iTutorGroup

iTutorGroup Employee Reviews

Has deteriorated after the management/company change

I've worked for Itutorgroup for almost 3 years. At the start it was excellent. There was a good onboarding process and you were able to access many online sessions given by senior tutors. My pay was good. I really enjoyed teaching the students. However, after the management change things have continued to deteriorate. We had to accept a new pay structure that was supposed to be better. However, my pay has decreased. Many tutors were axed. Now there are very few sessions with senior tutors. At the start I was getting lessons for most of the sessions I booked. Now, I only seem to get 1 or 2 sessions for 6-8 sessions booked. Sometimes I get 4. I used to teach demo sessions but no longer. I have hardly ever missed a session and my ratings are high. I no longer feel valued. When you send a message asking why you are not getting many lessons you don't get an informative reply. I've had lessons that have been cancelled at short notice after I've prepared material on Manycam and extra resources. It's sad as the students are enjoyable to teach and the platform works well.

Pros

students, flexibility, software

Cons

reduction in lessons, pay change, attitude towards tutors

I worked at iTG for four years, made good money and it was flexible around my children. I have only left due to the new regulations that are affecting ALL online ESL companies. So companies like iTG will not exist shortly.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

no guaranteed hours

Infuriating to work for.

Extremely dishonest company with absolutely atrocious communication. I started with about 8 classes a day for 6 days a week including weekends. 6 months later I now teach one 25 minute class per day if I'm lucky. The website and apps they use and very poor and have lead to many administration errors on their side which have ultimately resulted in an a major loss of earnings. You should choose somewhere else to work, they're terrible.

Pros

£10 per hour

Cons

Abysmal communication and organisation.

Awful Awful AWFUL company

Simply stay away OR find out the hard way that this is an appalling company to work for, your choice.You will get ZERO respect or appreciation as a teacher.You are lower than garbage.

Pros

nothing

Cons

everything

Sadly too many changes & not enough lessons.

When I first started here, it was an amazing job & I loved teaching. Since the takeover, there have been vast changes within the company. They have cut staff in their country, sacked many brilliant teachers whose second language was English. Now native speakers have been 'offered' new contracts & if we didn't sign them then we were to be let go. Lots of current teachers are not being given enough classes to sustain ourselves & yet more are being hired. It's such a sad state of affairs & certainly not a company who values their teachers anymore. Complaints are rarely overturned even with evidence.

Pros

Teaching children & adults to speak English

Cons

Not enough sessions scheduled, constantly worrying about lack of feedback from clients due to lack of sessions

Awful place to work!

If you miss a class, they do not care for your reasonings, they will take away all of your lessons and deactivate your account. They have no morals whatsoever as they only care about their clients being taught and less about the tutors. don't waste your time and effort working here.

Pros

Cons

bad communication, unsociable hours

Just exactly what I want as an online English teacher

Love this job. I walk to my living room and spend a few hours using learning resources which are prepared for me to teach motivated students in Taiwan. There's a little bit more to it then that. I find that the learning resources need to be adapted to the students and that can take some time. I find that I spend about as much time adapting the material as teaching.

Pros

Work from home when I want

used to be better and now awful

I've been working for the company for 3+ years, it was ok and I was happy with the paymet. Now they have cut the hours and base pay.the worst company to work with.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

no teacher support, low payment

Flexibility

Their classes are short, spanning 30minutes; it keeps the job interesting and allows me to take up more classes. It’s a flexible job – one can decide when to work. I can make my own schedule, months in advance and book classes accordingly. They take care of everything for you. The technical support I get in the classroom makes it easier for me to just focus on teaching. It would be better if I can teach on my iPad!

Strange and unprofessional

I was very excited to work for this company, the largest English company in the world but have been left very disappointed. The interview and application were ok but after that everything is wrong. They require you to download various software onto your computer, some to allow remote access to your computer for servicing IT faults etc before you can start work. Well, my new mac refused the software saying their software was outdated and could put credit card numbers at risk. I contacted Itutor who ignored my messages and sent out generic unuseful mails. I persisted by buying a new windows laptop and this also refused the software. I got as far as buying the required red polo t-shirt and having a basic it check where they check your background (they require you print out their logo and put it all over your background) and headset. I had purchased a new headset that covered both ears with a separate mouth speaker. They stated this wasn`t good enough and suggested a list of those that were, usually very expensive. Further they promised a high salary per hour but reports coming through say the actual payment per hour is about a third of what is said. I`ve found them very unresponsive, and completely unprofessional in approach and direction.

Cons

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at iTutorGroup?

Good choice to teach online

I believe I made the right choice to work here and it has been an interesting journey so far. I like the flexibility the job offers. We have enough sessions, a good enough tech support and good training materials. What attracts me most is the opportunity to help students realize their learning goals and the rich cultural exchange.

Cons

The pandemic has affected scheduling recently

Great teaching practice online

My reason to start teaching online was to get the experience of online teaching more than anything as I already had 3 years of actual teaching experience in a regular setting. I must say I have enjoyed the experience so far, the hiring process was smooth, the agents are helpful, pay is not bad. Most of my students have jobs and want to learn English to get ahead in their careers.

Great option during pandemic

I have taught for 12 years in classroom and I miss my students during the pandemic. Most of my students are in China and I teach students of various age groups. This is a good job to make extra money in the early morning hours. The compensation structure was better when I started, but still remains relatively fair.

Pros

Good materials and platform, easy interview process

Cons

I’m not a young man. Keeping track of all the updates was challenging at the beginning, but it isn’t that hard either.

Working at iTutorGroup

I have been working at iTutorGroup for about 18months. This was my first experience of working and teaching ESL on-line. I am thoroughlyenjoying working for the company. The job is flexible, challenging, motivating, fun and one is always learning something new. It is great to teach students from another country and to learn about another culture. I tend to work about 5 to 7 hours a day. Initially it is very intense when one starts and can feel all consuming. The rating system and client feedback can be demoralising however, with more experience and training one learns to accept the pros and cons. The pros outweigh the cons.

Pros

Ability to book your schedule a month in advance, prompt payment, great technical support and back up, opportunity to diversify into other areas.

Cons

A large company with rigid protocols.

Excellent employer

ITutor has given me the flexibility to work at my own home and to choose hours which are suitable to me.I work full time for iTutor as a consultant/recruiter and I really enjoy meeting all the students.Whether it is an adult or junior class The students are really great and I have a lot of fun.iTutor has given me my dream job of working full time from home.

Pros

Full flexibility of working hours.

Cons

Not teaching the same students weekly.

An extremely mixed bag

I've been working for Itutor group for nearly a year now, and it has been a roller coaster of highs and lows, the result of which has left me pretty frustrated and disappointed with the experience.I've decided to split this into categories rather than general pros and cons, as there have been such swings in all aspects.1) HoursI am a CELTA qualified teacher with 6 years experience. When I started work here, I used to get 5 hours teaching a day without fail. This, however, was often in one long block with only 5 minutes break between classes. I was desperate for a break by the end. Hours would fluctuate between months. One month I'd do fine, the next quite significantly less despite still having good ratings (see pay).About a month ago I took a week off (my first bit of holiday since starting despite the odd day here and there). Since returning, my hours have reduced drastically (2-3 a day now). The company hates you having any time off, and punishes you for doing so.You have to do weekend work (at least 4 hours) but the way they structure the mandatory hours means that unless you want to wake up at 6AM on Saturday, you will be teaching seven days a week, as you can only book 3 mandatory hours on either Saturday/Sunday at normal teaching times (I'm UK based, other countries will vary).With most of the school around the world closed due to Coronavirus, I imagine a huge amount have migrated online, and so they can literally pick and choose or discard teachers as they see fit now.PayThe company works on a ratings system. Students can rate teachers out of 10, and teachers -

Pros

OK pay, flexible hours

Cons

7 day working week, sneaky tactics, fluctuating hours, toxic ratings system

seems great at first but cracks appearing

Initially I was given a lot of classes but after a month working there I now seem to get far fewer, meaning I waste hours being online, waiting to see if a student books in last minute. I think it's unfair that I'm paid the same regardless of how many students there are per class, whether it be one or five - the latter being much more stressful. I like the flexibility of the timetable, but having to work both Saturday and Sunday is a little harsh. I would rather work all of my 5 mandatory hours on one day, rather than it take up the middle chunk of both days. Overall, it's a good job to do in the short term and if you're very adaptable, but I don't feel as though the company values its teachers enough.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

unfair pay

Avoid working for this Company

Please avoid working for this Company. They are money-grabbing and care nothing about professionalism or real education. The Management and admin processes are poor. Worse still has to be the pay for teachers or consultants as they refer to them. They advertise huge sums in terms of salary when in reality they are paying circa £6 to teach a 45 minute lesson. They will expect you to advertise their Company at your expense. They also expect you to wear a red top to match their Company theme at your expense. They will expect you to buy props, realia etc and not reimburse the cost. As for the god awful ratings system that they use, it's laughable. They are completely unprofessional and treat their staff like dirt, They also promise lots of work when in reality you were lucky if you get 3 or 4 lessons per day that's circa 2 hours max at a rate of £6.00 means you're earning £12 per day! The bonus is a £1 if you're lucky. If you teach 45 minute lessons you only get a bonus if the students leave feedback of 7 or above! So effectively you're teaching for about 90p per student - these are slave rates. Without any warning and for fickle reasons they will deactivate your account and force you to do extra training (thanks to the ratings system), they will also impose fines for fickle reasons. You have to work 1 whole month and 11 days before you get paid for just one month, so you've worked 11 extra days before salary is paid. It's more like an internment camp than an education provider - they are more concerned with profit making and control, forcing their ideals than actual education. -

Pros

I cannot think of any

Cons

Very low pay, odd hours, even odder ratings system, no work!

So much promise.. but ultimately disappointing.

I have worked for the last 6 years as a fully qualified teacher and took some time out to travel. I thought teaching English online would be a great way to earn some extra cash whilst I did this. However I quickly found out that I would need to transport a full background with me so this wasn't an option.For a company that says its so 'flexible' there are lots of restrictions. You have to put yourself down for 5 separate hours of prime-time teaching on 5 separate days... Prime time is 12.30-2.30 UK time. You don't really seem to get lessons much outside of this. If you have to take time off they often give out penalty fines without enough notice. So prepare yourself for a fine if you wake up late and you're feeling sick.There are opportunities for progression but I saw little benefit in progression. You can train to teach the OUP scheme for the very 'best' employees... Funny how the pay is exactly the same for teaching fluent adults (which is what they start you with) and then you prove yourself through high ratings, completing the training programs and taking time to learn the lessons... Yet the pay is exactly the same for harder work. Why bother? Yes you can earn extra through 'demo' lessons but only if the customer signs up... I quickly asked to stop demo lessons and OUP lessons... This brings me nicely to my next point.The support system is TERRIBLE. I have no idea at any time who i should report to if there are issues, I have asked several times to be taken off the OUP lessons however they keep appearing in my schedule. Every time I ask to get them removed I get bounced -

Pros

Can work from home, OK pay

Cons

Not as flexible as they make out, often just baby sitting, progression seems pointless, support team are little to no help at all.

Not as I expected

Commmucation is very poor, weak pay structure and unfair rating system.Messages sent take ages to be replied to. They claim to be open to suggestions but things never seem to change.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

poor communication

Poor culture

I have gone through very long, costly, unclear onboarding process just to be able to have ONE URGENTLY scheduled lesson.After which I didn’t have any lessons scheduled for four months. Obviously, I gave up and stop signing in and check. I thought as any reputable company would do, I would be notified incase any lesson was scheduled.The next surprise I find was that I was getting absence notices which led my account to be suspended. My question is, why not send automatic notification about scheduled lessons just like absence notification?I couldn’t and didn’t want to work in thin company and asked to remove my account.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at iTutorGroup. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8