Inverclyde Council

Inverclyde Council: 34 Employee Reviews

United Kingdom34 reviews

goodjobworkplacegreatworkingcouncillot

Good workplace

Very happy working here. I am a Secondary school teacher and before gaining permanency I worked in many schools in the area, which was a positive experience. Supportive colleagues and friendly welcome to each of the schools I worked in while on supply.

Need more staff and need managers that speak up for their staff

Place was constantly short-staffed and the managers just kept piling the work on.On the plus side, the job was secure and I was able to work the hours I wanted.

Pros

Job security and hours that fitted around the kids

Cons

Line managers were yes men

Insights into Inverclyde Council

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Not productive If You Dont Fit

I use to really enjoy working for I.C. ,until my circumstances changed.After several months down the line im still no further foward.I have applied for so many posts ive lost count only to find out,if its a promoted post then you have no chance even if you do have qualifications they are not looking for.The polictics of the place are absolutely unbelievable.Also depending what grade you are on,then anything above you certainly wont get it,although if its below the grade they will throw it your way.However there is no encouragement for the job you are doing to progress.Its if your face fits,then you certainly will go places,but if not forget it,you are kept suppressed of the stage your at.So i would think twice before applying.

Pros

Cons

They do not trust there employees.Its big brother is watching you.

People are mostly nice and great to work with or for.

Only real downside is pay is lower compared to other surrounding authorities. You are supported well and encouraged by mangers and other Tema members. Varied day to day is a benefit and an opportunity to learn different methods.

Pros

Great team, brilliant workife, chance to develop skills from others, support

Cons

Pay

Productive and meaningful

My time at the council was enjoyable, colleagues were always very nice and helpful, management were supportive and the environment was good. There always seemed to be room for progression and the salary was great.

Pros

Flexible hours and public holidays off

Cons

Air conditioning not great

A good and fair employer, that genuinely cares about its staff and their welfare.

A good employer, fair to its staff. Public sector, so no in-kind benefits, no help with professional fees, and, through the erosion of training budgets over the past 20 years, very little worthwhile training offered to staff other than for soft-skills (fire safety, lifting and handling...).

Pros

Generally a fair employer, with a strong ethos of caring for its employees.

Cons

A slowly eroding remuneration package, that hasn't kept apace of any inflation measure over more than a decade, which is largely under central government control.

Employed by Inverclyde Council

Working for inverclyde council is very good with lots of up to date training courses provided. Really good salary and great holidays. Full uniform jacket and trousers provided.

Pros

Rates of pay

Cons

Full driving licence required for a various positions.

Great Offices

Local free parking , good selection of projects , handy flexitime for work staff , supportive managers. Mainly office based but good site location nearby to manage the Project for the 20 weeks construction

Easy pace job

As a breakfast club team member I was responsible for the daily preparation and cleaning of the area where kids attended for breakfast. Short hours, friendly environment and colleagues.

N/a

Using mashenary cutting grass brushes eye, keeping areas tidy, driving works van, plus be polite to the public,we are giving a wide range of tasks which I do at my best abilities, you

great

Great place to work learned many skills on the job and the envirorment was relaxed management where approachable if you needed help the overall experience was great

Pros

relaxed enviorment

Cons

Working for port council was the best job

Most of the men & apprentice all work well together As a team and all customers weir very happy with the work of every individual man & apprentice so as a council they had the every one interest at heart was there for over 12 years before leaving and working for my self employed joiner builder

If you know people in the council, you'll get on fine.

I didn't stay long, but my manager was super, looked after the department as best she could and would do anything for her staff, even if the staff didn't see it. Not all managers were like this, but mine was a star. Watch out if you are on sick; HR will demand lengthy, regular meetings with you to "discuss your termination" irrespective of how far away you live. It's a brutal department, make sure you are in a union or have a solicitor on your side for advice. It was a temp position and only part time with very little room for more hours (although my manager did what she could), I couldn't live off the national minimum wage they were paying me so had to move. Excellent prospects of getting another job within the council while you are in and they actually encourage progression, it is about who you know, so if you are an outsider then you'll find it difficult to make headway. Most people I worked with were lovely and very expressive, but I think that was the ethos of the department, a lot of the long term staff were quite miserable but stayed for the pension, making for a cliquey, harsh office environment. The council take forever to make a decision about anything, so if you go in with good ideas, don't expect them to jump, most of the time the situation has passed before they acknowledge it, so don't hold your breath. Overall a good company to work for if you are prepared to work hard and fit in, but don't forget that the council run 95% of Inverclyde, so for employers in that area you don't really have much choice.

Pros

Some management actually care about the dept and the staff

Cons

HR. Evil department. Oh, and the constant rain.

Fast paced

Enjoyable and fast paced environment with lots of good training and support. Never a full day and time goes in very quickly. Electronic systems very efficient.

Pros

Good lunch breaks

Cons

Great place to learn and work freely

it was an amazing place to work as it was a rewarding job and I was able to work and meet my targets. I was the youngest in my work place and for some reasons I did not get along with the management.

Pros

great jonb

Cons

bad management

Enjoyed my experience working within Inverclyde Council

A typical day would vary, involving prisoner contact, through the use of one to one interviews; Integrated Case Management Meetings, Risk Management Meeting or Initial Assessments for new prisoners to the establishment. I worked with a small female team, being new to this experience, i initially thought this was a positive and genuine working environment; this turned out not to be the case with the usual in house arguments with female colleagues, who either liked to gossip or just generally stabbed you in the back; hence no harmony within this workplace.

Pros

Family friendly office

Cons

all female work place, did not experience a positive environment

Work Place

Ok place to work 12 hours shift pattern very challenging client base very rewarding working in the community learning more and more each day experiencing challenging circumstances

Good company to work for

Great company to work for very understanding employer's and everywhere I have worked there has been a grt team of people and bosses have been really great

Stable job with 5 days guarenteed

I ENJOYES THE VARUETY OF WORK ANT THE PEOPLE I WORKED WITH. On the job training was supervised and adequate. I learned how to use various machinery and cut various plots of grass land to publice and private standards.

Pros

close to home

Cons

hot weather

fun work place

Typical day i would start by cleaning toilets and follow on by cleaning tables and hoovering classrooms then i would buff the corridors and the canteen floors. In this job they trained me to use the buffer. Manegment were really helpfull also colleges really good to work with and helpfull. Using the buffer is probably the hardest and thr easiest is clearing up to finish the day.

Pros

holidays

Cons

not paid during summer holidays

love working with the kids

Set up for 50 kids give them there breakfast clean up after them .making sure that they are eating breakfast before they start school.start at 7.30am finish at 9.30.

Pros

Get a lot of holidays.

Cons

short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Inverclyde Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement