Ipswich Borough Council

Ipswich Borough Council Employee Reviews

Planing Officer working in Development Management and Planning Policy team good LPA experience of the planning process liaising with key stakeholders and members of the public.
Very friendly, good atmosphere. Agile working that give flexibility Good place to learn, not enough development or training which is the downside.....
working in education with the Ipswich Borough Coucil was a good, loving, happy environment. Well being was great and felt relaxed working for them. Great company.
I was a self-employed taxi driver for the council but this was a great company to work for. I enjoyed my time there very much and would recommend them as an employer
Ipswich borough gave me a great opportunity to make good steady money at a young age whilst providing the necessary training. Great place to start work
Ideal environment for working parents with young children that are especially parent friendly even with part time job. The hours can be from 6.00am until 9.00pm
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Bullying
Learned new skills and enjoyed meeting new staff however work was boarding and was uninteresting. Hours were flexible and staff were nice however there was little Mangement and lots of bureaucracy which wasted time.
No induction provided No sick pay paid Pay role not made clear I enjoyed working with the team but little training was provided and health and safety basics were not implemented or managed
love this job, teaches me everyday skills, learn how to communicate with new people everyday, staff are friendly would highly recommend this company to anyone looking for a job.
Pros
learn new skills
Cons
can be repetitive
Will return to work as a PQS at this place if there are any job opportunities. Good management between the commercial and site teams. Very organised and good working environment.
First step on the management ladder, given plenty of responsibility and resources to devise better way of doing things. A great team willing to work together.
Pros
Encouraged to get on with it
Cons
Insufficient staff numbers to do what's needed
Typical day would be to manage a team of Team Leader to achieve and monitor targets. i most enjoyed team/ team leader/ management meetings. Enjoyed the job, but constant changing goals and target due to reducing budgets and changing regulations.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Reducing budgets
A busy working environment but with a poor work ethic and people who were not that concerned for the rate payers of the town and focused mainly upon their own interests and advancement. Was glad to get away
Ipswich Borough Council is a very proactive Council and one that I will always be thankful to. It is great in developing it's staff to go on and do bigger things.
This was a government job, so the scene was very serious, nevertheless I learnt the basic office skills a required for my career path.I learnt to fax photocopy and file, they even showed me how to type, they also gave me a free computer to practice on.I studied an modern apprenticeship in business and administration, the experience was very educational.We used to deal with building and planning control we served the public well those who wanted to build on a property.
Pros
Free education
Cons
Being an apprentice
Hard days work but rewarding keeping you fit. Management is just out of school and struggling! The hardest part of the job is the physical demands on the body, the most enjoyable being able to go home on a task and finish basis
good company to work for very organised good rate of pay looks after employees well provided good ppe and clothing for the jobs needed to be carried out
Constant reviews of services create poor job security and low morale. Pointless meetings almost everyday, many simply to tick boxes to say you have had the meeting. Didn't come across any managers at my level who have a shred of confidence in the council's senor management. Seems to be an unwritten policy to get rid of long serving staff, so if you are looking for job security and good senior management, don't apply here! That said, the actual staff are great, the work/life balance is good, and generally the pay is quite good.Best to work at the outstations rather than Grafton House to avoid constant interference from senior management.
Pros
Flexible working, friendly staff
Cons
Management is exceptionally bad, especially at the top!
Working at Ipswich Borough Council tended to be monotonous, mundane, and didn't seem to give much of a career progression path, however that may have been because my role was a new one yet to be fully defined. Local government jobs seem very inhibited by "red tape" and almost everything required sign-off from one person or another. This tended to be the hardest part of the job.
a typical day was going to different site around Ipswich and completing tasks like watering town hall flowers and trimming hedges. I learned about life in a work place for the first time, which was hard work and tea breaks. management was kind and friendly towards me and gave me a tour around charity park. the culture of the workplace is mixed in my opinion as others were either happy or bored of there jobs. the hardest part of the job was the hedge trimming as I had to cut endless hedges throughout my time there. the best part of the job was that they took me to a last day breakfast at Sainsbury's.
Pros
friendly colleuges
Cons
having to help cut endless hedges
I worked here for around a year I enjoyed my time there an took a lot away from it I would work for them again without a doubt.
Pros
1 lunch