Imperial College London

Insights into Imperial College London

What people like
  • Energising work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to learn new things

Overall good experience

Difficult to evaluate because it was all very different due to COVID-19. It was a good experience overall, interesting poject, but very very unstable (due to fixed-term contract).

Awesome place to work at!

Awesome place to work at. There is a lot of work-life balance. You are able to get involved in fun activities around the campus and meet new people. Internal training programs are also very helpful for new staff members.

Pros

Salary, London living

Cons

Pressure of publishing papers, line manager can get aggressive at times.

Supportive environment.

You can get any help you want when you are working with the top talents in research area. People are nice here and make you feel your career is going somewhere.

Competitive but you learn a lot

It is a very competitive environment and you will surely overwork - no doubt about it. However, you have the possibility to work with very clever people and boost your CV. Salary and especially pension are quite good to be a university.

Supportive, happy working environment

Good work/ life balance.Supportive line management.A varied role where the people you speak to are polite and friendly. A rewarding job as you can offer support and advice, daily.

Really great work culture but..

I really enjoyed my time at Imperial and would stay if I could but there’s very few permanent opportunities arising and when they do it’s very tough competition due to the name.

Pros

Great environment, great benefits, great work life balance, great dress code

Cons

A lot of redundancies in different teams, not a lot of perm contracts, hard interview process

Not fun workplace. A lot of old timers get away with doing the bare minimum

Senior Management turns on you as soon as you raise issues with your workload.If you’re young and attractive you would have more promotion opportunities.

Pros

Flexi working hours

Productive and fun workplace

A good place to start your career. On-site cafe. No smoking within the campus. Lots of helpful benefits and pension is great. You should interview. Good luck

Stressful and result-oriented workplace

Academic research is done with a laser focus on the outcome and results, with less resources invested in training student researchers' aptitude and perspectives

Working in silos

Work/life balance is on point, however there isn't a variety of projects to work on. You are limited to working on projects in the same product line. Working in silos is the norm which makes work quite dull; lack of motivation.

Good place to work. Friendly place and everyone is helpful. They can mess up your salary sometimes but apart from that it is an ok place to work. There is job ssecurity too.

Micro managers

I used to work in ICT and it was great but when ICT changed it was awful.The level of micro management was unbelievable you were better off doing nothing - less likely to get told off.

Pros

Makes other jobs afterwards look good

Cons

People who can only just turn on a PC manage IT staff

productive and fun workplace

one of the best job sites where I feel completely comfortable, for the values, respect, equality, and great opportunities it offers is Imperial College London.

Pros

Oportunities

it's a good job, the can get stressful sometimes but it is mostly just a fast-paced workspace, you have a team to work with and everything goes by well. it has nothing special about it but no cons either.

Imperial College Hammersmith Campus is not a great place to work

The environment is not research staff friendly and the facilities you get for your research depends on how rich your lab is. There is hardly any shared equipment. They don't care for their employees. You won't feel a sense of community and the HR system is super slow with a lot of bureaucracy. Most of the postdocs there are frustrated and stuck at the same position for years.The location of the Hammersmith campus is really bad there is nothing nearby and it's not safe at night. The labs are not well maintained. If you are joining as a researcher you will end up doing a lot of admin work. The professors and senior leaders are not approachable at all. The environment is not friendly and is rather hostile (if your PI is great then you might be better off).

Best professional experience so far

Although a maternity cover contract, this was without a doubt the year I grew most professionally. I had everything I needed to further develop my skills and learn new ones: access to courses online, paid courses and a huge variety of evening classes that the college offers. Also, great staff all around me, my manager was also extremely supportive and everyone else across the college more than helpful and welcoming with any queries I had. There is a big culture of personal growth and support (at least in the department I worked in). There are also a lot of opportunities for different roles across faculty and departments, in my case I've had to relocate out of London so missed on some.

Pros

Lots of shops, cafes and food places around the campus. A weekly farmer's market as well.

Varied work

Working to deliver world class teaching and research it is rewarding to be a part of a world leading organisation. My role has a variety of aspects that keep it interesting and engaging.

Friendly environment

Nationality and friendly people. Work day is relaxing and flexible to start early or late completing 7.5 hours daily with 1 hour lunch. The company give opportunity to learn about robotics, mechanical, electrical and electronic, and software engineering projects. Management need a little bit more organising but due to the complex of the project is not bad at all. Friendly group go to do social drink after work.

Excellent employer

Firm but fair, although the work load differs greatly from post to post, on the whole there is an appreciation for all employees. Focus is on education and research, all roles support this.

Active, busy and fun workplace

The interview was simple yet effective, same with the training. Every day while working, there would be something that could come up, but your team would always help to sort it with you. Another avenue to improve ya social skills and work as a team. There is a lot of camaraderie throughout all levels and it is a safe place to work.

A place for creative and ambitious scientists

Top-quality science, friendly staff, great collaborations, teaching opportunities, excellent facilities...truly a place for creative and ambitious scientists. Such a positive experience was also enabled by the head of my group. The main problem (generally in academia) is lacking the permanent positions for postdocs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Imperial College London. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement