Inverclyde Council

Inverclyde Council Employee Reviews

Only real downside is pay is lower compared to other surrounding authorities. You are supported well and encouraged by mangers and other Tema members. Varied day to day is a benefit and an opportunity to learn different methods.
Pros
Great team, brilliant workife, chance to develop skills from others, support
Cons
Pay
My time at the council was enjoyable, colleagues were always very nice and helpful, management were supportive and the environment was good. There always seemed to be room for progression and the salary was great.
Pros
Flexible hours and public holidays off
Cons
Air conditioning not great
A good employer, fair to its staff. Public sector, so no in-kind benefits, no help with professional fees, and, through the erosion of training budgets over the past 20 years, very little worthwhile training offered to staff other than for soft-skills (fire safety, lifting and handling...).
Pros
Generally a fair employer, with a strong ethos of caring for its employees.
Cons
A slowly eroding remuneration package, that hasn't kept apace of any inflation measure over more than a decade, which is largely under central government control.
Working for inverclyde council is very good with lots of up to date training courses provided. Really good salary and great holidays. Full uniform jacket and trousers provided.
Pros
Rates of pay
Cons
Full driving licence required for a various positions.
Local free parking , good selection of projects , handy flexitime for work staff , supportive managers. Mainly office based but good site location nearby to manage the Project for the 20 weeks construction
As a breakfast club team member I was responsible for the daily preparation and cleaning of the area where kids attended for breakfast. Short hours, friendly environment and colleagues.
Using mashenary cutting grass brushes eye, keeping areas tidy, driving works van, plus be polite to the public,we are giving a wide range of tasks which I do at my best abilities, you
Great place to work learned many skills on the job and the envirorment was relaxed management where approachable if you needed help the overall experience was great
Pros
relaxed enviorment
Cons
Most of the men & apprentice all work well together As a team and all customers weir very happy with the work of every individual man & apprentice so as a council they had the every one interest at heart was there for over 12 years before leaving and working for my self employed joiner builder
I didn't stay long, but my manager was super, looked after the department as best she could and would do anything for her staff, even if the staff didn't see it. Not all managers were like this, but mine was a star. Watch out if you are on sick; HR will demand lengthy, regular meetings with you to "discuss your termination" irrespective of how far away you live. It's a brutal department, make sure you are in a union or have a solicitor on your side for advice. It was a temp position and only part time with very little room for more hours (although my manager did what she could), I couldn't live off the national minimum wage they were paying me so had to move. Excellent prospects of getting another job within the council while you are in and they actually encourage progression, it is about who you know, so if you are an outsider then you'll find it difficult to make headway. Most people I worked with were lovely and very expressive, but I think that was the ethos of the department, a lot of the long term staff were quite miserable but stayed for the pension, making for a cliquey, harsh office environment. The council take forever to make a decision about anything, so if you go in with good ideas, don't expect them to jump, most of the time the situation has passed before they acknowledge it, so don't hold your breath. Overall a good company to work for if you are prepared to work hard and fit in, but don't forget that the council run 95% of Inverclyde, so for employers in that area you don't really have much choice.
Pros
Some management actually care about the dept and the staff
Cons
HR. Evil department. Oh, and the constant rain.
Enjoyable and fast paced environment with lots of good training and support. Never a full day and time goes in very quickly. Electronic systems very efficient.
Pros
Good lunch breaks
Cons
it was an amazing place to work as it was a rewarding job and I was able to work and meet my targets. I was the youngest in my work place and for some reasons I did not get along with the management.
Pros
great jonb
Cons
bad management
A typical day would vary, involving prisoner contact, through the use of one to one interviews; Integrated Case Management Meetings, Risk Management Meeting or Initial Assessments for new prisoners to the establishment. I worked with a small female team, being new to this experience, i initially thought this was a positive and genuine working environment; this turned out not to be the case with the usual in house arguments with female colleagues, who either liked to gossip or just generally stabbed you in the back; hence no harmony within this workplace.
Pros
Family friendly office
Cons
all female work place, did not experience a positive environment
Ok place to work 12 hours shift pattern very challenging client base very rewarding working in the community learning more and more each day experiencing challenging circumstances
Great company to work for very understanding employer's and everywhere I have worked there has been a grt team of people and bosses have been really great
I ENJOYES THE VARUETY OF WORK ANT THE PEOPLE I WORKED WITH. On the job training was supervised and adequate. I learned how to use various machinery and cut various plots of grass land to publice and private standards.
Pros
close to home
Cons
hot weather
Typical day i would start by cleaning toilets and follow on by cleaning tables and hoovering classrooms then i would buff the corridors and the canteen floors. In this job they trained me to use the buffer. Manegment were really helpfull also colleges really good to work with and helpfull. Using the buffer is probably the hardest and thr easiest is clearing up to finish the day.
Pros
holidays
Cons
not paid during summer holidays
Set up for 50 kids give them there breakfast clean up after them .making sure that they are eating breakfast before they start school.start at 7.30am finish at 9.30.
Pros
Get a lot of holidays.
Cons
short hours
Interaction with the children was good fun. I was also aware of my responsibility to ensure the children were safe. Inverclyde Council's selection process was also thorough and potofessional.
Each day is different. There are things which happen every day and some things which change. As it is a school you can never guarantee that any two days would be the same.
Pros
Good work colleagues
Cons
Sometimes it was very busy and sometimes it was very slow
Very accommodating - staff members responsible for training new team members have a genuine enthusiasm. Management style informal and as open as possible.
  1. Employee reviews