Jack Richards & Son Ltd

Jack Richards & Son Ltd Employee Reviews

Nice staff but long unpaid hours

When I was there we were paid a 10 hour day rate but regularly worked over 10 hours so worked for free Staff were really nice but couldn't continue working for free

Pros

Nice staff and management

Cons

Long unpaid hours

A relaxed environment

Upto now haven't had any problems so far , sometimes takes a while for the DC's to answer the phone,but there's not just me driving for them,,some tight places to get in and out of delivering,,but overall for a big company pretty relaxed ,no one constantly chasing you and pushing you on , vehicles are well up to date and well maintained

Pros

Decent money for a decent days graft

Cons

Don't get paid breaks

Flexible and relaxed

Since working for this company for a few months I can honestly say I am overall very happy with how my experience has been so far. As a 4 on/4 off tramper the work is both varied and interesting whilst at the same time allowing plenty of time off for me to go do my hobbies. Hope things stay as they are as I have no reason to leave currently.

Pros

Very flexible, polite staff, varied work, no hassle.

Good firm

Like all places, they suit some and not others. I work 4/4 tramping which is great for me. I don’t give them any grief and they don’t give me any grief. Plenty of variety on my shift. Nice office people. Money is lower than some I’ve been offered but I am at ease working for JR and that counts for a lot. Dafs are… well they’re bloody dafs. Good fridge and microwave though which makes life a bit more comfortable. I got no plans to move on at the moment.

Pros

No grief… polite, friendly and helpful office staff

Cons

I’ve earned more

Friendly and supportive

First job HGV driving and found Richards supportive and helpful. Work all delivered through tablet which, some days you don't need to speak to anyone although it can be hard to get through to the office.Some days timing are tight but if there's any issues office don't pressure you as long as you keep them up to date. Equipment well maintained and trucks clean and tidy.Seem to be cutting back on night and weekend work which I was looking to do so left as I found a more local job otherwise I would have stayed on.

Pros

Tax free night out and meal allowances

Cons

Hourly pay needs to be better to keep drivers

too many chiefs

job itself is slow paced rdc work among others, early starts long days but the contact system is ridiculous phone calls that take 30 mins to answer or emails if you get a tablet which you wont. messages passed from one oerson to another then back to you with an answer. trying to get home after 6 on is usually a nightmare from the south of the uk.. company has grown too big to offer personal service to drivers., hence they cant get or keep experienced trampers anywhere in the uk., way too many office staff non experienced.

Pros

time off, new trucks decent trailers.

Cons

phone cals emails and waiting

Very good place to work first class transport manager

Very good vehicles and trailers , experienced staff helpful to new starters.The transport manager is helpful and supportive with an open door policy.Good around company.

Family orientated fun work place

I've loved my time at Jack Richards so far. I've been made to feel very welcome and the training that has been provided has been first class. Nothing is ever too much trouble and you are always made to feel valued. Everyone is so friendly and the company has a really solid family friendly ethos.

Pros

Friendly workplace, pay is good, varied job role

Cons

n/a

Promise the world and lie

Pay is constantly messed up I'm getting 7k less before tax than was promised at interview & contract but they don't want to fix it. No communication and is the drivers who take the punishment every day its more aggro. If I weren't trying to get a mortgage I'd quit and go back to agency.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, low pay, poor management, griping and moaning.

Official response from Jack Richards & Son Ltd

15 December 2020
Having incorrect pay is incredibly frustrating and absolutely needs to be resolved - Pick up the phone and speak with Payroll directly, they are on your side to get this resolved. Your Driver Controller and the Training Team are also available to discuss this matter with - or alternatively, email Beth so she can put you in touch with the best person to speak too. Let's get this issue resolved!

satisfied

Good management vary friendly staff but like to cheat with money every month there is a shortage. tramper receives less money than day or night drivers, but we do the same job

Pros

friendly staff

Cons

Money

Family feel environment

I started at JR as a new pass. I was provided with a mentor for a few weeks which helped build my confidence and improve my skills prior to hitting the road on my own. The mentor program was good and the mentors are excellent.The training team are always on hand to help be it a general question or guidance out on the road.My Driver Controler has my best interests at heart. The planners do their best to ensure I get home on my home day. Never pressured for more, just asked if I would be able to. Which ever way I answer is accepted.Management are approachable and try their hardest to accommodate.My truck is of a good standard and looked after along with the rest of the fleet. All in all, the only thing I would change is the wages. But this is the same across the haulage industry, I think we have just been forgotten about. But JR do make up for this as best they can with the meal allowance provided on top of the night out money.Overtime is always available but never any pressure to pick it up. Can’t see myself leaving any time soon. I few holy hear, settled, and feel like I am part of the family.

Pros

Meal Allowance; family feel run company

Cons

Wages (an extra pound an hour would make all the difference, especially after Covid-19)

I like this job

I’ve been at Jack Richards a year. And I love the job I do a 4 on 4 off rota. and I know exactly what day I’m working. Good trucks. Good traffic office. I do the work and I get paid. Plenty of contracts so I can turn up anywhere all over the uk. It’s not easy. General haulage isn’t. But I love this company

Pros

Veh standards. All the same. Good up to date units

Cons

Tablet issues

HGV driver/tramping/ 4 on 4 off

Overall my experience in my first six months with Jack Richards has been a positive one I think they are very organized and have a good support network. The hardest part of the job for me is the long hours but there no more than any other driving job and some weeks are better than others again very normal. The trucks are comfortable and have everything you need whilst you are away.

Pros

Good trucks/organized/good support

Official response from Jack Richards & Son Ltd

15 December 2020
We're pleased to hear you are enjoying your time with us. It's been a long and difficult year, but we are pleased we've been able to keep our drivers safe, busy and out on the roads. Stay safe!

Only if you have to

The people are nice enough but the pay is way way below average. Agency driving is the only way forward for good drivers now who want a real life wage.

Pros

Not really any

Cons

Pay is poor to say the least

Started well, finished sadly

Had a great interview and started as a casual driver within days. Main unpleasant issue was obnoxious manager at Northwich. Pay was wrong a few times so had to keep an eye on the pay packet. Work was good. Planners were great but phone calls took ages to be answered. Ended work with them as not given any work for weeks and refused to furlough me.as only casual not full time

Pros

Flexible hours, actually pleasant planners

Cons

Generally not valued, treated second class as casual driver

Jack Richards and son

I am so happy about the working conditions and how did they care about the workers even there truck are very nitty as i was reading for the background they have go record for the background

Pros

I don't know about disadvantaged

Cons

Get good experience

It was ok

Job was good. Pay was poor. Vehicles and trailers were good. Management were very inexperienced in my view. Job could have been a lot better. Treat well, but pay let it down.

Be ready to hurry up and wait

Planning seems to be lacking on days, contracts department need to get more contracts ASAP. Lack of planners mean long waits on phone to solve problems or get next job. The vehicles are first class with a turn around every 3 years. Wages although not as high as a few companies are certainly well above most other haulage firms.

Lead Driver... more like Spare Driver...

Promises, promises given during the interview and induction but in reality you are just Transport Managers (TM) "b*itch" for rubbish jobs that he cannot cope with on just doesn't like doing. Countless meetings for meetings sake, no buy-in to continual improvement (costs too much) and having to endure the TM from slating each and every driver and client's off. So unprofessional, its barely believable. The sites H&S is a joke and people are virtually scared to challenge the appointed H&S adviser, as he hides behind his clipboard instead of just staing its Company policy. TM is dead against putting vehicles VoR, even asking me to complete a task in a Red Notice vehicle before dropping it off at the Garage (I refused). All the Driver team cannot stand the TM as he is not interested in work/life balance for any of the team, just interested in getting as many trailers filled as possible. Drivers are forced to go beyond WTD and Driver hours otherwise risk a 'night-out' (allowing for Trampers of course), as schedules are unrealistic. Loads are stacked without any prior planning, then Drivers are blamed for product damage.

If you don’t fit good luck

Unless you like to brown nose your opinion will not matter, the work load is a little ridiculous. I’ve seen employees team up to get rid of other employees

Bad job

Long hours poor pay poor management The trucks are poor no motivation to go the extra mile staff have no communication skills and think the trucks have RAF on the front instead of DAF

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jack Richards & Son Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement