Imperial College London

Imperial College London Employee Reviews

one of the best job sites where I feel completely comfortable, for the values, respect, equality, and great opportunities it offers is Imperial College London.
Pros
Oportunities
it's a good job, the can get stressful sometimes but it is mostly just a fast-paced workspace, you have a team to work with and everything goes by well. it has nothing special about it but no cons either.
The environment is not research staff friendly and the facilities you get for your research depends on how rich your lab is. There is hardly any shared equipment. They don't care for their employees. You won't feel a sense of community and the HR system is super slow with a lot of bureaucracy. Most of the postdocs there are frustrated and stuck at the same position for years.The location of the Hammersmith campus is really bad there is nothing nearby and it's not safe at night. The labs are not well maintained. If you are joining as a researcher you will end up doing a lot of admin work. The professors and senior leaders are not approachable at all. The environment is not friendly and is rather hostile (if your PI is great then you might be better off).
Although a maternity cover contract, this was without a doubt the year I grew most professionally. I had everything I needed to further develop my skills and learn new ones: access to courses online, paid courses and a huge variety of evening classes that the college offers. Also, great staff all around me, my manager was also extremely supportive and everyone else across the college more than helpful and welcoming with any queries I had. There is a big culture of personal growth and support (at least in the department I worked in). There are also a lot of opportunities for different roles across faculty and departments, in my case I've had to relocate out of London so missed on some.
Pros
Lots of shops, cafes and food places around the campus. A weekly farmer's market as well.
Cons
Working to deliver world class teaching and research it is rewarding to be a part of a world leading organisation. My role has a variety of aspects that keep it interesting and engaging.
Nationality and friendly people. Work day is relaxing and flexible to start early or late completing 7.5 hours daily with 1 hour lunch. The company give opportunity to learn about robotics, mechanical, electrical and electronic, and software engineering projects. Management need a little bit more organising but due to the complex of the project is not bad at all. Friendly group go to do social drink after work.
Firm but fair, although the work load differs greatly from post to post, on the whole there is an appreciation for all employees. Focus is on education and research, all roles support this.
The interview was simple yet effective, same with the training. Every day while working, there would be something that could come up, but your team would always help to sort it with you. Another avenue to improve ya social skills and work as a team. There is a lot of camaraderie throughout all levels and it is a safe place to work.
Top-quality science, friendly staff, great collaborations, teaching opportunities, excellent facilities...truly a place for creative and ambitious scientists. Such a positive experience was also enabled by the head of my group. The main problem (generally in academia) is lacking the permanent positions for postdocs.
Surrounded by very motivated individuals in a very dynamic environment. Everyone shares a common passion for science and this is why it makes you feel you are in a special place.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Imperial College London?
Truly had an amazing time in a Imperial College London in their Global Summer school. It was really interesting to learn more about engineering and meet people from around the world. I loved being able to interact with Imperial College students and professors.
There are lots of people keen and at the start of their careers. The atmosphere is fun and lots of ways for staff to engage across all sites. Great support offered.
As a PhD student I've always received good supervision. My day is long and hard, but I enjoy working here. Imperial College London are demanding, so it can be stressful.
I’m happy to have good experiences at Imperial college as Floor Supervisor.Weekend was paying more.All staff was friendly and friendly.I can recommend to everyone to work there.
I learnt various skills as an engineer and experienced lots of interesting events. This is the best place for me to learn and apply knowledge into projects.
During 6 years at Imperial, I have learnt a lot of skills: multitasking, working to meet deadlines. The hardest part was to adjust to everyone's work habits. The best part is to be engaged into different projects.
In this role I learnt a number of key skills needed to upgrade myself as a productive and efficient test Analyst as data is key in this environment. Typical tasks through my day to day work include working on my task and working within a team. This position taught me the importance of punctuality, teamwork and communication within the workplace.
Held responsibility positions for 3 societies during my time at Imperial. Great support from the union staff and any of my questions were always answered promptly
Good culture, good atmosphere, nice location. Well funded and equipped but management wise it lacks a bi. Research wise they are very highly regarded and ranked.
Supportive senior staff. Great place for ground breaking research. Opportunities to develop and progress. Friendly and supportive culture. You never leave.
Very good research culture. Flexible working hour, but competitive working load. Has good collative culture and very smart colleagues. Very good platform to grow expertise.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
too busy