IKEA

United Kingdom1,165 reviews

Found 1,165 reviews matching the searchSee all 10,155 reviews
canteensubsidisedrotaprogressioncheapchristmasdiscountpattern

Draining and insane

The job changes on a weekly basis,And new knowledge dished out.The knowledge core is so vast; but ikea only pay you the smallest sum possible. In my case I get paid the same as a coffee barista, yet I have extensive knowledge in kitchens

Insights into IKEA

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks

Poor Management skills

The most stressfully place to work without a proper management structure in place! A receptionist is acting as GM, inexperienced Manager try to make a good impression getting involved in different areas. They already lost part of the management

Horrendous Work Place

The worst place I have ever worked in my life. The Managers are clicky and useless, do absolutely nothing yet think they do everything. So much pressure to perform yet you’re only paid the same as everyone else. Constant pressure, can never have a bad day as you’ll lose reputation. Found certain co workers to be vile, if you’ve been there less than them they always look down on you. IKEA thinks it’s a good company because they offer free things but a company shouldn’t have to do that to look good. Always bang on about values and togetherness but you actually just get spoke about behind your back. The way the staff obsess over it reminds me of a cult. Don’t even look at ever joining IKEA, mentally, it is draining.

Pros

free food i guess

Cons

long hours, rubbish structure, always feel less than.

Horrible place to work

It’s a terrible place to work like a modern day workhouse, I was exhausted all the time,i have still got problems with my back from heavy lifting i worked at the Leeds store .Some of the staff have worked together for years from the time they started and help each other into management .No opportunity’s unless you know someone in management, they look after themselves .Managers are friends or related .I was bullied, HR are friends of Managers they work for Managers ,they don’t help you . I had to have Counciling when I left the company from bullying.I would say to anyone run a mile don’t work here lots of other places to work

Terrible

Terrible just a horrible place with incompetent managers. Literally felt like a high school playground as opposed to a professional place of work. Bullying is highly common here

Worst place to work in

Nepotism, character assassination, blame culture, unprofessional, bickering, back stabbing etc. I would not recommend either my family or friends to work at IKEA Sheffield. Not even a dog. Worst place I, ve ever worked in.

Pros

Cons

As explained above

Pathetic company

This place is a joke. Managers look down on you I disgust most of the time. You are basically on minimum wage while the managers are on £50000 a year.

Not satisfied

While I was working at IKEA in Peterborough I felt like I was getting stressed a lot of the time because of you need help you very rarely get it and when you do it can take weeks. I also feel that the management think less of the English people there and I am not the only one to be made to feel this way. Not satisfied and not a good place to work.

Very toxic place to work with a “if your face fits” mentality rather than if you’re actually good at your job.

In a company that prides itself on equality and no hierarchy in the workplace it’s absolutely disgusting. Managers have Ridiculous expectations from co workers, and only if you’re a yes man or your face fits will you succeed in this company. If you’ve ever heard jokingly that ikea is a bit like a cult- it’s 100% true.

Stressful place

When I left job they did not return my deposit they just blame on me that you broke a door of customer house but we did not broke a door they were blaming on us because they want our money.

Pros

Extra round but don’t pay

Cons

Overtime but don’t pay

Awful

Awful dont bother they don't care about you will pretend to, dont care about mental health issues or customers in general. They dont care if they keep your money and youre left with nothing but expect coworkers to deal with the shouting.

Fake Place of Culture

this Place is Fake about culture which talking about the big corporation using people, they just want profits , managment always smilling for the game looks like school for children free meal and big rotation of people because they not respecting people

Pros

free meal

Cons

managment, team leaders, culture

Horrible place to work

Absolutely horrible place to work, you don't feel like u can trust anyone, no one listens to you when you are being bullied by a manager so I was forced to change my job, I become very ill with anxiety and depression soon as I left there I felt a big weight off my shoulders and found my happy place again personly if u can handle this then go for the job. But don't say I didn't warn you.

Pros

You get fake friends you dont have to worry about when u leave

Cons

Co workers will do anything to go against you

Not recommend

The Store management very poor. They have no idea what they doing. The other manager no communication no knowledge. Only promotion when you friend or family.

Pros

Nice co workers

Cons

Terrible managmrnt

The awful everyday

I worked at IKEA for a number of years and the culture of the entire company changed after the founder died. They expect you to go above and beyond for the buisness at the expense of yourself and your wellbeing. Instead of actually helping staff in need, the virtue signal and call themselves champions of mental health all the while putting more and more pressure on their staff. This horrible atmosphere had only been made worse by the pandemic and I was constantly made to feel unsafe while working. Make sure you dont suffer from any long time illness or mental health problems because you will be penalized because of it.

Pros

Subsidised meals

Cons

Staggered hours, poor management, bullying

Zero progression, Sneaky Management, Terrible pay.

What once was a great company seems to have sadly lost its way, the amount of experienced, professional and passionate workers that IKEA Belfast has let walk away is somewhat bizzare. It is very clear you are a number and are easily replaced no matter how many years you have gave to the company. Over paid Upper management (known as the steering team) are doing little steering apart from promoting their favourites and looking out for each other and letting the underpaid floor workers work in stressful environments. Sales workers are asked to stretch themselves resulting in poor customer service. Zero progression (unless you are a favourite) Experience is not matched and what you find is that a new part time coworker who doesn't really care about the company is getting paid the same amount as an experienced, passionate and knowledgeable employee-ultimately resulting in coworkers getting agitated and taking their skills elsewhere. From my experience there seems to be a lot of ill feeling throughout all departments. I would advise investing your time in a company that see your value, help you progress and respect you accordingly. Oh and another thing forget about the bonus-it might as well not exist yet they still sell this as something you will receive when being interviewed

Pros

Bonus..... O wait it doesn't exist

Bullied out of work, lack of support with issues at work, double standards depending on ethnic background, forced out of a job due to manipulative tactics. Good luck.

Working as a Designer at IKEA

I started working for IKEA a year ago with a Degree and Masters in the field I was working in but I was getting paid the same as the people at IKEA who stack the shelves who required no responsibility. Once I started my boss left within a month leaving me in charge of my job area. I had to attend an operation and was not treated fairly. Due to my operation, I had to take a week and two days off (doctor recommended), but as a result, I was no longer able to have a sick day for the rest of the year due to their sick score scheme. I was told if I was sick I would have to take it as holiday. My manager in charge of me then changed a further 3 times in the space of a year. In the end, I had to leave because the workload kept increasing and I wasn't given any extra help. I also felt that it didn't matter how hard I worked they still did not appreciate me. Do not work for this company! Despite what their values state, they do not care about their workers.

Cons

Sick score that does not cater to operations, management that constantly changes, qualifications do not count for anything at IKEA.

Not a good company

IKEA is not a very good company to work for one person does 3 people's job's when it's busy they do not put extra staff on shift's and you are still expected to do everything. Some of the manager's are really nice and are fair to there co worker's but most of them are horrible and enjoy the power trip they get putting co worker's on rubbish shift's all time. If you want a life outside work do not work ffor ikea

Poor Staff Moral

What a miserable excuse for a job. Bulling is popular amongst management and staff conditions are very poor. Always understaffed and overworked. Wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare IKEA with

• IKEA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?