Islington Council

• Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Supportive environment

Agency Worker

I worked at Islington Council for about 3 months, I learnt the job I could do it in my sleep I went above and beyond to help my colleagues aswell I was encouraged to apply for permanent role and wasn't offered interview !!Several members of staff were not pleasant and management did nothing to challenge this. Temp staff treated as Second Rate, Team not inclusive Or appreciative some perm staff are outright rude with bad attitude

Pros

Locality I could walk to work

Cons

Unpleasant staff and no chance of progression to permanent

Enjoyed working at Islington

Great team of 20 working on rota. Plenty opportunities to work in different departments and plenty online training great for upgrading your skills. Diverse wirk firce overall.

Pros

Opportunity to work in different areas of housing

Invests in staff

Good employer - invests in their staff by offering lots of training and development opportunities. They are serious about offering an attractive and supportive working environment to staff.

Stressful yet productive workplace

I enjpyed working at Islington council. The work entailed managing 12 resident involvement officers who dealt with TMOs and tenants and residents associations and was a strategic role in the authority. There was ample scope for bringing my ideas to the table and plenty of scope to practice business planning to engineer change kin the unit where necessary.

Pros

Able to use own initiative

Cons

Occasionally uncooperative staff

Unfulfilling.

I never understood why they need a skilled gardener here. You don't garden. You don't maintain. You do clearances. If you do plant anything it dies, because they have unskilled people watering them and no one maintaining them. So the planting scheme gets over run with weeds. Or the planters die from lack of water. It's frustrating. My gardening skills went backwards here. If you are not a gardener and don't care about gardens this is the job for you.

Pros

You can leave.

Cons

It's frustrating. No one listens. No communication. They spend money on rubbish.

Great working environment

A very nice team to work with. Management very easy going and allowed you to work on your own initiative. Lots of opportunities offered for advancement in training courses and job prospects

Pros

once a week team bonding lunches

Cons

n/a

Run by ex roadsweepers.and fat transport managerssmanagers

Ungrateful.sacked at the drop of a hat.working with the lowest intelligence of workers.disabled physically and mentally.you are expected to work insanely with these people.dangerous but looks good on numbers for a labour council.2 sacked years no accidents scratched lorry

Pros

Good middle staff

Cons

Sacked in a heartbeat by someone who has been there longer than you

Great balanced environment

Nice environment to work in Hours were balanced with work & home life Job easy Money good People friendly Training up to date Different locations so never boring

Simple and easy to follow

The questions were very simple and easy to answer and follow. Love working for Islington Council, been therr for years and it feels like family whenever i go into work

Cons

I enjoyed my time at islington learned a lot management and staff helpful

I felt happy at my work meeting lots of different cultures learning about there diet nutrition and supporting the clients to be independent as possible

Pros

Good working conditions

Cons

Was able to do lots of training

An interesting place to work

An interesting place to work with varied projects to get your teeth into. A progressive focused council who really care about their residents. Would recommend.

great place to work, wonderfull staff.

Loved working there and had a really supportive team. I helped mentor the new starters which was great, I also got to travel to our London office to take part in staff forums which gave a real sense of inclusion.

Great place with great managers

I found Islington Council a great place to work. Supported 110% by managers, flexible work/life balance. Great training and great pay and promotion opportunities.

Pros

Great pay, Great Managers. Great ethos

good colleagues but poor managemrnt

I spent over 25 working at Islington providing good quality support to various teams in Public Protection and i was very unpaid for the work i was doing.

good place to work

working at Islington council can be quite fast paced, but you do get days where it is more relaxed. it can be pressuring but not too much. The management are very understanding and it is very flexible.

Pros

flexible working

Cons

the pay

Productive and fun

As a youth councillor , we engaged with a lot of senior staff . but everyday presented itself with a new challenge , but with a dedicated support team there was never too much stress.

Working in the Royal Parks of London on behalf of Isington council was a demanding job. However, the overall experience was rewarding.

The ability to witness and appreciate the beauties of wildlife and nature whilst working brought piece to the mind. To be of help to individuals visiting for major events or even a day out was extremely rewarding. Especially with tourists who came to experience life in London.

Great people

Give us your opinion about a typical day at work, what you learned, management, workplace culture, the hottest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job.

Good Insight into local authority

At Islington Council, I dealt with Housing Benefit, Council Tax, Parking and Recovery to name a few areas. I used my product knowledge on legislations and procedures when giving advice. This could be for parking appeals to recovery of council tax to overpayments in Housing Benefit.

I hope it's improved

Horrible (Lib Dem) politicians and dishonest senior managers ruined the experience for staff and residents alike. Hard work and little support. That was a while ago so hopefully things are better now. Very glad to be out of there. Residents deserved better.

Pros

Cons

As stated.

Worked with some great people over the years.

Days were quiet but busy due to administrative duties but once the children and young people came in, definitely livened the place up as it was meant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Islington Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement