Islington Council

Islington Council Employee Reviews

I enjpyed working at Islington council. The work entailed managing 12 resident involvement officers who dealt with TMOs and tenants and residents associations and was a strategic role in the authority. There was ample scope for bringing my ideas to the table and plenty of scope to practice business planning to engineer change kin the unit where necessary.
Pros
Able to use own initiative
Cons
Occasionally uncooperative staff
I never understood why they need a skilled gardener here. You don't garden. You don't maintain. You do clearances. If you do plant anything it dies, because they have unskilled people watering them and no one maintaining them. So the planting scheme gets over run with weeds. Or the planters die from lack of water. It's frustrating. My gardening skills went backwards here. If you are not a gardener and don't care about gardens this is the job for you.
Pros
You can leave.
Cons
It's frustrating. No one listens. No communication. They spend money on rubbish.
A very nice team to work with. Management very easy going and allowed you to work on your own initiative. Lots of opportunities offered for advancement in training courses and job prospects
Pros
once a week team bonding lunches
Cons
n/a
Ungrateful.sacked at the drop of a hat.working with the lowest intelligence of workers.disabled physically and mentally.you are expected to work insanely with these people.dangerous but looks good on numbers for a labour council.2 sacked years no accidents scratched lorry
Pros
Good middle staff
Cons
Sacked in a heartbeat by someone who has been there longer than you
Nice environment to work in Hours were balanced with work & home life Job easy Money good People friendly Training up to date Different locations so never boring
The questions were very simple and easy to answer and follow. Love working for Islington Council, been therr for years and it feels like family whenever i go into work
Cons
I felt happy at my work meeting lots of different cultures learning about there diet nutrition and supporting the clients to be independent as possible
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Was able to do lots of training
An interesting place to work with varied projects to get your teeth into. A progressive focused council who really care about their residents. Would recommend.
Loved working there and had a really supportive team. I helped mentor the new starters which was great, I also got to travel to our London office to take part in staff forums which gave a real sense of inclusion.
I found Islington Council a great place to work. Supported 110% by managers, flexible work/life balance. Great training and great pay and promotion opportunities.
Pros
Great pay, Great Managers. Great ethos
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Islington Council?
I spent over 25 working at Islington providing good quality support to various teams in Public Protection and i was very unpaid for the work i was doing.
working at Islington council can be quite fast paced, but you do get days where it is more relaxed. it can be pressuring but not too much. The management are very understanding and it is very flexible.
Pros
flexible working
Cons
the pay
As a youth councillor , we engaged with a lot of senior staff . but everyday presented itself with a new challenge , but with a dedicated support team there was never too much stress.
The ability to witness and appreciate the beauties of wildlife and nature whilst working brought piece to the mind. To be of help to individuals visiting for major events or even a day out was extremely rewarding. Especially with tourists who came to experience life in London.
Give us your opinion about a typical day at work, what you learned, management, workplace culture, the hottest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job.
At Islington Council, I dealt with Housing Benefit, Council Tax, Parking and Recovery to name a few areas. I used my product knowledge on legislations and procedures when giving advice. This could be for parking appeals to recovery of council tax to overpayments in Housing Benefit.
Horrible (Lib Dem) politicians and dishonest senior managers ruined the experience for staff and residents alike. Hard work and little support. That was a while ago so hopefully things are better now. Very glad to be out of there. Residents deserved better.
Pros
Cons
As stated.
Days were quiet but busy due to administrative duties but once the children and young people came in, definitely livened the place up as it was meant.
Not to bad but had issues with one of my old managers she was very impatient especially being a young apprentice i wasn't getting the support needed. But thankfully i spoke to HR and they've moved me to the finance department which was very helpful and i've learnt a lot in the 1 year contract.
I started at 6am & would then work till 10.30am and STOP for tea until 11am & work up untill I finished my beat at 12.30pm start making my way back to the depot. I enjoy starting early & finishing off early, I like feeling I've made a difference and keeping the public & residents in good humour & pleased with the council's performance. There's a good work ethic on the council & team players who get things done when push comes to shove. A lot of the time I was working alone & left to do my job without any pressure or problems.
Pros
Early start, job satisfaction & good managment
Cons
Sometimes there are some rude members of the public & dog owners not cleaning up after they foul
Happy to work there. No office politics, approachable management on all levels. A caring local authority for residents and staff alike. A flexible, friendly and inclusive working environment. Transparent local authority, constantly keeping staff in the loop with future plans
Pros
Flexible
  1. Employee reviews