendly workplace

The managers are very friendly and kind, work and life balance is very good. People are relaxed compare to London but also deliver high standard products.

slow

no chance to advance you career and management does not help develop personal skills. Work is not valued and management will do everything they can to ensure it is difficult for you to be recognised.

Job was ok, management was not great

The job itself was never a problem. Management has changed constantly in the 3 years I was there. It went from a very enjoyable place to work to a very dull, not well management place.

Good employer as IHS

Loved the job and fabulous people to work with - strongest asset of the company. Benefits and working surroundings great, good management and community involvement. Only place I know where the CEO comes over to meet every new acquisition - impressed by him. But profits and share price rule and when there is a new broom there are usually cuts !!!! Sorry to leave.

A different company after the merger

Poor management Poor communication from senior leaders. The company has lost its culture due to the multiple mergers & takeovers over recent years. Cheap

Nice work life balance but low salary

Salaries and career progress vary across departments, with some departments being very political in terms of promotion and huge discrepancies across similar roles. Don't see this company attracting more talent until this issue is solved - most of my colleagues are actively looking for other jobs due to the increasing frustration of seeing their career stagnating because merit isn't taken into account when promoting people

Interesting - never a dull moment

I enjoyed working for this company for twenty years, I learnt so much especially in IT and Product Management. The only reason for leaving was to have a work life balance.

Pros

Working from home

Cons

Long hours, commuting and travelling

Very modern stunning offices. Lots of company perks.

When you visit the offices (3 floors), many people seem unhappy. No-one really speaks much. Lot of virtual work going on so its hard to actually speak to someone on the phone unless you log a ticket., which doesn't solve instant queries.

Pros

Modern design of offices and a great company cafe.

Cons

People dont smile much. Seem far to serious.

Good pay, poor job security

It's a good place to work while you're employed there, but they are far too willing to make employees redundant to save money. For a business whose capital is human, it shows scant regard for its people, and is more willing to satisfy shareholders' aggressive growth demands.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Job security

A great place to work

A great place to work - ever growing and exciting place to work, with many different sectors covered, from Defence and Aviation to Automotive and Energy

A bit tedious

The company offers a good work/life balance, although reflected in compensation. I find that people lack ambition and most jobs are not very challenging, which makes the daily routine quite boring ..! Although there is a wide range of services/products offered, it doesn't seem easy to move from one team to another.

So much potential

An amazing company with so many hidden gems and outstanding people. But it can be difficult to feel like you make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Challenging

Most of my days would be spent in meetings with different stakeholders with little time to do the work required. There is progression within the company but payrises are sparse and pay generally lower than average, the benefits package is very good though. The culture is very stakeholder orientated with little expenditure on anything that may affect this. The people I would work with make the job enjoyable but the lack of commitment to colleagues is hard to get past

Pros

Excellent benefits

Cons

Focussed on Shareholders

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IHS Markit. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare IHS Markit with

Learn about IHS Markit in popular locations

• IHS Markit
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?