J Sainsbury Plc.

J Sainsbury Plc. Employee Reviews

Found 9,271 reviews matching the search
The work can be heavy and strange hours, pay OK for normal work hours but poor for early or late shifts. Everything is timed and they seem to prefer to employ younsters for example some Managers, to which there seem to be plenty do not look older then 19, with no life skills.
Pros
Staff discount after 3 months service
Cons
Pay not good for unsociable and heavy work. They will not give full time hours
Very ageist not interested in the older generation , nothing else to add about Sainsbury's the managers not really old enough in my opinion to run departments
Cons
Hard to start working in retail due to the fast paced environment. Get use to it after a couple of weeks and with the help of your colleagues it makes life a lot easier.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Draining
Great pay for students. I worked 14 hours a week 6am-1pm on Saturday and Sunday which kind of ruined my social life but the pay was good. I worked as an general assistant in the online department which is quite a fast paced and physically demanding job. Overall recommend for students - pretty flexible hours
Pros
Good pay, physical work
Cons
Long hours, poor management, social life
I enjoyed working on the counters. Until our department closed permanently. Worked checkout areas. Would I work for them again?? I would yes. Just offer me a suitable job please
Sainsburys as a group/ whole is good. The role itself is repetative. Management needs a complete overhaul!! And I mean every manager across the store. Management do not check in with their staff. They do not enquire employees welfare. I doubt it would be noticed if I left part way through a shift!My manager didn’t respond when I terminated my employment by why of telephone message (as management wasn’t available). No follow up to enquire why, no discussion about final pay, no attempt to ask me to stay. I asked colleagues who have been there years and they do not receive appraisals, 121s, incentives or job performance feedback. It’s the 1st job I have ever been in that doesn’t do this with their colleagues. Progression/ promotion is rare. Probably because appraisals don’t happen. Some staff have been doing the same role for years despite not enjoying it, because alternate job vacancies needs to be advertised before they can apply for them.
Pros
Management don’t check in with you, you’re left to get on with the job, fair pay, staff discount
Cons
Management, lack of motivation, no opportunity for progression. No job satisfaction.
The job itself was easy but very boring and there is no room for progression.The workplace is very toxic and the laziest of employers seem to be favoured by management... you are never credited if you work hard.Although the pay was okay it is more suited to a student looking for a first time job.Management dont know what alot of employees actually have to do during their shifts and only a few actually chip in and help you.
Pros
Okay pay, easy work
Cons
Management, gossipy/lazy colleagues
While the work is very physical and there are targets the benefit of a friendly work force helps and the managers are very active and approachable. There are also the benefits of plenty of training and opportunities for progression.
Pros
Team working, training, opportunities to try different departments, discount
Cons
Unusual hours, targets
I was a cleaner on call all the time you could clean two or three breakages at once beggers and thefts and drunks going in shop. But some staff there do a good job.
Pros
Times
Cons
Differacult customers
I guess it largely depends on which store you work at, it can heavily depend on each management team, whether you get a good or bad one. In my case, it was a poor managerial team. I was a driver for online deliveries in the NW. the shifts were mostly evenings and weekends, without a fair structure or balance. Last minute changes and no consideration for family life. Constant internal produce problems, including missing or damaged items. Failures to get on time departures were a daily issue. Poor vehicle maintenance, vermin in the rear yard. In my 18 months there, these issues were never resolved, even after multiple attempts by numerous drivers. The managers really let the side down. The job itself is ok, for a while. Customers can be rude on occasion. I worked throughout the COVID era, with very little health protection. No progression in reality, particularly for experienced people. They tend towards new graduates who will try to manage a department for £18k. They leave eventually. Staff turnover is regular and swift, which does not seem to bother the organisation. Overall, a disappointing experience from a company that I thought would operate more professionally.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Regular unsocial hours and poor management
Not a great company to work for. Work life balance is non existent with the hours. One shift could be 3pm-11pm another 3am-11am. No job stability as you can moved to another store when they feel like it and you are just treated like a piece on a chess board and if you say no they just move you anyway and make life bad for you. For what they pay you the level of work they expect is ridiculous. If you want a home life balance then apply somewhere else. If you want to be paid fairly then apply somewhere else. If you want job security then again apply somewhere else. Worst job i have ever been in.
Pros
Cons
Long hours. No work life balance. Poor salary. Treated like a chess piece. No job stability
Productive place to work, great job for people wanting part-time work, your days can sometimes drag or fly-by, depends what you do with your day, a lot of manual labour.
Pros
Discount
Your experience at this company will depend heavily on who you work with and who your managers are. My first year I did not enjoy my manager but once he left I started having good experiences with the managers that took his place.
Pros
Colleague Discount
Cons
Reliant on competent managers to have a good experience.
Can say over all good not bad the thing is no proper agency and shifts are early morning transport us little bit difficult nice canteen and security .
Pros
Early morning Shifts
Cons
No transport
The pay is alright but you don’t want to work here. All the managers have some kind of attitude problem. If you’re not one of their faves, they’ll treat you like dirt and have such outright favouritism that it’s a joke. Will constantly up their standards without giving you any support to reach these goals.
Cons
Boring work and terrible management
I quickly realised that management are extremely two faced! I’ve had them talking about me with other managers in front of me and just singling me out in general in front of others and honestly I have never felt so bad working at a place before. Yes the pay is decent but the hours are horrible but I mean doable if you are a morning person. I think there is a better way that management could go around doing things tbh instead of singling me out in front of everyone I should have been pulled aside and spoken to privately. We’re also asked to do dress shelves a lot and stock shelves even though this isn’t necessarily a part of our job description.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours
Worked nights, awful experience, poorly organised but nothing was ever managers fault always that staff weren’t doing enough, which was rubbish. Totally unsupportive
Awful place to work managers are not supportive and bully the staff! Don’t work there horrible company Expected to work on all areas unless your the managers favourite then you get away with doing nothing
Pros
Cons
Managers don’t no what there doing
Good seven years but the next seven years of working for the company was terrible change of managers bulling and not helping staff when they had problems treating staff like children
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Shocking bad managers
Overly punitive with disciplinary action taken for the slightest infractions. Micromanaged environment with strict and enforceable penalties for not meeting set criteria. Gossip and hearsay working environment. Horrible place to work with ‘watch your back’ mentality. Portishead store especially. Not recommended.
Pros
Staff discount 10%
Cons
Non fixed work times, Early starts, Poor salary vs work done, Inexperienced young and badly trained managers
Management don’t appreciate the amount of work collegues are expected to do. Your easily replaced,the company pays you could say a decent rate but the management expectations are sometimes ridiculous. Toxic workplace atmosphere, collegues are stressed and pushed too much.
Pros
Great collegues
  1. Employee reviews