IKEA

Found 1,119 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,762 reviews
canteensubsidisedrotaprogressioncheapchristmasdiscountpattern

Culture & Values makes IKEA more than just a workplace

Featured review

IKEA selected this as a representative review
When you are a part of this company you feel a strong sense of togetherness across the organisation and functions. This is a value-driven company with a culture that encourages collaboration and innovation across the organisation. The reason why I joined this company is because of the culture and the bigger IKEA purpose of creating a better everyday life for the many. You can see and feel this purpose in the big initiatives connected to sustainability and to be an employer that cares about people and planet. It could be anything from having a proactive approach to equal pay, to having staff benefits that makes life easier outside work. I think what's unique about IKEA is that you can actually feel the vision and the "bigger picture" no matter what function you belong to. In IKEA I feel that I can fully be myself at work and be surrounded by diverse and great colleagues. We encourage each other to challenge ourselves and to learn and grow without the fear of making mistakes. I have worked in 2 different countries in IKEA and although they are very different the culture and the inclusiveness is the same. Being a big retailer there is a lot of career paths and growth opportunities in various parts. I feel encouraged by my manager to have an active development plan and to take responsibility for my learning and development with the support from leaders. Like any other job, every day has its challenges and ups and downs but I feel that there is a strong foundation for me to grow and develop.

Many improvements needed

I have worked there for almost 4 years and I'm still feeling like I waste so much time overthere. The management is absolutely awful, absent from their duties. No matter how well your are doing your job you can't evolve if you are not good friend with management team who promote just their friends. The management will take care of you to feel the pressure of targets everyday. Overall I don't recommend this job unless you need some quick money.

Pros

Good canteen food and clean place to work

Cons

Unprofessional management, pressure on targets achievement, nepotism in the workplace with friends

Insights into IKEA

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues

Much fun

A good work team managers and higher end able to listen and get things done Always happy to helpLots of benefits from the company It’s a large organisation

Shame

Pay could be a lot better. Top company but can't take care of their own co-workers. Loads off skilled staff has left in recent times as their work has not been recognised

Fun and challenging

Great people to work with very proactive in developing their staff, great benefits as well. It is not the most rewarding work but if you apply yourself and work hard they will support you in anyway they can

Work-Life Balance/Very Flexible

Whatever hours and days you need, they will try to work round it. Best company to accommodate specific availability and best benefits too! Christmas presents, bonuses and celebration vouchers are the best!

Good in overall

A good place to work, but your working mood depends on the managers. The job is not difficult, based on both fact-based and sense. System is supporting the job well.

Pros

Great culture, fair pay, friendly environment, job opportunities to Sweden

Cons

Some managers have micro management, and request things which are not down to the earth.

Electrical role within Com in (interior design department).A great team to work for installing lighting designs to room sets and displays throughout the store.

Poor management

Nice colleagues difficult, untrained and ineffective management. Salary was average, expectations average. Poorly run and in need of a new set of leaders.

Pros

Discount

Long Hours, Tough Managers

It seems like a good place to work till you sort hours and holidays. You can’t have more than 2 weeks holiday between 1st July and end of August even if you have the hours to use. Have to work at least 4 days a week if you’re part time! No work-life balance. If i’m on 12 hours I want to be in 2 days a week but they put you super short shifts across 4 days. Everyone has to do 4 days, have to work weekends, get one weekend off a month, anymore and you have to use your holiday for it. Management are extremely clicky, so many dirty looks from them. If you don’t have the right face you won’t fit in, won’t be able to progress unless you’re fake and suck up to them. You make complains and suggestions and they’re fake to you saying they’ll look at things and never do. The only thing i rate is the inclusiveness but as they brag about it so much it makes you question if they really do care or just want the attention that they’re an “inclusive employer” in a competitive market where employee turnaround is abysmal.

Pros

Not many

Cons

Long days, long hours, weeks are Sunday-Saturday so you can work 6 days a week in the end.

Welcoming but can be fairly stressfull

Like I said in the title the management are all amazing and welcoming as are the co workers but at times the job can be fairly stressful and you can fell like you've been swamped with tasks to do but this does usually make it go quicker and you will have a lot of support.

Great job, improvements in management

The job itself is great! Would go Back if i could. My issue was not enough pay for small contract and failed to get higher contract. After covid I was dependent on overtime which was scrapped for a period of time.Over all great work place, pays good, great food, alright hours, management picks favourites but it’s bearable.

Fun, kind workplace

I really enjoyed working in Ikea, I made so many lifelong friends and my manager was very kind and understanding. They allowed me to prioritise my education and work my shifts around it. They actually care about you, every month they give you space to give feedback on how you are feeling about work, the manager and how your mental health has been. You get Christmas and Easter gifts, and the pay is good, every student loves a bit of pocket money! :) I highly recommend choosing IKEA as your place of work.

Pros

free vegetrain lunch, fruits and drinks (coffee, cola, hot chocolate etc.)

Cons

Same tasks in every shift :/ have to make some work besties to get through them

A good environment

A good friendly environment which is supportive to its staff. A good experience. Staff are treat fairly and with respect. Younger staff are treat equally. Good pay and benefits.

Warehouse

Great company Poor pay Would recommend but the pay does not match up with other companies Good management/ team leaders Just needs more choices of growth

Employer treat employees like people

While I worked during a stressful time (yay 2020) Ikea was a nice place to work. The store was clean, and well lit, my fellow coworkers were kind and inclusive. The managers could be pretentious at times, but overall it was a calm place to work.

Terrible

Wouldn't recommend in the slightest better places to work that appreciate it. Be good for a student that's about it's. I'd look elsewhere if possible

Pros

Going home

Cons

Quite fun to work at but under pressure at times

The work culture was quite good and I never felt judged in the way I worked. The only thing was that the job was very demanding and they had high expectations for things. One thing was that they sometimes let off people doing a bad job and instead blamed you for it.

Pros

Cheap lunches and Teamwork was good

Cons

Demanding at times

Decent wage for students, poor working environment with managers

The company used to be excellent and then the founder died and the company lost its ethos. It’s just another retail shop with prices to match and no longer individual and quirky like it used to be. Very much a company with if you’re face fits you’ll do well and be promoted. The managers don’t care about the staff and expect too much from you. They employ 17 year olds that just want a bit of extra cash and not a career and treat them as if they actually care, when they obviously don’t. Very much just a number and not actually supported. It’s a really easy job once you get the hang of it though and there’s some mint co workers that will really make your shifts enjoyable.

Pros

Decent wage, decent discount on food, good coworkers

Cons

Poor management, lack of individuality, lack of fair development

Poor treatment from manager and work with lots of kids

Main staff experience is raising kidsPeople promoted into management aren't necessarily good at managingNo recourse for employees against poor treatment from managerNo repercussions for being a manager that treats people poorlyNeed to show higher-ups that they're "doing something" to ensure team is producingFear and insecurity about issues created by underlings being blamed on themPoor treatment produces results in some cases

Fun Work Place

The job itself was enjoyable and staff were great, the area that was lacking is the managers they don’t tend to help if they don’t have to. Weekends can be stressful as managers would never put on enough staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement