Irwin Mitchell

Irwin Mitchell Employee Reviews

It was a good working environment, a lot of the people when I was working there were friendly, approachable and supportive if I needed support with anything. A lot of my work colleagues there were polite and courteous. The office I was based in is a very busy office so it is very important to concentrate on the work without any distractions. But working at Irwin Mitchell Solicitors there are plenty of social events to get involved in either for the whole office or the individual teams. Social events for the whole office can include the End of Financial Year party, the summer party , Big Quiz night and the office Christmas party. Individual team social events can include going out to a restaurant for a meal or a team fuddle which can take place at lunch time or after work where individuals, are asked to bring any food of their choice depending on their choice.
Pros
Company discounts, rewards and recognition for outstanding work .
Cons
High work load
Irwin Mitchell used to be a great company to work for. Head office was in Sheffield, and it promoted a good work-life balance. Then Head Office moved to London and the whole culture changed.
Pros
kitchenettes provided to prepare food and hot drinks
Cons
can't eat food at your desk, have to hot desk (moving to a different desk every day)
So I was at Irwin Mitchell for 2 years in the pPICST Team in the contact centre and it started off not too bad, decent team leader and team.. then it just got worse and worse and worse. More responsibility added to the role, rubbish pay, team leader change ended up terrible for me as the new one just didn't like me and I didn't like her. I felt singled out for being outspoken and speaking my mind and refusing to be targeted. Through covid I just had enough, working from home as personal injury had gone quiet they decided to take on a random law firms calls, give us no training and then throw us in at the deep end with the other firms clients screaming at us daily with us not knowing how to respond. This was sold to us as for our benefit so we can keep our jobs through covid. Management got worse through covid and eventually, every interaction I had with my team leader was negative. In the end I left for the DWP. Couldn't wait to be gone. I even left well before my new start date and didn't care about not earning money for a while.Awful culture in the contact centre, management think they're special when they earn a few k more then the colleagues, no character or charisma about them at all, unjustified arrogance to say the least and if you dont suck up they won't like you. The Personal injury team currently has about 4 people left people are jumping ship. They're looking to bring in at least 8 new people right now. This must be telling them something. Poor shift patterns poor pay and you feel like you live here when you work here.
Pros
Colleagues are a decent laugh and you can use mobiles at desk.
Cons
Long hours, increased responsibility without pay increase, catty petty management
Irwin Mitchell is a great firm on the face and have strong values and cultures that are echoed from top to bottom. The problem is colleague especially Paralegals are paid the bare minimum but take on full case loads and lots of responsibility. Trainee solicitors come to the firm and are paid much more and have no experience or knowledge, just a piece of paper stating they have a ‘law’ degree. It can be very stressful and there is a great focus on getting the job done regardless if it’s in working hours.
Pros
Great values and cultures. Push on diversity and inclusiveness is brilliant.
Cons
The pay is awful, very stressful, poor work and life balance.
Try to make out that they "stand apart" from other law firms in terms of support and work life balance, but most of the gestures are superficial. I imagine it is the same most places. Like many work places, individuals can make your day easy or difficult. Pay reviews at the end of the financial year are good, just make sure you never become ill as if you bradford score is too high it doesn't matter if you ace all your other targets.
Pros
Casual dress when not seeing clients, collegues, some perks eg free tea and coffee etc
Cons
Paralegals not paid enough for the amount of work expected, more responsibilities than trainee and less pay, need permission from line manager to apply for TC and can be refused for subjective reasons, stressful.
Working in the Public Law department was a massively rewarding experience. You work with people who are truly committed to the work that they do and genuinely want to achieve the best results for their clients. As with any solicitors office it is very busy and the work is hard, however you get support from your colleagues and management to ensure that you are taken care of. Work hours are long and their isn't much flexibility around that, which is understandable, and at times it can be draining.
Pros
Great Team. Rewarding Work. Progression Opportunity.
Cons
Long hours. Not great personal/work life balance.
This company is a complete waste of time. Minimum salary and treat stuff like garbage.The management undervalues its employees. For the lower role in the company and the minimum salary they treat you like a slave - there are so many other opportunities with a more positive and welcoming vibe. Do not recommend.
Pros
kitchen in the building
Cons
management
It was fast paced and collaborative there was a lot of work to do and it was easy to get along with the other colleagues as everyone was friendly and professional
A typical day working at Irwin Mitchell was always fast paced with lots of targets and deadlines to meet. The office environment was friendly and casual and everyone got on really well. Despite being relaxed, you were always aware of what was expected of you in your role and expectations for high quality work were made clear. We were consistently provided with training to ensure that we were up to date with the latest Law Reforms and were working to our best standards and management were always approachable if you had a query or problem that you needed to discuss.
Pros
Free fruit, tea and coffee. Brilliant Christmas night outs
Cons
High volume of work
I worked here for 5 years in the call centre (Ccu) and they treat their staff like absolute rubbish. A colleague was denied time off to have a cancerous mole removed!! They gave me a full stage disciplinary for making a typo on a file. And then another one a few months later for being in available code too long one evening. Awful place with backstabbing people. A manager once took me in the officr on my own and screamed and shouted at me and reduced me to tears. Accused me of something I didn’t do. Best thing I ever did was leave that place!! Do underpaid! I get paid more in my part time job now than when I did when I worked full time doing stupid shifts.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Irwin Mitchell?
It was a good friendly environment it was fast paced and there was a lot of work which was done by all employees and everyone was focused on the tasks at hand
Pros
It was a good environment
Cons
There were too many people in one room
I worked in the CCU in the Sheffield office for just over a year. I was the youngest worker there at the ripe age of 16. The environment for a call centre was great. the people and the work is what made me love it. You have support at every crossroad, a new interesting task every day and was just a fun place to be. Although it can be very stressful at times due to the high work volume, you are supported the entire way by the people around you and your management. If you are interested in a position in this department, just know that it isn't easy and that you will be busy most of the time. But also that you will be engaged with the things you're doing and make life long friends.
great place to do work experience , good insight into company, great working environment and freindly employees. would recommend to anyone looking for similar experience.
Everyone is easy to talk to and allow you to get on with your workload. You work at your own pace and everyone is grateful of the end results. A job to apply for.
Get treat like rubbish, management hardly ever do anything, management have certain people that can do nothing all day and talk how and when they want but then piles 5 peoples work load on to one why they sit in there meetings for hours on end for there team building or what ever else they feed us but yey we sit there doing all there work that they get congratulated on afters?
Pros
There ok people to work with
Cons
The system in how they deal with everything and spoken down at, school yard level of gossip mainly from managment themselves which is not what you expect.
This is clearly a business focused on profitability and not customer service. Only take on claims above a set value . Legal advice line run like a call centre
There is a high emphasis on client care and there is good culture within IM, however the pay and high stress really brings down the company overall as it feels as though the client’s expectations come over and above of the employees, even if it is at the expence of the employees.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
High works loads causing stress
no carer opportunities, low salaries and very racist if you are not of English heritage. They need to focus on paying fair salaries and promoting from within recognising talent.
Whilst working here I felt singled out and looked down upon by most workers there, as if I didn’t bring enough to the business to be seen as an equal, and it seemed I was only spoken to out of obligation. I was never thanked or praised for the work I did. I felt self conscious and always criticised on the tiniest thing.My mental health issues weren’t taken seriously. They never acknowledge criticism and twist this to turn the blame on you. It seems the don’t care for their employees as they can be easily replaced. I asked for help multiple times and was never given it and yet again I was blamed.
I was really excited to get a job at Irwin Mitchell. However, some of the solicitors were not prepared to talk to those in a non-legal role. My team treated me as a servant. I was made to feel I was not part of the team & communication was aggressive & confrontatonal. I learned this team was notorious for bullying & it was tolerated because they made money. I resigned, totally demoralised.
Bullying , sabotage, gossiping everything you could think of in a cliche office scene in a movie, it’s right here. Do not apply if you are disabled as they treat you like human trash! Your self worth is eroded for doing a job that quite frankly pays better at most other places for far less hassle. Managers couldn’t care less if you have any sort of grievance. AVOID.
Pros
Leaving I guess?
Cons
Everything and then some, particularly the management and other co- workers.
  1. Employee reviews